Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842

    Bobcock in Vietnam - Part 2 - Halong Bay

    I took a two day trip to Halong Bay, I was originally going for 3, but had to change as I needed to be back in Hanoi because my wife and kids were joining me.

    I must say I was disappointed. Not by the bay itself, but by the fact the boat went to the same area everyone else did. Stopped there and went no further. The idea of cruising around was appealing. sadly we did none of that. There are so many boats doing the same thing, it's hardly ideal.

    I'm not that good at this sort of photography, so I'd appreciate any pointers.

    Just so Nawty feels happy, I'll confess, there are some cheats in these artworks (blue skies). it was grey all the time.

    1. taken from a fast moving bus on the way to Halong.



    2. just too many boats.................



    3 - 8. Pictures taken inside the rather large cave. Name escapes me now.










  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    8 - 9. Not the greatest sunset ever.





    10 - 15 On the second morning we did a short trip to Cat Bah Island to drop some people off, then headed back to Halong. Nice trip, but just not enough of the scenery to do it justice.













    16. Heading back to port, it was like a race, loads of boats all headed in the same direction.



    17 - 20. The countryside is fantastic driving back, so green. I just wanted to stop and walk out into the fields with a camera, but I was reduced to a 400mm lens and a seat at the back of the bus.

    Some of them are not too bad though.








  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock
    I'd appreciate any pointers.
    Never use a square vignette.


  4. #4
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Different vignette, slightly different crop.


  5. #5
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    14-08-2018 @ 09:26 AM
    Posts
    25,743
    Some nice pictures there mate.

    Not much you can do about the amount of boats that cruise that place as every bugger and his dog fronts up for a look see.

    Give it a few years and things will quieten down abit as the punters will wisen up to the rip offs going down in vietnam and stop going there.

    Slippery little buggers they are.
    Last edited by Marmite the Dog; 01-09-2008 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Turned the volume down
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    I've deleted one of the pics because it was crap.

    Actually I found the Vietnamese very pleasant, very helpful and the 'rip offs' not much worse than how real tourists get treated here.

  7. #7
    Member wichenburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    04-10-2011 @ 09:40 PM
    Location
    Dubai
    Posts
    75

    Thumbs up

    I like your pictures, I think Halong looks great. Would you recommend it.

  8. #8
    ...................
    sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    23-01-2017 @ 01:18 AM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,027
    nice one bob

  9. #9
    Boxed Member
    Nawty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-04-2015 @ 07:37 PM
    Location
    in a state of mind
    Posts
    9,711
    I like the too many boats one meself, very nice.

    What is a vinigarette ??

    Keep trying BobsKnob, you're getting better at it...

    Now if you only took the camera into the toilet that time I might have believed you.

  10. #10
    Boxed Member
    Nawty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-04-2015 @ 07:37 PM
    Location
    in a state of mind
    Posts
    9,711
    'back of the bus'.....how appropriate

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Bobcock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Nawty.

    You really are a bell end.

    Oh and I did, I just never showed you the picture.

    I don't like these pics, just put them up to continue the story, next is Hoi An, back to choosing only good shots (if I find any).

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    25-10-2009 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    5
    Wonderful pictures. I, myself, enjoyed Halong Bay but I only went for a day trip there (had a very tight schedule). The cave is called "Cave of surprises" by the way

  13. #13
    Member Don Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    12-06-2012 @ 05:59 PM
    Location
    Incommunicado
    Posts
    77
    Nice photos Bobcock. I went to Halong Bay about 3 1/2 years ago. I did two nights on the bay and I'm glad I did. On the first morning as the rest of the passengers returned to port I was transported to my own private small junk. It was just me, my translator/guide and a crew of 3. We went further out into the bay, visited a floating village and went out to the edge of the bay were I could spend some time on a private beach. On the way back in we stopped and my guide and I did some kayaking inside the karsk, totally isolated, it was wonderful.

    If you do go back I recommend going ahead and staying two nights. Also, the climb up Tito Island for sunset photos will give you a great panorama of the bay.

  14. #14
    Member Aussie Tigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    05-12-2015 @ 06:03 PM
    Location
    udon thani thailand /Adelaide South Australia
    Posts
    958
    Took my thai wife to Halong Bay,been there before but first time for her. Kids in the street were shits even my wife who is normally reserved gave them a blast for their rudeness.
    Vietnam is easy to travel but last time more touts and aggressive bastards around.
    Sapa in particular was a trap,wonderful scenery but the gangs there that intimidate the local bus drivers from the train station made it the last time I will go there.
    South Vietnam ok but the further North you go in my opinion the less friendly it is.

  15. #15
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:34 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    26,695
    Did you go on the boat?
    If so what was the cost?

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ho View Post
    Nice photos Bobcock. I went to Halong Bay about 3 1/2 years ago. I did two nights on the bay and I'm glad I did. On the first morning as the rest of the passengers returned to port I was transported to my own private small junk. It was just me, my translator/guide and a crew of 3. We went further out into the bay, visited a floating village and went out to the edge of the bay were I could spend some time on a private beach. On the way back in we stopped and my guide and I did some kayaking inside the karsk, totally isolated, it was wonderful.

    If you do go back I recommend going ahead and staying two nights. Also, the climb up Tito Island for sunset photos will give you a great panorama of the bay.
    How did you organise that ? I had a similar experience to Bob close about 10 years ago.

  17. #17
    Member Don Ho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    12-06-2012 @ 05:59 PM
    Location
    Incommunicado
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Wilson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Ho View Post
    Nice photos Bobcock. I went to Halong Bay about 3 1/2 years ago. I did two nights on the bay and I'm glad I did. On the first morning as the rest of the passengers returned to port I was transported to my own private small junk. It was just me, my translator/guide and a crew of 3. We went further out into the bay, visited a floating village and went out to the edge of the bay were I could spend some time on a private beach. On the way back in we stopped and my guide and I did some kayaking inside the karsk, totally isolated, it was wonderful.

    If you do go back I recommend going ahead and staying two nights. Also, the climb up Tito Island for sunset photos will give you a great panorama of the bay.
    How did you organise that ? I had a similar experience to Bob close about 10 years ago.
    I didn't know that I had organized anything special. It just so happened that I was the only traveler that booked 2 nights on the bay. In the afternoon I transferred back to the large Junk with the next group of 1 nighters. Only bummer was the next morning had the same iteneray as the first morning with a trip to Splendid Cave.

  18. #18
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    18-02-2018 @ 04:17 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcock View Post
    I've deleted one of the pics because it was crap.

    Actually I found the Vietnamese very pleasant, very helpful and the 'rip offs' not much worse than how real tourists get treated here.
    There's a noticeable difference between the northerners and the southerners.
    I haven't met any Viets I'd describe as pleasant, but they have got a very picturesque country... I should dig out my old photos sometime.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •