Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    I am in Jail
    Smeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    A charming yet pathetic country
    Posts
    4,397

    Circumnavigating Europe by car

    Has anyone done this?

    I am beginning to put together plans for a 6 week tour around my continent this summer. I'm planning on taking a car ferry from Newcastle to Norway and then driving many thousands of miles (via Estonia, Greece, Portugal, and many other countries in between) to end up at Santandar for the car ferry back to Plymouth.

    Will try to run a thread on it as I travel (perhaps one pics upload per week).

  2. #2
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:54 AM
    Posts
    28,402
    Good one Smeg and look forward to seeing the pictures and reading your travel diary.

    I've driven across central Europe starting in the UK and depending upon the time of the year it is absolutely beautiful.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Yup, and its a lot easier now with the same passport and currency.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    teddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    08-03-2015 @ 08:12 PM
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
    Has anyone done this?

    I am beginning to put together plans for a 6 week tour around my continent this summer. I'm planning on taking a car ferry from Newcastle to Norway and then driving many thousands of miles (via Estonia, Greece, Portugal, and many other countries in between) to end up at Santandar for the car ferry back to Plymouth.

    Will try to run a thread on it as I travel (perhaps one pics upload per week).
    Don't they have their own?

  5. #5
    R.I.P.
    patsycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    7,393
    Switzerland is closed at this time of year.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Spent 2 months doing it one summer.

    Gets a bit same same.

    2 months around SE Asia would be for more fun/interesting.

    Especially if you swop that boring saloon for something a bit more fun.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    A few friends have gone around europe and eastern europe in old cars. They bought a citroen BX GTi and drove around until it broke then bought another car in europe somewhere.

  8. #8
    I am in Jail
    Smeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    A charming yet pathetic country
    Posts
    4,397
    I will do a blog search later as others have bound to have done this journey before. There is nothing like pinching other people's ideas and hard work to smooth my own journey. Any known links would be welcome.

    Nice to see that my bored thaiophile stalkers are already filling this thread. Oh well, never mind. Gonna change my username soon.

  9. #9
    I am in Jail
    Smeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    A charming yet pathetic country
    Posts
    4,397
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    Yup, and its a lot easier now with the same passport and currency.
    I'll probably use my debit card the whole way round, which is even easier. I need to check up on exactly which countries do and don't use the Euro.

    As for the passport thing, yep, I'm a European, just like the other half a billion or whatever it is. I'm actually all for this United States of Europe thing (as long as everyone has to speak English )

  10. #10
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,540
    ^ you have a lot in common with blackgang

  11. #11
    I am in Jail
    Smeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    A charming yet pathetic country
    Posts
    4,397
    I googled "circumnavigate europe" and this is the first blog that came up

    Traveljournals.net - Traveler mala - Circumnavigation: Europe

    I quite like the below bits

    The Ten Hour Flight Back In Time, Athens, Greece
    And now I am in Athens. I've heard that Athens is smoggy and polluted but (and this may be because I'm still washing off the smell of Bangkok) I just don't see it.
    The Last Few Days, London, United Kingdom
    But somehow I made it, head to toe, back home. All that cheeseball nonsense about how travel makes you appreciate where you're from isn't so nonsensical after all.


    I see that my stalkers are still busy.
    Here you go ant, you can copy and post this 30 times per day to save yourself some time.

    Perhaps you'll use all the time you save to go and argue with strangers on other forums.

    Quote Originally Posted by a mentally unstable ant robertson, claims to live happily in thailand with a wife and kids but who spends his weekends arguing online
    blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Will be nice to be reminded of how beautiful a region we live in compared to bland Europe.

  13. #13
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    Will be nice to be reminded of how beautiful a region we live in compared to bland Europe.
    Yeh, right. SE Asia has nothing on Europe as far as scenery is concerned, I could understand that comment if it was in reference to Australia and SE Asia, though.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    SE Asia has nothing on Europe as far as scenery is concerned,
    I wouldn't agree. Besides, there's more to beauty than scenery poodles.

    Germans
    French
    The dutch
    Swiss
    Austrians

    Imagine a few weeks with these people.

    You'd almost be insane enough to start telling people on internet forums half a world away about all the Taiwanese tycoon daughters and 52' yachts you have.

  15. #15
    I am in Jail
    Smeg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Location
    A charming yet pathetic country
    Posts
    4,397
    Quote Originally Posted by English Noodles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    Will be nice to be reminded of how beautiful a region we live in compared to bland Europe.
    Yeh, right. SE Asia has nothing on Europe as far as scenery is concerned, I could understand that comment if it was in reference to Australia and SE Asia, though.
    Yep, correct. I've been all over SE asia, and there are very few spectacular places. I'm really looking forward to getting to know Europe better.

    Then again, if you are chairman, you live in thailand, where you hate the people, and yet you don't ever want to go back to the UK because you hate it there too.

    I think he is one of those who chose thailand over suicide, probably on the toss of a coin. Shame it was heads not tails that came up....

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by English Noodles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chairman Mao
    Will be nice to be reminded of how beautiful a region we live in compared to bland Europe.
    Yeh, right. SE Asia has nothing on Europe as far as scenery is concerned, I could understand that comment if it was in reference to Australia and SE Asia, though.
    Yep, correct. I've been all over SE asia, and there are very few spectacular places. I'm really looking forward to getting to know Europe better.

    Then again, if you are chairman, you live in thailand, where you hate the people, and yet you don't ever want to go back to the UK because you hate it there too.

    I think he is one of those who chose thailand over suicide, probably on the toss of a coin. Shame it was heads not tails that came up....

    Ah I see, this isn't really about his summer holidays, this is just Rant #1 in a slightly different form.

    There's no need to structure a complicated holiday merely to pander to us. Go to Benidorm or Rhyl.

  17. #17
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    20-06-2012 @ 03:24 PM
    Posts
    5,528
    Going round Europe in a car. The fuel costs will be staggering!
    Better to do it in a mini bus and have 12 of your mates go with you to share the fuel costs.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    good2bhappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    11-11-2018 @ 05:44 PM
    Location
    Klong Samwa
    Posts
    15,309
    Get more booze and backy as well

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •