Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    516

    Uk visa for Thai wife

    We want to move back to the UK, for a while at least.

    I've read that I have to have 6 months pay slips and a place for the wife and kids to live before my wife can get a settlement visa (kids dual nationality so no problem there).

    Question is this.

    We don't want to spend 6-12 months apart, and have enough money for my wife not to work.

    I have a job lined up too.

    We own 2 apartments here outright which bring us 45,000bt a month.

    So can we all come back with my wife on a temporary visa and 6 months later, when I have fulfilled the settlement visa requirements, my wife just fly back to Thailand to get her settlement visa and then come back?

    Any info appreciated.

    Cheers.
    Step by step, inch by inch, piece by piece.

  2. #2
    Veni vidi fugi
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25-06-2018 @ 08:01 PM
    Posts
    16,408
    You need 6 months salary slips giving total earnings over 9,300 GBP Gross (the exchange rate used is at the time they access it by the way, not when you were paid it) in that period. You need a work contract for a perm job earning more than 18,600 gross per year signed and sealed and a real company who when contacted will agree this is true - starting within 3 month of your scheduled return.

    45k baht is not enough per month for spouse visa requirements. Would need to be 70,000 THB for 6 months.

    You can indeed fly your wife over, although the chances of you getting her a visa (reason to return) will be slim as you will be working and living in the UK. The spouse visa takes 2-12 weeks, but usually more like 3-5 months from Thailand unless the financials are slam dunk. She needs to take English test, and also TB test as well.

    Have you any savings? 63k GBP is all you need in the bank for 6 months.

    Savings can be less than that, and there is a formula you can use to have the saving counted as salary. So you could say 45k baht + 30kgbp in savings and that meets the criteria.

    (Amount of savings 16,000) 2.5 = X


    X 18,600 = amount if income needed to cover the remainder


    Example: 25,000 cash savings


    (25000 16000) 2.5 = 3,600


    18,600 3,600 = 15,000

    savvy?

    Income can come from rental properties. It's income after all, and I suspect can be used as income for the next part as well.

    Do you actually have a job with salary? Fee free to PM

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    516
    ^
    Cheers, will pm ya.

    Have 45k thai income and job starts at 30k stirling (proper company)

  4. #4
    Utopian Expat
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,084
    You could bring her over on a 6 months tourist visa while you accumutate the criteria.
    Then fly back for a holiday and bang the settlement application in.
    She really needs to get stuck into that English test as a lot of Thais struggle with that.

  5. #5
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    27,451
    Good info pseudo. And we bitch n moan about getting a long stay visa in Thailand.

  6. #6
    hangin' around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    12,084
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    You could bring her over on a 6 months tourist visa while you accumutate the criteria.
    Then fly back for a holiday and bang the settlement application in.
    She really needs to get stuck into that English test as a lot of Thais struggle with that.
    Perhaps because the main person they are picking the language up from is accumutating the criteria?

  7. #7
    Veni vidi fugi
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25-06-2018 @ 08:01 PM
    Posts
    16,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Good info pseudo. And we bitch n moan about getting a long stay visa in Thailand.
    Tell you what- after all the shit we are going through for various reasons I will never ever complain about UK visas ever again. It's fucking ludicrous some of the things they want now including minimum time spent in country in the first tranche of visa.... we've had to stop all our travelling now as otherwise we're fucked. Well... no, because I'm bored with the UK so gonna piss of back to Asia I reckon.

    Shag - the UK is shit. DON'T DO IT. You will regret it.

  8. #8
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    16,509
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Shag - the UK is shit. DON'T DO IT. You will regret it.
    Seconded. Sooner I can finish here the better.

  9. #9
    Veni vidi fugi
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25-06-2018 @ 08:01 PM
    Posts
    16,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    You could bring her over on a 6 months tourist visa while you accumutate the criteria.
    If you can do it straight up it is a SHIT load easier. The big risk is that not getting the visit visa would seriously impede process of Spouse visa.

    45k thai income is not enough (is that only from the rentals?) - you would need to show 31k in the bank for 6 months OR a family member can stuff it in your bank account but for gawds sake you need them to write a letter saying it is a gift that does not need repaying.

  10. #10
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:03 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,449
    It's been great for the kids. Can't say I'm a huge fan of this perpetual murk, but I'll suffer it to get the nippers off to a good start.

    It's a long drawn out, protracted and painful process, Alberto, but ultimately worth it.

  11. #11
    เกี่ยวข้อง HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    3,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    Good info pseudo. And we bitch n moan about getting a long stay visa in Thailand.
    Indeed...

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Chittychangchang View Post
    You could bring her over on a 6 months tourist visa while you accumutate the criteria.
    Then fly back for a holiday and bang the settlement application in.
    That's what I'd like to do mate. From your own experience, is that possible?

    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Shag - the UK is shit. DON'T DO IT. You will regret it.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Seconded. Sooner I can finish here the better.
    Yeah...I know guys. If it was just me and the mrs, I wouldn't even entertain the idea. Regardless of the regularly occurring stupidity here, as adults, it's a joy to live here. Great weather, easy and cheap to do things, and all-round just a great place to live overall.

    Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap View Post
    I'll suffer it to get the nippers off to a good start.
    Hit the nail on the head there Slap. As parents, it's our duty to give the kids the best start in life.
    And while it's fun for us adults, the kids are very disadvantaged in the long run, if Thailand, it's (globally speaking) backward ways and educational system is all they know.

    Thanks for the input chaps
    Cheers.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    08-06-2018 @ 03:36 AM
    Posts
    9,964
    Only reason I did it was for my daughter was 5 when we moved to the UK, 14 now after 10 years of living in Thailand. 9 years just flown by and not too many more to suffer now. In fairness UK isn't that bad unless of course you're skint.
    Independence day - June 23 for Brits.

  14. #14
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    16,509
    For me the main reason was to have my son grow up with a sense of independence, freedom, and self-sufficiency. I found that the state education system in the UK is no better and often worse than the private education system in Thailand (I paid 7k per year for my son's school in Thailand) while private schools in the UK are now charging 35k a year. The move has, however been worth it to see him flower as a fearless, independent boy who knows he can do anything and go anywhere.
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    516
    Nice one Bob. You've made an important point, and one that I haven't been able to put my finger on yet. It's not just the education, it's the whole. The UK instills an awareness and a sense of confidence.

    Cheers.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    08-06-2018 @ 03:36 AM
    Posts
    9,964
    The visa system for non EU spouses is scandalous these days and I wouldn't want to go through it now. Back in 2008 got the settlement visa straight away from Bangkok and because had been married over 4 years living overseas got indefinite leave to remain straight away aswell and Brit passport for the misses after 2 years of being in UK. All the shit you have to go through now like living and having a job in the UK for 6 months, the financial requirements and all the tests the spouses have to do now in all honesty I probably wouldn't do it now.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    516
    Yeah, I hear you mate. But it is what it is, and we'll have to try and deal with it.

  18. #18
    Veni vidi fugi
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25-06-2018 @ 08:01 PM
    Posts
    16,408
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    The visa system for non EU spouses is scandalous these days and I wouldn't want to go through it now. Back in 2008 got the settlement visa straight away from Bangkok and because had been married over 4 years living overseas got indefinite leave to remain straight away aswell and Brit passport for the misses after 2 years of being in UK. All the shit you have to go through now like living and having a job in the UK for 6 months, the financial requirements and all the tests the spouses have to do now in all honesty I probably wouldn't do it now.
    the people hit worst by this is women, funnily enough, but most don't think of that. A Woman with young kids basically has zero chance of earning above the threshold and there are literally thousand of women and children in the uK whose husband and kids dad is stuck in another country. They make no account of the fact that the dad would work and together they can meet it. It is the worst type of misogynistic shite from that complete whore Theresa may. One more reason why she deserves stringing up.

  19. #19
    Member davethailand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    16-07-2018 @ 01:14 AM
    Location
    Pattaya
    Posts
    296
    Took me 2 tries and about 6k all in, ridiculous and thats after (at the time) 12 years of marriage.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    08-06-2018 @ 03:36 AM
    Posts
    9,964
    Basically because of unlimited immigration from within the EU only people they could hit was non EU citizens in any feeble attempt to get the numbers down and because of this whole pikey families from Romania or Bulgaria can just stroll into the UK but a non EU spouse of a UK citizen has to go through hell.

  21. #21
    Veni vidi fugi
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    25-06-2018 @ 08:01 PM
    Posts
    16,408
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Basically because of unlimited immigration from within the EU only people they could hit was non EU citizens in any feeble attempt to get the numbers down and because of this whole pikey families from Romania or Bulgaria can just stroll into the UK but a non EU spouse of a UK citizen has to go through hell.

    It might be seen as slightly more sinister than that. As you say, under EU law, an EU'er can exercise treaty rights to move to another country. They have 3 months to find work and then they must legalise their stay with a residence card. As part of this they are allowed to bring their spouses, children, dependent parents and family.... from anywhere in the world. Anyone really. Once in, all of those people get a 5 yr resident card giving them immediate and full access to all benefits and healthcare. After 5 years they can apply for a permanent residence card and a passport shortly there after. Note, all these pro EU bastards saying "ohh i'm french lived here 15 years and they are kicking me out" never bothered to legalise their stay as per EU laws... so fuck em.

    Anyway I digress. The EU could have given the same rights to nationals of the country but they decided not to. It was not requested, the EU didn't want to. Now why? Here's a potential reason. People who move to the UK under EU law associate themselves with the EU. Non EU family that move to the UK under British Law associate more with being British. If your plan, which it is, openly, is a united states of Europe with full federalisation, and no nation states, it is vital to water down each state with as many EU'ers as possible and keep out as many people who will associate with the actual country. Just one of the many many ways they achieve this.

    There is a VERY buoyant trade in Eastern European women marrying pakis and Rajes and all the desperadoes in middle and southern Asia, for cash. They pop to the UK for the occasional meetings required with immigration and and get paid handsomely for this. They don't even need to get shagged by them. In return then get 5 yrs, and then PR after 2.5 years when they divorce. They then marry their imported little number and bring all of their familes.... waving their EU flags.

    Last edited by pseudolus; 13-01-2018 at 01:49 AM.

  22. #22
    Utopian Expat
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,084
    You'll just have to chip away at everything and eventually you'll get there.

    At the end of the day it's all about giving your children the best possible start in life.

    My children are all top of their classes in an ofsted outstanding school.

    Lot's of hurdles along the way.

    Here's my short story on the topic from this thread...

    http://teakdoor.com/thai-visas-and-v...your-wife.html (Tips + tricks to help get your wife settled legally in the UK)

    We did it the hard way!

    Here's a brief history of the rigmarole we went through...

    Married 2003
    Tried to get her back to the U.K soon after, was refused and told to come back in 6 months with more evidence of a relationship and paperwork etc

    Returned to UK alone, sorted out a place to live/bank statements/ kept records off the contact between us etc

    4 months later after i had everything in place i printed off the 6 month tourist visa application from the Bangkok embassy website and filled it in as the missus could not write English well enough. I sent all the paperwork to her house and she took it in to the embassy and paid the fee, same day she got her 6 month visa

    I bought a ticket and sent it over to her, only Turkish Airlines would send the ticket to me first. I bought a one year open return from Thailand to Manchester for 400.

    She received the ticket from me one week later and was on her way.

    At this point my friends and family didn't believe i was married.

    So off i pop to the airport to pick the wife up trying to remember what she looked like and wondering how it would all go as we'd only been married a month before i had to return.

    Bunch off flowers in hand reduced from the petrol station en route(Nige will love that touch). I get a phone call from the Border agency saying they've detained my wife blah,blah.
    It was my best mates bird winding me up
    Then i get the real phone call 10 mins later from a real U.K Border Agency immigration Officer who i promptly tell to take his face for a shit and hang up.
    He phones back quite bemused and once i'd straightened things out with the humorless twat as he fails to see the funny side.
    He states categorically that my wife must leave before the six months.
    I reply"Yes, i know!She's only coming for a holiday that's why she's got a return ticket"

    They let her in!

    Fast forward 6 months and she is pregnant and i apply to the Home office to extend her leave on the grounds that pregnant women can not fly whilst 6 months pregnant because off the risk of DVT .
    I even get my local MP involved and the immigration advisory service.
    We fought the Home Office on Article 8 - The right to family life.
    The Home office took time to reply and by then we have number 1 child.
    It actually takes nearly 3 years to get in front off the Home Office immigration Judge at court and by then we have number 2 child.
    The Judge was sympathetic to our plight but said we must return to Thailand to go through the correct procedure and gain the settlement visa.
    However she said the "deemed leave" my wife had been on for the past few years had served us well(she had a point).

    2006 the kids and i on 3 month tourist visas and the missus on her Thai passport return to start the settlement process.
    If we had applied for settlement instead of a poxy tourist visa then she would have had ILR and a British passport within the three years as the rules stood back then.

    You live and learn and plans change..

    2006 we put the settlement visa application in to the Bangkok British Embassy via their outsourcing centre, forget the name.
    Had a 6 week minimum wait so headed down to Phuket for a the duration and chilled.

    Did a bit of sight seeing and tourist stuff then headed back to Bangkok for the finale.
    Stayed in a hotel in sukumvit .
    I ended up being a free visa consultant for the many Brits trying to get their girl friends over to the UK. Some funny stories, but that's for another thread.

    Had the interview in the embassy eventually with the Cockney black FCO officer who was looking for a fight.
    She wouldn't let me in the interview, but i barged in with the babies in each arm and said"They need their mum" and walked out to let them get on with interogating the wife.
    The "DVT" angle was our trump card along with a letter from the Home Office judge saying our application should go smoothly in Bangkok.
    This the officer was pissed off about as she wanted to refuse my missus for overstaying by 3 years. It was deemed leave and not overstaying so her hands where tied and she granted the visa.
    The Embassy staff were obnoxious b'stards and we gave them as good as they gave us.
    The Thai receptionist behind the counter came out to have a word with me saying it was better if i took the kids back to the hotel and wait.
    I said we are not going anywhere unless together as a family and with the wife and visa.
    I let the babies scream near her microphone on the protective glass and watched with amusement as her serene demure evaporated.
    Even the Gurkha security guard hung around fiddling with his strap on his khukuri.

    We left and celebrated, returning to the U.K after 3 months and 10k lighter.

    When the settlement ran out in 2008 my wife has not completed the Life in the U.K test so we applied for Further Leave to remain.
    Because of family life and our work commitments 2010 came around quickly and child 3 had been born.
    So another 2 year FLR was applied for.
    The kids started school and nursery the wife got stuck in to the revision for the LITUK Test and passed.
    We applied for Indefinate leave to remain and then British Citizenship.

    2013 my wife was the proudest person swearing allegience to the Queen and finally becoming a British Citizen.

    She had her passport 6 weeks later

    Ten years it took from start to finish!


    CCC

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    08-06-2018 @ 03:36 AM
    Posts
    9,964
    Sorry only skimmed your post as low attention span and all that but back in 2006 things should have been a piece of piss and basically free aswell before Jack Straw introduced the massive fees in 2007.

    I hadn't set foot in the UK since 2001 when I applied for wife's settlement visa in 2008 and was granted straight away with indefinite leave to remain also based on being married for over 4 years already and living overseas.

    Obviously I appreciate things are totally different now in 2018 and not that I generally have a lot of sympathy or empathy for others but this is one subject I do and people shouldn't be subjected to the current criteria which are quite frankly medieval in many respects.

  24. #24
    Utopian Expat
    Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,084
    Visas were easy back then but I fooked up getting her a tourist visa instead of full settlement. We didn't intend to stay in Blighty for long but the baby changed everything.

    No way was I bringing my kids up in Thailand!

    Off topic but an amusing anecdote...

    Back then we made friends in a Welsh village and about a dozen of the local lads had brought Thai wives over all on the dole or sick. They fabricated bank statements and tenancy agreements.
    There is now a village in Wales where half the kids in the school are Luk krueng/ Welsh thai
    They all speaka Welsh as a first language and emphatically hate the English.
    A village of English hating Luk kruengs, priceless.




    You carn't even blag your earnings nowadays as they want to see self employed SA302'S , proof of income and tax paid issued by HMRC.

    Wouldn't want to go through it all again.

    The OP will be OK with his earnings and new job, good luck to him.

    I know it's difficult but integration with other non Thais is crucial for the Thai wife when settling outside of the Kingdom.
    Last edited by Chittychangchang; 13-01-2018 at 06:31 AM.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Posts
    11,904
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Tell you what- after all the shit we are going through for various reasons I will never ever complain about UK visas ever again. It's fucking ludicrous some of the things they want now including minimum time spent in country in the first tranche of visa.... we've had to stop all our travelling now as otherwise we're fucked. Well... no, because I'm bored with the UK so gonna piss of back to Asia I reckon.

    Shag - the UK is shit. DON'T DO IT. You will regret it.
    Dream on Suds, dream on.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •