Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,362

    Hunting for bargains in the UKs supermarkets

    My local shop in Thailand is probably the best shop in the world. In fact, if Carlsberg made shops, they'd make them just like that.

    Situated a mere minute's motorcycle ride away (walk? walk?! What is this 'walk' you speak of?) it comprises a humble shack, packed to the brim with interesting proteins, a vibrant fruit and vegetable display, a healthy smattering of instant noodles and starched-based snack treats (crisps to the LAYman - no I won't get my coat, I'll stay here and bask in my absolute fabulousness), a refrigerator positively bursting with award winning lager beer, and a whole host of frequenters of almost fungal proportions in various states of absolute intoxication who are basically there to serve the purpose of making me look great due to the fucking uselessness.

    But just recently, about an hour ago actually, I think....I think I inadvertently happened upon a retail venture which perhaps surpasses the aforementioned.

    It goes, quite cryptically, by Waitrose

    And it sells top-drawer light bites for a pittance.

    Exhibit A:



    Exhibit B:



    Join me next week when I hope to be fellated for free by a part-time Bratislavian bakery assistant behind the bins at Asda.

  2. #2
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,357
    Quote Originally Posted by somtamslap
    Join me next week when I hope to be fellated for free by a part-time Bratislavian bakery assistant called Boris behind the bins at Asda.
    Fair enough. Don't make it a picture thread please.

  3. #3
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil
    Don't make it a picture thread please.
    I'll probably just end up stealing a bottle of low-end vodka and necking it in the car park. Now that deserves a pictorial.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    6,772
    Was the sell by date up on the crisps ,

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,635
    Indeed slap.

    Price fixing, cartels, monopolies, greed and laziness are a staple of the thai market.

    Resulting in high prices and poor service. The high profit margins ensure that the thai can survive by watching tv or sleeping all day, moving themselves only to serve the the one customer a day that will keep them in profit.

    Contrast that with the market in a developed country where instead of monopolies, cartels, price fixing and intimidation of competitors, there exists open competition, innovation, hard work and free trade, where the customer is king and their custom is fought for and valued.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 05:18 AM
    Posts
    5,616
    I managed 10 packets of Mama, Instant Tom Yum Noodles for 2.50p the other day.

  7. #7
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:04 AM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    25,936
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Indeed slap.

    Price fixing, cartels, monopolies, greed and laziness are a staple of the thai market.

    Resulting in high prices and poor service. The high profit margins ensure that the thai can survive by watching tv or sleeping all day, moving themselves only to serve the the one customer a day that will keep them in profit.

    Contrast that with the market in a developed country where instead of monopolies, cartels, price fixing and intimidation of competitors, there exists open competition, innovation, hard work and free trade, where the customer is king and their custom is fought for and valued.
    Where's that again?

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,635
    Blighty.

  9. #9
    Look!!..... a train!!
    DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,910
    Cheapo shopping is so depressing. '99p Stores' and 'Poundland' have brought our high streets visibly downmarket. I avoid them unless I need a roll of cling film or 2 Fray Bentos pies for 1

  10. #10
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,362
    Basically the crisps I bought were part of a weekly shop.

    I'm saving now, so budgeting and bargain hunting is my MO when in supermarkets.

    10 quids worth of salad veg
    A chicken
    Bag of spuds
    Some beer
    Ham
    Cheese
    Olives (I WILL NOT BE WITHOUT THEM)
    Vinegar and shit like that.

    21 pounds

    I'm good for a week on that lot.

  11. #11
    Look!!..... a train!!
    DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,910
    10pm at most 24hr Tescos is when all produce dated that day goes for between 10 and 99p, regardless of original prices. Got a chinese snack selection for 29p and a bag of pineapple chunks for 9p

  12. #12
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,820
    You can also get a myriad of sarnies at 2am all on they're sell by date for around 10p ,, 2 big carrier bags full of these straight into the freezer and your sarnied up for the month.

    Also I bought 6 Morrison economy out of date frozen meals last Saturday @ 15p each froze the nuts out of em ,, have eaten 2 of em now cook 4 mins + anothe r 4mins from frozen in the micro + a couple of dashes of Levi Roots BBQ sauce to liven it up
    I'm proud of my 38" waist , also proud I have never done drugs

  13. #13
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,362
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat
    10pm at most 24hr Tescos is when all produce dated that day goes for between 10 and 99p, regardless of original prices. Got a chinese snack selection for 29p and a bag of pineapple chunks for 9p
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelandjan
    You can also get a myriad of sarnies at 2am all on they're sell by date for around 10p ,, 2 big carrier bags full of these straight into the freezer and your sarnied up for the month.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:21 AM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    11,803
    So all those dinners that you and Jan have been passing off as home made are in fact Morrison's economy range?

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 AM
    Location
    There
    Posts
    30,374
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat
    2 Fray Bentos pies for 1
    Now that makes me jealous.

  16. #16
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    28-08-2017 @ 01:04 PM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    Cheapo shopping is so depressing. '99p Stores' and 'Poundland' have brought our high streets visibly downmarket. I avoid them unless I need a roll of cling film or 2 Fray Bentos pies for 1
    I like poundland. It's the only shop I can swagger around and not feel like a pauper plus they do have some real bargains in there.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,622
    How crispy were those 10p crisps exactly ? Got me thinkin of supa crunchies

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    5,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangyai View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat View Post
    Cheapo shopping is so depressing. '99p Stores' and 'Poundland' have brought our high streets visibly downmarket. I avoid them unless I need a roll of cling film or 2 Fray Bentos pies for 1
    I like poundland. It's the only shop I can swagger around and not feel like a pauper plus they do have some real bargains in there.
    I saw a documentary type show, in UK, about pound shops and whether or not they really offer bargains. Surprisingly, quite a few of their products cost more per unit than at regular stores.

  19. #19
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,820
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh
    So all those dinners that you and Jan have been passing off as home made are in fact Morrison's economy range?
    Micro meals occur when the wife is late shifting it mate , otherwise its proper food

  20. #20
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,362
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    How crispy were those 10p crisps exactly ?
    Just like a regular pack.

    Welly,welly tasty.

  21. #21
    ความสุขในอีสาน
    nigelandjan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Frinton on sea and Ban Pak
    Posts
    12,820
    I see you still haven't forgotten your Thai lingo mate ^ kudos

  22. #22
    Genteel member
    patsycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    08-11-2017 @ 09:54 PM
    Location
    Geneva
    Posts
    7,395
    I still remember when Cheese and Onion crisps were in the green bag and Salt and Vinegar were in a blue bag.

  23. #23
    Special member
    jizzybloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    7,868
    That was the Golden Wonder colours Pats, don't see them much now!!

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    ShrewedPunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,050
    I sometimes go to my local Tesco express about 20minutes before they shut at night and grab all their 10p Salmon sandwiches

  25. #25
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,094
    Whenever I am in Tesco Lotus I have a look around to see what has a yellow sticker on it. No point paying triple the price for an item just because Tesco deems it good for a couple more days and late they sell off the roast chickens for very good prices which makes my dogs happy.

    If it is meat with an expiry date it just goes into the freezer as soon as I get home and gets cooked up later.

    The other day they were selling off EST cola at 9 baht reduced from 22 or something. You could probably leave that stuff for a 100 years and it wouldn't degrade, how do you determine the shelf life of a bottle of water, chemicals and HFCS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •