Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 65
  1. #1
    old codger
    Guest

    Angry farangs and the thai legal system

    a friend of mine told me about losing five letters he posted to england and not one arrived so he decided to complain to the thai post office who then told him he should have sent them by registered mail, he replied by showing them his registered receipt and mentioned that the other letters were were also registered upon which the post office personel asked why he was making problems for them and knowing the thai mentality he walked out of the post office and called it a day because he felt that he would get nowhere with his complaint, however the same thing happened to me when i sent a registered letter to my bank and as we are aware when writing to your bank you need to quote your bank account number and your bank code as well as signing the letter for reference purposes. however i decided to use the thai post office to try and trace the where abouts of my corespondence on the pretext that if it isnt found i will assume it had been stolen and at this stage i found the thai post office very helpful as they found the letter had been air lifted to england two days after i posted it. however the enquiry form sent to the royal mail in england took five months to respond and as they could find no trace of my letter they admitted liability and instructed the thai post office to pay me there union postal insurance. i refused to accept this insurance because it only amounted to fifteen pounds and attempted to claim compensation and damages because i had to close down my bank of some forty years. transfer my savings and have all my income diverted to my new account which has resulted in a monthly loss of 3000 baht in transfer fees every month.as my contract was with the thai post office, ie, registered receipt i had to negotiate with them, but to no avail as all they do is constantly send me a copy of there insurance unions obligations which only cover the cost of your paper and envelope plus postage but nothing for contents. i now know why my friend decided to drop his complaint as i have constantly told them im not concerned about the lost letter but i am concerned about the damage caused by the english royal mails negligence and thats why i want to take legal action but my friends tell me im wasting my time and money and no one can recall any legal case where a farang has won compensation or damages through the thai legal system. is this the case or must i sit back and accept all these extra expenses. your comments are welcome as well as further advice. by the way any compensation is recoverable from the english royal mail according to there internationel agreements.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Posts
    17,258
    a word of advice try a few paragraphs that was a hard read.

  3. #3
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,878
    ^^And try a few sentences with only one thought in them, and less than 100 words.

  4. #4
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,382
    Quote Originally Posted by old codger
    no one can recall any legal case where a farang has won compensation or damages through the thai legal system
    I have.

    Your post very hard to read. A few paragraph sections would help.

    From what I gather, it's UK mail side at fault not the Thai side?

  5. #5
    ทำไมคุณแปลนี้
    filch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    02-01-2019 @ 08:15 PM
    Location
    In yer eyeballs
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    a word of advice try a few paragraphs that was a hard read.
    Indeed. Old Codger, you appear to be intelligent, paragraphing your posts will make it easier for others to read and reply.

    In regards to your post, I've personally been on the receiving end of the Thai legal system and won. Albeit in an employment settlement.

    I've heard stories of farangs winning, but you have to be extremely persistent and have money.

    From what I can understand about your particular case, I doubt the effort would be worth it.
    Originally Posted by dirtydog
    filch, sadly the moderators are not going to be changed, if it upsets you that much try google, it has over 100 million results for Thai forums, or, you can just bitch and moan about the moderators on here.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    The Master Cool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,152
    I've never had any issues or problems with the Thai mail system, in fact quite the opposite, I've often been quite surprised at how quick and efficient they are. Must be on over 100 letters and boxes and motorbikes posted, and not one issue with them.

    Believe their system was based on, or set up by the Canadian mail service about 20 years ago.

    2 thumbs up for Thai Mail Service by me.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Posts
    17,258
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master Cool
    Believe their system was based on, or set up by the Canadian mail service about 20 years ago.
    I dont have a problem either. But that is for sure not the case.

  8. #8
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    My take on this (a guesstimate)

    You contracted the Thai Postal Service to deliver your letter
    You are bound by the conditions set by them.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:03 PM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,204
    Never had a problem Thailand to Australia only Thailand to India Never send to India post.

  10. #10
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:52 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,617
    DHL document envelope for anything important.

  11. #11
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,878
    My one and only experience with the Thai legal system was superb! I was divorced from my farang wife in a Thai court, despite having been married to her in another country. The divorce has subsequently held up since I get all of my pension, and she can't touch it, and I also remarried ten years ago. It was fast, cheap and efficient. I lost 109 pounds of dead weight in under an hour.

  12. #12
    old codger
    Guest
    most of u readers have missed the point of my complaint,that is although i have no complaint about the thai postal service but because there partner to the postal international agreement with england and the rest of the world they are bound by that contract to respond to my complaint and not expect me to take legal action against the english royal mail despite the fact they have done nothing wrong

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:58 PM
    Posts
    17,258
    Quote Originally Posted by old codger
    most of u readers have missed the point of my complaint,that is although i have no complaint about the thai postal service but because there partner to the postal international agreement with england and the rest of the world they are bound by that contract to respond to my complaint and not expect me to take legal action against the english royal mail despite the fact they have done nothing wrong
    As said before try a full stop. You are going to get nowhere. Learn to live with it. I am sorry to say that, but this is not the west. Best of luck getting is sussed out.

  14. #14
    old codger
    Guest
    regarding your comments thetyim i would be interested to know what thai conditions u refer to as the only one im aware of is the universal postal unions automatic insurance payout for expenses to cover the use of materials and postal charges but do not cover any other expenses which u are entitled to claim

  15. #15
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,382
    Quote Originally Posted by old codger
    they are bound by that contract to respond to my complaint
    They did. You refused the money offered as per Thai limit of liability. Consult a lawyer but doubt you have a case.

  16. #16
    old codger
    Guest
    aging one u have told me all i want to know about the thai legal system although inadvertantly and being someone like yourself who has vast experience of how to live in a society like thailand i will of cause take ur advice even though i pity you

  17. #17
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    ^ ^
    Agreed
    OC is entitled to compensation as agreed in his contract with the thai postal service
    He has no contract with the UK service so how can he claim

  18. #18
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,382
    I've sent documents and goods via EMS, DHL, Fedex and UPS from Thailand. All limit liability to the value of the shipped content. Most have a standard upper limit but none cover consequential damages. In Old Codgers case, this is what he would be claiming. Don't know about UK but you would have no case in US or in Thailand.
    Last edited by Norton; 08-07-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

  19. #19
    old codger
    Guest
    norton may i ask u to read aging ones defeatist comments in which he quotes that i will get nowhere because im from the west and therefore a farang and the offer of payment came from the royal mail not the thai post office although they would have paid it on there behalf and claimed it back. also im now aware that i cannot win because im a farang but my thai wife registered the letter so its her who is legally claiming as she is the contract partner with the thai post office

  20. #20
    old codger
    Guest
    norton regarding consequential damages in england is no problem and is recognised by the judiciaryand the point im making is my case is against the english royal mail not the thai post office but because of international agreements im bound to pursue it through the thai system

  21. #21
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,382
    Quote Originally Posted by old codger
    my case is against the english royal mail
    I was surprised to hear you say English Royal Mail is responsible for consequential damages. Went to their website and checked. Seems you are mistaken. You are entitled to compensation for the value of the mailed package only. In your case, paper and shipping cost.

    7.8 We will not be responsible to you in any circumstances for:
    7.8.1 loss of profit, loss of business, loss of goodwill or loss of business opportunity; or
    7.8.2 any type of special or indirect loss, or loss as a result of something else happening. as a consequence of the loss, damage or delay to your item.

  22. #22
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:12 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,684
    Thai Post said that they sent it and Royal Mail says they have no record of it.

    probably your letter is insulating somchais roof in nakon nowhere or is recycled particle board on a japanse concrete job and I fail to see what you expect to gain from anyone with you efforts to sue.

    you have no record apart from when you posted the item - you will be laughed at in any countries court.

  23. #23
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    OC can you confirm that you sent it Registered Mail.

    Maximum compensation is 1600 baht
    However if you sent it insured then maximum compensation is 53,340 baht

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Quote Originally Posted by aging one View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Master Cool
    Believe their system was based on, or set up by the Canadian mail service about 20 years ago.
    I dont have a problem either. But that is for sure not the case.
    Accenture overhauled and installed the current systems within Thai Post in the late 90s.
    Last edited by Chairman Mao; 08-07-2010 at 05:11 PM.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    12Call's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    15-03-2019 @ 01:08 PM
    Posts
    2,247
    based in Pattaya so god only knows what was in the 5 sent letters !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •