Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017

    A computer nutter on another forum ...

    Whaddya make of this ? is there a simple explanation?

    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    As I was searching all the posts regarding shipping, travel light or heavy.
    I did not come up with situation that I have at front of me.
    I have 9 laptops and 3 PC's 10 pda's. Plus 2 routers, hundreds of cables/wires
    9 portable Hard Drives. Plus hubs, wireless keyboards and optical mouse, dongle's, scanners, printers, docking stations...I could go on and on.
    How do I eat this???
    I've spent too much time to manicure all that, to just let it go.
    I am willing to part with my PC's which are home made but not laptops !
    And they are all basically new (the oldest is 16 months old )
    I am terrified when I am reading all the prices for laptops and pda's in Indonesia.
    For my top laptop I've paid 2200$ It's Fujitsu (I've 3 Fujitsu's)
    How much it will cost in Indonesia ?
    It is like choose Your poison. What should I do.
    Also the duty tax and what They will think ? that I am hustler with second hand gadgets ?
    Can someone help me on this one, please.


  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    So I asked him/her why he/she needs all that stuff and got this answer!

    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    It is a long story, but I try to keep it short.
    My life changed and I had no choice but to change my profession.

    1. Synthesize new ideas all the time. No passive reading. Annotate, model,think and synthesize what you read.
    2. Learn how to learn (rapidly).
    3. Work backwards from the goal.
    4. Have long-term plan. It might change but you should have it.
    5. Make contingency maps. Draw dependencies on a big piece of paper, first finish things that don't depend on anything but on which other items depend.
    6. Collaborate.
    7. Make mistakes quickly.
    8. As you learn, write up best-practices protocols.
    9. Document obsessively.
    10. Keep it simple.

    I do different stuff on different laptop(s)..I have 4 IP addresses 1 via cable, 1 via phone line, 2 others I get via pda's (ever heard of "pdanet" ?)
    Privacy is paramount to me. Plus I am involved in Linux development. especially in solving bugs.
    Just so You know, I have 12 Linux OS's plus all the Windows OS's minus "Me" & "Win 1"
    If You hire me in Indonesia along with KITAS, I will give them all away for free...
    seriously

    WTF?

    Synthesis, Annotate, never read, make contingency plans means you need 19 computers!?!?!

    IS this guy a crazy nutter, or do computer people really need all that? Frankie?

    The bit about troubleshooting for LINUX might make some sense...

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    someone else told him to buy again ..

    buy here and forget about importing. They will make you pay two arms and two legs for that much stuff and no use fdx to ship stuff


    I think that Your way, Is my way to fly...
    Pity...so much work. But life must go on.
    Thanks for Your help.

  4. #4
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,902
    I think it must be English Noodles

    He needs 19 computers to keep 57 nicks running on three browsers

  5. #5
    Sprayed On Member
    The Fresh Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Not in the willage
    Posts
    11,683
    I reckon he's got a dodgy spell checker...And he's nuts.

  6. #6
    Banned Muadib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    4,774
    He doesn't have the sense to aggregate all of the services onto one PC, simple as that... He's not a geek, just another dumb-ass user who thinks he knows what he's doing...

  7. #7
    Cool Cat
    Perota's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    15-03-2017 @ 05:11 PM
    Location
    Bangkok, Korat
    Posts
    3,019
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    So I asked him/her why he/she needs all that stuff and got this answer!

    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    It is a long story, but I try to keep it short.
    My life changed and I had no choice but to change my profession.

    1. Synthesize new ideas all the time. No passive reading. Annotate, model,think and synthesize what you read.
    2. Learn how to learn (rapidly).
    3. Work backwards from the goal.
    4. Have long-term plan. It might change but you should have it.
    5. Make contingency maps. Draw dependencies on a big piece of paper, first finish things that don't depend on anything but on which other items depend.
    6. Collaborate.
    7. Make mistakes quickly.
    8. As you learn, write up best-practices protocols.
    9. Document obsessively.
    10. Keep it simple.

    I do different stuff on different laptop(s)..I have 4 IP addresses 1 via cable, 1 via phone line, 2 others I get via pda's (ever heard of "pdanet" ?)
    Privacy is paramount to me. Plus I am involved in Linux development. especially in solving bugs.
    Just so You know, I have 12 Linux OS's plus all the Windows OS's minus "Me" & "Win 1"
    If You hire me in Indonesia along with KITAS, I will give them all away for free...
    seriously

    WTF?

    Synthesis, Annotate, never read, make contingency plans means you need 19 computers!?!?!

    IS this guy a crazy nutter, or do computer people really need all that? Frankie?

    The bit about troubleshooting for LINUX might make some sense...

    My favorite on his list :

    10. Keep it simple.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly
    1. Synthesize new ideas all the time. No passive reading. Annotate, model,think and synthesize what you read. 2. Learn how to learn (rapidly). 3. Work backwards from the goal. 4. Have long-term plan. It might change but you should have it. 5. Make contingency maps. Draw dependencies on a big piece of paper, first finish things that don't depend on anything but on which other items depend. 6. Collaborate. 7. Make mistakes quickly. 8. As you learn, write up best-practices protocols. 9. Document obsessively. 10. Keep it simple.
    new age loony

  9. #9

    R.I.P.


    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    ^^^Naaa, I reckon you do need 2 pcs, if your running something cpu intensive on one then you can use the other.

  10. #10
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,759
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib
    He doesn't have the sense to aggregate all of the services onto one PC
    12 os's on one machine ?

  11. #11
    Dan
    Guest
    I had a mate like this. He had a fairly severe crack and smack habit and used to find shopping for IT gadgets irresistible when stoned.

  12. #12
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,093
    Wait! I have an idea! Ask him how many macs he has ever owned and if he currently has a mini..

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678
    Sounds a bit ocd to me.

  14. #14
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    He doesn't have the sense to aggregate all of the services onto one PC, simple as that... He's not a geek, just another dumb-ass user who thinks he knows what he's doing...
    Pretty much -- though I would add 'complete crackpot' to the 'dumbass' portion.

    Why?

    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    It is a long story, but I try to keep it short.
    My life changed and I had no choice but to change my profession.
    Translation : "After I went clinically insane, and was fired from my prior job..."

    "My life changed and I had no choice but to change my profession" is usually code (they all use the same script) from nutters to 'cover up' that they got fired. But, you know, it's public code -- kinda like "I want to spend more time with my family" when execs get fired...

    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    12 os's on one machine ?
    Why not? This isn't rocket science. On a Mac you could run them under Parallels (or any other VM - would work on Linux or Windows as well). On a PC I'd probably run Linux as the host OS, and then the other OS' under VMs.

    Quote Originally Posted by slackula View Post
    Wait! I have an idea! Ask him how many macs he has ever owned and if he currently has a mini..
    ROTFLOL!

    Good one (chortle chortle!) good one!

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    sorry Ant..... :snigger:

    Quote Originally Posted by kingwilly View Post
    erm, you must be a lawyer then.

    cos you've said spewed 100 words that dont actually answer the question.
    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    Mhm..Is this a bait?
    If You do not see the answer to Your question. Then I cannot helped.
    I guess We are like apples and oranges.
    Thus it is for me to know and for You to find out.

    _

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    a bit like that bloke on the "properties" section, trying to sell some hotel

    he said his wife went crazy, so everything has to be sold

    mind you, he also said that some French bloke had already expressed an interest and made a big offer

    in another post, the guy changed into a Belgian

    I did ask about that, but my post was deleted!

    http://teakdoor.com/phuket-land-hous...ml#post1160049 (Airport hotel for sale - 3.5MB profit this year!)
    I have reported your post

  17. #17
    Cenosillicaphobiac
    Plan B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Location
    Under a bridge
    Posts
    4,242
    He could be a software coder/tester. His comments about modelling, planning, documenting, sounds like what's involved in coding. All the hardware for testing compatibilties, porting.

  18. #18
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,759
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
    Why not? This isn't rocket science
    yes daffney - lucky you are not a rocket scientist.

    how would you spec your machine if you wanted to run 12 OS's in VMs ? of course without worrying about small technicalities like direct hardware access.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    I asked him about the mac, check this reponse!

    Quote Originally Posted by hades View Post
    Yes I did try Mac, years ago when Mac was beating Windows in graphics (and still is but difference is small these days)
    But generally speaking I do not like neither Win or Mac, too much spyware & malware.
    But as a M$ partner We are using each other. mac# spoofing does not work anymore, IP address and your hardware serial number counts. So by default I use different computers for different websites. I won't allowed to be another statistic tool for any website.

    Plus one of the laptops is always on and the sole task for this laptop is to show me in real time video (full screen it look like a big spider-web full of worms) the whole network all the hosting places and all websites sending pings/packets to any of my computers.
    If I do not like someone i do not ping them I scan all their ports, to let them know...beat it. Plus I keep logging most of the protocols about 30-50 of them. I do not violate any of the net rules and I expect the same. I am a private person and You just extracted from me personal information.
    I was looking for shipping info and You drifted off the subject.
    F0001

  20. #20
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    ^ seems to be a paranoi IPSEC lunatic !!!

  21. #21
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,093
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    a bit like that bloke on the "properties" section, trying to sell some hotel
    FWIW I know him (kind of), and I am sure he is on the level and a decent guy to boot. He stood by his wife through a *very* tough saga. He's always been open about it and never asked for sympathy or been bitter and yet he has every right to imho.

    /now back to the topic
    bibo ergo sum
    If you hear the thunder be happy - the lightening missed.
    This time.

  22. #22
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Plan B View Post
    He could be a software coder/tester. His comments about modelling, planning, documenting, sounds like what's involved in coding. All the hardware for testing compatibilties, porting.
    No, he's just a nut...

    Hey kw, ask him about 911.

  23. #23
    DaffyDuck
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
    Why not? This isn't rocket science
    yes daffney - lucky you are not a rocket scientist.

    how would you spec your machine if you wanted to run 12 OS's in VMs ? of course without worrying about small technicalities like direct hardware access.
    Mac Pro, 8-core, 3GHz
    16GB of RAM (sweet spot in price/performance, though dump 32GB in it if you want)
    RAIDed drive of 4-8TB. Partitioned into the various OS' you want to run.
    BootCamp in order to boot into the OS when you need direct hardware access.
    VMWare when you just need to run the OS as a VM instance.
    30" display (or two) to display the various VM windows.
    (you can also attach 12 individual screens, if you prefer).

    This isn't rocket science, like I said.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
    Mac Pro, 8-core, 3GHz
    16GB of RAM (sweet spot in price/performance, though dump 32GB in it if you want)
    RAIDed drive of 4-8TB.
    and you need all that to post on TeakDoor ? no wonder Macs are shit !!!

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by DaffyDuck
    Hey kw, ask him about 911.
    I need more info mate.... as in 9/11 the towers and terrorists thingy?

    btw - I've cut n paste your post above in reply to him, hope you dont mind!


    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    and you need all that to post on TeakDoor ? no wonder Macs are shit !!!
    :snigger:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •