Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Member
    Deck Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    22-11-2017 @ 10:42 PM
    Location
    Adrift
    Posts
    610

    Why are there no locally brewed ales?

    In my neck of the woods there is only Guiness at 190/ can and Coopers sparkling ale at 100/ small bottle.

    Would a small scale brewery do well in LOS? Brewing good dark ales, preferably?

  2. #2
    Developing Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    12-08-2014 @ 12:20 PM
    Location
    Rama V
    Posts
    1,337
    The Londoner is a brew pub and I believe there is at least one German brauhaus

  3. #3

    R.I.P.


    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    Need to bottle I think 1 million bottles per year to get a license, no license means your illegal.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Deck Ape
    Would a small scale brewery do well in LOS? Brewing good dark ales, preferably?
    Because the laws here are stupid (obviously) and any small brewery that distributes its beer outside of the premises has to brew a ridiculous amount of beer (over 1 million litres of beer if I remember correctly) to validate its license. Then there's the 100k that the brewer has to pay for the meter on EACH tank to ensure those amounts are actually brewed.

    Of course, its all down to Chang and Singha not wanting any competition, but all that meant was that the only competition they do get is from big companies who can take large chunks out of their market share (Heiny, San Mig etc) rather than the small independent brewers who would have a negligible effect on their market share.

    There are a couple of micro-breweries who do make draught beer for other places (illegally though) such as the lot who make it for Tropical Murphy's on Koh Samui, but their beer (as most micro-brewery beer in TL) is made from powdered malt and is a bit pants.

  5. #5
    Member
    Deck Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    22-11-2017 @ 10:42 PM
    Location
    Adrift
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    and any small brewery that distributes its beer outside of the premises has to brew a ridiculous amount of beer (over 1 million litres of beer

    I see. Is the ale any good at the Londoner?

  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Online
    26-04-2013 @ 07:08 AM
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by Deck Ape View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    and any small brewery that distributes its beer outside of the premises has to brew a ridiculous amount of beer (over 1 million litres of beer

    I see. Is the ale any good at the Londoner?
    Not awful, not good. Drinkable when 2-for-1 during happy hour...

  7. #7
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    18-08-2011 @ 10:31 AM
    Posts
    145
    shame about the beer situation in Thailand as Singha and Chang is just awful piss.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by passengers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deck Ape View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    and any small brewery that distributes its beer outside of the premises has to brew a ridiculous amount of beer (over 1 million litres of beer

    I see. Is the ale any good at the Londoner?
    Not awful, not good. Drinkable when 2-for-1 during happy hour...
    That's been pretty much my take on it exactly for a couple of years. Last Wednesday I was in there and the "bitter" wasn't even drinkable. My mate didn't even finish his first pint, switched to the so-called "pilsner" which was its usual "Not awful. . . drinkable" self. I've experienced an off batch or two in there over the years, but last week it was terrible. Disappointing.
    “You can lead a horticulture but you can’t make her think.” Dorothy Parker

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,110
    The two Tawang dengs in BKK, brew some great beer, but as marmite said they have to brew a certain amount for on site consumption, no off site sales at all, and there is an upper limit as well, to safe guard the major brewers.

    Pitiful really but the right politicos get paid to ensure the laws stay in place so the fat cats get rewarded and everybody is happy, except the consumers. On the other hand Thais wouldn't know a decent beer if it came up and fondled their scrotum's.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    The two Tawang dengs in BKK, brew some great beer, but as marmite said they have to brew a certain amount for on site consumption, no off site sales at all, and there is an upper limit as well, to safe guard the major brewers.

    Pitiful really but the right politicos get paid to ensure the laws stay in place so the fat cats get rewarded and everybody is happy, except the consumers. On the other hand Thais wouldn't know a decent beer if it came up and fondled their scrotum's.
    Japan had the same idiotic "minimum production" laws for years. Once they were lifted microbrews exploded. The big companies still lean on their distributors to try to stop the micros going national, but a couple of good ones have managed. Hope springs eternal in Thailand, but Boon Rawd can probably twist arms even better than Kirin.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan View Post
    The two Tawang dengs in BKK, brew some great beer
    Very funny

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,110
    Whats funny about that? its easily a world class beer. although he could sell it as piss weak Pommie beer with addition of lots of water if thats what you like.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    its easily a world class beer
    Are you on drugs?

  14. #14
    Member
    Deck Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    22-11-2017 @ 10:42 PM
    Location
    Adrift
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    On the other hand Thais wouldn't know a decent beer if it came up and fondled their scrotum's.
    a sexually satisfying brew.. would really make women redundant

  15. #15
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    08-10-2011 @ 09:45 PM
    Location
    A Mad Mad World
    Posts
    3,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf View Post
    shame about the beer situation in Thailand as Singha and Chang is just awful piss.
    Oh I don't know but 5 bottles of Chang and a half a glass of Lao kao seems to beat 6 pints of Macla or LCL to me! (Federation brewerey certified urine)

    Or for those with a more discerning palette - Coors, or BUD, urine available in bulk! (Chilled preferably) or that other shit that is available here....San Miguel...I wouldn't feed the dog that....(funnily enough, dogs get quite pissed on Chang - at leat mine do)

  16. #16
    Banned for deleting Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,671
    The Holland beer hall on param song (big windmill outside) brews some very odd lager, but the dark beer they do is really very good. It has one of the biggest stages in bkk and the shows are pretty good.

  17. #17
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    08-10-2011 @ 09:45 PM
    Location
    A Mad Mad World
    Posts
    3,780
    Quote Originally Posted by Deck Ape View Post
    In my neck of the woods there is only Guiness at 190/ can and Coopers sparkling ale at 100/ small bottle.

    Would a small scale brewery do well in LOS? Brewing good dark ales, preferably?
    There are loads of locally brewed ales, well beers, Chang, Singha, Cheers, Leo the urine list goes on...but thyey are all brewed locally, as is Carlesberg, Heineken, Coors, San Miguel - The question really should be " Why are there no DECENT" beers brewed locally ! Then the reply could be that Thais only drink cheap shit piss to invoke a coma at minimum cost. You could of course compare like for like - a decent beer in the UK? a warm flat pint of "real ale" ? I d rather drink pigs piss!

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    madjbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    15-07-2015 @ 01:49 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,529
    ^ Shut up, you quite obviously have no idea what you are talking about

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    BigRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    10-07-2018 @ 02:43 AM
    Location
    Hope Valley nr. Sheffield
    Posts
    1,113
    Quote Originally Posted by Missismiggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf View Post
    shame about the beer situation in Thailand as Singha and Chang is just awful piss.
    Oh I don't know but 5 bottles of Chang and a half a glass of Lao kao seems to beat 6 pints of Macla or LCL to me! (Federation brewerey certified urine)

    Or for those with a more discerning palette - Coors, or BUD, urine available in bulk! (Chilled preferably) or that other shit that is available here....San Miguel...I wouldn't feed the dog that....(funnily enough, dogs get quite pissed on Chang - at leat mine do)
    You got a bite Adolf.

  20. #20
    Banned Muadib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    4,774
    Phuket Ale is supposed to be very good, I wouldn't know as the guy who bottles it is out of stock... Something about Thai excise taxes...

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    madjbs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    15-07-2015 @ 01:49 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,529
    ^ Are you talking about "Phuket Beer"?

    Again, it is not an ale.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Muadib
    Phuket Ale is supposed to be very good
    Phuket Beer is dreadful. It used to be the free beer at the Sheraton buffet.

  23. #23
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog
    Need to bottle I think 1 million bottles per year to get a license
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    Because the laws here are stupid (obviously) and any small brewery that distributes its beer outside of the premises has to brew a ridiculous amount of beer (over 1 million litres of beer if I remember correctly) to validate its license.
    I often thought about the question in the OP, I now know the reason, never knew that, and it's very very interesting.

  24. #24
    The Dentist English Noodles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Burning Down a Pikey Caravan
    Posts
    17,230
    Maybe someone with the correct connections could get a 'special' concession.

  25. #25
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    27-09-2009 @ 09:45 AM
    Location
    Acme view
    Posts
    31
    There is a brewery behing Index/Carrefour in C Mai and there used to be one inside Don Muang Avoid Archa and any beer under 24 baht unless you like alcogum Beer Lao is excellent when available and Heineken and Fedrer ok for swill Asahi at Supermarketprices not bad and a quick look atTops C mai revealed dozens of beers at Euro prices Of course discerning punters go for Thai Calret akaLaocao or the Napoleon of Crime Regency if diluted with petrol almost takes the taste away The tax system is skewed and as corrupt as the rest of LOS But Ruddles in the rain on Leo in the sun I'd rather have abottle in fron of me than apre-frontal lobotomy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •