Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 52
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848

    Is LSD good for you?

    Maybe, but in honor of the Woodstock anniversary, avoid the brown acid, man:
    Is LSD Good for You? - Page 1 - The Daily Beast
    The watershed moment came last September, when the FDA approved a clinical trial on the use of LSD to treat anxiety in cancer patients. According to the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (or MAPS), it was the first time since the 1960s that a medical study involving LSD was permitted by the federal government. MAPS Director Rick Doblin called it a symbol that the psychedelic renaissance is here. MAPS reached its fundraising goal of $225,000 in April, and will soon run its LSD trials in Switzerland, where its easier to legally obtain acid. The FDAs approval is crucial, however, because it means it will accept the data that comes out of the Swiss trials. If those results prove the drug works, the agency will then run similar tests for safety and effectiveness. Doblin thinks that because of this ruling, its highly possible that within 10 years LSD prescriptions for treating anxiety associated with life-threatening illnesses could be available in America.
    You can lead a horticulture but you cant make her think. Dorothy Parker

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    28-03-2015 @ 04:31 PM
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    737
    Well Aldous Huxley would certainly have you believe that Mescaline is.

    And hey who am I to argue with him?

  3. #3
    Dan
    Guest
    I find that completely bizarre. Acid for anxiety associated with life-threatening illnesses? That does not sound like a good mix.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I find that completely bizarre. Acid for anxiety associated with life-threatening illnesses? That does not sound like a good mix.
    Counterintuitive, isn't it? I suppose setting is the key here.

  5. #5
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Good enough for Tim Leary, good enough for you.

  6. #6
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post

    The watershed moment came last September, when the FDA approved a clinical trial on the use of LSD to treat anxiety in cancer patients.
    Hmmm......they will be trying it for bone fractures next if these current trials don't pan out. Gotta be good for something ?

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    crippen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:14 PM
    Location
    Korat
    Posts
    5,210

    L.S.D.

    I must be getting old!! Thought the post was going to be about U.K. pounds,shillings and pence,the proper English money.Abandoned in 1971.(And not drinking yet,too early.)

  8. #8
    lom
    lom is offline
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    8,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    Good enough for Tim Leary, good enough for you.
    But where are the flashbacks that we were promised to get?

  9. #9
    Banned for deleting Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,671
    Met far to many people seriously fucked up on this shit in the 70's even reading the name makes me feel sick, dangerous poison.

  10. #10
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Quote Originally Posted by lom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin
    Good enough for Tim Leary, good enough for you.
    But where are the flashbacks that we were promised to get?
    If I recall, there was such divisions of "good acid" and "bad acid"....flashbacks were selections from the psychologically damaging 'dark' stuff. Interestingly enough, during those early experimental days when there wasn't lawful restrictions on such unkown hallucinogens, the quality of LSD was supreme and safe. As the authorities found it necessary to clamp down on deviant behaviour the 'market' for chemically induced psychedelics digressed in quality as intermixed and dangerous chemicals were introduced. Most of the later acid dropping populations were exposed to a high percentage of such cut LSD, such the accounts for malevolent experiences. Most didn't have access to the purer and safer chemicals and usually coudn't decipher any difference.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    GooMaiRoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    28-04-2016 @ 09:27 AM
    Posts
    1,132
    Quote Originally Posted by robuzo View Post
    Doblin thinks that because of this ruling, it’s highly possible that within 10 years LSD prescriptions for treating anxiety associated with life-threatening illnesses could be available in America.
    Psychedelics such as LSD and psilocybin are intensifiers of experience. Whether they're 'good' or 'bad' for you depends on the conditions under which they're taken, the purity of the drugs and whether they're over-used. If a person with a life-threatening illness is placed in a supportive environment and given a positive message by a trained therapist, such drugs could have great therapeutic value.

    The problem with these drugs is that if they're taken recreationally, one had better be in a positive and emotionally safe environment. I imagine that taking such drugs while living in a crime ridden city or amongst negative people or while in a bad relationship would be risky. A random event could trigger a negative and long-lasting emotional state (i.e., like playing Russian Roulette with one's psyche). I've been told that Koh Samui back in the 1980's was a beautiful, quiet, pleasant and non-threatening little venue to experiment with such substances. I've been told that it was awesome and that these effects were positive and long-lasting.

    For further study on the topic, here's a link to a 2006 medical abstract from the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine on the positive effects of psilocybin when taken under "comfortable, supportive conditions":

    Psilocybin can occasion mystical-type experiences having substantial and sustained personal meaning and spiritual significance

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    Acid should be obligatory for a vast number, if not all, politicians and so called "leaders" around the world today.

  13. #13
    Member celtic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    13-12-2017 @ 08:56 AM
    Location
    Maui
    Posts
    331
    Gave it up 25 years ago, but as long as I didn't have to stick a needle in my arm, I probably tried it.
    IMHO acid is the only recreational drug that has any benefit to the user, with a caveat that I think it should be avoided by those that are mentally"challanged".
    It was for me the equivilant of sending your brain to Gold's Gym on steroids and meth not for the faint of mind.
    One of the added benefits was the last dozen or so times I dropped, I would invariably scub my house or apartment from top to bottom and have a wonderful time doing it.
    Always felt cheated cause I never had any flashbacks!
    The one time I thought I was having one it turned out I ate some brownies my friend had laced with pot, unbeknownst to me at the time, Oh well.

    Maybe some law firm will have the foresight to file a class action suit so that some of us can be made whole after being duped by the governments claim about LSD, it could be big bucks with the right Judge and jury.


    celtic

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    Quote Originally Posted by celtic
    Always felt cheated cause I never had any flashbacks!
    I went to an eclipse rave in the Flinders ranges in '02.

    I was there for about 7 days in total. Don't remember too much about it now.
    Getting back to the hostel I stayed at I was unpacking with one of the lads who came with me when I found three trips in my pocket. Not sure where they came from but I put them aside until the morning and a good nights sleep had been got.

    we took them and nothing much happened. A very very low dose. enough to make the water ripple nicely and my bakedbeans taste good, but otherwise it was mild, ver nice.

    Two days later, my normal point where after taking chemicals I think i'm going to die and go into a bizarre death dream thing I had a flashback.

    I was on the top bunk of the bed in the room i shared with 8 others. I suddenly woke up and I could swear I was back in the outback. It had been black moon when I was there and the room was pitch black. I sat on the edge of the bunkbed not knowing if I was going to fall over shrubs or scorpions in the dark. I knew that my led torch was somewhere near by and I could get it to see.

    Fucking crawled around th ebed looking for it found it and for whatever reason never turned it on. just sat there in the most intense fear until somebody spoke to me from across the room asking me if i was ok, brought me back to where I should be and realised I was in a room in Berri, near adelaide.

    good fun it was.

  15. #15
    In transit to Valhalla

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,036
    Many years ago (in the sixties) a hospital back home experimented secretly with LSD to patients with different ailments, it became a big scandal years later, many of the poor sods became very ill from the experience some committed suicide, it turned out that the doctors in our country where working together with the CIA to find a truth-serum, more than 500 patients where given LSD.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    Quote Originally Posted by larvidchr
    Many years ago (in the sixties) a hospital back home experimented secretly with LSD to patients with different ailments, it became a big scandal years later, many of the poor sods became very ill from the experience some committed suicide, it turned out that the doctors in our country where working together with the CIA to find a truth-serum, more than 500 patients where given LSD.
    Do you believe that story or was it from a black and white film?

  17. #17
    In transit to Valhalla

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,036
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larvidchr
    Many years ago (in the sixties) a hospital back home experimented secretly with LSD to patients with different ailments, it became a big scandal years later, many of the poor sods became very ill from the experience some committed suicide, it turned out that the doctors in our country where working together with the CIA to find a truth-serum, more than 500 patients where given LSD.
    Do you believe that story or was it from a black and white film?
    You google it there was a big CIA test program in the roaring sixties which included LSD the object was mind control, CIA was through a secret program funding tests different places in the world and at home.

    Lots of info on the net. there was Senate hearings about Operation "Midnight climax"

    Link to a review of a price-winning Danish book on the subject

    DE SPR†NGTE SIND. Hemmelige forsøg med LSD.
    Last edited by larvidchr; 24-08-2009 at 03:24 AM.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    robuzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Last Online
    19-12-2015 @ 05:51 PM
    Location
    Paese dei Balocchi
    Posts
    7,848
    Quote Originally Posted by larvidchr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by larvidchr
    Many years ago (in the sixties) a hospital back home experimented secretly with LSD to patients with different ailments, it became a big scandal years later, many of the poor sods became very ill from the experience some committed suicide, it turned out that the doctors in our country where working together with the CIA to find a truth-serum, more than 500 patients where given LSD.
    Do you believe that story or was it from a black and white film?
    You google it there was a big CIA test program in the roaring sixties which included LSD the object was mind control, CIA was through a secret program funding tests different places in the world and at home.

    Lots of info on the net. there was Senate hearings about Operation "Midnight climax"

    Link to a review of a price-winning Danish book on the subject

    DE SPRÆNGTE SIND. Hemmelige forsøg med LSD.
    larv is correct, there was such a CIA program Project MKULTRA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia One aspect of it involved using prostitutes to dope clients with LSD- Midnight Climax San Francisco Sentinel Blog Archives OPERATION MIDNIGHT CLIMAX - Weird and twisted tale from San Francisco Telegraph Hill

  19. #19
    Cacoethes scribendi
    Loombucket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    15-06-2015 @ 08:51 AM
    Location
    Lanchester and Nong Bua Deng
    Posts
    3,310
    Far back in the mists of time, when just about everyone I knew was 'experimenting' with the stuff, I was forced to agree that LSD was good for the mind but pretty bad for the body. Indeed, tape recordings made at the time, proved that 9 out of 10 people had a very nice time with it. Unfortunately, some people didn't know when to stop, or when enough was enough. Some folk will tell you that LSD leads to worse things, but, in my experience, this is not the case. Peer pressure can take you to worse things. For worse, read addictive.

    Everything is bad for you, if you have too much of it.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat jandajoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Online
    02-11-2016 @ 08:50 AM
    Posts
    19,599
    It always amused me the way people ranked acid alongside H coke etc.

    "You get addicted" ..... what bolloxs.

    One of the positives of acid is that you will not get addicted. You might completely fry your brain, but you won't get addicted.

  21. #21
    Member rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Online
    30-10-2012 @ 09:04 AM
    Location
    not bangkok
    Posts
    364
    probably not.

  22. #22
    Member bkkrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Online
    27-07-2010 @ 10:43 PM
    Posts
    119


    As you say, "setting is the key here."

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    Quote Originally Posted by celtic View Post
    Gave it up 25 years ago, but as long as I didn't have to stick a needle in my arm, I probably tried it.
    IMHO acid is the only recreational drug that has any benefit to the user, with a caveat that I think it should be avoided by those that are mentally"challanged".
    It was for me the equivilant of sending your brain to Gold's Gym on steroids and meth not for the faint of mind.
    One of the added benefits was the last dozen or so times I dropped, I would invariably scub my house or apartment from top to bottom and have a wonderful time doing it.
    Always felt cheated cause I never had any flashbacks!
    The one time I thought I was having one it turned out I ate some brownies my friend had laced with pot, unbeknownst to me at the time, Oh well.

    Maybe some law firm will have the foresight to file a class action suit so that some of us can be made whole after being duped by the governments claim about LSD, it could be big bucks with the right Judge and jury.


    celtic
    , celtic would be a scottish lass perhaps .

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    Good enough for Tim Leary, good enough for you.

    good enough for me too

    I still get flashbacks, so it is all good

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    billy the kid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    19-11-2016 @ 07:57 PM
    Posts
    7,639
    Got given a bag of the stuff from caliifornia . young lady who took ill before getting off a boat to face ,,maybe couldn't face up to customs . 80 lil micro dots of dynamite . Ye and also mentioned here Dr. Tim Leary , my hero back in the 70's . though i didn't agree with his group experiments . great guy indeed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •