Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Whopping Member
    benbaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    5,549

    Financial Advice

    I was reading an article yesterday in the BKK Post which was basically trying to answer the question:

    In these troubled times, how should ordinary people make the most of their savings and investments?

    The answer was un-fucking-believable. It said we should put our money into equities which use derivatives as a hedging tool.

    Now I'm not going to pretend I know what that means, but isn't that the kind of bullshit that got us to where we are today?

    Who are these people doling out this kind of advice?
    The sleep of reason brings forth monsters.

  2. #2
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaaa View Post
    I was reading an article yesterday in the BKK Post which was basically trying to answer the question:

    In these troubled times, how should ordinary people make the most of their savings and investments?

    The answer was un-fucking-believable. It said we should put our money into equities which use derivatives as a hedging tool.
    Derivatives are potentially the next time bomb. Credit Default Swaps.

    Now I'm not going to pretend I know what that means, but isn't that the kind of bullshit that got us to where we are today?
    My guess is cash. Gold is high, but it's a hedge.

    Who are these people doling out this kind of advice?
    I have no faith in the "advisers." I know people back at home and in Thailand who've lost at least 50% because of their "advisers."

  3. #3
    En route
    Cujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:21 PM
    Location
    Reality.
    Posts
    28,638
    Advisers are the guys making commissions.

  4. #4
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,526
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaaa
    Who are these people doling out this kind of advice
    Like he (^) said. Guys selling the equities.

  5. #5
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug
    Advisers are the guys making commissions.
    they are salesmen. And often with no experience in the markets they are selling, just experience with selling and closing deals.

    Steer clear of them!

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    29-05-2019 @ 04:45 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Advisers are the guys making commissions.
    Correct - or to put it another way - they will be the only people guarantied to make money, should you chose to use their services......

  7. #7
    I don't know barbaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    on pacific ocean, south america
    Posts
    21,406
    Maybe a good time to buy is coming soon.

    It depends on your personal goals.

    Your timeline.

    I am considereing adding to my Vanguard Target Retirement 2035 Fund which is a stock to bond ratio that automatically changes over time.

    The fees are the smallest in the entire industry.

    I also have the Vanguard Total Stock market Indext Fund.

    Index funds.
    ............

  8. #8
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    08-10-2011 @ 09:45 PM
    Location
    A Mad Mad World
    Posts
    3,780
    Quote Originally Posted by benbaaa View Post
    I was reading an article yesterday in the BKK Post which was basically trying to answer the question:

    In these troubled times, how should ordinary people make the most of their savings and investments?

    The answer was un-fucking-believable. It said we should put our money into equities which use derivatives as a hedging tool.

    Now I'm not going to pretend I know what that means, but isn't that the kind of bullshit that got us to where we are today?

    Who are these people doling out this kind of advice?
    Unbelievable! But then again, between the Bangkok Post and the Nation, and the quality of their investigative journalism, what do you expect..pass me the next sheet into the toilet please!

  9. #9
    ทำไมคุณแปลนี้
    filch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    02-01-2019 @ 08:15 PM
    Location
    In yer eyeballs
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Missismiggins
    Unbelievable! But then again, between the Bangkok Post and the Nation, and the quality of their investigative journalism, what do you expect..pass me the next sheet into the toilet please!
    Oh so you're feeling the crunch now and need newspaper as toilet paper?

  10. #10
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    08-10-2011 @ 09:45 PM
    Location
    A Mad Mad World
    Posts
    3,780
    Quote Originally Posted by filch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Missismiggins
    Unbelievable! But then again, between the Bangkok Post and the Nation, and the quality of their investigative journalism, what do you expect..pass me the next sheet into the toilet please!
    Oh so you're feeling the crunch now and need newspaper as toilet paper?
    Not really, just suggesting a better use for these two "rags" beter to wipe your arse on than to read!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •