Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892

    I love Thailand because....

    We have a thread for the negative aspects of living here, but there are positive ones too, otherwise we would never have come to Thailand, or remained here.

    For me there are three that readily spring to mind. The weather. Sure, it does sometimes become unbearably hot, and the heat can wear you down, but in the UK it would become unbearably cold wet dull and dark which is far worse IMHO.

    Then there is the food. Street vendors, restaurants, coffee shops, there is food everywhere and there is so much choice. For someone who enjoys eating out this place is paradise.

    The most positive aspect, however, is the feeling of personal security. In London you dare not walk out alone after dusk. In Bangkok I feel entirely safe at any time of day or night.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,121
    I agree with the security and the food but not the weather. Spending most of my life in the tropics I am now very happy living in a country with a much cooler climate. Today it is 23 degrees and not a cloud in the sky - perfect for me.

    For me you can also add 'cheap' to the list as well. Just about everything is a fraction of the cost then at home as well as the Thai people from the country who most of them seem to be salt of the earth.
    News is what someone, somewhere is trying to suppress - everything else is just advertising.

  3. #3
    Member
    Deus Ex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    04-06-2008 @ 03:28 PM
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    620
    I thought you were a millionaire & all that, what you worried about 'cheap' for, MM?

    I like Thailand because the law is easily bought.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,121
    Everyone seems to think I am a millionaire but I have never said that.

    Even if I was, it is still nice to be able to eat, drink and travel as much as you want while staying in nice hotels without giving the cost a second thought.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    qwerty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    12-11-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Location
    Not far from Ratchada.
    Posts
    1,032
    I really enjoy that way that Thais are so unselfconscious about singing badly in public. Just walking past a cheap Karaoke joint will put a smile on my face.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    I've always preferred brown nipples over pink.

  7. #7
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:50 AM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,389
    it is cheap and makes me handsome

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    04-06-2013 @ 09:51 AM
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge
    Then there is the food. Street vendors, restaurants, coffee shops, there is food everywhere and there is so much choice. For someone who enjoys eating out this place is paradise. The most positive aspect, however, is the feeling of personal security. In London you dare not walk out alone after dusk. In Bangkok I feel entirely safe at any time of day or night.
    The food aint so good in the countryside. As for security, I have a gun here, never had one in the UK. Your title should be ' I love Bangkok because '......... That's not meant to be a personal attack but Thailand is a big place outside of Bangkok.

  9. #9
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    ^
    You're probably right. Just spent a week in Bangkok. Had enough of the suburbs to last a lifetime. Too laid back, although I can see that would be an attraction for many.
    Last edited by Thormaturge; 30-12-2007 at 07:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat Texpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    13,014
    Had enough of the suburbs to last a lifetime
    I go to Udon Thani for a weekend in the big city.

  11. #11
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    06-12-2008 @ 03:19 PM
    Posts
    194
    My wife is here, and i quiet like noodles, but mainly i eat sandwiches.

  12. #12

    R.I.P.


    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,774
    tristram, what would you say if I was to tell you that your wife was having a affair?

  13. #13
    How Dare You!!
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Posts
    12,090
    I like Thailand for its unpredictability.

    Quote Originally Posted by tristram
    My wife is here
    My mate says he likes Thailand because his wife is not there

  14. #14
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge View Post

    The most positive aspect, however, is the feeling of personal security. In London you dare not walk out alone after dusk. In Bangkok I feel entirely safe at any time of day or night.
    Yes, I agree completely.

  15. #15
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:50 AM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,389
    I feel absolutely unsafe crossing the road in Thailand at any time of day or night

  16. #16
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    ^
    Are you chicken?

  17. #17
    The cold, wet one
    November Rain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    31-03-2015 @ 03:06 PM
    Location
    In my happy place
    Posts
    12,214
    ^ Safety aspect's good. Weather. Food. And I actually do like temples and things.

    Love the soi dogs.


    But the best thing about Thailand is my little boy.

  18. #18
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    OK just for you NR i'm posting this evening's Soi Dog experience on the Soi Dog thread, when I can find it.

  19. #19
    I am in Jail
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    06-12-2008 @ 03:19 PM
    Posts
    194
    dirtydog, id say you were lieing and also your a bit of a poo

  20. #20
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,743
    ^
    dirtydog , what would you say if I was to tell you that your hand was having an affair?

  21. #21
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,441
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick
    ^ dirtydog , what would you say if I was to tell you that your hand was having an affair?
    Yeah the left one is cuckolding the right one.

  22. #22
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    30,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Thormaturge
    I love Thailand because....
    I'm a happier person here.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Rattanaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    12-11-2009 @ 12:42 PM
    Posts
    1,955
    I've been here to long to remember. I guess it has something to do with what Texpat said; I like the brown ones. Actually, I guess I never really loved the place. I can't say I hate it either. I live pretty much a humdrum life. Maybe I need religion or something like that. Durian is pretty good here.

  24. #24
    anonymous ant
    tsicar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-10-2016 @ 11:05 PM
    Location
    isaan/south africa
    Posts
    2,895
    i love thailand, because people i meet assume i am intelligent. it is just because they compare me to the thais, but makes me feel good, anyway.

  25. #25
    Mea-Culpa
    Dalton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    31-10-2018 @ 03:57 AM
    Location
    In the sticks.
    Posts
    7,389
    I am a better person when I stay here.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •