Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Posts
    59,183

    Asda offers free alcohol to the Welsh

    Very kind of them. but then they changed their minds.





    A TRANSLATION blunder gave a big cheers to Welsh shoppers - after a supermarket accidentally promised free beer to customers.


    The sign was meant to guide shoppers to "alcohol-free beer" at the Asda supermarket in its Cwmbran store in south Wales.

    But blundering translators on the beer aisle wrote "alcohol am ddim" - meaning alcohol for free - instead of the correct Welsh of "di-alcohol" for alcohol-free beer.


    Guto Aaron, who spotted the sign, said: “Get yourself to Asda, according to their dodgy Welsh translations they are giving away free alcohol!"


    The sign was taken down after the blunder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Does Britain have the same law as in NZ whereby a shop has to honour whatever it advertises or puts a sign up for?
    I've lucked on to some really cheap stuff with that law. Last time was the last time I went to NZ, going through duty-free at Auckland airport and bottles of Bollinger had a shelf tag advising $49. I was going to stay with my mate and his wife loves the stuff so I took two (not knowing the correct price), was charged $300 after scanning, and called the manager in. He tried to wheedle out it, looked at the shelf, offered me the bottles for $75 each. I reminded him of the law and he relented.
    Another time the butcher put the decimal point in the wrong place for lamb cutlets. Love those things when they are a tenth the normal price.

  3. #3
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,398
    fair enough fcuking over the duty free corp

    but the local butcher - WTF ?

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    fair enough fcuking over the duty free corp

    but the local butcher - WTF ?
    I take what you mean, but it was the butcher in the local supermarket, Big Fresh.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Does Britain have the same law as in NZ whereby a shop has to honour whatever it advertises or puts a sign up for?
    I've lucked on to some really cheap stuff with that law. Last time was the last time I went to NZ, going through duty-free at Auckland airport and bottles of Bollinger had a shelf tag advising $49. I was going to stay with my mate and his wife loves the stuff so I took two (not knowing the correct price), was charged $300 after scanning, and called the manager in. He tried to wheedle out it, looked at the shelf, offered me the bottles for $75 each. I reminded him of the law and he relented.
    Another time the butcher put the decimal point in the wrong place for lamb cutlets. Love those things when they are a tenth the normal price.
    Not sure of the details but rings a bell on Tesco (?) or one of the supers advertising that if they get the shelf/scan price wrong you can have that item or all your shopping free; something like that, and you can guess at the chaos before they pdq about turned!

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    Not sure of the details but rings a bell on Tesco (?)
    Tesco Thailand give the product for free if the shelf tag is different to the scanned price.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Tesco Thailand give the product for free if the shelf tag is different to the scanned price.
    Bloody never did when I caught them out, more than once. Kicked up a stink when the cashier insisted her computer must be right, with the shelf price around half the scanned price, manageress rushed over, apologised profusely and assured me this is Thailand like I didn't know and they're not allowed to overcharge customers, so I could have it at the shelf price.

    That said, never had a problem with Tesco managers or ftm any farang chain managers, always polite, understanding of farang expectations and eager to solve the problem, unlike floor supervisors that would rather you piss off.

    Also stay alert on 2-4-1 and other promos that are supposed to be deducted at the checkout, not always, though was a bit pissed at returning to customer services from the car park for my 12 bt refund on 4 donuts.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat prawnograph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    11th Military Circle
    Posts
    1,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Does Britain have the same law as in NZ whereby a shop has to honour whatever it advertises or puts a sign up for?
    I've lucked on to some really cheap stuff with that law. Last time was the last time I went to NZ, going through duty-free at Auckland airport and bottles of Bollinger had a shelf tag advising $49. I was going to stay with my mate and his wife loves the stuff so I took two (not knowing the correct price), was charged $300 after scanning, and called the manager in. He tried to wheedle out it, looked at the shelf, offered me the bottles for $75 each. I reminded him of the law and he relented.
    Another time the butcher put the decimal point in the wrong place for lamb cutlets. Love those things when they are a tenth the normal price.
    That's incorrect for NZ, no such law. But may occur in a 'good faith' situation
    I've just completed a contract with Foodstuffs NZ, their pricing integrity staff may apologise and in some cases offer a token gift voucher, but there is no binding legislation on mis-priced items

    Eg Harvey Norman under-pricing error
    “All sales made during this period cannot be honoured. Our website terms and conditions state that we may accept or reject any offer to purchase made by you and that we have the right to correct any errors,"
    Also: Consumer Protection NZ

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    Bloody never did when I caught them out, more than once.
    I asserted it because I experienced it once. I didn't expect to be refunded for what I saw as an overcharge, just the cost adjusted, but they refunded me the whole cost price of the item. Took only a few minutes at the service desk. It was a pack of almonds, if I recall, and the shelf tag price was very inviting so I grabbed one. When the total came, I was a bit surprised because I normally keep a running tally in my head of what I'm buying, so questioned this particular item. All I wanted was a refund with the return of the almonds as I wouldn't have selected them otherwise. But they gave me a full refund and I got to keep the almonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by prawnograph View Post
    That's incorrect for NZ, no such law. But may occur in a 'good faith' situation
    I won't argue, but the duty-free manager seemed to be under the same misaprehension. Big Fresh do it as a store policy, that's true.

  10. #10
    lob
    lob is offline
    Thailand Expat
    lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Posts
    1,972
    sell at add price was law in uk when i was a kid, dont know about now

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    27,094
    Explains why Sid's been blotto all Easter

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •