Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 72
  1. #1
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493

    How did it happen?

    Something unusual jut happened to me. Something unworldly perhaps. What I want to know is how it happened.

    I'm just back from a shopping trip. While I was in the shopping mall, I went to the ATM to withdraw some money. I put my ATM card in the machine, punched in the PIN code, entered how much money I wanted and waited. The ATM machine then told me the equipment had a problem and told me to withdraw my card from the machine. I could not see my card and no money came out. The ATM machine was outside a branch of the bank so I went inside the branch and told them what had happened. They told me the ATM machine would not be opened until 2nd January. I told them I needed some money. The staff member went to see the manager. A minute or two later the manager appears and we I tell her the whole thing again. She then opens the machine and tells me my card is not there. She would not let me look inside the machine myself but asks me again if it was really that machine. Exasperated I told her yes, of course, and I've used it many times before. It's not there she repeated.

    At a loss what to do, I looked in my wallet. I've no idea how it happened but my ATM card was in there. I felt somewhat embarrassed as I told the bank staff and showed them my card. Mai pen rai, they told me. Kudos for them for brushing it off as if it's a daily occurance. But how on earth did my ATM card get back in my wallet? I have no recollection of taking it from the machine. Were aliens messing with me and the bank? Or did I have a mini black out at exactly the time I withdrew my card? Or is there some other explanation?
    signature

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    24,025
    Sounds like early stage alzheimers

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,105
    You were on auto, easy enough for a common task, withdrew the card and put it into your wallet preoccupied with the unusual situation, and forgot.

    Or AZ as the man said.

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:25 PM
    Location
    Northern Thailand
    Posts
    741
    I can't offer an explanation but can think of two possibilities, both of which I fear I would be ridiculed to mention here. (But both of which have happened to others elsewhere.) But if it were me I'd being checking via another machine or online if the attempted cash withdrawal was processed, and I'd be watching the account closely for a few days.

  5. #5
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:53 AM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    20,176
    c.r.a.f.t disease

    can't remeber a fcukin thing

    you could behave like the blue rinse set and claim that you were gassed - or you could just kiss the branch manger on her thad and beg forgiveness

    I know which I would choose

  6. #6
    festive member stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    22,662
    Lay off the drugs during daytime, mate.

  7. #7
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,105
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    You were on auto, easy enough for a common task, withdrew the card and put it into your wallet preoccupied with the unusual situation, and forgot.

    Or AZ as the man said.
    Most likely scenario.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Posts
    9,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    At a loss what to do, I looked in my wallet. I've no idea how it happened but my ATM card was in there. I felt somewhat embarrassed as I told the bank staff and showed them my card. Mai pen rai, they told me. Kudos for them for brushing it off as if it's a daily occurance. But how on earth did my ATM card get back in my wallet? I have no recollection of taking it from the machine. Were aliens messing with me and the bank? Or did I have a mini black out at exactly the time I withdrew my card? Or is there some other explanation?
    don't sweat, perfectly normal. Annoying background Thai music will automaticaly shutoff your brain from the annoyance, and you will be on Auto mode. When the music stops or your brain wants to take over again, you have no idea what you just did, and think you forgot something since you had no recollection. But the superiority of your brain knew what it was doing all along, and took care of everything.

    I blame the constant noises and annoying music in this country that put people in constant suspension of self-awareness

    noise has a very powerful impact on our brain, hence our behavior,

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    fishlocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bungling in the jungle
    Posts
    7,373
    I got one for you. Last time in Laos I hit an ATM. Missy fish at the curb saying hurry hurry. You see I believe her job is to spend my money. My job is to keep that from happening.

    So as I'm counting my millions (Lao Kip) I lay the card on my wallet on the counter top at the machine. The thing spits out a receipt of the transaction and get this, the actual ballance in the account. Hurry, hurry in the background. I stuff the cash and receipt in my fanny pack and go.

    Later that night I figured out I hadn't my Id or cards. The whole thing gone. I'm like oh shit. Tell the gf and sisters. They say no problem. I'm like the hell it isn't!

    They say go to bank 10am tomorrow, no problem.

    I'm like the hell it isn't!

    So I walk into the bank show the man at the big desk my receipt and explain my situation. He says, " Do you have your passport I said yes. As I pull it out he opens a safe next to him and has all my stuff.

    I ask how and he said a business man did a deal later that day, found my stuff and turned it in to him.

    Said he couldn't tell me who the guy was so I wrote him a note saying I'll take him out to dinner. Gave my phone and address at home, he had the address anyway. And left a finders fee for the both of them.

    This guy would have been on my Christmas list for the rest of my life but he never tried to contact me. I asked miss fish what the deal was. She said he did it for carma or some good luck. I was floored.

    Had this happened in the states, well you know.

    fish.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Location
    Sumatra
    Posts
    2,536
    Conditioning. Thai ATM waits until you have completed the transaction before returning your card.
    UK ATM returns your card before issuing the cash. I’ve left loads of cards in the machine and happily wandered off with my money. This was an early years in Thailand experience.
    You have modified the experience to your liking through conditioning, then clicked to Thai default at the end. I have too many ATM cards from UK and Asian banks. The UK ones are still on 4 digit pins. The Asian ones now on six digit pins.
    Confusing as fook, when they are all based on parts of my old army number which has 8 digits.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Mandaloopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:59 PM
    Location
    ᠮᠣᠩᠭᠣᠯ ᠤᠯᠤᠰ
    Posts
    1,731
    Hungover? I get awful brain fog with them these days

  12. #12
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    You were on auto, easy enough for a common task, withdrew the card and put it into your wallet preoccupied with the unusual situation, and forgot.
    The auto thing could be right, Jabir. Sometimes I've been driving and wondered where the last mile or two disapeared to.

    Quote Originally Posted by BoganInParasite View Post
    I can't offer an explanation but can think of two possibilities, both of which I fear I would be ridiculed to mention here. (But both of which have happened to others elsewhere.) But if it were me I'd being checking via another machine or online if the attempted cash withdrawal was processed, and I'd be watching the account closely for a few days.
    I'll check that when I can. Thanks BiP.

    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    c.r.a.f.t disease


    can't remeber a fcukin thing


    you could behave like the blue rinse set and claim that you were gassed - or you could just kiss the branch manger on her thad and beg forgiveness


    I know which I would choose
    I think I'll definitly get a full dose of c.r.a.f.t. disease sometime in the future. The branch manager didn't hang around. More important things to do than wait around for a kiss from me.

    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Lay off the drugs during daytime, mate.
    Top tip, stroller. I'll keep it in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    don't sweat, perfectly normal. Annoying background Thai music will automaticaly shutoff your brain from the annoyance, and you will be on Auto mode. When the music stops or your brain wants to take over again, you have no idea what you just did, and think you forgot something since you had no recollection. But the superiority of your brain knew what it was doing all along, and took care of everything.


    I blame the constant noises and annoying music in this country that put people in constant suspension of self-awareness


    noise has a very powerful impact on our brain, hence our behavior,
    There wasn't any noise that I can recall but I was wary and perhaps slightly distracted by a guy at the next machine who had been acting suspiciously as I waited in the queue to use the ATM.

  13. #13
    ความรู้ลึกลับ HuangLao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ตะพานหิน
    Posts
    5,343
    In and out of twisted parallel universes....

    It's been known to happen without notice.


  14. #14
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandaloopy View Post
    Hungover? I get awful brain fog with them these days
    Completely sober with no hangover. I had a small can of LEO last night but I didn't get drunk and had no hangover this morning. But I will have another can at sometime in the future and will try to monitor my recollections ... if that's possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Conditioning. Thai ATM waits until you have completed the transaction before returning your card.
    UK ATM returns your card before issuing the cash. I’ve left loads of cards in the machine and happily wandered off with my money. This was an early years in Thailand experience.
    You have modified the experience to your liking through conditioning, then clicked to Thai default at the end. I have too many ATM cards from UK and Asian banks. The UK ones are still on 4 digit pins. The Asian ones now on six digit pins.
    Confusing as fook, when they are all based on parts of my old army number which has 8 digits.
    I'll need to work out what I am conditioned to. However, all I am ever really concerned about is getting three things from the machine: money, receipt and my card back. I don't care what order I get them as I just check I've got all three each time. Food for thought on the conditioning though. Cheers.

  15. #15
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    In and out of twisted parallel universes....

    It's been known to happen without notice.

    I was hoping that it was somethng like that, Jeff. Now all I need to do is recall what happened on the other side. Cheers.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    24,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    But if it were me I'd being checking via another machine or online if the attempted cash withdrawal was processed, and I'd be watching the account closely for a few days.
    I'll check that when I can. Thanks BiP.
    Don't you get an sms from your bank as soon as a transaction happens?

    Or did you forget that too?

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat raycarey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,385
    is it possible you put a card in the ATM that wasn't affiliated with the bank? the manager may have just been looking for cards affiliated with her bank and pushed your non affiliated card to the side while looking for your name on her bank's card.

    keep an eye on your accounts, but don't sweat the "alzheimer's" thing though.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    24,025
    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    is it possible you put a card in the ATM that wasn't affiliated with the bank?
    Good point.

    I drunkenly put my credit card in the ATM this year and put in my debit cards PIN and it got swallowed up.
    Sounds like he may have done the same

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    10,619
    Quote Originally Posted by HuangLao View Post
    In and out of twisted parallel universes....

    It's been known to happen without notice.
    How would you know it happened if you didn't notice???

  20. #20
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Don't you get an sms from your bank as soon as a transaction happens?

    Or did you forget that too?
    I've never got an SMS from my bank about transactions.

    Quote Originally Posted by raycarey View Post
    is it possible you put a card in the ATM that wasn't affiliated with the bank? the manager may have just been looking for cards affiliated with her bank and pushed your non affiliated card to the side while looking for your name on her bank's card.


    keep an eye on your accounts, but don't sweat the "alzheimer's" thing though.
    My card was for the same bank as the ATM. I got my card back (it was in my wallet!!) but I just don't recall it happening.

    The alzheimers thing? I'd forgotten about that until you reminded me!

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    24,025
    Check your wallet Nev, see if this is still in there...







  22. #22
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Check your wallet Nev, see if this is still in there...






    I can't find it, but that reminds me of something that happened to me today.

    I went shopping today and went to the ATM to withdraw some money but then the ATM machine then told me there was a problem and told me to take my card from the machine. I couldn't see my card so as the ATM machine was outside a branch of the bank I went inside and told them what happened. A minute or two later the manager arrived and we I told her what happened. She opened the machine and told me my card isn't there.

    At that point, I looked in my wallet and somehow my ATM card was there. I felt embarrassed as I told the bank staff and showed them my card. Mai pen rai, they told me. I was glad I had my card back but how on earth did it get back in my wallet? I have no recollection of taking it from the machine. What the hell happened?

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    10,619
    Too much wanking causing blood vessels in the brain to compress, causing confusion. Sorry no link, just everyday experiences.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,587
    I think you will find that the matrix has been fucking with you, intermingling TeakDoor with real life. You put the card in got the money put card back into your wallet, and then some gay knacker mod like rayray cam along and deleted everything from the point that you saw some message until you were stood waiting for a card that you had already taken. They even swiped your cash and then came on here doubtless to sow more seeds of doubt into your recollection of the events.
    Originally Posted by bsnub "No wonder I drive a tesla"

  25. #25
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    15,493
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    I think you will find that the matrix has been fucking with you, intermingling TeakDoor with real life. You put the card in got the money put card back into your wallet, and then some gay knacker mod like rayray cam along and deleted everything from the point that you saw some message until you were stood waiting for a card that you had already taken. They even swiped your cash and then came on here doubtless to sow more seeds of doubt into your recollection of the events.
    Bastards. Was it the all arranged by the CIA to cause worldwide havoc and confusion? Sounds like the kind of thing they'd do for kicks in their coffee breaks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Too much wanking causing blood vessels in the brain to compress, causing confusion. Sorry no link, just everyday experiences.
    I wonder if a lack of wanking causes a similar outcome. I suppose I'm on the wrong forum to find out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •