Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 84
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351

    We've really fucked this world up, haven't we.

    Plastic particles found in bottled water



    Tests on major brands of bottled water have found that nearly all of them contained tiny particles of plastic.
    In the largest investigation of its kind, 250 bottles bought in nine different countries were examined.
    Research led by journalism organisation Orb Media discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per litre, each larger than the width of a human hair.
    Companies whose brands were tested told the BBC that their bottling plants were operated to the highest standards.
    The tests were conducted at the State University of New York in Fredonia.




    Read on with link below;

    Plastic particles found in bottled water - BBC News
    42

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,336
    Beer is filtered down to 0.5 microns and comes in glass and aluminum containers.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:41 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    8,507
    I don't drink water.... fish shit, piss and fuck in it. There's no filter small enough for fish sperm.

  4. #4
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    18-03-2018 @ 12:25 PM
    Posts
    30
    The thread title is unusual. The plastic particles come from the bottle if I'm not mistaken. It's nothing to worry about in countries where tap water is drinkable.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Richards View Post
    The thread title is unusual. The plastic particles come from the bottle if I'm not mistaken. It's nothing to worry about in countries where tap water is drinkable.
    I have doubts as to the purity of tap water anywhere. There have been issues in the UK and Australia that I'm personally aware of and from what I've read it is likely that the water of the world is fucked.

    Now, it might not be all that dangerous at the moment, not an immediate threat, but the fact that there's plastic in everything disturbs and, not to put too fine a point on it, shocks me.

    Hence the title of the thread.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat AntRobertson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    34,938
    Research led by journalism organisation Orb Media discovered an average of 10 plastic particles per litre, each larger than the width of a human hair.
    Meh it's not like I drink 3 - 6 liters per day, mostly direct from the bottle...







    ...

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,177
    This is more of a problem with regards to marine life that ingest this garbage. There is a real risk of large scale fish die offs.

  8. #8
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Last Online
    18-03-2018 @ 12:25 PM
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    I have doubts as to the purity of tap water anywhere. There have been issues in the UK and Australia that I'm personally aware of and from what I've read it is likely that the water of the world is fucked.

    Now, it might not be all that dangerous at the moment, not an immediate threat, but the fact that there's plastic in everything disturbs and, not to put too fine a point on it, shocks me.

    Hence the title of the thread.
    Collect rainwater. Problem mostly solved.

    I always use a filter for tap water. It can also be boiled as a further precaution.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by AntRobertson View Post
    Meh it's not like I drink 3 - 6 liters per day, mostly direct from the bottle...








    ...

    Oh, you're OK then I suppose.
    Me, yes, I do drink 3-6 litres per day, mostly direct from the bottle cos that's what I've always done.
    So, combined with the fish I love to eat and the water I enjoy drinking it's plastic plastic plastic all the way.
    What a fuck up.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by bsnub View Post
    This is more of a problem with regards to marine life that ingest this garbage. There is a real risk of large scale fish die offs.
    Absolutely right.
    I've no doubt the problem is far worse than one would have imagined.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    10,529
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    I've no doubt the problem is far worse than one would have imagined
    ...actually, I never imagined a problem at all...now I'll be haunted with every sip...

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Richards View Post
    Collect rainwater. Problem mostly solved.

    I always use a filter for tap water. It can also be boiled as a further precaution.
    It would appear that filtering tap water is barely effective. As I understand it boiling has zero effect on plastic. Happy to proved wrong on that though.
    Yes, rain water might be the answer and it will be interesting to see the results of a similar check on rain water, if they get round to it.

    Please let me be clear, I'm not going into panic mode on this, I'm just shocked that it has got to such a state.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Bali waters polluted with plastic - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)


    Bali waters polluted with plastic

    Posted 6 Mar 2018, 6:17am
    Rich Horner posted this video to Facebook that reportedly shows the waters off Manta Point in Bali, Indonesia, filled with plastic waste.
    Source: ABC News | Duration: 2min 34sec
    Topics: environmental-impact, marine-biology, indonesia

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Airportwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Location
    Flat Earth
    Posts
    3,634
    I have been reading about just how fckued up the water supply has become, appears that the only way to get clean drinking water is to distill it yourself!
    Just ordered a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter to check my drinking water which is triple filtered, if that is still full of crap I will be buying a home water distiller.

  15. #15
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    21-10-2019 @ 06:05 PM
    Posts
    345
    Buy a water filter and use better bottles.

  16. #16
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    21-10-2019 @ 06:05 PM
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    It would appear that filtering tap water is barely effective. As I understand it boiling has zero effect on plastic. Happy to proved wrong on that though.
    Yes, rain water might be the answer and it will be interesting to see the results of a similar check on rain water, if they get round to it.

    Please let me be clear, I'm not going into panic mode on this, I'm just shocked that it has got to such a state.
    Water filters work well if 1 micron or finer.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasher View Post
    Water filters work well if 1 micron or finer.
    Can you recommend any particular model or system?

  18. #18
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    21-10-2019 @ 06:05 PM
    Posts
    345
    • Ideal for: Hiking, Fishing, Hunting, Survival, Military, Foreign Travel, Emergency, etc.
    • High filtration fineness: unique dual ceramic membranes cartridge with mean pore size of 0.1 micron.
    • 99.9999% removes bacteria with 0.0001mm ceramic membranes cartridge
    • Material: ABS plastic, Ceramic, Nano-metal clusters media (NMC)
    • Turns rain, lake, and river water into drinkable water immediately!
    • $20 on amazon

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Airportwo View Post
    I have been reading about just how fckued up the water supply has become, appears that the only way to get clean drinking water is to distill it yourself!
    Just ordered a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) meter to check my drinking water which is triple filtered, if that is still full of crap I will be buying a home water distiller.
    Where did you get the TDS from?

  20. #20
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    21-10-2019 @ 06:05 PM
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    Can you recommend any particular model or system?
    Depends on quality of tap water to start with. If not that bad a $100 single artridge system will be fine. If it's crap a triple filter might be needed and reverse osmosmis takes everything out but is slow.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    28-10-2019 @ 03:54 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,958
    My Mary showed me a FB video of plastic being ground into granules and mixed into Asian rice . Plastic in rice.
    What rice filter do you recommend to decontaminate Cow.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    19,177
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    I've no doubt the problem is far worse than one would have imagined.
    Indeed it is.



    It only will get worse....


  23. #23
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 11:14 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    Yep agreed CJ

    There's that gyre in Pacific I read the size of Belgium I think

    Oddly there are more Chinese than ever and they're living longer

    In my small span I've tried ltd use of plastic but its in Thai mentality and everywhere evne on remote lines I cycle

    I suppose only soltion is you fancy going to Mars with snubby in a musky Tesla

    Oh and there's all these micro beads in beauty products

    Stick to Beer

    Also have a tax on plastic bags caused 90% less use in Ireland and deposit on all plastic containers say 10 baht would make drink vendors etc switch to paper bamboo, glass alternatives
    I used to have a job at a calendar factory.
    I got the sack because
    I took a couple of days off.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Location
    Sumatra
    Posts
    3,819
    The huge profit margins on bottled water will motivate the companies responsible to eradicate the problem.

    Cant see them walking away from a cash cow like water.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    The huge profit margins on bottled water will motivate the companies responsible to eradicate the problem.

    Cant see them walking away from a cash cow like water.
    Let's hope so. But I'm a cynic when it comes to the motivation of the multi national global entities.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •