Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456

    "Thai man no good!"

    If there's one fact I keep hearing over and over it's this one!
    My missus says it and so do the majority of bargirls I talk to.
    Most of my students don't natuarally express an opinion but I have had the odd one or two make a similar comment.

    Mainstream Thai families, we are led to believe, don't like the idea of a farang boyfriend/ husband so it's generally the poorer side of life that's looking for an easy way out of poverty.
    The 'bad' girls from Thai families tend to go for the Japanese and I assume they still have some credibility amongst society

    Do you think it's true?
    Are Thai men no good?
    Or is this another 'line' developed to appeal to western egos while they secure their futures with our hard earned?

    Instead of generalising about Somchai, tuktuk drivers and needle dicks what do you think about this over-used opinion?
    Is it a con?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    20-09-2006 @ 09:55 PM
    Posts
    2,975
    Being a newbie I am gonna put my toe in the water by saying that it is a generalization, but one that is designed to massage the ego's of the falang male. Keeping in mind that bargals are highly skilled (from what I hear) in making the falang male feel good I wouldn't lend it a lot of creedence.

  3. #3
    There once upon a time...
    Torbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    02-08-2014 @ 05:14 AM
    Posts
    1,184
    I don't know...

    Look at any group of Thai males once they get together. Invariably goofing off way or another for countless hours at a time - blind drunk at 11-00 am, mia nois hanging off them, work being deferred to a more "suitable" time...

    They hardly look a great catch!


  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    13-07-2019 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,884
    We often can hear about a lady having a child is no more accepted for another Thai men afterward...

    I know 1 case up to now only where a thai men accepted to marry a Thai lady having a 2 year child allready, from another father...

    ( in this case the lady is not really poor and managed to finance the new house construction and the credit for the purchase of the new pickup, the man is not bad as he has a good university degree )

    They look like being happy together and i hope and think that this acquisitions were not the only fuel for the binding.


    We falangs, are we really the only chance for Thai lady with kid, for couple life?

    Falangs having a Thai lady with past relation kids, surely over 50 % of the posters of this forums...( count me in this category! )


  5. #5
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Torbek
    I don't know...

    Look at any group of Thai males once they get together. Invariably goofing off way or another for countless hours at a time - blind drunk at 11-00 am, mia nois hanging off them, work being deferred to a more "suitable" time...

    They hardly look a great catch!

    I know that is easy to see around Bangkok.
    But my impression is these are issan workers who are away from home and do what they can to enjoy themselves.

    I've also met a number of guys who barely drink and who work long hours (notice I never said they worked hard!) and stay very faithful totheir partners!
    Also Japanese and Korean's have a reputation for getting drunk a bit!
    But are they dismissed by their women as being bad husbands?

  6. #6
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by forreachingme
    We often can hear about a lady having a child is no more accepted for another Thai men afterward...

    I know 1 case up to now only where a thai men accepted to marry a Thai lady having a 2 year child allready, from another father...

    ( in this case the lady is not really poor and managed to finance the new house construction and the credit for the purchase of the new pickup, the man is not bad as he has a good university degree )

    They look like being happy together and i hope and think that this acquisitions were not the only fuel for the binding.


    We falangs, are we really the only chance for Thai lady with kid, for couple life?

    Falangs having a Thai lady with past relation kids, surely over 50 % of the posters of this forums...( count me in this category! )

    I'd predict 50% is way, way over the mark.
    Not for any particular reason but I think having a Thai wife with a kid or two is quite acceptable to most farang. We have a tendency to look at the woman and not the baggage.

  7. #7
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Torbek
    I don't know...

    Look at any group of Thai males once they get together. Invariably goofing off way or another for countless hours at a time - blind drunk at 11-00 am, mia nois hanging off them, work being deferred to a more "suitable" time...

    They hardly look a great catch!

    while(Thai males = Other nationality)
    {
    substitue(Other nationality, Thai males);
    if(!not true)
    {
    echo "Holy Shit!! a Fuckin Miracle!!!";
    }
    }

    Quote Originally Posted by poolcleaner
    Or is this another 'line' developed to appeal to western egos while they secure their futures with our hard earned?
    It's a fuckin' con. Get away from the areas that attract women trying to find frang (Dumb Motherfuckers With Money) you hear this less and less.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    forreachingme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    13-07-2019 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    By the flippos and roaming
    Posts
    2,884
    Dear Poolie, could you start a Poll for this?


    for the people i know around me, falangs, 50 % + of them have a wife with past progeniture...

    It's absolutely fine for me, i am delighted with my first, i legally adopted her even ...

    My other point was to give more reason to the bar girls saying "Thai men is bad " as they are rejected if having a child from another... is this true ?

  9. #9
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by forreachingme
    Dear Poolie, could you start a Poll for this?


    for the people i know around me, falangs, 50 % + of them have a wife with past progeniture...

    It's absolutely fine for me, i am delighted with my first, i legally adopted her even ...

    My other point was to give more reason to the bar girls saying "Thai men is bad " as they are rejected if having a child from another... is this true ?
    Actually you may have hit on the answer I was looking for..
    Perhaps it's because they find themselves separated from their husbands with the inevitability of spinsterhood facing them that they take the anti Thai male stance.
    My missus is very firm about not wanting a Thai partner but her sisters are all quite happily married to Thais.

    As for the poll, I'm sure you'd be right on ThaiVisa but not here IMO!

  10. #10
    Member
    hirondelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    24-10-2011 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    477
    Having been married to a Thai man for 12 years (separated now as most of you know) I would say Thai men are just like men the world over - indeed people the world over; some good some bad

    not exactly earth shattering news is it?

    My husband is a middle class Thai chinese guy - graduate, professional etc etc. He rarely drank, and was utterly faithful (yes I am sure of it). Most of male friends were very similar - all excellent husband material.

    Now I know you are gonna ask "so why leave him?" so I will answer briefly - we grew apart and I realised that I was gonna turn into a bitter old lady if I stayed with the comittment I made. I was sad to leave but know I did the wrong thing. But this could have happened with any partner, regardless of nationality or indeed gender.

    I think the Thai man being no good comment is intended for its audience. I have a lot of Thai female friends and aquaintences and have never heard one of them say it. A lot of them (especially middle class) never consider a farang husband as a particular "catch" or "target" though they would marry one if the fell in love of course!! But then they aren't bargirls and they don't have children from previous relationships.

    btw, I have one male Thai friend who fell in love with and married a woman with a child.

    A big long ramble that says simple, we can't generalise.

  11. #11
    befuddled
    danbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    10-08-2008 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Hatty Town
    Posts
    3,452
    As with all sweeping generalisations it is both true and false in that it contains aspects that have foundations based on experience and therefore from the subject's perspective also truth; however, there will also be elements that have no better source than fantasy or malicious falsehood which are no netter than attempts at endearment to a potential 'catch'.....I don't really know what I'm going on about, just felt like typing something.......IMO people are no good, no point in restricting the pool to a gender and a nationality........

  12. #12
    RIP
    klongmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nonthaburi
    Posts
    4,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible
    it is a generalization, but one that is designed to massage the ego's of the falang male
    This would be my take as well

    I mean, the potential 'husband' is hardly likely to dip very deep into the financial reserves if the TG kept saying how good Thai men were.

    I think that there are good and bad in every country..and coming from NZ you'd be hard pressed to find a lazier breed than the natives there



    Quote Originally Posted by Torbek
    Invariably goofing off way or another for countless hours at a time - blind drunk at 11-00 am
    Torbek: you been down pattaya-way lately...or even walked down suk rd...seemed to be an accurate portrayal of many fair-skinned foreigners who are visiting Thailand

    Good and bad in every country is my feeling

  13. #13
    Not an expat
    Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Hamburg, cold dark Germany
    Posts
    5,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Sensible
    saying that it is a generalization, but one that is designed to massage the ego's of the falang male.
    That has always ben my theory.

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    30-10-2012 @ 09:52 PM
    Posts
    15
    Absolutely true, I'd say. I've heard so many horror stories...from the women themselves...when you can get them to talk. Drinking, whoring...I knew one women, the husband kept his mia noi at his mother's house...Another, the husband drank himself to death. When he died, she'd found out that he'd cashed out the life insurance policy and remortgaged the house to support his mia noi...The wife ended up with nothing...The mia noi had a life insurance policy, a house bought in her name...

    A third, the guy hasn't worked his entire life...The wife supports the family...He gets up in the morning and immediately starts drinking...They've got five kids, she finally made him get a vasectomy, because he kept wanting to screw when he was drunk and she'd end up pregnant...

    A fourth, a nice Thai woman...The husband's only home three days a week, spends the other time with his mia noi...

    My maid, who came back from the holidays last year with a concussion because her husband had slapped her around...

    I could go on and on...In fact, nearly every woman I've met who is or has been married to a Thai has had a similar story. It's can't just be coincidence...And then there are all the middle-aged women who have never married...They tell a similar tale...It's because they wouldn't marry a Thai men.

    So are Thai men no good -- Yep. Sure, there are exceptions, but in general Thai men are dishonest, irresponsible, lazy, and arrogant...On the other hand, that's the way their mothers have raised them, so who's really to blame?

  15. #15
    Aspiring Guru
    poolcleaner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    27-07-2006 @ 09:21 PM
    Location
    pratunam
    Posts
    4,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermain

    Thai men are dishonest, irresponsible, lazy, and arrogant...
    Damn, that describes me to a tee!

  16. #16
    Member
    SiamCutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    28-11-2013 @ 03:17 PM
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    222
    I agree Hirondelle, Thai men are as mix-up as any nationality!!

    good, bad and ugly ones

    I hope you said was a mistake
    I was sad to leave but know I did the wrong thing.
    .....better the right thing

  17. #17
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermain
    Absolutely true, I'd say. I've heard so many horror stories...from the women themselves...when you can get them to talk. Drinking, whoring...I knew one women, the husband kept his mia noi at his mother's house...Another, the husband drank himself to death. When he died, she'd found out that he'd cashed out the life insurance policy and remortgaged the house to support his mia noi...The wife ended up with nothing...The mia noi had a life insurance policy, a house bought in her name...

    A third, the guy hasn't worked his entire life...The wife supports the family...He gets up in the morning and immediately starts drinking...They've got five kids, she finally made him get a vasectomy, because he kept wanting to screw when he was drunk and she'd end up pregnant...

    A fourth, a nice Thai woman...The husband's only home three days a week, spends the other time with his mia noi...

    My maid, who came back from the holidays last year with a concussion because her husband had slapped her around...

    I could go on and on...In fact, nearly every woman I've met who is or has been married to a Thai has had a similar story. It's can't just be coincidence...And then there are all the middle-aged women who have never married...They tell a similar tale...It's because they wouldn't marry a Thai men.

    So are Thai men no good -- Yep. Sure, there are exceptions, but in general Thai men are dishonest, irresponsible, lazy, and arrogant...On the other hand, that's the way their mothers have raised them, so who's really to blame?
    Hang out in the honk-tonks and triler parks of the States you hear much the same thing...
    Being somewhat of a noob n Thailand, only lived here for about four years I am amazed at this. I must be truly innocent. The only places where I have heard this to any great extent is the bars or in internet chat rooms. The married folks I've met all seem to be realitively well adjusted and the ladies lacking bruises. I really must get out more...
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -- T. Jefferson


  18. #18
    punk douche bag
    ChiangMai noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    o dan y bryn
    Posts
    29,256
    My Turkish wife once told me, with a beautiful misuse of the superlative, that Turkish men were the best in the world at beating their wives.

  19. #19
    Member
    hirondelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    24-10-2011 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by SiamCutie
    I agree Hirondelle, Thai men are as mix-up as any nationality!!

    good, bad and ugly ones

    I hope you said was a mistake
    I was sad to leave but know I did the wrong thing.
    .....better the right thing
    yep oopsie... right thing, lol def the right thing thanks for pointing that out

  20. #20
    Member
    SiamCutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    28-11-2013 @ 03:17 PM
    Location
    at home
    Posts
    222
    not one of those freudian slips then!!

  21. #21
    Member
    hirondelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    24-10-2011 @ 09:53 AM
    Posts
    477
    Quote Originally Posted by friscofrankie
    Hang out in the honk-tonks and triler parks of the States you hear much the same thing...
    interesting point - yet how much easier it is to say / hear "most Thai men are bastards" than "most poor, working class men with limited education are bastards" - easier to be racist than classist I suppose

  22. #22
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    Think many of the farang that end up hearing this over and over just don't get out into the mainstream. For many (by no means all) Thailand is just a long string of bars bargirls and shop girls looking for a farang to squeeze.
    guy notices how popular Farang are in that neck of the woods, asks his current cutie why, "Oh, Thai man no good"
    then he hangs out in bars where many of the girls have Tuk-tuk drivers, dope peddlers and pimps for Boyfriends, what's he to believe? See a guy like this he sets himself to hear this repeatedly, from many sources. Hell the ladies know what he wants to hear. He wears that desire like a red badge. Not that he's a fat, bald, lousy fuck with money, but that he's the fucking catch of the centruy 'cause he's not Thai. He has conned himself by limiting himself to one segment of society, The sleazy one. Nothng wrong with a little sleaze. But to take the view point with him out into the world? There are other aspects to this or any culture.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    mad_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    10-05-2017 @ 11:52 AM
    Posts
    5,099
    Avoid women who say stuff like "Thai man no good", "why you thinking too much" ,"me no have school"
    So says mad_dog.

  24. #24
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    or, "you no need learn thai i help you!"

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    mad_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    10-05-2017 @ 11:52 AM
    Posts
    5,099
    or "me no smoking (yaba) me thinking too much"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •