Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    Molecular Mixup
    blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Location
    54įN
    Posts
    11,353

    '8 foot' Komodo Dragon vs Tourist Wearing Shorts

    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT

    A tourist was attacked by a Komodo Dragon after he got too close while trying to take a photo.
    Loh Lee Aik, 50, was taken to hospital with leg injuries after being pounced on by the venomous lizard in Komodo National Park Indonesia




    Loh was given first aid at the site before being taken by boat to nearby Flores

    The Singaporean came across a bank of the animals feasting on pigs and goats from a nearby village and 'excitedly' took a picture, according to police
    But he did not realise another Komodo was approaching and was badly bitten.
    Loh was touring the island during the Komodo's mating season, running from May to August, when the lizards are more aggressive.
    He also did not have a guide, which is against official advice, and failed to report the incident to authorities.

    Read more: Tourist is attacked by a Komodo dragon in Indonesia | Daily Mail Online


    Recent research has found that the dragons' jaws have highly sophisticated venom glands that can cause paralysis, spasms and shock through haemorrhaging.
    The lizards are native to several Indonesian islands, and are considered a vulnerable species, with only a few thousand left in the world.
    They can grow up to 10 feet long and weigh up to 154 pounds.


    The head of Komodo National Park, who is known only by his first name, Sudiyono, said it was the first attack on a tourist since 1974, when a man was killed. Stock photo of the park


    WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT


  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 05:42 AM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,954
    He was lucky that it wasn't a really dangerous killer like a lion or Tiger.
    It was only a lizard, Aussies eat em for breakfast .

  3. #3
    Molecular Mixup
    blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Location
    54įN
    Posts
    11,353


    Steve Irwin gets up close and personnel

  4. #4
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    He was lucky that it wasn't a really dangerous killer like a lion or Tiger.
    It was only a lizard, Aussies eat em for breakfast .
    Not sure about that with this lizard.

    Their mouths contain some really nasty and deadly bacteria. They don't kill their prey outright, but simply bite them and wait a few days for the bacteria to do its work.

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Guy doesn't lose his leg at least.

    Nature, a wonderful thing.

  5. #5
    Your local I.Q. Monitor
    Hugh Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:54 AM
    Location
    Qld/Bangkok
    Posts
    2,335
    I must admit In general I quite like reptiles. Although cautious when near them
    I don't fear them and am quite fascinated by them. I find the way snakes move quite fascinating. As a boy I had a pet bearded dragon lizard. For some reason Komodo dragons bring up a feeling of disgust in me akin to a dozen large cockroaches crawling over your dinner plate.

  6. #6
    Molecular Mixup
    blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Location
    54įN
    Posts
    11,353
    Komodo Dragon chasing Japanese Woman




  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Cold Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Alliance HQ
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Steve Irwin gets up close and personnel
    And we know what happened to Steve....

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:07 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,308
    Quote Originally Posted by tj916
    Wouldn't be surprised if the Guy doesn't lose his leg at least.
    If they have really good antibiotics on-site he might be lucky. That being said the lizard bit him and is now just waiting!

    In 2009, Fry discovered the true culprit behind the dragon’s lethal bite, by putting one of them in a medical scanner. The dragon has venom glands, which are loaded with toxins that lower blood pressure, cause massive bleeding, prevent clotting and induce shock. Rather than using bacteria as venom, the dragons use, well, venom as venom.
    The whole subject seems to be controversial?
    Last edited by VocalNeal; 05-05-2017 at 11:21 AM.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    GracelessFawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    12-09-2019 @ 11:20 PM
    Location
    Somewhere.... out here.
    Posts
    2,561
    That's a nasty bite.

    In PI, we have a venomous snake usually found in swampy mangrove areas. Its mouth/saliva contains bacteria that will rot human flesh. Most who've been bitten by this type of snake suffer for months and some even get amputations. Nasty nasty snake.

  10. #10
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    24,325
    Quote Originally Posted by GracelessFawn View Post
    That's a nasty bite.

    In PI, we have a venomous snake usually found in swampy mangrove areas. Its mouth/saliva contains bacteria that will rot human flesh. Most who've been bitten by this type of snake suffer for months and some even get amputations. Nasty nasty snake.
    I've seen the fooker.


  11. #11
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Posts
    61,337
    Quote Originally Posted by tj916 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    He was lucky that it wasn't a really dangerous killer like a lion or Tiger.
    It was only a lizard, Aussies eat em for breakfast .
    Not sure about that with this lizard.

    Their mouths contain some really nasty and deadly bacteria. They don't kill their prey outright, but simply bite them and wait a few days for the bacteria to do its work.

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Guy doesn't lose his leg at least.

    Nature, a wonderful thing.
    No they don't, as Vocalneal says, they're venomous. The venom lowers blood pressure, accelerates bleeding and puts the prey into shock. But you're right, it doesn't happen quickly and they just wait for the prey to become defenceless.

  12. #12
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:27 PM
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tj916 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    He was lucky that it wasn't a really dangerous killer like a lion or Tiger.
    It was only a lizard, Aussies eat em for breakfast .
    Not sure about that with this lizard.

    Their mouths contain some really nasty and deadly bacteria. They don't kill their prey outright, but simply bite them and wait a few days for the bacteria to do its work.

    Wouldn't be surprised if the Guy doesn't lose his leg at least.

    Nature, a wonderful thing.
    No they don't, as Vocalneal says, they're venomous. The venom lowers blood pressure, accelerates bleeding and puts the prey into shock. But you're right, it doesn't happen quickly and they just wait for the prey to become defenceless.
    Yes you are right. Only learnt about it from the best teacher in the world aka David Attenborough .

    It must have been filmed before 2009.

    Regards.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    redhaze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Just south of Uranus
    Posts
    3,167
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda
    No they don't, as Vocalneal says, they're venomous. The venom lowers blood pressure, accelerates bleeding and puts the prey into shock. But you're right, it doesn't happen quickly and they just wait for the prey to become defenceless.
    I saw it on some nature channel where one of the reptiles snuck up from behind to bite some huge Bison I think it was. The reptile who took the initial bite ran away quickly, and then a pack cosisting of him and his friends just followed the beast around for fucking days as the animal slowly went crazy from poisoning.

    The Bison would try to chase them off and they would just run until it got tired and then start following it again. When the beast was deemed weak enough (but still very much on its feet), the pack of them swarmed in and began biting chunks of it off one at a time until it fell. They then proceeded to eat it alive.

    Brutal...
    Last edited by redhaze; 05-05-2017 at 06:46 PM.

  14. #14
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Posts
    61,337

  15. #15
    Molecular Mixup
    blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    09-06-2019 @ 01:29 AM
    Location
    54įN
    Posts
    11,353
    According to this scientific paper they inject a venom but also have dirty bastard mouths
    Badass - Komodo Dragon

    Another fun, horrifying fact about Komodo Dragons is that their bite contains a weird anti-coagulant venom that prevents wounds from healing, and their mouths are laced with 57 acceleratedly-virulent strains of bacteria, including e. coli, staph, and the bacterias that cause urinary tract infections and sepsis. So, basically, if the flesh-ripping doesnít kill you, the disease will

    Most of the time, its teeth are receded back into the gums, making the Komodo Dragon look like a really surprised old man whenever it opens its mouth. Then, when itís about to bite, the teeth shoot out through the gums like a catís fucking claws. After festering inside the gingival tissue all day, building up disease, the teeth break the skin, get covered in blood, and then immediately inject a soccer cleat of horrible disease-ridden saw-like bloody teeth into its potential prey, delivering an array of horrible bacteria that all (for some reason we canít quite figure out) multiply at like ten times the normal growth rate of these diseases. This baffles scientists so much that some labs are studying Komodo Dragon saliva in the hopes that they might be able to reverse-engineer that shit into the cure for cancer or other diseases.





    The more I read about these dragons the more I dislike them,
    they should wipe the fuckers out

  16. #16
    disconnected SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,000
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Pizza
    And we know what happened to Steve....


    Crikey!

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,755
    Quote Originally Posted by blue
    The more I read about these dragons the more I dislike them, they should wipe the fuckers out
    Yeah, them and American Pit-bull's.

  18. #18
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Posts
    61,337
    Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    According to this scientific paper they inject a venom but also have dirty bastard mouths
    Badass - Komodo Dragon

    Another fun, horrifying fact about Komodo Dragons is that their bite contains a weird anti-coagulant venom that prevents wounds from healing, and their mouths are laced with 57 acceleratedly-virulent strains of bacteria, including e. coli, staph, and the bacterias that cause urinary tract infections and sepsis. So, basically, if the flesh-ripping doesnít kill you, the disease will

    Most of the time, its teeth are receded back into the gums, making the Komodo Dragon look like a really surprised old man whenever it opens its mouth. Then, when itís about to bite, the teeth shoot out through the gums like a catís fucking claws. After festering inside the gingival tissue all day, building up disease, the teeth break the skin, get covered in blood, and then immediately inject a soccer cleat of horrible disease-ridden saw-like bloody teeth into its potential prey, delivering an array of horrible bacteria that all (for some reason we canít quite figure out) multiply at like ten times the normal growth rate of these diseases. This baffles scientists so much that some labs are studying Komodo Dragon saliva in the hopes that they might be able to reverse-engineer that shit into the cure for cancer or other diseases.
    Odd that you would cut this off before it said:

    "The Komodo Dragon also naturally injects its venom into the wound".

    Then again, I'd hardly call "badassoftheweek" a "scientific paper".


  19. #19
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,380
    Komodo dragon that bit S?porean gets diarrhoea, food poisoning | New Nation

    komodo-dragon-diarrhoea
    A komodo dragon that bit a Singaporean man on Komodo island in Indonesia is suffering from a severe bout of diarrhoea.
    A veterinarian who attended to the komodo dragon suspects the animal could have gone down with food poisoning.
    The vet, Kwa Nor Koon, said: “The komodo dragon had diarrhoea after just 30 minutes of biting the Singaporean man.”
    “This shows that the komodo dragon is not accustomed to eating junk food. Other than vomiting and diarrhoea, it is in stable condition.”
    “We will continue to monitor its progress and ensure that any residual toxins are washed out from its body.”
    Other local Indonesians said it is uncommon for komodo dragons to fall ill so easily.
    A local, Ma Kan Sai, said: “Over here in our village, it is believed you are what you eat.”
    “So, if you get diarrhoea, it means you ate shit.”

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •