Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Posts
    5,322

    All arriving luggage to be x-rayed at main airports

    Yes, it's true.
    For the first time in 15 years of flying into LOS they x-rayed my bags at Swampy this morning.
    I was in a wheel chair, which is beside the point, but they really did seem to be checking everybody.

    Good or bad, I don't know. I had 3 month supply of drugs (Morphine, Thalidomide etc etc.) in my carry-on which I expected to raise an eyebrow, but no.

    Sailed through.


    "The Customs Department will install luggage x-ray machines in arrival areas at all major airports by the 2019 fiscal year, a senior official said on Thursday.

    All arriving passengers’ luggage will be scanned once the machines are installed and working.

    This will help increase security and crack down on smuggling of drugs and other illegal items, department director-general Kulit Sombatsiri told the World Customs Organisation meeting."

    http://bangkokjack.com/category/news/
    42

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,750
    I thought it was to do with people importing items and not paying import duty on them. There was a thread on here a few days ago about it.

    Edit: Here it is. http://teakdoor.com/thailand-and-asi...f-parcels.html (Customs tightens up inspection of parcels)
    Last edited by Pragmatic; 23-03-2017 at 09:08 PM.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Well I normally use this crew for arrivals:

    https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

    And ill be landing tomorrow. Will update if its any different.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    crackerjack101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:27 PM
    Posts
    5,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    I thought it was to do with people importing items and not paying import duty on them. There was a thread on here a few days ago about it.
    No idea. Today they were x-raying just about everybody.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,750
    From my link

    As part of the tightened inspection, he disclosed that X-ray machines would be installed at luggage conveyor belts to look for brand-name products loaded in passengers’ luggage which will be taxed.

    Customs Department, data analysis centre reported that in the first five months of the 2017 fiscal year, the amount of imports has increased, but import tax collection has dropped about 5 billion baht below target which is a mismatch.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:46 PM
    Posts
    13,019
    Usual spastic Thai paranoia they are missing out on something. Bizarre, really, when they are stealing so much from their people every day by the millions.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat klong toey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    09-09-2019 @ 06:12 PM
    Posts
    6,073
    If they were x raying that amount of passengers must have been big queues and delays.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,837
    For the last three years I've been flying into Hatyai X-raying has been standard. And Hatyai is an old airport... they still have a big painted notice on the wall warning that hippies will be turned away and goes on to describe how to identify a hippy by his clothes and hair.

  9. #9
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Posts
    61,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    For the last three years I've been flying into Hatyai X-raying has been standard. And Hatyai is an old airport... they still have a big painted notice on the wall warning that hippies will be turned away and goes on to describe how to identify a hippy by his clothes and hair.
    In fairness Hat Yai did get bombed so I can understand they might be a bit fussier there.

    When I arrived at Swampy a few months ago, they were "x-raying" every bag, because there was an ASEAN conference in town and I think they were trying to pretend they were like proper, grown up countries.

    Of course the people that were supposed to be checking the screens were on their fucking mobiles, probably tarting up their selfies.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    dirk diggler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:15 PM
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    For the last three years I've been flying into Hatyai X-raying has been standard. And Hatyai is an old airport... they still have a big painted notice on the wall warning that hippies will be turned away and goes on to describe how to identify a hippy by his clothes and hair.
    They only x-ray your bag in HDY if you fly international or if HDY is your first point of immigration due to a connecting flight.

    Will they ever stop renovating that place?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,567
    Just reading the service they provide, whats the point in using the service, you still have to wait for your luggage, if you're a frequent flyer you get fast track anyway with priority baggage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Well I normally use this crew for arrivals:

    https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

    And ill be landing tomorrow. Will update if its any different.

  12. #12
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Posts
    61,243
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Just reading the service they provide, whats the point in using the service, you still have to wait for your luggage, if you're a frequent flyer you get fast track anyway with priority baggage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Well I normally use this crew for arrivals:

    https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

    And ill be landing tomorrow. Will update if its any different.
    That just gets your bags off quicker.

    This is a security check when you go through the green (or red) channel.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    Just reading the service they provide, whats the point in using the service, you still have to wait for your luggage, if you're a frequent flyer you get fast track anyway with priority baggage.
    For anyone that doesnt have 'frequent flyer' or isnt riding business class; when you step off the plane there is a person there holding a placard with your name on it and they escort you through the whole process in the express pass line like you are air crew. And you can book a 'limousine' to your hotel in one go. Makes it quick and easy.

    Which you may need, or not, its impossible to tell. When I came through this time I didnt need it. There was barely anyone in the immigration halls.

    Lifesaver if the airport is going full-retard and there is a billion people trying to get through immigration.

    I didnt have to scan any baggage in Suvarnabhumi when leaving.

    I did have to scan my checked baggage checking into an air asia flight in Don Muang.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,567
    The queues ain't that bad at swampy, never had a problem when I've travelled without priority.

    As you still have to wait for baggage, and when I' fly and get the fast track you still have to wait for your luggage.

    Paying 1,000 plus for a taxi to your hotel is a rip off, just go out outside and go upto departures and you got your cab 400 baht if around central Bkk.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:41 AM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    4,567
    Not always at Swampy, I've waited 30 mins plus for priority.


    baggage
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Just reading the service they provide, whats the point in using the service, you still have to wait for your luggage, if you're a frequent flyer you get fast track anyway with priority baggage.

    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Well I normally use this crew for arrivals:

    https://www.limousine.in.th/fast-track-immigration.html

    And ill be landing tomorrow. Will update if its any different.
    That just gets your bags off quicker.

    This is a security check when you go through the green (or red) channel.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Chico
    The queues ain't that bad at swampy, never had a problem when I've travelled without priority.

    As you still have to wait for baggage, and when I' fly and get the fast track you still have to wait for your luggage.

    Paying 1,000 plus for a taxi to your hotel is a rip off, just go out outside and go upto departures and you got your cab 400 baht if around central Bkk.
    About 250 to lower sukhumvit, but I fly in about 6 times a year and that service has been a lifesaver.

    Plus a lot of the time you can get the agents contact details and they will escort you through immigration in the express pass lane for 500 baht 'off the books'.

    Totally worth it either way. Been several times I've had to stand in line for over an hour and a half battling rude-ass Chinese & Russian que jumping tourists. Never again.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:43 PM
    Posts
    12,373
    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack101 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    I thought it was to do with people importing items and not paying import duty on them. There was a thread on here a few days ago about it.
    No idea. Today they were x-raying just about everybody.
    actually they use to do that about 15 years ago for all farangs in Don Muang, but it was too much work for staff, so eventually it only lasted couples of months and everything was back to normal

    might still have a few threads about it on Thaivisa

  18. #18
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:22 PM
    Posts
    61,243
    I have a sheaf of fast track passes from where I've walked past the desks for the great unwashed and there have been no queues at all.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •