Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78
  1. #1
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,866

    School thinks my Buddhist child is a Nazi

    My 10 year old son came home from school today. We're in England. In today's class they were asked to draw a "what I did this weekend" picture. What we did this weekend was go to a Buddhist temple in London. He drew a picture of this. On either side of the Buddha statue in his picture he also drew the Swastikas the temple had on panels beside the statue. The headmistress was informed and panic ensued. He was given detention, asked "was everything alright at home?" and made to write an essay about why the Swastika was evil.

    My reaction? I have yet to decide if I will just go ballistic at the idiot teacher who did this or make an enormous fuss and take it all the way to the local education authority. Actually I have decided, all the way and enormous fuss it is. Morons!
    don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk

  2. #2
    Maker of tiny warriors
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,162
    The system like you to follow the proceedure, head teacher, govenors, LEA. I think once you've educated the Head about her and the teachers ignorance an apology will forthcoming, if shes so arrogant that she can't accept their mistake put it to the govenors, I think it unlikely it'll get to the LEA.
    It wasn't me!

  3. #3
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    The system like you to follow the proceedure, head teacher, govenors, LEA. I think once you've educated the Head about her and the teachers ignorance an apology will forthcoming, if shes so arrogant that she can't accept their mistake put it to the govenors, I think it unlikely it'll get to the LEA.
    Right now I'm thinking I'll bring a couple of monks along to have a chat with the staff.

  4. #4
    Maker of tiny warriors
    Stinky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Next door to digit
    Posts
    11,162
    That should do the trick, a couple of Hindus will do if you can't find Buddhists

  5. #5
    Member
    Lantern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:02 AM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    906
    Stupid, ignorant teacher. Go show her the error of her ways. Hope the incident didn't scar your boy.

  6. #6
    Suspended from News & Speakers Corner
    Chico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Last Online
    16-11-2017 @ 08:10 PM
    Location
    I'm Dead
    Posts
    2,715
    Bob, as they say, the son is taught his father's ways.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,635
    My reaction? I have yet to decide if I will just go ballistic at the idiot teacher who did this or make an enormous fuss and take it all the way to the local education authority. Actually I have decided, all the way and enormous fuss it is. Morons!
    quite right too.

    i'm surprised your home hasnt been raided yet by the hate crimes squad, social services, immigration, and of course the community imam with his bearded henchmen and your abused children being whisked away and sold into adoption.

  8. #8
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Stupid, ignorant teacher. Go show her the error of her ways. Hope the incident didn't scar your boy.
    It hasn't yet. He is upset though, as is his mum. This is the first time such a thing has happened, I will make damn sure it is the last!

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    jimbobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Location
    Phon Thong (Roi et)
    Posts
    1,938
    Go get em Bob
    Overpaid baby sitters some of them
    I've got to be honest I feel sorry for the teacher after you have finished with him/ her
    But please answer my ignorance is there a symbol similar to a swastika on a temple

  10. #10
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,866
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    Go get em Bob
    Overpaid baby sitters some of them
    I've got to be honest I feel sorry for the teacher after you have finished with him/ her
    But please answer my ignorance is there a symbol similar to a swastika on a temple
    The swastika is a fundamental Buddhist and Hindu symbol, for a couple of thousand years before the nazis got hold of it. No problem that you don't know that, why should you? But considering the emphasis we now put on mollycoddling religious types teachers should be aware of it. At the very least they should contact parents before deciding that a young child is a member of the Hitler youth.

  11. #11
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,808
    DrBob is a Nazi, I'd never have guessed, always comes across as a sweet caring type of bloke.....

  12. #12
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,123

    Decades of lefty influence in teaching.

    I was a school governor for a few years, and it's quite amazing the dribble dross that falls out of headteachers' mouths, all the corporate business-speak.

    Teachers are dummed down since New Labour... they are too scared and jumpy, they won't deviate from syllabus (i.e. be creative); nor will they put up a fight for common sense with regards to "elfy eton", "plitickle cracknus" "denigrating cybersity", and the latest ones about "terrah" and "extremizum"... is it any wonder it's so hard to recruit and retain decent people? They are now throwing 25k tax free at grads with Desmonds in anything to fill the ranks... the turnover is epic.

    http://youtu.be/YR5ApYxkU-U?t=2m11s

    ...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

    Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

    Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.

    As an aside, you can see this symbol has been popular in Yorkshire for millennia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Stone

    Other places too:
    The Indian High Commission (Embassy) in London, for example:


    Swastika symbols seen in unusual places around the world, in pictures - Telegraph
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1F2i0rYMj8

    we are all figments of our own imagination.

  13. #13
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,866
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    ...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

    Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

    Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.
    Good advice, thanks. I admit I was going to go in all guns blazing but what you say makes very good sense.

  14. #14
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,123
    The local primary school teacher recently started trying to "create a situation" with me over me teaching my kids to code in python, because I do push them a bit... because I have higher standards than the UK school system... but kids will say everything in their head when they're upset (about something else maybe), and care bears can leap on things and take them out of context and twist words... you need to play a straight bat, give no info more than the minimum, they'll provoke you and use it against you, if they can, it's part of their "training". You are in control of yourself, until you hand control over to them... which I would never do. Save yourself stress and play the culture card - if your kids are "mixed race" and "learning about their Asian culture"... make it hard for them to twist it against you, and insinuate something that isn't true... getting angry plays into their hands.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,041
    Fuck this nice approach, Bob.

    Burn the place down.

    Ignorant Farang Coonts.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    7,227
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    ...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

    Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

    Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.
    Good advice, thanks. I admit I was going to go in all guns blazing but what you say makes very good sense.
    The captain is right. First step is always firm, reasoned complaint in writing to the supervisor of the employee concerned.
    I would also ask how they intend to make up for the detention and essay;Your son will never get that time back and may even harbour guilt and uncertainty, which he shouldn't. An apology direct from the teacher to him, in front of the class where he was humiliated should suffice, and the teacher spending some time with the class teaching them her new-found knowledge.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    ...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

    Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

    Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.
    Good advice, thanks. I admit I was going to go in all guns blazing but what you say makes very good sense.
    The captain is right. First step is always firm, reasoned complaint in writing to the supervisor of the employee concerned.
    I would also ask how they intend to make up for the detention and essay;Your son will never get that time back and may even harbour guilt and uncertainty, which he shouldn't. An apology direct from the teacher to him, in front of the class where he was humiliated should suffice, and the teacher spending some time with the class teaching them her new-found knowledge.
    Nice intent, but this scene would never come about.
    The establishment's political integrity is a stake.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Lostandfound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:30 PM
    Posts
    2,377
    Throw the ignorant cow at a muslim rape gang and fit it on an I Phone 6S

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,864
    Making a huge fuss about nothing.

    Part of the problem, not the solution

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    7,227
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Nice intent, but this scene would never come about.
    The establishment's political integrity is a stake.
    I think you're far too cynical on this matter.
    I have served on two school boards in NZ and feel strongly that the teacher will be educated by the Head or the board, she did nothing wrong but was just plain ignorant, and a pupil suffered because of it.
    As for the apology, I expect the Head to negotiate that down to a private but sincere apology.

  21. #21
    lob
    lob is offline
    Thailand Expat
    lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lantern View Post
    Stupid, ignorant teacher. Go show her the error of her ways. Hope the incident didn't scar your boy.
    It hasn't yet. He is upset though, as is his mum. This is the first time such a thing has happened, I will make damn sure it is the last!
    there is no cure for ignorance. look in the mirror.

  22. #22
    lob
    lob is offline
    Thailand Expat
    lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    ...anyway, back to your point... the headteacher is terrified of being hauled over the coals for missing some sign of a problem, so the solution comes by writing a polite but firm letter to them, inviting them to a temple for education about Buddhism and svastika, and remind them of their duties to increase cultural awareness in the school, and advise them that you may seek advice on this from the LEA (nice if you can get a name).

    Funny if it was name like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika_Mukherjee

    Don't go too hard... remember you are dealing with people who don't understand, and stupid people are always more dangerous than intelligent people, because they can't be reasoned with.
    Good advice, thanks. I admit I was going to go in all guns blazing but what you say makes very good sense.
    gasp.

  23. #23
    lob
    lob is offline
    Thailand Expat
    lob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Fuck this nice approach, Bob.

    Burn the place down.

    Ignorant Farang Coonts.
    white people in england...... bloody foreigners.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Cold Pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Alliance HQ
    Posts
    4,533
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    My 10 year old son came home from school today. We're in England. In today's class they were asked to draw a "what I did this weekend" picture. What we did this weekend was go to a Buddhist temple in London. He drew a picture of this. On either side of the Buddha statue in his picture he also drew the Swastikas the temple had on panels beside the statue. The headmistress was informed and panic ensued. He was given detention, asked "was everything alright at home?" and made to write an essay about why the Swastika was evil.

    My reaction? I have yet to decide if I will just go ballistic at the idiot teacher who did this or make an enormous fuss and take it all the way to the local education authority. Actually I have decided, all the way and enormous fuss it is. Morons!
    It's sad that people who are teachers are so ignorant and downright stupid.

  25. #25
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:15 PM
    Posts
    45,806
    Didn't go to school in Thailand did he?


Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •