Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    chassamui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bali
    Posts
    11,678

    How do you get on with your Thai/ foreign Mother-In-Law?

    Mine has been dead for over 40 years so our relationship is somewhat subdued. The TGF refers to her half sisters mother as Mama, and she thinks I am the dogs doodahs.
    Can do no wrong in her eyes.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    My Thai mother in law is one of the most delightful people I have had the pleasure to know. She is much better than my wife.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    charleyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    Cha-am.
    Posts
    3,697
    Ma-in-law is in the garden as I type...Fantastic woman!

  4. #4
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,876
    Mine lives in Houston, along with Fredwiggy. We get along, as I see her for a day or two a decade.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    bobo746's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    24-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    14,326
    I don't want to be a cynic,but falang looking after daughter most mil won't derail the gravy train.

    And i get on great with mine.

  6. #6
    splendid and tremendous
    somtamslap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:31 PM
    Location
    Down on the farm
    Posts
    13,622
    She's currently 7,000 miles away.

    It isn't far enough.


    Por, on the hand.

    Legendary motherfucker.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,613
    My Thai mother in law is brilliant. She keeps sending money to us. We never ask for it or need it, but every now and then, boom, into the bank account a load of cash. For a while we started buying land with it, in her name, and then in some cat and mouse game, she changes it to the wife's name again, adding more land as well. I don't know the workings of it all, as I thought the wife had to be there for that type of stuff, but shes knows the tambon head very well so doubtless there is a way to match her will. It is very weird. On getting married, she sneaked up to the wedding venue and paid the bill for it so when we went to settle up, we were told it had already been settled, with a tip as well. Gravy train? don't think so. For us maybe?
    Originally Posted by bsnub "No wonder I drive a tesla"

  8. #8
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    25-07-2017 @ 12:11 PM
    Posts
    463
    ^ One on every topic !

    My MinLaw is great, she does not understand a word of English so I swear like a trooper to her all day and she just grins at me with those betel nut blackened teeth of hers. Wonderful woman, treats me like a King.

  9. #9
    Being chased by sloths DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Posts
    18,781
    A cackling stoic scary looking woman who had aged well before her time

    The mother in law was the same but 25yrs older

    I wiped my arse with photocopies of the divorce papers
    Luckily the copies were done on a fax machine

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,747
    Mine likes to think she doesn't have to ring the doorbell to come in the house. She thinks she's exempt from closing gates behind her. Only spoken to her about 3-4 times in 10 years. I don't support her in any way. She's totally uneducated. Believes in black magic and palm readers. Plug ugly, but regularly buys me beer when she wins on the illegal lottery. Overall, she's okay.

  11. #11
    Utopian Expat Chittychangchang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,981
    I carn't really slag off my MIL because i've never had a proper conversation with her due to language barriers and i've only met her a few times.

    She did give birth to my wife who gave birth to my wonderful children so she carn't be all bad

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Got along with all four MILs....
    Traditional salt-of-the-earth.


    No issues or problems.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Posts
    17,232
    Yesterday was my 25th anniversary and the wife and I were talking about her mom. Matriarch of the family. My wife's dad died the year before I met her. She lived with us a long while and had a happy life. Five years ago at 95 she passed away from a quick illness. Enough said.

    The point being early into the marriage she asked me. "What do you think of lazy people?" I had had a few beers and said. "Those who dont work dont eat" 100% old hard working Chinese lady loved me from that they on.

    I hope at 75 I can do what she was doing at 90.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    11-07-2019 @ 03:42 PM
    Posts
    1,999
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    My Thai mother in law is brilliant. She keeps sending money to us. We never ask for it or need it, but every now and then, boom, into the bank account a load of cash. For a while we started buying land with it, in her name, and then in some cat and mouse game, she changes it to the wife's name again, adding more land as well. I don't know the workings of it all, as I thought the wife had to be there for that type of stuff, but shes knows the tambon head very well so doubtless there is a way to match her will. It is very weird. On getting married, she sneaked up to the wedding venue and paid the bill for it so when we went to settle up, we were told it had already been settled, with a tip as well. Gravy train? don't think so. For us maybe?
    "Dear Mr Fantasy, play us a tune..."
    If you say it's true Pseu , I'll take it to the bank.

    I've never been married in Thai but ALL the Thai gf's mothers have been outstanding cooks , nit-noy imbibers, non-lottery addicts but unfortunately always trying to cover up for their sons and / or husbands lack of business acumen, losing money ventures, inebtness ,alcoholism and/or a mix of the aforementioned.

    I did spend time with a young lady that lost both of her parents before she turned 20. Every bhat went into her pocket.

  15. #15
    or TizYou?
    TizMe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Location
    Bonifacio Global City, Taguig
    Posts
    5,939
    Mine doesn't even know that I exist.
    She thinks that her daughter lives with a female friend.

    So in a nutshell, she's perfect.

  16. #16
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,864
    My missus mom and dad both passed away before I came along, if you dirty old bastards werent older than your mothers in law, youd probably be in the same boat as me and sinsod free too

  17. #17
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Last Online
    19-05-2016 @ 09:04 PM
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Got along with all four MILs....
    Traditional salt-of-the-earth.


    No issues or problems.
    4 marriages?

  18. #18
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,864
    Yup

    They dont cill him Fuk off Jeff for no reason

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    charleyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 01:08 PM
    Location
    Cha-am.
    Posts
    3,697
    ^ Can't green you!


    I'm, sinsod free!

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:04 AM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,613
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeCoffee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    My Thai mother in law is brilliant. She keeps sending money to us. We never ask for it or need it, but every now and then, boom, into the bank account a load of cash. For a while we started buying land with it, in her name, and then in some cat and mouse game, she changes it to the wife's name again, adding more land as well. I don't know the workings of it all, as I thought the wife had to be there for that type of stuff, but shes knows the tambon head very well so doubtless there is a way to match her will. It is very weird. On getting married, she sneaked up to the wedding venue and paid the bill for it so when we went to settle up, we were told it had already been settled, with a tip as well. Gravy train? don't think so. For us maybe?
    "Dear Mr Fantasy, play us a tune..."
    If you say it's true Pseu , I'll take it to the bank.

    I've never been married in Thai
    You should have just left it there sunshine, and let out all the bullshit you cut and pasted from stickman, which seems to be the extent of your knowledge.

    I bought her a 1 baht gold pendant for a necklace before we left Thailand. She still has it, but pushed 15k into the wife's bank account whilst she was on the plane.

    Maybe she has heard of the exceptionally low opinion that farangs such as you have of Thai mothers, and is trying to set a better image?


  21. #21
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    youd probably be in the same boat as me and sinsod free too
    10 years down the line and my MiL still goes on about me not paying Sin Sod. She's had more outta me in 10 years than if I'd paid it.

  22. #22
    TD Fat Club VP Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    28,864
    She don't mind losing face reminding you

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger
    youd probably be in the same boat as me and sinsod free too
    10 years down the line and my MiL still goes on about me not paying Sin Sod. She's had more outta me in 10 years than if I'd paid it.
    Indeed.....
    Comes around in one form or another.

    Sin Sod + support + "loans" + whatever
    No Sid Sod + support + loans + whatever


    ....same same
    Heh.


  24. #24
    Member Jackanapes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Last Online
    07-05-2017 @ 10:01 PM
    Posts
    199
    Don't speak Thai nor she English. Presumably why we get on as well as we do!

  25. #25
    Being chased by sloths DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Posts
    18,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    She don't mind losing face reminding you
    If that was me, my sister would have punched half her face off. She hates most Thai habits and traits, unlike me who loves taking the piss out of them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •