Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 213
  1. #1
    Being chased by sloths DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Posts
    18,781

    My abstinence from the booze...my progress as of Sat 21st July

    Right. I've had enough.

    Been boozing far too long now and it's crept into all aspects of my life.

    Everything I do revolves around whether I can have a few drinks each evening. You may say, how do you know you have a problem?

    Well here's the evidence:

    I no longer train at the gym in the mornings cos I can't get up anymore and they told me I stank of booze, so I got too embarressed to go.

    I had a seizure at work last month while doing a talk, I had been off my face the night before. I was unconcious 5 mins.

    If I try and abstain I am irritable, tense and angry. Last time I tried to stop, I got up again and went out for booze at 2.37am, I had to find some dodgy karaoke bar and pay way too much for some bottles of warm Leo, but I still paid.

    I can't accept morning work because I don't rise from my pit til well past 11am and need two hours to get going.

    My flatmate has seen me drink every single night since I moved in on April 1st. I'm still offering excuses as to why I'm doing it. It's wearing thin I suspect.

    And it's starting to not help me sleep. I'm rolling about in bed two hours before I drop off. And I'm sweating as well as I roll around.

    I have never drank in the mornings, ever. I don't get the shakes. I have only ever drank beer and wine, recently it's been up to around 5-6 big bottles most nights. Which is not acceptable.

    I hide all this from my mates at the boxing gym.

    I hide all this from the guys at football.

    I hide all this from girls I go out with.

    I hide all this from work colleagues.

    I hide the stink of my booze when I get up by running 4km and sweating it out as soon as I get up.

    I'm physically fit enough to do that.

    I think they are classic signs of me being dependant on the booze. As of today I'm getting off it.

    This thread will be my diary.

    Please I need positive comments and help. I imagine some of you will take the piss out of me but some may even identify with my predicament.
    Last edited by DJ Pat; 21-07-2007 at 12:50 PM.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    ^ well go for it mate.

    and it does sound like u have a problem. good luck.

  3. #3
    Member
    Sparky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    09-07-2010 @ 08:14 AM
    Posts
    627
    5-6 Big bottles an evening is Fuck all you sound like a teenage pop star telling the press shes going into Rehab because shes got a problem with drink ! " I am almost up to four Bicardi Breezers a day " .

    The fact that you dont drink untill the evening shows your drinking is under control .

    Stop thinking like a Tart . What do you want to die of Boredom .

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    04-02-2012 @ 01:56 PM
    Posts
    109
    Might not be the booze.You would say that from symptoms you describe could be a deperessed state.But the main one is you collapsed while having a seizure.Did you go for an MRI.Start having seizues,something is going on in the brain.

  5. #5
    Being chased by sloths DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    06-10-2018 @ 05:27 PM
    Posts
    18,781
    That amount of alcohol is a lot for me, so I'm not a tart like you say. I have a problem and want to sort it out.

    And I am a bit depressed too, and the drink is not helping me one bit.

    After a few beers the thoughts just go round and round my head. Hence the insomnia.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    somewhere in LOS
    Posts
    54
    I have periods where I don't drink or smoke. When I feel that my work outs are starting to suffer I just go out and drink less.

    Other people? Fuck 'em, whatever one does is his own business.

    Maybe ask yourself the question, why do you hide it from others? Fear of not being accepted?

    Do whatever makes you feel good.
    looking for paradise

  7. #7
    Member walrus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Posts
    299
    Good for you Pat time to knock it on the head for a while.

    That means the rest of us are going to have to take up the slack whilst you are abstaining - averages and all that.

    Im quite happy to sink a couple more tonight and Im sure the lads wont mind doing their bit with a little extra nightly indulging to keep the numbers balanced.

    Thats what mates are for isnt it ?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    somewhere in LOS
    Posts
    54
    I've had about 2 seizures in 18 years of drinking and using dope. Just a little short cut in the brain due to substances used, nothing to really worry about unless it happens frequently.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Ratsima
    Posts
    3,717
    The best of luck to you. I wish you every bit of the success you want.

    I know I couldn't do it so I've never ever had the courage to try.

  10. #10
    ding ding ding
    Spin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,608
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Pat
    identify with my predicament.
    Come on Pat sort yourself out

    Otherwise you will end up old, wrinkly, fat and miserable...and guess what type of girl will be the only ones available to you?

    AAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH THE SHOCK!!! THE HORROR!!!!!

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    somewhere in LOS
    Posts
    54
    Wrinkly fat and miserable? Not if you work out, and it doesn't sound like he drinks from dusk till dawn.

  12. #12
    Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb
    Sir Burr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2009 @ 09:54 AM
    Location
    Phuket.
    Posts
    4,668
    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    I have periods
    I suspected as much....

  13. #13
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    5-6 Big bottles an evening is Fuck all you sound like a teenage pop star telling the press shes going into Rehab because shes got a problem with drink !
    It's you who sounds like some irate teenager boosting about how much they can take.
    If you got nothing positive to say, shove off and post in other threads.
    Don't be put off by a bunch of jerks from the peanut gallery, Pat.

    Yeah, it does sound like a problem, and it rarely is just the booze, sounds like a depression to me as well.

    Don't make the mistake to substitute with other substances, stay with whatever uncomfortableness comes up, you may well feel shite for a while until you regain your balance and feel the positive effects of staying sober. Changes in diet and taking up daily gym practises again may help rebalancing.

    Good luck with it.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    somewhere in LOS
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Burr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    I have periods
    I suspected as much....
    They're not monthly though.

  15. #15
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Pat, Depression is a result of booze too, why do you think that so many alkies off themselves, alcohol is a depressant, alcohol with all the water removed is Ether.
    Tough to get off by yourself, especially with the feed back that you seem to be getting here from those that will see that they have a problem if you quit and they continue, you never get any positive help from your drinking mates, I know.
    I drank for many years and at 48 I quit, and my life is much better today than it was 25 years ago when I quit.
    PM me if you wish, I do know how it is done and what you should or can do if it gets tough and you really want a drink again.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    mad_dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    10-05-2017 @ 11:52 AM
    Posts
    5,099
    How much do you drink in one go? What time do you start drinking? Do you go on drinking binges of two days or more?

  17. #17
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    Good luck to you, Pat! It won't be easy, but don't give up. When you get the jitters and can't sleep, find something natural to help, like chamomille tea and St. John's Wort tablets. For sure pm Blackgang for more support. Let us know how you get on, and don't beat yourself up for anything. It's wonderful that you can identify your problem and want to make a change for the better.

  18. #18
    bkkmadness
    Guest
    Yep good luck Pat, even the madness is going to take a month off, starting Monday!

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    somewhere in LOS
    Posts
    54
    Either you are all hardcore alcoholics or a bunch of pussies. If you read his OP, I don't remember him mentioning drinking 24/7 nor being able to function.

    But Ok, if everybody is in this : help me I drink too much mood", well get some professional help then. Even though as from what I read it doesn't seem that you need that.

    Anyway, goodluck in whatever you do.

  20. #20
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    better catch the problem early, because if you start drinking from noon to late night, it will be too late to save yourself or it will take a lot of effort and energy to give it up.

    We tend to forget that we drink toxic substances and that our body will fight it as much as possible. It's poison, nothing else, and this is why you feel like shit the next day, like a bad food intoxication.

    As you get older, the recovery process is even more painful. This is why I don't mind getting wasted once a while, but not all the time now. How did I manage to do it before almost every night is beyond me.

  21. #21
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil
    Either you are all hardcore alcoholics or a bunch of pussies.
    What an ignorant comment!
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact."

  22. #22
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    ^ boy that was the wisest post you have made in a long time..

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    05-01-2014 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    somewhere in LOS
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil
    Either you are all hardcore alcoholics or a bunch of pussies.
    What an ignorant comment!
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us worthy evidence of the fact."
    What? IS it because one drinks that he has a problem??? Not all drinkers are problem drinkers! If you drink because you have problems, you better lay off and deal with the problem itself.

    Seems like some just have to relax and have a drink for fun and good times and NOT coz you feel it's time to drink.

    I've been through some rehab myself when I was in my twenties and know that it's all up to yourself, no fucking talks from friends. No, just you that has to know, do you want to stop or not!
    Last edited by reddevil; 21-07-2007 at 10:39 PM.

  24. #24
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by reddevil
    What? IS it because one drinks that he has a problem???
    No, this is DJ Pat's thread, read the OP.

  25. #25
    bkkmadness
    Guest
    I've been through some rehab myself when I was in my twenties and know that it's all up to yourself, no fucking talks from friends. No, just you that has to know, do you want to stop or not!
    Yeah man, bit of tough love!

    Stroller do you know that your cheetah avatar looks like the back and hips of a woman?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •