Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891011121454 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 1475
  1. #76
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    ^

    We follow you guy's.

    It's only going one way, that's down for us Australians.
    I know....Its a slippery slope when the market corrects.

    The next big question......when do I hop back in.....

    USD to Baht conversion was steady at 35.55 at opening bell. Be interesting to see what it does at closing.

  2. #77
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    Stock selloff accelerates as Dow dives another 300-plus points.......

    Lets see what happens after lunch.

  3. #78
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    Dow industrials’ losses build, now down 460 points.

    Here we go.....Let the sell off correction take hold.

    I thought after lunch it would level off a bit. Not to be the case.

    Lots of people trying to stop the bleeding.

    Be interesting to see how it impacts the conversion number for USD to Thai Baht.

    You Ready to transfer RC?

  4. #79
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,085
    Any time, you tell me when.

  5. #80
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    Any time, you tell me when.
    Dow closes down 531 today. YEEEHAWWW!!!! Ride'em Cowboy..... Biggest fall since the financial crisis in 07/08. The artificial China market had a great deal to do with it. But ours was artificial as well.

    I will keep you posted RC. I will watch over the weekend and see what after hour trading and market positions are. I use a couple real time tickers I pay for each month. This has been really odd as the Thai baht typically strengthens as our dollar weakens or our market slumps. Its not doing that so there must be secondary and tertiary events taking place to keep the baht trending weaker.

    More research.........

  6. #81
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers
    Any time, you tell me when.
    Dow closes down 531 today. YEEEHAWWW!!!! Ride'em Cowboy..... Biggest fall since the financial crisis in 07/08. The artificial China market had a great deal to do with it. But ours was artificial as well.

    I will keep you posted RC. I will watch over the weekend and see what after hour trading and market positions are. I use a couple real time tickers I pay for each month. This has been really odd as the Thai baht typically strengthens as our dollar weakens or our market slumps. Its not doing that so there must be secondary and tertiary events taking place to keep the baht trending weaker.

    More research.........
    The way I and many more farangs in my area see it ,this Country Thailand is in a real mess ,as to when the proverbial shit is going to hit the fan is any ones guess but all here think its a case of when and not if .

  7. #82
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,085
    ^
    Really? How is now different from the last 20 years with regard to being on the edge according to us foreigners?

  8. #83
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    ^
    Really? How is now different from the last 20 years with regard to being on the edge according to us foreigners?
    Having lived here full time since Nov 03 I was not aware that the doom and gloom merchants had been viewing Thailand's Economy with pessimism like they are now , I tend to listen to people I take for granted know far more than I do ,among those are two retired Bank managers one British and the ex head of a large German Bank , maybe they and a few more ex professional people have got it all wrong eh , all I do is listen what they have to say and pass it on .

  9. #84
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Rick , Having listened to some quite wealthy people over the last week or two who said the economy in Thailand is "on the slide" as they put it, and reading this article this morning it would appear that their opinions are not just bar talk , Plus I read this morning that " The General" is ill at ease with Thailand's economy too , this is an interesting article which maybe rubbish, how do I know I ain't an economist Worries about a full-blown crash could be a bit premature - BBC News

  10. #85
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,085
    Thanks Piwanoi. Everthing is cyclical and I am not so sure about the Thai doom. A downswing yes, but take a look at China and the Thai economy
    should follow suit.

  11. #86
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Thanks Piwanoi. Everthing is cyclical and I am not so sure about the Thai doom. A downswing yes, but take a look at China and the Thai economy
    should follow suit.
    Wanna good laugh Rick ? read posts 25 and 26 , the baht was 55 to the American dollar , ahh yes the good old days

  12. #87
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    11-01-2018 @ 07:34 AM
    Posts
    25,746
    AUD @ Superich . 25.95 and holding steady.

  13. #88
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,085
    Ahhhhh, Thai politics. What a soap opera.

  14. #89
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Ahhhhh, Thai politics. What a soap opera.
    Have ever watched the soaps on TV? they always finish up in tears ,and thats the guys

  15. #90
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    the baht was 55 to the American dollar
    Man....That would be a nice little money ride.

    I looked back in my history in 2005 when the military tanks rolled into Rangsit where I was working the baht was 42 to the USD.

  16. #91
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    the baht was 55 to the American dollar
    Man....That would be a nice little money ride.

    I looked back in my history in 2005 when the military tanks rolled into Rangsit where I was working the baht was 42 to the USD.
    The British pound is currently a little over 55 Baht , in 97 it was 90 baht and spiked for a day or so at 97 !!! , the hotels refused to take baht as payment and wanted foreign currency not their own, saying Baht no good ,Baht no good , I bet member Thaimeme remembers it all.

  17. #92
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Rick, want an even bigger laugh ? please read posts 28 and 29

  18. #93
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JPPR2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by piwanoi
    the baht was 55 to the American dollar
    Man....That would be a nice little money ride.

    I looked back in my history in 2005 when the military tanks rolled into Rangsit where I was working the baht was 42 to the USD.
    The British pound is currently a little over 55 Baht , in 97 it was 90 baht and spiked for a day or so at 97 !!! , the hotels refused to take baht as payment and wanted foreign currency not their own, saying Baht no good ,Baht no good , I bet member Thaimeme remembers it all.
    Explains why everybody was moving here. It all looked so good.

  19. #94
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    4,198
    I think the Thai economy is flat. There has not been much growth since the take over. Maybe a Thailand recession?

    Like RC says, its all cyclical. The key is how to play it to come out ahead.

  20. #95
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    No worry's , it will all be sorted out with a huge dose of the Thai magic elixir Cabinet reshuffle overhauls economic ministers | Bangkok Post: news its a bit like shuffling a pack of cards hoping that the next hand you get is a winning one

  21. #96
    Thailand Expat
    charleyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Location
    Cha-am.
    Posts
    3,654
    A few of my mates arrived in '97, initially getting about 38 baht to the pound.
    A week later they couldn't believe their luck, went into Robinsons and cleared the Lacoste shop of everything.

    I arrived about a week later and was still getting about 83 baht

  22. #97
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    6,823

  23. #98
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,085
    Today 35.6 baht/1USD. Only 0.4 to go.

  24. #99
    Thailand Expat
    ShrewedPunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    4,110
    Should I wait a couple of days to exchange the bulk of my.money?/I have 800 spending money for 2 weeks. Hopefully won't use it all .

    I book hotels using my credit card on agoda

  25. #100
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by ShrewedPunter View Post
    Should I wait a couple of days to exchange the bulk of my.money?/I have 800 spending money for 2 weeks. Hopefully won't use it all .

    I book hotels using my credit card on agoda
    Only 2 weeks and only 800 quid ? If I was you I would cash in tomorrow cos either way you ain't going to lose or win a fortune with only 800 sovs are you?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •