Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 116
  1. #1
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754

    Thai Food V Potatoes

    When you are hungry, and I don't mean peckish I mean proper hungry, can you honestly say that Thai food does it for you?

    This has always been my problem here, when I am really hungry I need potato based fuel, or at the very least good quality bread (not that cheap spongy sweet shite) - good quality pasta (not that lame Asian spaghetti bolognese effort) or a decent serving of fluffy rice (not a small round pile of greasy fried rice).

    When I fancy an omlette I want an omlette, not a greasy, bubbly, dark yellow deep fried egg pancake and when I want a fried breakfast and I'm not in a tourist area with 300 baht to spare, then I want a fried breakfast that fills the plate to the extent that only the rim is visable, not some minature frankfurters with the ends splayed open with a half cooked flemmy fried egg, a solitary lettuce leaf, one streak of pathetic plasticy bacon and one square of warm bread which I am told is toast.

    In the Phillipines I was expecting even worse, but to be honest I had basic, filling food and not once did I have the shits or witness undigested bits of spring onion leaf in the toilet bowl after flushing.

    So if without room service or a cooker or a Tesco Lotus at hand and away from a tourist area, what to do when the rumbles kick in?

    I find a couple of large bottles of Singha does the trick.
    "I'm an outsider by choice, but not truly. It's the unpleasantness of the system that keeps me out. I'd rather be in, in a good system. That's where my discontent comes from: being forced to choose to stay outside.
    My advice: Just keep movin' straight ahead. Every now and then you find yourself in a different place."

    George Carlin

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Go and get steak and chips at a hotel restaurant. Or I can recommend the lamb chops at Blake 7's place.

    Don't eat that Thai muck. Boiled bamboo shit in piss sauce.

  3. #3
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,378
    TGS stop your goddamn crying.

    thats all i have to say

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Don't let them bully you Scampy. just eat potatoes.

    You can get delicious sweet potatoes in Thai markets. Just boil them up.

  5. #5
    Roc
    Roc is offline
    Member
    Roc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Last Online
    16-06-2016 @ 06:39 PM
    Location
    Chang House,Ayutthaya for live music,indian curries,chicken wings and beer!
    Posts
    974
    I can't eat potatoes,I'm on the Atkin's Diet!!!

  6. #6
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    Blake 7 has yet to cook for me.

    I remember on TV I was flamed whenever I slagged off Thai food, usually resulting in knee jerk vitirol to the effect of "Why don't you go back home if you hate Thailand so much etc.. etc.." now, you may yourself say that I am being anti Thai, to which I may say fuck you, but the point is that I am not Thai and I like to eat potatoes.

  7. #7
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp View Post
    but the point is that I am not Thai and I like to eat potatoes.
    so find somewhere to buy them then and stop pushing my blood pressure up with your whining.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    The Ghost Of The Moog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    26-08-2017 @ 09:53 PM
    Posts
    5,626
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp View Post
    Blake 7 has yet to cook for me.

    I remember on TV I was flamed whenever I slagged off Thai food, usually resulting in knee jerk vitirol to the effect of "Why don't you go back home if you hate Thailand so much etc.. etc.." now, you may yourself say that I am being anti Thai, to which I may say fuck you, but the point is that I am not Thai and I like to eat potatoes.
    I dont think he cooks them. Someone brings them in on a trolley and they are under a big silver cover which they remove with a flourish. Its a bit like dining at Claridges.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp View Post
    now, you may yourself say that I am being anti Thai, to which I may say fuck you, but the point is that I am not Thai and I like to eat potatoes.
    I may say "stop whingeing and go out and get some potatoes"

    as nobody cares if you like Thai food or not

    if I am starving (and that is not allowed to happen often in Thailand) then I will have a big Kao Soy or a southern style curry and rice

    potatoes are nice, but only if you have Irish genes do they make you desperate
    I have reported your post

  10. #10
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp View Post
    but the point is that I am not Thai and I like to eat potatoes.
    so find somewhere to buy them then and stop pushing my blood pressure up with your whining.
    How about you Slimboy?

    Do you enjoy Thai food? ...I've yet to get the opinion of some half baked, two faced bitter old dullard who follows me around the forum nitpicking and whinging when he should be at a nice Indian restaurant in Robinson Road with a wise expat friend, re-planning his future.

  11. #11
    RIP
    klongmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nonthaburi
    Posts
    4,382
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp
    This has always been my problem here, when I am really hungry I need potato based fuel, or at the very least good quality bread
    this is due to staple diet and explains why, about 20 minutes after you've filled up on some rice dish, you're hungry again. European staple diet is potatoes...asian staple diet is rice...feed a thai potatoes and after 20 mins they'll be hungry...

    brazilian staple is beans...african staple is corn...perfectly logical reaction scamp and nothing in it about criticizing Thailand-or loving it for that matter...

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat gusG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:06 PM
    Location
    Koh Samui
    Posts
    1,210
    Try eating Matsaman Curry, the best of both worlds,a southern Thai curry that's loaded with potatoes and served with fluffy rice as well, you can't go wrong.

  13. #13
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Strange Scampy, i thought you were staying at the Banyan Tree

    Vertigo is unlike any other bar-cum-restaurant in the world: some 61 floors above the streets of Bangkok, this open-air rooftop lounge grants views that simply take your breath away. Stylish, sophisticated and reaching for the clouds, there is no better place for a romantic tête-à-tête, glamorous cocktail party or fashion launch than this. Indulge in barbecued seafood, champagne and a wide selection of cocktails, wines-by-the-glass and non-alcoholic drinks. Innovative a-la-minute BBQ items include 'Red Mullet en Papillote with Thyme', 'Grilled Scallops in a Shell with Toasted Hazelnut and Coriander Butter' and 'Grilled Oysters with Parmesan Cheese'. Irresistible.
    Try popping up to one of their restaurants to eat.

  14. #14
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster
    this is due to staple diet and explains why, about 20 minutes after you've filled up on some rice dish, you're hungry again. European staple diet is potatoes...asian staple diet is rice...feed a thai potatoes and after 20 mins they'll be hungry...
    I need my rice nowadays. Any idea how long it takes to change a staple diet? I would say a year or so.

  15. #15
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Strange Scampy, i thought you were staying at the Banyan Tree

    Vertigo is unlike any other bar-cum-restaurant in the world: some 61 floors above the streets of Bangkok, this open-air rooftop lounge grants views that simply take your breath away. Stylish, sophisticated and reaching for the clouds, there is no better place for a romantic tête-à-tête, glamorous cocktail party or fashion launch than this. Indulge in barbecued seafood, champagne and a wide selection of cocktails, wines-by-the-glass and non-alcoholic drinks. Innovative a-la-minute BBQ items include 'Red Mullet en Papillote with Thyme', 'Grilled Scallops in a Shell with Toasted Hazelnut and Coriander Butter' and 'Grilled Oysters with Parmesan Cheese'. Irresistible.
    Try popping up to one of their restaurants to eat.
    Checked out today, no more tasty food for me.

  16. #16
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    ^Why not, you're still in Bangkok aren't you? Plenty of nice restaurants, isn't there?

  17. #17
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster
    this is due to staple diet and explains why, about 20 minutes after you've filled up on some rice dish, you're hungry again. European staple diet is potatoes...asian staple diet is rice...feed a thai potatoes and after 20 mins they'll be hungry...
    I need my rice nowadays. Any idea how long it takes to change a staple diet? I would say a year or so.
    Yup, I like rice now. Took about 6 months to get to the point of finding it really tasty and being able to taste the subtle differences between types. Spuds and too much bread give me indigestion these days. If I'm in the mood for a snack a big bowl of fiery Kao Soi and a giant saucer of pickles and shallots is what I crave.
    Last edited by DrB0b; 08-06-2007 at 06:39 PM.

  18. #18
    たのむよ。
    The Gentleman Scamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    03-01-2017 @ 04:09 PM
    Location
    もうがまんできない!
    Posts
    9,754
    ^^ Yeah yeah whatever Nicholas - I want to know what YOU eat! Not just you but everyone, stop turning everything around at me for fucks sake, I know I'm the infamous Gentleman Scamp and all that but post with a little more meat and potatoes and a little less tabasco and this will become a better forum all round.

  19. #19
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:53 PM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,378
    Quote Originally Posted by The Gentleman Scamp View Post

    How about you Slimboy?

    Do you enjoy Thai food? ...I've yet to get the opinion of some half baked, two faced bitter old dullard who follows me around the forum nitpicking and whinging when he should be at a nice Indian restaurant in Robinson Road with a wise expat friend, re-planning his future.
    Thai food -i like it well enough, but then I like all types of food really. I will be going out for a walk to get a Zinger burger from KFC in a short while.

    two faced? well i didnt notice that myself. maybe i have mood swings.

    bitter - possibly but thats just a phase.

    old - I am 34

    dullard - sometimes i suppose. it depends on what you are comparing to. I dont have any tattoos. I go out 2 or 3 times a week but tonight I am staying in to do my laundry because I wont have any clean underwear for tomorrow otherwise. Rock and Roll!

    nice Indian restaurant at Robinson road - please give me the address - I work nearby, but quite frankly I cant afford nice restaurants at the moment.

    expat friend - I dont really have any - wise or not. My friends here are all Singaporeans or Malaysian.

    I think I would get on well with you in real life but just at the moment your threads wind me up, which is probably your intention anyway.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    What does Thai Food V Potatoes mean? Is it the name of a movie? I prefer it when people using numbers rather than roman numerals Thai Food 5 Potatoes sounds a lot better.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by slimboyfat View Post
    TGS stop your goddamn crying.

    thats all i have to say
    He's been whinging about Thai food for >3 years now than I've 'known' him posting on these forums. tutsiwarrior (who doesn't post on TD) is the same - lives in Thailand and hates the food. Mai kao jai...

  22. #22
    RIP
    klongmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nonthaburi
    Posts
    4,382
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA
    I need my rice nowadays. Any idea how long it takes to change a staple diet? I would say a year or so.
    more or less...seems we start off by trying everything and quickly tire of the monotony of rice every day...then we start to taste the subtlety as Bobby mentioned-much like learning to drink wine I guess...now I find the meat and potatoes meals are too big for my stomach - but my stomach ain't gettin any smaller!-I still like a bit of both and my bundle of nubility has learnt to cook steak and sausages and pasta in addition to her native cuisine so I have a taste of everything in a given week...

  23. #23
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    well hell, I have been here steady for 7 years and a lot of time in SEA for the last 40, I kinda like some Chinese, Filipino, Korean, Japanese and Viet food but very little Thai, I will eat it sometimes if I have to but never by choice. I have eaten rice where ever I am for years tho, but still like spuds.
    I have a freezer full of American Mashed potatoes already prepared and frozen, some nice steak cut fries, Frozen mix vegs and some small sweet peas from NZ, and a bunch of Angus beef rib eye steaks and some NZ striploin steak, a couple of frozen turkeys, some Norwegian salmon and some Icelandic halibut fillets, all ready to cook.
    Plus the Thai white potatoes are very good potatoes if a poor quality, most should be turned into cow feed.

    Anyone that will turn down a charbroiled rib eye with mashed potatoes and sawmill gravy, buttered green peas and hot bread is missing something from upstairs.

    Just because I live in Thailand and am married to a Thai does not mean that I have to like or eat the shit that they call food.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:24 AM
    Posts
    9,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    He's been whinging about Thai food for >3 years now than I've 'known' him posting on these forums. tutsiwarrior (who doesn't post on TD) is the same - lives in Thailand and hates the food. Mai kao jai...
    Same your mate georgie porgie...Each to their own I suppose.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    Spuds and too much bread give me indigestion these days.
    Me too. I had a few cheese rolls whilst in a drunken stupor last night and I have had the feeling that it's trying to crawl back out all day.

    It's just about ok now and I will be eating Thai muck in an hour or so.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •