Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 143
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,615

    Tortured To Death During Botched USA Execution

    The governor of Oklahoma has called for an independent review how the state conducts executions after a botched procedure that was expected to intensify the debate over how the United States handles lethal injections.

    The White House said on Wednesday that the execution of Clayton Lockett, who had an apparent heart attack 43 minutes after his execution began, fell short of the humane standards required. The manner of his death drew censure from human rights groups.

    "Last night's botched execution was nothing less than state-sanctioned torture," Antonio Ginatta, U.S. advocacy director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.

    Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin said Lockett had his day in court and the legal process worked.

    "I believe the death penalty is an appropriate response and punishment to those who commit heinous crimes against their fellow men and women," Gov Fallin said. "However, I also believe the state needs to be certain of its protocols and its procedures for executions and that they work."

    Related Articles

    Oklahoma prisoner 'tortured to death' in botched execution 30 Apr 2014 Botched execution: 'US missing point over death penalty' 30 Apr 2014 Botched execution leaves inmate 'writhing' before suffering heart attack 30 Apr 2014

    Lockett convulsed violently and tried to lift his head after a doctor declared him unconscious, and prison officials halted the execution. Gov Fallin said "an independent review" would be effective and appropriate.

    The governor said the review, to be led by the state's commissioner for public safety, Michael Thompson, will focus on Lockett's cause of death and an independent pathologist will make that determination. The review will also look at whether the department followed the protocol correctly and will include recommendations for future executions.

    Gov Fallin said a stay for Charles Warner, who had been scheduled to die two hours after Lockett, is in place until May 13. She said Warner's execution will be further delayed if the review is not complete by then.

    Warner's lawyer objected to the investigation being led by a member of Gov Fallin's Cabinet.

    "I don't consider that to be an independent investigation," said lawyer Madeline Cohen.

    Attorney General Scott Pruitt, whose office has worked to keep secret details about the execution drugs, said he intends to assign investigators to work with Mr Thompson.

    The Oklahoma Board of Corrections planned to meet in a closed-door session on Thursday to discuss the investigation and "possible litigation" connected to Lockett's execution. The department did not immediately respond to a request for details.

    Lockett, 38, had been declared unconscious 10 minutes after the first of three drugs in the state's new lethal injection combination was administered Tuesday. Three minutes later, he began breathing heavily, clenching his teeth. The blinds were lowered to prevent those in the viewing gallery from watching, and the state's top prison official later halted the proceedings. Lockett died of a heart attack shortly thereafter, the Department of Corrections said. Officials later blamed a ruptured vein for the problems with Lockett's execution.

    Previously, most executions in Oklahoma, which used different fast-acting barbiturates, were completed and the inmate declared dead within about 10 minutes of the procedure's start.

    In Washington, White House spokesman Jay Carney said President Barack Obama believes that evidence suggests the death penalty does little to deter crime.

    "But it's also the case that we have a fundamental standard in this country that even when the death penalty is justified, it must be carried out humanely," Mr Carney said. "Everyone would recognise this case fell short of this standard."

    Lockett was convicted of shooting 19-year-old Stephanie Neiman and watching as two accomplices buried her alive in 1999. Neiman and a friend had interrupted the men as they robbed a home.

    The medical examiner's office said the toxicology portion of the autopsy to determine what drugs were in Lockett's system had begun and the surgical portion will be conducted by an independent pathologist. Spokesman Amy Elliott initially said it could take two to four months to complete the toxicology report, but later said she expects the results sooner since they were sent to an independent laboratory for analysis.

    Tuesday was the first time Oklahoma used the sedative midazolam as the first element in its execution drug combination. Other states have used it before;Florida administers 500 milligrams as part of its three-drug combination. Oklahoma used 100 milligrams.

    Pruitt had said the lower dosage would ensure the state maintains an adequate supply for future executions. The state had information indicating that at that dose, "you go to sleep doggone quick," he said.

    Lockett and Warner had sued the state for refusing to disclose details about the execution drugs. The state Supreme Court later dismissed the inmates' claim.

    Edited by Bonnie Malkin


    Oklahoma's governor calls for review of procedures after botched execution - Telegraph

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,615
    The reason this piece of shit got what he deserved was the raping, shooting and burying alive of a young woman. He and his accomplice watched as she choked on the earth shovelled on to her.


    Well done oklahoma. Probably the first time in a while where the murderer has been made to experience the fear and horror he subjected his victim to.

    I'm sure the news of this will have made a few people who had rape and murder in mind for today will have altered their plans.
    Last edited by taxexile; 01-05-2014 at 10:19 AM.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chonburi, Thailand
    Posts
    6,067
    So he got the death penalty and they injected him and he died.

    Not seeing what is wrong here ?

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    04-09-2019 @ 05:06 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    Sounds like a few here are quite open to Sharia.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,615
    Me neither, but some are saying he should not have died painfully or slowly.

    To me thats the whole point of the death penalty, to force the perpetrator to feel the fear,the anticipation, the pain and the finality that he put his victim through.

    Its justice at its most perfect.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,615
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Sounds like a few here are quite open to Sharia.
    Sharia does have its good points, fairness of the judges not being one of them though.
    The penalties for violent crime, murder cant be argued with, neither can the victims role in forgiveness and absolution for the offender.

  7. #7
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,878
    Too bad they couldn't revive him and do it again.

  8. #8
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:35 PM
    Posts
    28,634
    Yes he got what he deserved but 2 wrongs don't make it right.

    We after all are supposed to be the healthy minded sensible human beings.

  9. #9
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,933
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Sounds like a few here are quite open to Sharia.
    Dunno about that, but the word "Karma" does spring to my mind.....

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    2,226
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Sounds like a few here are quite open to Sharia.
    Sharia does have its good points, fairness of the judges not being one of them though.
    The penalties for violent crime, murder cant be argued with, neither can the victims role in forgiveness and absolution for the offender.
    Unfortunately sharia chops off hands and feet for theft, stoning for adultery, be heading for 'witchcraft' and execution for people leaving the faith. Not the system to envy or copy.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:48 PM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy View Post
    Yes he got what he deserved but 2 wrongs don't make it right.

    We after all are supposed to be the healthy minded sensible human beings.
    True....fair comment

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Rainfall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    03-08-2015 @ 10:32 PM
    Posts
    2,492
    Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Sounds like a few here are quite open to Sharia.
    Sharia does have its good points, fairness of the judges not being one of them though.
    The penalties for violent crime, murder cant be argued with, neither can the victims role in forgiveness and absolution for the offender.
    Unfortunately sharia chops off hands and feet for theft, stoning for adultery, be heading for 'witchcraft' and execution for people leaving the faith. Not the system to envy or copy.
    A debate on a botched execution in the US degenerates to one about Islam, I expected no more nor less from you. At least sharia doesn't stone people working on Sabath, arguing with their parents, and rape victims who don't cry out during the rape like your cruel religion. Which demands the very same penalties for witchcraft, adultery, and people leaving the faith like Islam.
    Boon Mee: 'Israel is the 51st State. De facto - but none the less, essentially part & parcel of the USA.'

  13. #13
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    What I am reading here is that prison officials may well have intentionally "botched" the procedure in order to make Lockett suffer.

    Charles Warner must be thrilled.

  14. #14
    I am in Jail
    leemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    07-10-2015 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    pty
    Posts
    2,608
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    ...Well done oklahoma. Probably the first time in a while where the murderer has been made to experience the fear and horror he subjected his victim to...
    Yes but pointless if he dies at the end of it. Much better if they kept him alive to do it daily, or if that's upsetting to the bleeding hearts, make it weekly.

  15. #15
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    12-07-2019 @ 12:26 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,756
    After reading the story I did feel some sympathy for the next man who was due to be put to death two hours later............then read that his crime was the rape and murder of an 11 month old baby

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    bobo746's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Online
    24-01-2019 @ 09:21 AM
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    14,326
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile
    Lockett was convicted of shooting 19-year-old Stephanie Neiman and watching as two accomplices buried her alive in 1999.
    I dont see what that bitching is about, he got what he deserved.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    23-10-2014 @ 05:31 PM
    Posts
    1,201
    How Dignitas manages to dispatch people with the least of trouble and not a single complaint ? Maybe they need to have a chat with them as they seem to be struggling to do something as simple as execute a person for heinous crimes

  18. #18
    Tax Consultant
    Thormaturge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    9,892
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    After reading the story I did feel some sympathy for the next man who was due to be put to death two hours later............then read that his crime was the rape and murder of an 11 month old baby
    Charles Warner.

    That was the point of my earlier post. He now has a terrifying two-week wait knowing he may not only die, but spend best part of an hour writhing in agony. Maybe he should be left alone with a rope.

  19. #19
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainfall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xanax View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    Sounds like a few here are quite open to Sharia.
    Sharia does have its good points, fairness of the judges not being one of them though.
    The penalties for violent crime, murder cant be argued with, neither can the victims role in forgiveness and absolution for the offender.
    Unfortunately sharia chops off hands and feet for theft, stoning for adultery, be heading for 'witchcraft' and execution for people leaving the faith. Not the system to envy or copy.
    A debate on a botched execution in the US degenerates to one about Islam, I expected no more nor less from you. At least sharia doesn't stone people working on Sabath, arguing with their parents, and rape victims who don't cry out during the rape like your cruel religion. Which demands the very same penalties for witchcraft, adultery, and people leaving the faith like Islam.
    Hey Brain dead read post#4 and see who started the ball rolling about Islam .

  20. #20
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 11:14 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    Why are such complex methods preferred if not humane or cheaper.
    USA developed the chair ,while the old guillotine,noose or axe seem pretty easy.

    Also in an armed nation would probably be pretty easy to round up volunteer friring squads?

    Am I missing something why do these ordeals via injection happen,is it to make them suffer in which case starvation or being made to watch re-runs of Mash might be cheaper or left in a cell with a gorilla called Bubba?
    I used to have a job at a calendar factory.
    I got the sack because
    I took a couple of days off.

  21. #21
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,933
    Quote Originally Posted by david44 View Post
    Why are such complex methods preferred if not humane or cheaper.
    USA developed the chair ,while the old guillotine,noose or axe seem pretty easy.

    Also in an armed nation would probably be pretty easy to round up volunteer friring squads?

    Am I missing something why do these ordeals via injection happen,is it to make them suffer in which case starvation or being made to watch re-runs of Mash might be cheaper or left in a cell with a gorilla called Bubba?

    Tis an interesting point. Killing people happens all the time - usually pretty efficiently. But setting out to do it methodically, every time with minimum fuss or muss seems to be so hard. Lethal injection was considered a "merciful" way - no suffering, no pain. The noose, chair, firing squad and guillotine all had their screw ups. Hanging often resulted in people being slowly strangled, the chair had people being fried repeatedly, heads catching fire etc etc.

    When lethal injection works correctly the barbiturates knock them out before the potassium finsihed the job. Clearly however that can be effed up as well.

    Mind you, the Thai way is probably pretty effective. Messy mind.

  22. #22
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    12-10-2019 @ 11:14 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by david44 View Post
    Why are such complex methods preferred if not humane or cheaper.
    USA developed the chair ,while the old guillotine,noose or axe seem pretty easy.

    Also in an armed nation would probably be pretty easy to round up volunteer friring squads?

    Am I missing something why do these ordeals via injection happen,is it to make them suffer in which case starvation or being made to watch re-runs of Mash might be cheaper or left in a cell with a gorilla called Bubba?

    Tis an interesting point. Killing people happens all the time - usually pretty efficiently. But setting out to do it methodically, every time with minimum fuss or muss seems to be so hard. Lethal injection was considered a "merciful" way - no suffering, no pain. The noose, chair, firing squad and guillotine all had their screw ups. Hanging often resulted in people being slowly strangled, the chair had people being fried repeatedly, heads catching fire etc etc.

    When lethal injection works correctly the barbiturates knock them out before the potassium finsihed the job. Clearly however that can be effed up as well.

    Mind you, the Thai way is probably pretty effective. Messy mind.
    Cheers
    what;s the Thai norm I thought it was hanging hereabouts?


    This list starts inerestingly with crushing via elephant !
    List of methods of capital punishment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Death by Chang seems unsuitable to USA.
    You'd think the medical profession would have perfected the painless methods, "a peaches level of heroin" or morphine or would this be too easy an end for someone being punished?

    Methods of Execution | Death Penalty Information Center


  23. #23
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,933
    ^ My bad, I am out of date. Used to be they strapped the person in front of a machine gun and blew his heart out. Apparently that changed in 2001 when they converted to lethal injection.

    funnily enough - a link to the board:

    TeakDoor.com - The Thailand Forum Thailand Prisons - The Death Sentence

  24. #24
    R.I.P
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    09-01-2017 @ 07:38 AM
    Posts
    8,887
    Quote Originally Posted by leemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    ...Well done oklahoma. Probably the first time in a while where the murderer has been made to experience the fear and horror he subjected his victim to...
    Yes but pointless if he dies at the end of it. Much better if they kept him alive to do it daily, or if that's upsetting to the bleeding hearts, make it weekly.
    Rainfall really has got his Y fronts twisted on this one eh in his post#12 ,firstly he accuses Xanax of starting the ball rolling on Islam when if truth is known it was Sabang in his post#4, and then he actually alludes that Christians get stoned to death for working on the Sabbath , seriously ask yourself is this clown for real or what

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    30-10-2019 @ 12:35 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    We after all are supposed to be the healthy minded sensible human beings.
    I take it you aren't using TD as an example?


    Why not just strap them to some explosives?
    Maybe down an old mineshaft, hey presto, free burials!

    Vote Kurgen!

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •