Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    13-01-2014 @ 11:12 AM
    Posts
    141

    british passport

    Pricey passports
    You’re a British citizen, you pay upwards of £77.50 for your passport, it has a valid picture of you in it – so it’s yours, right? Well, maybe. According to the text on the leaflet it belongs to Her Majesty’s Government. But in 1955, Earl Jowitt, a former solicitor-general and attorney-general, pointed out that ‘the Government’ couldn’t own anything because there is no such legal entity. No one since has been able to clarify the matter. So who gets the £77.50?



  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    6,752
    British passport are you serious , burn the cnut of a thing , get a Polish one ,

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat davearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    19-05-2017 @ 07:50 AM
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,598
    £77.50, half your luck. Aussie one's are about $300.

  4. #4
    Lord of Swine
    Necron99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nahkon Sawon
    Posts
    13,025
    Who gets all your tax and supplies all your services? Pixies?

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat poorfalang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Online
    27-09-2017 @ 11:55 AM
    Location
    in the sticks
    Posts
    1,423
    Quote Originally Posted by davearn View Post
    £77.50, half your luck. Aussie one's are about $300.
    the Aussie gov has to take 77.50 out to give it to the Queen of England, the rest its theirs, but you are right it still sounds expensive,

  6. #6
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:45 AM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    680
    A british passport might only be 77 quid if renewed in Britain but when you are an expat like myself living in Australia it costs a fuckin load more than that and involves a lot of fuckin about to get it ,thats why I'm gonna get myself neutralized before my brit one expires next yr !

  7. #7
    Sprayed On Member
    The Fresh Prince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Not in the willage
    Posts
    11,684
    Quote Originally Posted by steve down under
    I'm gonna get myself neutralized before my brit one expires next
    That's a bit extreme mate!

  8. #8
    Have you got any cheese Thetyim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Mousehole
    Posts
    20,904
    ^
    Yes far too extreme.
    Get yourself nationalised, then the tax payers can pay for it

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Fluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:39 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,858
    Quote Originally Posted by capello View Post
    Pricey passports
    You’re a British citizen, you pay upwards of £77.50 for your passport, it has a valid picture of you in it – so it’s yours, right? Well, maybe. According to the text on the leaflet it belongs to Her Majesty’s Government. But in 1955, Earl Jowitt, a former solicitor-general and attorney-general, pointed out that ‘the Government’ couldn’t own anything because there is no such legal entity. No one since has been able to clarify the matter. So who gets the £77.50?


    The money goes toward to funding UK embassies abroad . I remember reading it whilst applying for a passport .

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •