Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080

    Christopher G. Moore


    An Interview with Christopher G. Moore

    Canadian novelist and former law professor
    once described by the Toronto Globe and Mail as
    the Hemingway of Bangkok

    His crime novel character, Vincent Calvino:
    I have no attachments. Next life I will make a perfect Buddhist. But in this life I am paying off the karma of a last life. I am an ex-lawyer from New York City. No one gets himself born in New York City without having made some major mistake in the last life. Whatever that mistake was it was bad enough to cause me to abandon New York City for Bangkok. Flipped from the wok straight into the fire. For the past dozen years, I've been solving crimes in Southeast Asia, keeping and trying not to get burnt.
    The Official Vincent Calvino Website,online novel
    Last edited by friscofrankie; 15-02-2007 at 05:11 PM.

  2. #2
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,356
    ^ he's a cnut.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    29-05-2019 @ 04:45 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
    ^ he's a cnut.
    Dunno about him, but I tried reading a couple of his books, and it is pure drivel. Who buys this crap?

  4. #4
    I am in Jail
    Butterfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    01-02-2019 @ 03:12 PM
    Posts
    39,832
    Don't like his books much, one TD member here said he met with him a few times and he was a nice fellow

  5. #5
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteshiva
    Who buys this crap?
    I do, the Calvino novels are cult.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Skulldigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    20-02-2007 @ 09:51 PM
    Location
    Mostly in Northern Thailand.
    Posts
    1,449
    Not my cup of ox piss.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    I read one. It was ok.

  8. #8
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    It's heartwarming to see that a farang can make his way here by doing something other than teaching english.

    The Hemingway of Bangkok, someones dry sense of humour. Hemingway wasn't up to much.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    29-05-2019 @ 04:45 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    I read one. It was ok.
    Personally I would rather nail my dick to a burning building than read another one.......

  10. #10
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,526
    If the above quoted text is an example of his work, I'll pass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteshiva
    Personally I would rather nail my dick to a burning building than read another one
    With a choice like that I might give it a read tho...

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat reinvented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    top of soi 2
    Posts
    1,789
    i think i saw him in the bulls head with his boyfriend last night
    french canadian is he?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    It's heartwarming to see that a farang can make his way here by doing something other than teaching english.

    The Hemingway of Bangkok, someones dry sense of humour. Hemingway wasn't up to much.
    "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
    "Old Man & The Sea"
    ...and countless others.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    hillbilly was quoted on the orginal site. Guess, I have been replaced...

    Regardless, spend a year or so here in the Big Mango and one does not need a guide...

  14. #14
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    It's heartwarming to see that a farang can make his way here by doing something other than teaching english.

    The Hemingway of Bangkok, someones dry sense of humour. Hemingway wasn't up to much.
    "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
    "Old Man & The Sea"
    ...and countless others.
    and your point is what ?

    Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter flies undone

    and too many others.

    I was forced to read Hemingway at school and I'd rate him up there with Alastair McLean and Capt W.E.Johns.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    29-05-2019 @ 04:45 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by friscofrankie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteshiva
    Personally I would rather nail my dick to a burning building than read another one
    With a choice like that I might give it a read tho...
    Trust me, FF - after a few pages you will be screaming for the hammer and a can of petrol.....

  16. #16
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,526
    Some writers can weave a compelling story that keeps your interest, turning pages to realize the conclusion. Some writers will tell a mundane tale simply, with such wonderful language you read just to enjoy the ride. The rare author that take a compelling story told with such grace of prose and wit you find yourself rereading it over and over.

    Hemingway took simple, personal stories and over-wrote them with too many words they were a chore to plod through. Why he is so revered by many I will never understand. Probably one of the most over-rated authors in history.

    Reading the excerpt in the OP and the comparison with "Papa" I'll be sure to leave any of this guy's books on the shelf.
    When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty -- T. Jefferson


  17. #17
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    I found it to be compelling reading, and based on what I also experienced Bangkok to be like.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    ^I tend to agree. However, at times somewhat over the top.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat Boon Mee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    13-09-2019 @ 04:18 PM
    Location
    Samui
    Posts
    44,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Boon Mee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    It's heartwarming to see that a farang can make his way here by doing something other than teaching english.

    The Hemingway of Bangkok, someones dry sense of humour. Hemingway wasn't up to much.
    "For Whom The Bell Tolls"
    "Old Man & The Sea"
    ...and countless others.
    and your point is what ?

    Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
    Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Harry Potter flies undone

    and too many others.

    I was forced to read Hemingway at school and I'd rate him up there with Alastair McLean and Capt W.E.Johns.
    Well, I was forced to read James Joyce and I'd rate him too as a real boring read...
    A Deplorable Bitter Clinger

  20. #20
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    21-01-2009 @ 09:15 PM
    Posts
    4,331
    the ol man and the sea, was cool

  21. #21
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,356
    Quote Originally Posted by friscofrankie View Post
    Some writers can weave a compelling story that keeps your interest, turning pages to realize the conclusion. Some writers will tell a mundane tale simply, with such wonderful language you read just to enjoy the ride. The rare author that take a compelling story told with such grace of prose and wit you find yourself rereading it over and over.

    Hemingway took simple, personal stories and over-wrote them with too many words they were a chore to plod through. Why he is so revered by many I will never understand. Probably one of the most over-rated authors in history.

    Reading the excerpt in the OP and the comparison with "Papa" I'll be sure to leave any of this guy's books on the shelf.
    But he was a serious pisshead, so that makes him ok in my book.

  22. #22
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Yeah, and he seems to know all the sleazy joints from 1st hand experience, I spotted him in Thermae before.

  23. #23
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by stroller View Post
    An Interview with Christopher G. Moore

    Canadian novelist and former law professor
    once described by the Toronto Globe and Mail as
    the Hemingway of Bangkok

    His crime novel character, Vincent Calvino:
    I have no attachments. Next life I will make a perfect Buddhist. But in this life I am paying off the karma of a last life. I am an ex-lawyer from New York City. No one gets himself born in New York City without having made some major mistake in the last life. Whatever that mistake was it was bad enough to cause me to abandon New York City for Bangkok. Flipped from the wok straight into the fire. For the past dozen years, I've been solving crimes in Southeast Asia, keeping and trying not to get burnt.
    The Official Vincent Calvino Website,online novel
    What a pile of wank! "Out of the wok straight into the fire",
    my hairy posterior! Much as I think Hemingway is over-rated
    this guy doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same
    sentence as him.

    Last week I bought a pile of 1960's Men from UNCLE mags from
    a 2nd hand shop in Chiangmai, this drivel is on the same literary
    level and nowhere near as entertaining. As if that wasn't enough the
    guy is obviously a Vulcan, why doesn't he peddle this dreck on his
    own planet.

  24. #24
    Member
    Anonymous Coward's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    20-04-2007 @ 07:55 PM
    Location
    Ratsima - The Bakersfield of LoS
    Posts
    923
    I love his books. Just the sort of mindless drivel that a retiree loves and I don't care at all what the rest of you think.

  25. #25
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    I think you're refering to "Bodice rippers". My grandmother used to read one a week.

    Boon Mee try "portrait of the artist as a young man" probably the most accessable Joyce book.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •