Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435

    What the fuck is Gordon Strachan prattling on about?

    Gordon Strachan blames Scotland's genetics for World Cup failure | Football News | Sky Sports








    We're hardly talking a nation of dainty little flowers bullied off the ball by the brutes of Slovenia and Lithuania, are we?

    Get off the deep fried pizzas, buckfast and smack, and you'll have half a chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,470
    The second shortest in qualifying apart from Spain.

    That really should tell wee Gord something other than it seems to have done.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    The second shortest in qualifying apart from Spain.

    That really should tell wee Gord something other than it seems to have done.


    I'd read the article earlier but only saw this comparison when I got home from work.

    All the daft cnut has to do is think back to his own time in the teams of the mid 80s that could play while more than matching you physically, if necessary. However, I doubt there's one single player in that current squad who'd come close to challenging him for his place in the 86 World Cup squad.

    Genetics, my arse.
    Last edited by hallelujah; 09-10-2017 at 09:24 PM.

  4. #4
    Railway enthusiast
    DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,527
    Because genetically they're crap

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:50 PM
    Posts
    34,599
    The Scots just have to "invent" the truly great games...Football and golf...Leave it up to the rest of the world to fight over it...

    Much like the Canucks...Invented everything from pizza to basketball...Heh...

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    What Strachan is trying to say is that a lot of European teams can overcome their lack of technical ability by using their physical prowess. The current generation of Scottish international players are a bunch of dwarfs so they dont have that advantage. Hence we are shit and fail in every competition we enter.

  7. #7
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    10,954
    The Scottish leagues have been starved of cash for about the last twenty years. The result is today’s lack of international class talent. Physical size doesn’t figure.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Scottish Gary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Location
    Between The Moon And New York City
    Posts
    1,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
    The Scottish leagues have been starved of cash for about the last twenty years. The result is today’s lack of international class talent. Physical size doesn’t figure.
    Its not just the Scottish leagues that are the problem..We dont have anyone playing regularly for the top English clubs like we did in the past. Our team is full of guys playing in The Championship as opposed to The Premiership....In saying that Northern Ireland and Iceland are in the same boat and they dont even have a pro leagues yet they qualify for tournaments. We dont help ourselves by appointing crap managers who only pick the same old players and wont give youth a chance

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:14 PM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,276
    BBC news today was reporting that Iceland is the smallest country in the world to qualify for a soccer World Cup

  10. #10
    Railway enthusiast
    DJ Pat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    16,527
    Newcastle's Matt Ritchie was out injured which didn't help

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottish Gary View Post
    Its not just the Scottish leagues that are the problem..We dont have anyone playing regularly for the top English clubs like we did in the past. Our team is full of guys playing in The Championship as opposed to The Premiership....In saying that Northern Ireland and Iceland are in the same boat and they dont even have a pro leagues yet they qualify for tournaments. We dont help ourselves by appointing crap managers who only pick the same old players and wont give youth a chance
    It starts at grass roots. You used to produce some of the very best players in all areas of the pitch, but that well has long since dried up.

    For a country like Scotland - mad about football - to have been so poor for so long tells you the problems run much deeper than Strachan's nonsense.

  12. #12
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,566
    The Scottish rugby team are doing well and they ain't exactly small blokes so Strachan is full of shit. He's just a crap coach.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    ^ Who gives a fuck about rugby?

    It's what public schoolboys and fatties who couldn't get into the football team play.

  14. #14
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Posts
    44,579
    I had an interesting conversation about Iceland with a scandihooligan mate. What he told me is pretty well summed up by this Beeb article:



    But much like the prospective plans put forward by an English Football Association commission in October 2014, Iceland's football association (KSI) has overseen massive investment in changing that in the past 15 years.
    There are now 30 full-size all-weather pitches, seven of which are indoors, and almost 150 smaller artificial arenas that ensure youngsters at grassroots can continue to play football in winter, often inside indoor dome structures.

    <and>

    Despite Iceland having no professional club sides, there is an extraordinarily high number of qualified coaches in the country, with 639 people holding a Uefa B licence, according to recent KSI statistics.

    It means even youngsters living in the tiniest provincial fishing village in Iceland can benefit from a state-of-the-art, all-weather pitch and a trained coach.


    Iceland: How a country with 329,000 people reached Euro 2016 - BBC Sport

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I had an interesting conversation about Iceland with a scandihooligan mate. What he told me is pretty well summed up by this Beeb article:






    Iceland: How a country with 329,000 people reached Euro 2016 - BBC Sport
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Just look at Holland though, Harry. There was an interview in the Guardian with Martin Jol at the weekend and it said they had one million registered players out of a population of seventeen million. One million! Added to which, they have top notch facilities and an ingrained football culture, but look at 'em now.

    There are clearly a few factors involved, but Iceland's achievements are certainly phenomenal. A bit like we used to say about Norway in the 90s.

  16. #16
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Posts
    44,579
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    Just look at Holland though, Harry. There was an interview in the Guardian with Martin Jol at the weekend and it said they had one million registered players out of a population of seventeen million. One million! Added to which, they have top notch facilities and an ingrained football culture, but look at 'em now.

    There are clearly a few factors involved, but Iceland's achievements are certainly phenomenal. A bit like we used to say about Norway in the 90s.
    Coaching then.

    Blind said last year that Holland is not producing enough good players.

    Yet they have more homegrown players in their top flight than any of the other major European countries.

    You didn't mention the coaches.

    The Iceland FA put a lot into developing them.
    Last edited by harrybarracuda; 11-10-2017 at 11:54 AM.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    I really can't imagine Holland are lacking in coaches. Can you?

    One of the problems Jol cited was the archetypal catch 22 situation. Those players who stay in the Eredivisie don't develop to as they might do elsewhere while those who do go abroad often find that they can't cut the mustard and/or have moved too early.

    Memphis Depay being a recent example.

  18. #18
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,566
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    ^ Who gives a fuck about rugby?
    public schoolboys
    Hence a far superior game and can be watched without being surrounded by lower end dross.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,470
    So with a population of 17 million surely the puzzle is how did Holland succeed previously rather than why have they failed now? I'd say it was revolutionary coaching methods which are now fairly commonplace.

    Iceland's approach seems similar to Germany's about a decade before they staged the World Cup. They trained up about 700 coaches dispersed around the country.

    England, in contrast, paid Capello an eye-watering salary, built one state-of-the-art training facility for the existing teams and rebuilt Wembley for 800 million. I believe it's called 'polishing a turd'.

  20. #20
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Posts
    44,579
    Quote Originally Posted by hallelujah View Post
    I really can't imagine Holland are lacking in coaches. Can you?
    How many players have access to each UEFA B (minimum) coach compared to Iceland.

    I mean there are coaches and there are coaches, aren't there?

    Any fucking idiot can stick some cones out.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,470
    Take Sammy Lee.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat Fluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:05 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    4,745
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I had an interesting conversation about Iceland with a scandihooligan mate. What he told me is pretty well summed up by this Beeb article:
    Thats cringe worthy , boasting about you got a mate whos proud about being a violent thug

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    Hence a far superior game and can be watched without being surrounded by lower end dross.
    Fuck off, Tarquin.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    How many players have access to each UEFA B (minimum) coach compared to Iceland.

    I mean there are coaches and there are coaches, aren't there?

    Any fucking idiot can stick some cones out.
    Ha! Good point. Mike Phelan, Phil Neal...

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    13-10-2017 @ 05:13 PM
    Posts
    1,435
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    So with a population of 17 million surely the puzzle is how did Holland succeed previously rather than why have they failed now? I'd say it was revolutionary coaching methods which are now fairly commonplace.

    Iceland's approach seems similar to Germany's about a decade before they staged the World Cup. They trained up about 700 coaches dispersed around the country.

    England, in contrast, paid Capello an eye-watering salary, built one state-of-the-art training facility for the existing teams and rebuilt Wembley for 800 million. I believe it's called 'polishing a turd'.
    Howard Wilkinson yesterday calling for the system he designed to be scrapped.

    Must we go through the humiliation once again next summer?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •