Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,060

    Photo Hosting Site - any suggestions?

    Currently I'm with PhotoBucket and, until recently, they've been fine.

    But now, I get this shite ...



    So I'm looking for a new way to both store my images and with the ability to display therm on forums.

    So, what do you use/recommend?

    Free, of course.

    Thanks in advance.
    .

    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

    .

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,501
    imgur

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    imgur

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Digby Fantona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    20-08-2018 @ 01:32 AM
    Posts
    1,078
    My Photobucket is totally screwed up. Obviously the way forward is to improve the image hosting capability of this forum. We cannot rely on external hosts.

  5. #5
    disconnected SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,000
    The gallery here does work. But its difficult to use.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,060
    ^^^ ^^^^ ... imgur heh ... I'm hearing you.

    Quote Originally Posted by SKkin View Post
    The gallery here does work. But its difficult to use.
    I don't like the thought of someone else 'owning' my images.

    Thanks for the replies thus far.
    .

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    I don't like the thought of someone else 'owning' my images.
    Yeah if you ever get locked out or banned your pics are stuck being hosted over here.

    I dont much like that idea.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Gmail account....

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Gmail account....
    What do ya mean Jeff?

    Whats your procedure?

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Gmail account....
    What do ya mean Jeff?

    Whats your procedure?
    Sign-up for a gmail account, if not one already.
    One can create a number of featured sub-categories within your account for uploading/downloading most anything that you want to - site links, photos, youtube videos, P&C items, etc.

    Quite easy to add pics and subsequently transfer items to wherever one wants - including your systems files.

    More importantly - it's yours. Not belonging to a online corporate image hosting service. Secure always, unlimited activity, no hidden fees or upgrades, etc.

    Personally, I would never trust any of those image hosting cvnts......including your beloved Imgur.
    Last edited by thaimeme; 30-06-2017 at 07:21 PM.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Personally, I would never trust any of those image hosting cvnts......including your beloved Imgur.
    Can you host from your accounts or do you have to upload to the TD gallery?

    If I'm understanding you correctly, you are using it like cloud storage. Basically.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Personally, I would never trust any of those image hosting cvnts......including your beloved Imgur.
    Can you host from your accounts or do you have to upload to the TD gallery?

    If I'm understanding you correctly, you are using it like cloud storage. Basically.
    Yeah.
    One can easily c&p image from account or system file to a TD post or easily transferred to your TD gallery...

    Amazingly, most still struggle with very simple and straight forward process of the TD gallery and uploading to respective post.

    Sure, we'll all agree that's it's a bit archaic and mechanics could be updated - but still secure and practical.

    Actually, much easier to upload a simple photo from personal system-to-TD gallery-to-thread-post than attempted struggle with an overbearing image hosting site.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,060
    so now I have both an imgur and Google Photos (gmail) accounts.
    I had an existing google Account because I have a YouTube Account.

    BUT

    But neither have the ability to create sub folders.

    For example I want to keep photos of my kids.

    So I'd like to create a Folder entitled 'Kids' then, under that folder create various sub-folders.
    i.e.
    Kids 1 - 2 y
    Kids 2 - 3 y

    etc

  14. #14
    disconnected SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,000
    Personally I would never trust gmail/Google anything.

    That's why I deleted my Youtube acct. when Google bought them out.

    It's also why this:

    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    Sign-up for a gmail account, if not one already.
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme
    More importantly - it's yours. Not belonging to a online corporate image hosting service.
    just doesn't compute for me.

  15. #15
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Gallery button is on top middle of screen - currently under Smooci lips.

    How to create an Album on TD


    1) Click "gallery"
    2) In the top middle of the screen click "create/order my albums" from the small blue menu bar.
    3) The new album box will appear. Click "New". You will now see an album called "New album" appear in the box.
    4) Click "apply modifications" and click "yes" in answer to the question.
    5) Click "Continue" and you're done. This album can be used in future for ALL your images.

    How to upload an image

    1) Click "gallery"
    2) Place mouse pointer over little picture of house (don't click)
    3) Click "Upload File" from menu which appears on the lift
    4) Click "Choose file"
    5) Your local file browser will now appear, choose the mage to upload
    6) Click "Continue"
    7) Click "Continue" (Yep, another one)
    8) Select album to place image in from "dropdown menu.
    9) Click Continue
    10) You're done


    I realise that's 15 steps but anybody who's capable of shaving without injuring themselves or cooking a meal without poisoning themselves should have no problem with it. Album creation need only be done once. Uploading photos should then only take a few seconds.

    Next step, in another post, how to get those pics into a post.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Gallery button is on top middle of screen - currently under Smooci lips.

    How to create an Album on TD


    1) Click "gallery"
    2) In the top middle of the screen click "create/order my albums" from the small blue menu bar.
    3) The new album box will appear. Click "New". You will now see an album called "New album" appear in the box.
    4) Click "apply modifications" and click "yes" in answer to the question.
    5) Click "Continue" and you're done. This album can be used in future for ALL your images.

    How to upload an image

    1) Click "gallery"
    2) Place mouse pointer over little picture of house (don't click)
    3) Click "Upload File" from menu which appears on the lift
    4) Click "Choose file"
    5) Your local file browser will now appear, choose the mage to upload
    6) Click "Continue"
    7) Click "Continue" (Yep, another one)
    8) Select album to place image in from "dropdown menu.
    9) Click Continue
    10) You're done


    I realise that's 15 steps but anybody who's capable of shaving without injuring themselves or cooking a meal without poisoning themselves should have no problem with it. Album creation need only be done once. Uploading photos should then only take a few seconds.

    Next step, in another post, how to get those pics into a post.


    ..........

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,060
    ^^ B0b ... I do appreciate the effort but, I'd prefer TD not to own/control my images which, if I uploaded to the site, they would.

    Again ... appreciated the post.

  18. #18
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    ^^ B0b ... I do appreciate the effort but, I'd prefer TD not to own/control my images which, if I uploaded to the site, they would.
    What makes you think that? It's not true. Your pictures remain your property, same as on any other hosting site. Where did you see different?

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,030
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    ^^ B0b ... I do appreciate the effort but, I'd prefer TD not to own/control my images which, if I uploaded to the site, they would.

    Again ... appreciated the post.
    Some us will keep separate/duplicate copies of photos, so not being concerned as to ownership or controlling issues.

    Most every image hosting/archive have this function written into their policies and hard drive.

    It is what it is. Pick your poison.

  20. #20
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    ^^ B0b ... I do appreciate the effort but, I'd prefer TD not to own/control my images which, if I uploaded to the site, they would.

    Again ... appreciated the post.


    Most every image hosting/archive have this function written into their policies and hard drive.
    A myth. I really wish people would actually read those T&C documents they so easily click "accept" on. For me, I keep most of my photos on Google Photos and manage them in Google Drive. None of these things are very complicated but many people just don't read the documentation. My main archive is kept on local drives and new photos are automatically uploaded to Google Photos/Google Drive when I add them. Photos taken on my mobiles and tablets are also uploaded automatically to Google Photos.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:27 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,060
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    ^^ B0b ... I do appreciate the effort but, I'd prefer TD not to own/control my images which, if I uploaded to the site, they would.

    Again ... appreciated the post.
    Most every image hosting/archive have this function written into their policies and hard drive.
    A myth. I really wish people would actually read those T&C documents they so easily click "accept" on.
    Mate, my skepticism comes from my time on Thai Visa.

    I have a shite load of material there, photos of me, my partner, put a lot of effort over there creating posts.

    One Mod (Scott) got promoted to Admin who had a preexisting dislike of me and got me banned.

    Being banned I then lost any control I had on the images.

    Now, I'm having a hoot of the time here on the TD ATM but ... maybe a new owner comes in, Thai Visa buys the TD ... a few possibilities.

  22. #22
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thaimeme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    ^^ B0b ... I do appreciate the effort but, I'd prefer TD not to own/control my images which, if I uploaded to the site, they would.

    Again ... appreciated the post.
    Most every image hosting/archive have this function written into their policies and hard drive.
    A myth. I really wish people would actually read those T&C documents they so easily click "accept" on.
    Mate, my skepticism comes from my time on Thai Visa.

    I have a shite load of material there, photos of me, my partner, put a lot of effort over there creating posts.

    One Mod (Scott) got promoted to Admin who had a preexisting dislike of me and got me banned.

    Being banned I then lost any control I had on the images.

    Now, I'm having a hoot of the time here on the TD ATM but ... maybe a new owner comes in, Thai Visa buys the TD ... a few possibilities.
    I understand but the basic thing is, and I'm not having a go at you personally here, if you're going to use an image hosting site then read the rules, especially for the free packages. They're only free in the same way that the first few shots of heroin are free. Once you're hooked, or you have your entire life's photos up there, the squeeze starts. Oh, and always, always keep a local copy and a backup of stuff you just can't afford to lose.

    Quite a few people here have been burnt quite badly by photobuckets and imgur's policies on hotlinking/3rd party usage. It's not the fault of the TD gallery when photo hosting companies enforce their public policies.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    7,591
    I keep all my photos local with backup onto external drives. I find the TD gallery pretty easy to use although I have to transform, resize and compress to get down to the 1mbyte limit. This reduces the quality of the images so they are one-offs and deleted after upload.

    I use dropbox to transfer mobile pics between machines, especially between wife and myself with two accounts.

    Is flikr an option for you? You can create albums and link and have 1tb free. It might require real names for setting up though.

  24. #24
    disconnected SKkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    39.2014 N, 85.9214 W
    Posts
    7,000
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b
    I realise that's 15 steps but anybody who's capable of shaving without injuring themselves or cooking a meal without poisoning themselves should have no problem with it.
    Hurray...I can do it! These were taken with a disposable camera about 8 years ago.

    Mackinac Bridge. Lower MI to UP. Lake Michigan on the left, Lake Huron on the right.



    Trying different sizing...according to resizer program, medium vs. large. But they look like the same size to me.



    And the pics still exist on my hard drive as well...

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD
    so now I have both an imgur and Google Photos (gmail) accounts.
    I had an existing google Account because I have a YouTube Account.

    BUT

    But neither have the ability to create sub folders.
    imgur has the ability - its called 'albums'

    I have 7 albums in my imgur account, and fyi, you would want to make them 'hidden' so that you can still link to the image, but thats all anyone can see. Just the single image.

    A how to album on how to make albums... - Album on Imgur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •