Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Smart ass TV

  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,520

    Smart ass TV

    Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but her indoors has been banging on about getting one of these. I can sort of see the advantage now that true vision has fucked up all my movie channels( my provider called on Friday telling me I needed to renew, told em to blow it out there ass. Will cost about $1000 for a big fooker here in Vientiane. Used to buy all my electronics across the border in nongkhai but now the Lao,s are being funny fuckers at the customs inspection, electronics aren't as expensive as they were before in Lao anyway, anyone using the smart ass tv, what are the advantages?

  2. #2
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    23,452
    Sure, this isn't 1960 bud.


    Never use mine as a Smart TV, have it connected to my PC with is really a media center, with 5.1 surround sound and wireless mouse n keyboard. Use a 50inch FHD for that and 65inch for the living room for TV stuff, that's hardly ever used.

    Next one will be a flat (not curved) 65inch UHD.

    Go for one of them bud.

  3. #3
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    23,452
    Here's a 55inch UHD for 36k baht.

    SAMSUNG UHD SMART TV TV 55" UA55KU6000KXXT >ITCITYONLINE

    Make sure to go for UHD and not FHD in this day and age.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    jimbobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Location
    Phon Thong (Roi et)
    Posts
    1,937
    Not worth a wank mate
    I have one in the UK I use my laptop when I am watching it
    There must be better ways to get all the channels

  5. #5
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    23,452
    ^ Hook up a PC with use it as a media center, if you download most of what you watch.

    ilikehd for live sports and yer all good.

  6. #6
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask the question but her indoors has been banging on about getting one of these. I can sort of see the advantage now that true vision has fucked up all my movie channels( my provider called on Friday telling me I needed to renew, told em to blow it out there ass. Will cost about $1000 for a big fooker here in Vientiane. Used to buy all my electronics across the border in nongkhai but now the Lao,s are being funny fuckers at the customs inspection, electronics aren't as expensive as they were before in Lao anyway, anyone using the smart ass tv, what are the advantages?
    What about an apple TV or Amazon Fire TV? Little devices you plug into your current TV (if it has an HDMI port) and which turns them into powerful smart TVs. Cost about 100USD each. Biggest issue might be having enough bandwidth to get decent pictures.

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-Fire...T2/ref=sr_1_2?

    Apple[at]TV - Apple (UK)
    The Above Post May Contain Strong Language, Flashing Lights, or Violent Scenes.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 AM
    Posts
    26,069
    The smart money is right here Lao,

    Ya buy the biggest mother fuker TV you can afford.

    The minimum these days must be 60-65, Tellis these days are plummeting in price yearly so go big hard cock. Don't Fook around Eh.

    Must go " Smart " so ya can watch Scottish porn and drug use on You-Tube.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Sure, this isn't 1960 bud.


    .
    it sure feels like it in vientiane

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    The smart money is right here Lao,

    Ya buy the biggest mother fuker TV you can afford.

    The minimum these days must be 60-65, Tellis these days are plummeting in price yearly so go big hard cock. Don't Fook around Eh.

    Must go " Smart " so ya can watch Scottish porn and drug use on You-Tube.
    Havent had the stomach for Scottish porn since I saw begbie shagging a goat on you tube once.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Here's a 55inch UHD for 36k baht.

    SAMSUNG UHD SMART TV TV 55" UA55KU6000KXXT >ITCITYONLINE

    Make sure to go for UHD and not FHD in this day and age.
    what is UHD?

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 AM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    8,077
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Here's a 55inch UHD for 36k baht.

    SAMSUNG UHD SMART TV TV 55" UA55KU6000KXXT >ITCITYONLINE

    Make sure to go for UHD and not FHD in this day and age.
    what is UHD?
    Funny, I knew that UHD - Ultra High Definition, but didn't know, till I looked it up that FHD meant Full High Definition.

    Then there's '4k' ... but that's sort of Home Theatre sort of stuff.

  12. #12
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by beerlaodrinker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Here's a 55inch UHD for 36k baht.

    SAMSUNG UHD SMART TV TV 55" UA55KU6000KXXT >ITCITYONLINE

    Make sure to go for UHD and not FHD in this day and age.
    what is UHD?
    Ultra High Definition. Also known as 4K. Twice the definition of normal HD TV (2K). If you can get it a reasonable price then go for it, otherwise HD is fine for those of us with human eyes. There's also 8K UHDTV, don't worry about that one


    If you're on Lao internet I doubt a UHD TV is going to be much use to you, for 4K UHD streaming you need a steady and reliable 25Mb per second connection.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    jimbobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Location
    Phon Thong (Roi et)
    Posts
    1,937
    My TV is 4k in the living room
    And HD In the bedroom
    I cannot tell the difference I think it's a gimmick
    What I have found it they seem to be pushing the pic quality but the sound quality has gone really downhill
    I know there is surround sound but it is really a big con
    My TV in Thailand was 42000b and has packed in after 2 half years I think it's Samsung
    I would go for a bigger older style TV that is old enough to be reviewed tried and tested

  14. #14
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    23,452
    ^^ That's why ya hook up yer PC, download yer movies and series and watch.


    Shove the kids off to another room with an old tube TV and sesame street VHS videos.

  15. #15
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs
    What I have found it they seem to be pushing the pic quality but the sound quality has gone really downhill
    That's because there's no room for decent speakers in modern skinny TVs. External speakers, maybe a sound bar, are a must.

    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    That's why ya hook up yer PC, download yer movies and series and watch.
    Chromecast is your man there, then. Beam directly from the stash on your PC to the TV.

  16. #16
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    23,452
    UHD isn't 4k.

    It's close, but not quite. Though manufacturers somehow getaway with marketing them as such.

  17. #17
    'ello 'ello 'ello Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    23,452
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbobs View Post
    My TV is 4k in the living room
    And HD In the bedroom
    I cannot tell the difference I think it's a gimmick
    Is the resolution of what you're watching UHD?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 AM
    Posts
    12,130
    I have a 65 inch curved smart Samsung TV here in the UK think cost about 1400, bloody brilliant and with the Amazon fire stick loaded with Kodi everything for free bar my monthly broadband subscription. With curved TVs if thinking about one have to go for 65 inch or bigger to get the real benefit if too big for you stick with a flat screen.

  19. #19
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    17,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    UHD isn't 4k.

    It's close, but not quite. Though manufacturers somehow getaway with marketing them as such.

    There are two 4K standards, DCI - which is probably what you're referring to - and UHD. DCI doesn't support TV aspect ratios which is why it's not used on TVs.

    The 4K standard covers more than one resolution.

    UHD-1 is the 4K standard for TV. There are different versions of 4K but for UHD TV it's correct to refer to 4K UHD1 as 4K, in this case that means 3840 x 2160 pixels which is 4 times full HD.

    DCI is higher resolution than 4K UHD but they are still both 4K.

    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    I have a 65 inch curved smart Samsung TV here in the UK think cost about 1400, bloody brilliant and with the Amazon fire stick loaded with Kodi everything for free bar my monthly broadband subscription.
    Fire stick is HD only though. The Fire TV box, which I've been promised will arrive on the 5th of March, is UHD.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    jimbobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Location
    Phon Thong (Roi et)
    Posts
    1,937
    I got my cousin who is a tech nerd to set everything up
    Not impressed mate, it's all fibre delivered from BT

    Bob I bought a Yamaha sound bar for 550 to be honest they can be quite annoying
    It's cinema sound even on the adverts
    Maybe I'm a miserable old git , but I was happy with a normal TV

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat
    beerlaodrinker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:15 PM
    Location
    vientiane
    Posts
    6,520
    All good, I'm now armed with enough info, the missus knows about as much as me about these smart asses, better make sure I go with her though

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    VocalNeal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:08 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,215
    ^ There is a scientific size distance relationship so the TV should be sized for the room.

    Don't fall into the numbers game. Figure out here you want it and how far away you will sit and buy the one that suits, you don't need to go bigger despite what bar braggers may say.



    This is just one chart there are more. Also don't forget that content is very important. No point watching absolute garbage on a giant TV. I'm happy with good stuff on a relatively small TV using sneaker net!
    Better to think inside the pub, than outside the box?
    I apologize if any offence was caused. unless it was intended.
    You people, you think I know feck nothing; I tell you: I know feck all
    Those who cannot change their mind, cannot change anything.

  23. #23
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    59,745
    Don't bother buying a Smart TV, they are a premium for something you don't need.

    Buy a bigger dumb TV for the same money and get an Android box.

    Fire TV box is good enough for what you want.

    4K won't be much use for a few years where you are, there isn't the content and you probably don't have the bandwidth either.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    jimbobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    29-07-2017 @ 04:31 AM
    Location
    Phon Thong (Roi et)
    Posts
    1,937
    ^ agreed
    Mine is a waste of money , it is just another thing I have overpaid for

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    7,599
    I've smart tv and don't use it I use the amazon fire stick with kodi on it , just wasted my money on the smart tv .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •