Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Munted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    29-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Location
    Nmbr. 38
    Posts
    1,032

    Computer CRISIS!

    Hey guys

    The landlord has cut AC power to my mobile home - BASTARD! I am now on DC and writing this on an Asus EEPC which runs on 9.5 volts DC.

    To the techs on the forum I will ask this question.

    I have two 12v batteries. One battery I am using now. When this battery's terminal voltage gets down to 12v I will then switch the battery in my car with this battery I am now using. I will then use that battery from my car for my house power until it too is depleted to 12v. By which time my original battery will be charged via my car alternator and will be ready for house service. So I will swap again & the process continues until the time a battery does not start the car. Then it will be time to throw that particular battery.. Is this a good plan?
    "The urge to destroy is also a creative urge." Mikhail Bakunin.


  2. #2
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Wouldn't a better plan be to sort out the problem with the landlord?

  3. #3
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    22-08-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    Pay the Old Bill

    and Dr Bob's yer uncle

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    bsnub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    18,511
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    Wouldn't a better plan be to sort out the problem with the landlord?
    Umm yes.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Munted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    29-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Location
    Nmbr. 38
    Posts
    1,032
    It's complicated. The setup here is that the power supply to five leased units is routed through one of them

    The one s refusing to pay the power charge.

    The dispute is between the landlord and the one but the others downstream don't get any AC until the dispute is solved.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,692
    Theoretically, car batteries are fully charged at 12.6 volts. But if you take it straight off a charger and test with a multimeter it might read 13 volts.

    When they are discharged, they are about 12.2 or 12.3 volts. More than 12 volts, anyway.


    They don't like being fully discharged repeatedly. If you want to do that, you need to buy a special type of battery called a "deep cycle" battery. This is the type that people with solar power use.

    The way to get around this is to swap the two batteries between car and caravan as often as possible : perhaps once a day (depending on how much you have used / drained the battery in your caravan, which you can check with your voltmeter).
    This is so you are only draining it by something like a fifth (just a figure off the top of my head) and not "cycling" it up and down too much..

    If you don't use your car every day you, one alternative might be to find a local person with a battery charger and mains power to put it on charge (for an hour or 3) and pay them a few bucks at the end of the month. But this is not so practical....you'd have to put it on charge often.
    Last edited by Latindancer; 23-09-2016 at 03:56 PM.

  7. #7
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Munted View Post
    It's complicated. The setup here is that the power supply to five leased units is routed through one of them

    The one s refusing to pay the power charge.

    The dispute is between the landlord and the one but the others downstream don't get any AC until the dispute is solved.
    If you live in a civilized country, you could sue the landlord for breach of contract, along with all the others who are being wrongfully denied power due to a conflict not of their making.

  8. #8
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Munted View Post
    Hey guys

    The landlord has cut AC power to my mobile home - BASTARD! I am now on DC and writing this on an Asus EEPC which runs on 9.5 volts DC.

    To the techs on the forum I will ask this question.

    I have two 12v batteries. One battery I am using now. When this battery's terminal voltage gets down to 12v I will then switch the battery in my car with this battery I am now using. I will then use that battery from my car for my house power until it too is depleted to 12v. By which time my original battery will be charged via my car alternator and will be ready for house service. So I will swap again & the process continues until the time a battery does not start the car. Then it will be time to throw that particular battery.. Is this a good plan?

    Get a 12v solar panel.

    Euros 15.51 on e-bay.

  9. #9
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    ^Or a small generator.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,269
    Quote Originally Posted by Munted
    AC power to my mobile home - BASTARD! I am now on DC

  11. #11
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    ^Helpful......

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Munted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    29-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Location
    Nmbr. 38
    Posts
    1,032
    Yes I have a monitor on the terminals which will alert me when the voltage is 12 V. I will then switch this battery to the car ( and expect it to start the car at that terminal voltage). The charged battery from the car then goes gets plugged into the house supply. And so forth until one or the other fails.

    Question. Will I save money doing it this way or will I be best to buy a deep cycle battery which will sustain more recharge cycles in the long run?

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:32 PM
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,692
    I'm not an expert but I think 12 v is too low to let it go. Keep it up as far as possible.


    A solar panel is actually probably the best. It would recharge during the day, for free.

    You can buy cheap ones from some electronics outlets.

    Here in Oz we have Jaycar. You might be surprised at how cheap they now are.


    Surely the issue will be resolved soon ? If so, you will then be lumped with a deep cycle battery.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Munted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    29-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Location
    Nmbr. 38
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis Knowlton
    If you live in a civilized country, you could sue the landlord for breach of contract, along with all the others who are being wrongfully denied power due to a conflict not of their making.
    I do live in a civilized country, at least I like to think so. I am about to engage Mr Warwick Reid who definitely has the balls to harass this arsehole. But it is a civil case which in the meantime means I have to make do...

  15. #15
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Quote Originally Posted by Munted View Post
    Yes I have a monitor on the terminals which will alert me when the voltage is 12 V. I will then switch this battery to the car ( and expect it to start the car at that terminal voltage). The charged battery from the car then goes gets plugged into the house supply. And so forth until one or the other fails.

    Question. Will I save money doing it this way or will I be best to buy a deep cycle battery which will sustain more recharge cycles in the long run?
    I used to have two deep cycle 12v batteries to start my bus and kept them topped up with a 12 v solar panel off road. Never a problem for years.

    Had a 50 Htz petrol driven 240v generator too, that'd fire up for the washing machine, run power tools and charge the batteries if need be.

  16. #16
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,541
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer
    12 v is too low to let it go
    12 v is too low

    if you are outside Thai , ( with its excessive customs ) , and you intend to live in the mobile humpy for a while , an extra battery , solar panel , regulator and maybe a 12v battcharger could take care of your needs

    I was looking at a bat charger / 500 VA inverter combo today for 2600 baht which would work well in a place with intermittant power supply

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Munted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    29-07-2019 @ 04:35 PM
    Location
    Nmbr. 38
    Posts
    1,032
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT
    I used to have two deep cycle 12v batteries
    Sure I have a $K readily available right now


    I am forced to my solution though I hope the batteries will fail before the warranties are expired.

  18. #18
    ENT
    ENT is offline
    god
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Bangladesh
    Posts
    28,220
    Just use the batteries you have and get a cheap solar panel, well under $300, buying in Thailand.

  19. #19
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,541
    Quote Originally Posted by ENT
    you have and get a cheap solar panel
    and regulator - 20 dollars
    and wire and lugs - 10 dollars

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Posts
    26,070
    Here is my Deep cycle Battery which sits in the back of my Wagon. It is wired into my Alternator and charges when ever the motor is cranked. It's only job is to run my old Engel fridge which draws 1.5 A-H when running. The battery is 120 A-H, come with a 5 warranty which is now 4 years in no problems. $ 280 4 years ago. Sits on a trickle charge when I'm here in Thailand. I also carry a 120 Amp Solar panel which I'm yet to use. Run your little Asus for 15 years I recon. . Well worth investing in a Deep Cycle battery if ya guna use it.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:51 PM
    Posts
    26,070
    It runs this.

  22. #22
    Pronce. PH said so AGAIN!
    slackula's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a slipping mask of sanity in Phuket.
    Posts
    9,093
    Do you have a land-line phone?

    You can nab electricity off that in a pinch but I can't remember how much voltage is available.

  23. #23
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,541
    Quote Originally Posted by slackula
    is available
    I thought I have measured before 70-75 DC , but not sure on the current

    How to Get Emergency Power from a Phone Line

  24. #24
    Custom user Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,377
    How do you plan to use the battery from your car for your house power?

  25. #25
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    22-08-2019 @ 09:19 PM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    Dear Khvn Munted where do you live, we could send the illuninati round but they haven't much presence in the Land Of Bungs.

    Do you really plan to live of grid for months solar is the way if you think the costs and technology are in your grasp

    Plan B a tire iron often clarifies your position
    I used to have a job at a calendar factory.
    I got the sack because
    I took a couple of days off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •