Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823

    What is your favourite biscuit?

    I love the Garibaldi



    The Garibaldi biscuit was first manufactured by the Bermondsey biscuit company Peek Freans in 1861. It followed the recruitment of one of the great biscuit makers of Scotland, John Carr. It consists of currants squashed between two thin, rectangular biscuits - a currant sandwich. It has a golden brown, glazed appearance. Garibaldi biscuits are also known by the dysphemically-inclined as squashed fly biscuits, because the squashed fruit were said to resemble dead flies. When bought in supermarkets in the UK, they often come in four strips of five biscuits each. An unusual, yet increasingly popular, method of eating the Garibaldi is to put the strips of biscuits into a toaster to heat them through before serving.

    Garibaldi biscuits were named after Giuseppe Garibaldi, an Italian general and leader of the fight to unify Italy, who made a popular visit to England.

  2. #2
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    We call them something else but I can think now what.

    Wally or KingW?

  3. #3
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    McVities's digestive, but they must be fresh.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    We call them something else but I can think now what.

    Wally or KingW?
    leave me out of it ! i dont wanna be associated with squirly's biscuit threads

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823


    Pure class in a biscuit, the fruit shortcake delivers a great deal of biscuit punch for a mid range biscuit, which is often seen as a low end biscuit.

    The clever distribution of fruit and the crust of sugar granules which ramps up the sugar content make this quite unlike any other shortcake based biscuit. The unwary biscuit eater may easily work their way through half a packet of these beguiling little biscuits before they realise it.

    The edge detail and the patterning on the back also serve to give this biscuit an almost frilly, harmless look that is very disarming, and again can lead to very high numbers of biscuits being consumed.

    Best eaten alone, to avoid ugly scenes as you fight over the last one.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823


    The HobNob is another biscuit that I've had lots of emails about. Building on the oat genre that McVities created ten years earlier with the Abbey Crunch, McVities kicked off the 80's with a blitz of exciting new oat biscuits and created a classic over night.

    Plain HobNobs were quickly followed by milk chocolate and then plain chocolate and some time later HobNob bars, the versatile oat biscuit following the footsteps of its older stablemate the Digestive.

    Having many of the same ingredients as a flapjack HobNobs are very tasty, and their rustic outline gives them a lovely informal nature, making them an ideal ice breaker at say a romantic biscuit moment. Chocolate varieties are especially useful here indeed



    NiceCupOfTeaAndASitDown.com has been deluged by your mails urging us for a Jammie Dodger review. So here it is, but don't expect us to go easy on it just because it is held in deep affection by you lot.

    Jammie Dodgers are made by Burton's biscuits, who produce a wide range of biscuits but are best known for their highly individual brands like Jammie Dodgers, Waggon Wheels and Viscount, all iconic biscuits and brands in their own rights.

    Jammie Dodgers, are simple in concept a sandwich of 'jam' and two shortcake biscuits with a heart shaped whole in the upper biscuit to reveal the jam. The Jam is billed as raspberry flavour but is infact made from plums and assorted chemicals, presumably because actual raspberry jam wasn't up to the biscuit engineering task of adhering the two biscuits together. This also makes attempts to part both biscuits somewhat futile, due to the adhesive jam.

    The biscuit itself has undergone some changes. Recently they have become somewhat paler in colour, and with this slightly softer. Also the original heart shaped embossing has been replaced by jammy splashes so as to reinforce to the eater that jam plays a pivotal role in this biscuit. The heart shaped hole now seems like a throw back to a earlier time in the headlong rush to reposition the biscuit, with old references to the Queen of Hearts baking some tarts being consigned to the biscuits tins of history.

    Recent promotional schemes dreamed up by Saatchi and Saatchi involving mythical Jam Wrestlers, frankly did little to bring this classic brand to new generation of biscuit eaters. It was all a bit crap really, let the biscuit speak for itself, that's what we say.

  8. #8
    I am in Jail
    Lily's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    14-05-2014 @ 05:06 PM
    Posts
    6,815
    I cant see your pics.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Just to help CMN make a choice:-

    SOGGY BISCUIT SHOWDOWN

    You know the drill—pantless pledges gathered around, each breathlessly racing to make sure he's not the last to spill seed, lest he be the sorry chump forced to wolf down the dreaded Soggy Biscuit. It's a time-tested bonding ceremony, but with so many options in the cracker aisle these days, how's a busy Pledge Master to choose the best starch for his hungry up-and-comers? Well look no further...

    PREMIUM®: It may have tradition on its side, but this Hell Week old standard comes up, well, soggy. We found that even under moderate loads of pledge jelly, Saltines had a bummer tendency to liquefy, necessitating consumption via fork and spoon. Lame. RATING:
    RITZ® CRACKERS: A longtime favorite on mid-western campuses, we found this buttery classic's good reputation to be well-earned. Testers noted that Ritz maintained its light and flakey texture, despite punishing applications of hot Greek mayonnaise. RATING:
    WHEAT THINS®: Sandy Duncan may not know it, but this little cracker of hers just won a seat on the Soggy Biscuit Senate. Earning high points for flavor, density, and carbo-load, little Wheatie here might have been Emperor, if only he weren't such a runt. RATING:
    CARR'S® CRACKED PEPPER & SESAME: It may come from the fancy-assed cheese & cracker bin, but Carr's is OK stuff. This is a big, tough cracker—offering acres of real estate that holds up well under high-volume jizz discharge. And pledges report its peppery zing helps cuts down on gagging a full 37%. RATING:
    WINNER!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823


    Many events have conspired to bring you this biscuit review, a bit like the recent alignment of planets. Maybe this was even one of them! Having never before eaten a Boaster I had a certain inexplicable adversion to them, perhaps due to their name, which seemed somewhat self assured. However the main contributing factors were a big recommendation from biscuit enthusiast Mandy, several tip off emails, and mainly the fact that the NiceCupOfTeaAndASitDown.com Wife (email her as thewife) bought a pack.

    So what are we to say of these biccys? Well they are clearly luxury jobs and have the inevitable air that you are going to eat the lot in one sitting. One of the most impressive things about them is surely their individual shaping, with each biscuit looking like its been hand made. Generous large chunks of Belgian chocolate embedded in their crisp buttery biscuit, just contribute to the systematic consumption of the whole packet, which after all only contains a paltry nine biscuits. There were a few raisins in there as well which would have worked well on their own regardless of the choc chips.

    So all in all a very tasty treat, but certainly not an everyday biscuit.



    When in Ireland the other week we visited the closest point to Scotland, and as we gazed out across the Irish sea towards the Mull of Kintyre, my mind turned to thoughts of Scottish fayre, of deep fried mini pizzas and Mars bars and of Tea Cakes.

    The overlord of the Tea Cakes is the Tunnocks which registers a Victoria Plum, possibly a Clemetine on the fruit and nut scale of measurement, intimidating its Walnut sized competitors. While on the subject of competitors, they all seem to need intricate plastic trays to protect their puny chocolate shells, whilst the Tunnocks makes do with a bit of tin foil and cardboard box.

    What really sets the Tunnocks apart from its Tea Cake brethren is its marshmallow which is based on egg white rather than gelatine. This gives it a consistency somewhere between shaving foam and bath sealant. The process that actually places this stuff on the biscuit base and then covers it in chocolate must be a miracle of biscuit engineering given the super sticky nature of the mallow. The fact that the Tea Cakes exist means that there isn't a machine somewhere Scotland buried under a mountain of proto-tea cake gunge.

    Finally we must note that the Tunnocks contains no jam, which again I assume is a level of extra gunge that would push their manufacture into the realms of fantasy.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel


    The HobNob is another biscuit that I've had lots of emails about. Building on the oat genre that McVities created ten years earlier with the Abbey Crunch, McVities kicked off the 80's with a blitz of exciting new oat biscuits and created a classic over night.

    Plain HobNobs were quickly followed by milk chocolate and then plain chocolate and some time later HobNob bars, the versatile oat biscuit following the footsteps of its older stablemate the Digestive.

    Having many of the same ingredients as a flapjack HobNobs are very tasty, and their rustic outline gives them a lovely informal nature, making them an ideal ice breaker at say a romantic biscuit moment. Chocolate varieties are especially useful here indeed



    NiceCupOfTeaAndASitDown.com has been deluged by your mails urging us for a Jammie Dodger review. So here it is, but don't expect us to go easy on it just because it is held in deep affection by you lot.

    Jammie Dodgers are made by Burton's biscuits, who produce a wide range of biscuits but are best known for their highly individual brands like Jammie Dodgers, Waggon Wheels and Viscount, all iconic biscuits and brands in their own rights.

    Jammie Dodgers, are simple in concept a sandwich of 'jam' and two shortcake biscuits with a heart shaped whole in the upper biscuit to reveal the jam. The Jam is billed as raspberry flavour but is infact made from plums and assorted chemicals, presumably because actual raspberry jam wasn't up to the biscuit engineering task of adhering the two biscuits together. This also makes attempts to part both biscuits somewhat futile, due to the adhesive jam.

    The biscuit itself has undergone some changes. Recently they have become somewhat paler in colour, and with this slightly softer. Also the original heart shaped embossing has been replaced by jammy splashes so as to reinforce to the eater that jam plays a pivotal role in this biscuit. The heart shaped hole now seems like a throw back to a earlier time in the headlong rush to reposition the biscuit, with old references to the Queen of Hearts baking some tarts being consigned to the biscuits tins of history.

    Recent promotional schemes dreamed up by Saatchi and Saatchi involving mythical Jam Wrestlers, frankly did little to bring this classic brand to new generation of biscuit eaters. It was all a bit crap really, let the biscuit speak for itself, that's what we say.

    Squirly - Ru cutting and pasting this shite ? with some minor modicfications such as the word crap inserted!

    it reads like promotional material!

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    maintained its light and flakey texture, despite punishing applications of hot Greek mayonnaise.
    YUCK !

    oh way do i click on any thread by squirly !

    i should know better!

    i should

    i should

    i shoiuld!

  13. #13
    IV
    Wally Dorian Raffles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    30-07-2019 @ 12:09 PM
    Location
    Location: Location: Three sausages went to the station, and wound up at immigration!
    Posts
    5,499
    You'll never get 60 replies to this crappy thread, quirrel...

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel


    Many events have conspired to bring you this biscuit review, a bit like the recent alignment of planets.

    The fact that the Tea Cakes exist means that there isn't a machine somewhere Scotland buried under a mountain of proto-tea cake gunge.

    Finally we must note that the Tunnocks contains no jam, which again I assume is a level of extra gunge that would push their manufacture into the realms of fantasy.
    Your meds have worn off bro !

    or you on some of that latest columbian stuff which has just made its way into BKK......

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat reinvented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:56 PM
    Location
    top of soi 2
    Posts
    1,777
    Jaffa cakes or chocolate hob nobs

  16. #16
    RIP
    Propagator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    08-09-2010 @ 02:48 PM
    Location
    Runcorn, Cheshire, UK formerly Epsom Surrey.
    Posts
    3,366
    Jaffa cakes for me. Dont buy them too often as I eat the lot as soon as I get home. But are they a biscuit? or as the name implies a cake.

  17. #17
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    In this climate I'm afraid Jaffa cakes, chocolate hobnobs or chocolate digestives just aren't up to scratch. Better a Jacobs cracker and cheese with no mayonnaise.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    I have to agree that you can't beat a good McVities digestive (plain)

    and those fruit shortcakes go down well

    but the best, the really best, must be the Ships biscuit, complete with weevils

  19. #19
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    This one's a real thread of the week contender!!!
    Last edited by NickA; 22-05-2006 at 09:54 PM.

  20. #20
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    What the f's going on?

    Who moved this thread here? I've been looking for it for ages!!!

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    NickA you prick you had it moved.

    Revenge will be mine

  22. #22
    Whopping Member
    benbaaa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    06-06-2017 @ 03:52 PM
    Location
    In the comfy chair
    Posts
    5,549
    I like a nice Rich Tea but I can't find them over here. I've got some McVities Chocolate Digestives for the occasional (expensive) treat, but I keep them in a high cupboard out of reach 'cos you never know when CMN will pop round.

  23. #23
    This is not my avatar
    NickA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,204
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel
    NickA you prick you had it moved. Revenge will be mine
    It helps to have friends in high places, just make sure your threads go in the right place in future - you have been warned.

    The judges decision is final

    BTW - I like a nice jammy dodger, it reminds me of special times with a friend.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •