Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Canadian Bacon

  1. #1
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471

    Canadian Bacon

    I started to cure some Canadian Bacon [6 KG] this morning, no pics tho as the batterys in my camera are flat as last weeks pancakes.
    But there ain't much to see, just rub in the cure[tender quick] and the sugar and garlic powder and get in the fridge, but now in a week I will take pics as it is going in the smoker, and thru the smoking process.

  2. #2
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    You got it, dude.

  3. #3
    Hello World
    melvbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Infinite Loop
    Posts
    5,931
    Im looking forward to this one, the wife is too.

  4. #4
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Yea, Loin was 125 this morning, but I had a lot of work cleaning it up and cutting off the stuff on it that is not goodm sinew and fat and stuff, next time I will look over a few and pick the cleanest ones, I got a kilo and a half of trimmings that will be used in sausage.

  5. #5
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:19 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    8,194
    Where did you get a Canadian?

  6. #6
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    Hello...

  7. #7
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    They say that true canadian bacon is covered with a coat of cornmeal, damned if I ever saw that and I used to take some canadian bacon from upper Alberta to Alaska for friends when I drove freight truck for Tabor Trucking co. from Montana to Anchorage and Fairbanks when I was young in the early 50s.
    But anyway, due to the fact that it be later in the week before the cure is done on my pork loins, I am going to BBQ some ribs this weekend and might run a pic on here as this thread is not crowded.

  8. #8
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    About an hour into the cooking, if they are good I will give the rub I made up.


  9. #9
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    I know Tabor, AB.

  10. #10
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Gorgon
    I know Tabor, AB.
    No, you don't. If you did know it you would spell it correctly. Taber.

  11. #11
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Gorgon
    I know Tabor, AB.
    George or Howard??

  12. #12
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    22-11-2011 @ 08:27 AM
    Location
    Christian Country
    Posts
    15,020
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Gorgon
    I know Tabor, AB.
    No, you don't. If you did know it you would spell it correctly. Taber.
    Oh, ya! That's why I lost the spelling bee.

  13. #13
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    I used green mango wood as I needed to cut a limb that was going over the fence, and I used it to smoke the Ribs and I do like it a lot better than Tamarind, at last green it is a very mild smoke, I will try to get some that is dry and then give it a good test.

  14. #14
    RIP
    blackgang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    08-07-2010 @ 08:33 PM
    Location
    Phetchabun city
    Posts
    15,471
    OK, Here it is, in at 0800 and done at 1500,, did this with Cherry and apple chips, will try the mango on something else as there is a 1000 baht worth of meat here plus the work of getting it in the smoker,, so not any more experiments here than just have to.
    When it cools some will get it in the fridge and give the part that was asked for to a friend.




  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    13-01-2016 @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    1,358
    ^How did it taste?

    That does not look like Canadian bacon. Sorry, but Canadian bacon is called back bacon. It has peameal on it.



    Although, we mostly eat this type of bacon. The crispier the better.


  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    30-07-2019 @ 03:47 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,807
    In the United States, “Canadian bacon” is a salted and cured meat much like conventional bacon. In much of Canada and Great Britain, however, “Canadian bacon” is an entirely different food, cured and treated in a different way before sale. Availability of the two different types of bacon varies, depending on one's location.

    In flavor, appearance, and texture, Canadian bacon is closer to ham than it is to bacon. The meat is lean, slightly sweet, and juicy. Unlike regular bacon, Canadian bacon does not crisp up in its own fat while it is being cooked. The meat is meant to be served in a soft, juicy stage of cooking, and it will be dry and tasteless if it is allowed to crisp up. It is also usually served in thicker wedges than those used for conventional bacon

    The cured pork product which Americans know as Canadian bacon is usually called back bacon in other parts of the world. It is made from the loin cut, which is in the center of the pig's back. As a result, the bacon is much leaner than conventional bacon. Back bacon is prepared in the same way as conventional bacon, with a salting and smoking process intended to cure the meat. Slightly more sugar is usually used, lending a sweet quality to Canadian bacon.

    What is Canadian Bacon?

    So, for the non Amerkins, what BG is making there is 'back bacon'. Looks good though- you have a lot of fun with that smoker.
    probes Aliens

  17. #17
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Last Online
    31-07-2009 @ 01:13 PM
    Location
    amidst dogs and ducks
    Posts
    2,688
    Looks like Kassler:

  18. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Last Online
    13-01-2016 @ 09:11 AM
    Posts
    1,358
    Quote Originally Posted by sabang View Post
    In the United States, “Canadian bacon” is a salted and cured meat much like conventional bacon. In much of Canada and Great Britain, however, “Canadian bacon” is an entirely different food, cured and treated in a different way before sale. Availability of the two different types of bacon varies, depending on one's location.

    In flavor, appearance, and texture, Canadian bacon is closer to ham than it is to bacon. The meat is lean, slightly sweet, and juicy. Unlike regular bacon, Canadian bacon does not crisp up in its own fat while it is being cooked. The meat is meant to be served in a soft, juicy stage of cooking, and it will be dry and tasteless if it is allowed to crisp up. It is also usually served in thicker wedges than those used for conventional bacon

    The cured pork product which Americans know as Canadian bacon is usually called back bacon in other parts of the world. It is made from the loin cut, which is in the center of the pig's back. As a result, the bacon is much leaner than conventional bacon. Back bacon is prepared in the same way as conventional bacon, with a salting and smoking process intended to cure the meat. Slightly more sugar is usually used, lending a sweet quality to Canadian bacon.

    What is Canadian Bacon?

    So, for the non Amerkins, what BG is making there is 'back bacon'. Looks good though- you have a lot of fun with that smoker.
    Yes, that's what I said..backbacon. Straight from a sweet Canadians mouth, not from just any website. (it is quite detailed though)

    When I saw the title of the thread, I thought he was talking about the movie with John Candy, and Dan Akroyd, titled "Canadian Bacon."


  19. #19
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Online
    28-12-2008 @ 06:39 PM
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by blackgang View Post
    OK, Here it is, in at 0800 and done at 1500,, did this with Cherry and apple chips, will try the mango on something else as there is a 1000 baht worth of meat here plus the work of getting it in the smoker,, so not any more experiments here than just have to.
    When it cools some will get it in the fridge and give the part that was asked for to a friend.



    Looks really good and sizzling hot!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •