Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778

    Beer in Malaysia

    For a quasi muslim country good beer sure is available.
    In Thailand I just about gave up drinking beer because of the poor quality.

    Here in KL I've discovered the Carlsberg special brew 8.8% and of course the Guinness 8.0%. From the 320ml can poured into a nice glass. Very drinkable me thinks. Not cheap but at least it's good. Couple that with some tasty indian food and life is quite tolerable.
    I still can't wait to get back to Thailand. But all in all it ain't half bad here. Even the muslim ladies are pretty friendly.
    The internet is faster here too. Less police screening probably.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    For a quasi muslim country good beer sure is available.
    In Thailand I just about gave up drinking beer because of the poor quality.

    Here in KL I've discovered the Carlsberg special brew 8.8% and of course the Guinness 8.0%. From the 320ml can poured into a nice glass. Very drinkable me thinks. Not cheap but at least it's good. Couple that with some tasty indian food and life is quite tolerable.
    I still can't wait to get back to Thailand. But all in all it ain't half bad here. Even the muslim ladies are pretty friendly.
    The internet is faster here too. Less police screening probably.
    I lived in Malaysia for 2 years and I agree that the food and the beer is better than Thailand. Better variety but more expensive for the beer anyway. But in general the people are rude and unsociable and the expats like those in Singapore are up their own arses. Residents both Thai and Expats are much more friendly and easy going here.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Whiteshiva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Online
    29-05-2019 @ 04:45 AM
    Location
    Nontaburi
    Posts
    4,632
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    For a quasi muslim country good beer sure is available.
    In Thailand I just about gave up drinking beer because of the poor quality.

    Here in KL I've discovered the Carlsberg special brew 8.8% and of course the Guinness 8.0%. From the 320ml can poured into a nice glass. Very drinkable me thinks. Not cheap but at least it's good. Couple that with some tasty indian food and life is quite tolerable.
    I still can't wait to get back to Thailand. But all in all it ain't half bad here. Even the muslim ladies are pretty friendly.
    The internet is faster here too. Less police screening probably.
    I lived in Malaysia for 2 years and I agree that the food and the beer is better than Thailand. Better variety but more expensive for the beer anyway. But in general the people are rude and unsociable and the expats like those in Singapore are up their own arses. Residents both Thai and Expats are much more friendly and easy going here.
    I lived in Malaysia, and travelled extensively around the country, both on the penninsula and in Sarawak - and I found the Malaysians in general to be some of the nicest people I have ever met. Speaking the local lingua and taking a general interest in the history, religion and culture may have been what made the difference. Oh yeah - and having a local girlfriend Dunno about the expats, the few I worked with were OK.

    I guess we didn't hang out in the same places, PP....
    Any error in tact, fact or spelling is purely due to transmissional errors...

  4. #4
    born of a jackal
    colourful-era's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    15-07-2008 @ 06:05 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    The internet is faster here too. Less police screening probably.

    I found when I went to Penang that most cyber-cafes couldn't connect to the TD - that's no good is it!

  5. #5
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    I lived in Malaysia for 2 years and I agree that the food and the beer is better than Thailand. Better variety but more expensive for the beer anyway. But in general the people are rude and unsociable and the expats like those in Singapore are up their own arses. Residents both Thai and Expats are much more friendly and easy going here.

    I like the food mostly in Thailand. It's mainly the lack of good inexpensive indian food. Though I like the Malay style food too.

    God I'm craving that Carlsberg special 8.8. But you're right at 6 ringit a can in the grocery stores it's a little pricy.

    Generally I was very happy to get home to Patong.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 PM
    Posts
    9,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpan
    I lived in Malaysia for 2 years and I agree that the food and the beer is better than Thailand. Better variety but more expensive for the beer anyway. But in general the people are rude and unsociable and the expats like those in Singapore are up their own arses. Residents both Thai and Expats are much more friendly and easy going here.

    I like the food mostly in Thailand. It's mainly the lack of good inexpensive indian food. Though I like the Malay style food too.

    God I'm craving that Carlsberg special 8.8. But you're right at 6 ringit a can in the grocery stores it's a little pricy.

    Generally I was very happy to get home to Patong.
    Only been to penang on a Visa thingie.My eyes did light up like a xmas tree when I saw the 8.8% carlsberg in the supermarket.

    The Indian food wis great too.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Skulldigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    20-02-2007 @ 09:51 PM
    Location
    Mostly in Northern Thailand.
    Posts
    1,449
    If you like Carlsberg Elefant you should try Koff and Lapinkulta, Little Chuchok. Both of them high alcoholic content beer.

  8. #8
    Not a Mod.
    Begbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Lagrangian Point
    Posts
    11,369
    Lapinkulta, I wonder who drank that stuff. I drank it a while back when I could get it cheap. It's fairly awful.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Skulldigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Online
    20-02-2007 @ 09:51 PM
    Location
    Mostly in Northern Thailand.
    Posts
    1,449
    Never said I liked it, just that I think Little Chuchoke might, given how it is pretty strong and is not shy to let the alcohol come through in the taste.

  10. #10
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778
    That carlberg special is dangerous because it tastes good too.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:03 PM
    Posts
    9,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    That carlberg special is dangerous because it tastes good too.
    They are bloody nice.(The kick is good too.)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •