Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 162
  1. #1
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:33 PM
    Posts
    27,804

    What is the best cooking oil on the market?

    Good afternoon.

    Whilst my wife is a great cook able to produce delicious and varied cuisine she uses a cooking oil which smells strange particularly when she is frying eggs, bacon and particularly chips. The chips have a strange flavour which is not a favourite of mine.

    As I am a complete novice in the kitchen I cannot make any suggestions to her so I ask the experienced kitchen hands here what is the best oil to fry good old fashioned fish and chips in?

    Thanks in advance for your advice.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    5,771
    Best? ... humm, not so sure.

    Best Value ... well, this is up there.



    คิงน้ำมันรำข้าวชนิดโอรีซานอลสูง 1ลิตร

    Rice Barn Oil, good value and certainly a step above Palm Oil

    Chemist mate of mine reckons, value for money, it's the King of the Oils, on a cost comparative basis.

    In the West, it's all we use.

    Read about it here ... how-does-rice-bran-oil-compare-to-olive-oil
    .

    Our fingerprints never fade from the lives we touch

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    21-10-2018 @ 11:29 AM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,136
    Lard would be the best if you can find it, Pattaya you should be able to find the Lard.

  4. #4
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    4,409
    ^ Agree.

    For chips, lard beats the pants off anything (except duck fat).

    Doesn't matter too much for bacon and sausages because you only use a drizzle.

    --EDIT--

    Hopefully bump into you tomorrow LT.
    Last edited by Bogon; 11-06-2017 at 02:58 PM.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Who the fuck actually fries in lard ffs

    You guys fry french fries in straight up pig fat?

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:01 PM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    6,116
    Sunflower oil does for me.

  7. #7
    Can I still change this?
    Bogon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Posts
    4,409
    ^^ Not french fries. Chips.

    French fries are those stringy little bastards that don't take to vinegar.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    boloa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Surin
    Posts
    3,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi View Post
    Lard would be the best if you can find it, Pattaya you should be able to find the Lard.
    Yes...I would agree but I tend to use Olive Oil or a knob of Butter for all my cooking need.

    I steer clear of Vegetable and some of the other types of oils https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/comm...cer-nightmare/

  9. #9
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,820
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratchaburi View Post
    Lard would be the best if you can find it, Pattaya you should be able to find the Lard.
    Yes...I would agree but I tend to use Olive Oil or a knob of Butter for all my cooking need.

    I steer clear of Vegetable and some of the other types of oils https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/comm...cer-nightmare/
    Yeah - but olive oil has a low smoke point if I recall correctly. Not great for chips.

    For chips I would go with sunflower oil - high smoke point, and high monounsaturated fats.

    PS: by going over the olive oil smoke point, you are doing way more harm than good!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    snakeeyes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    pattaya
    Posts
    7,271
    Olive Extra Virgin Oil is the best and healthiest oil on the market the rest is heart attack oil ,

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:46 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    11,791
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa
    Yes...I would agree but I tend to use Olive Oil or a knob of Butter for all my cooking need.
    For some things requiring lower temperatures that works but for frying at high temperatures you need an oil that won't burn.

    I always use canola or sunflower oil because it is healthier than the soybean oil that is most widely available here. It also has no unpleasant odor.

  12. #12
    hangin' around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    13,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Who the fuck actually fries in lard ffs
    I know this will be difficult for you to process, but your life split between the rigs and isaan has actually left you somewhat behind the times.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:41 PM
    Posts
    9,293
    Used Canola oil for frying spuds in a pressure fryer.This was in a commercial premises. It was great with virtually no odor, as long as it was not too used/old.

    If you add some olive oil to some butter, it helps prevent burning...and tastes great.

    There is nothing better than beef dripping, though. (Lard)

    Certainly best for fish...or anything for that matter.

    There is huge debate now as to what is healthy and what is not. What turns into a transfat and what doesn't. In my parents day , they used lard.....and they seemed happier for it.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille
    I know this will be difficult for you to process, but your life split between the rigs and isaan has actually left you somewhat behind the times.
    Ive been on this earth long enough and eaten quite a lot of food considering I'm still alive, and I can't recall ever seeing someone plonk down a gob of lard & cook fucking french fries in it.

    I certainly haven't ever done it. Ill cook some eggs in the pan drippings from cooking bacon but thats about as far as I would go.

  15. #15
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,820
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Chuchok View Post
    In my parents day , they used lard.....and they seemed happier for it.
    I actually cannot recall what my mum used - but to this day I can remember "the chip pan". Great big encrusted thing, I honestly doubt it was ever emptied and washed - just topped up now and again....

  16. #16
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,820

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    boloa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Surin
    Posts
    3,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbert View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boloa
    Yes...I would agree but I tend to use Olive Oil or a knob of Butter for all my cooking need.
    For some things requiring lower temperatures that works but for frying at high temperatures you need an oil that won't burn.
    Buy the good stuff https://www.oliveoiltimes.com/olive-...live-oil/30470

  18. #18
    Custom Title Changer
    CSFFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:49 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by Loy Toy
    As I am a complete novice in the kitchen I cannot make any suggestions to her so I ask the experienced kitchen hands here what is the best oil to fry good old fashioned fish and chips in?
    I was going to suggest your integrity, as it's greasy enough, but if I was making fish and chips at home, I'd use coconut oil, if I could afford it, being a poor tefler after all.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    hick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Posts
    4,762
    You should vary your oils, imo - along with plenty of other things in life.

    I tend to swing back and forth from:

    canola, sesame, olive, coconut, butter and ghee.

  20. #20
    hangin' around cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    13,100
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan
    I was going to suggest your integrity, as it's greasy enough
    :loleaginous:

  21. #21
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    27,887
    I use corn or peanut oil. Bland and leaves no after taste. Avoid soybean oil. Leaves an after taste.
    Good old fashioned lard is the only proper frying oil to use for mexican food. Should work great for those crispy outside fluffy inside English style chips as well.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Digby Fantona's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    20-08-2018 @ 01:32 AM
    Posts
    1,078
    Groundnut oil for fish and chips. This is what the better professional fryers use.

  23. #23
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,820
    Quote Originally Posted by hick View Post
    You should vary your oils, imo - along with plenty of other things in life.

    I tend to swing back and forth from:

    canola, sesame, olive, coconut, butter and ghee.
    Sorry to disagree -but you should match your oils to what you are cooking.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    hick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Posts
    4,762
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFFan View Post
    I'd use coconut oil, if I could afford it, being a poor tefler after all.
    strip it off the trees out back

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat
    Takeovers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Location
    Berlin Germany
    Posts
    5,329
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes
    Olive Extra Virgin Oil is the best and healthiest oil on the market the rest is heart attack oil ,
    Best for salads. But totally unsuited for frying. Frying needs refined oil.

    For frying I usually use sunflower. Good quality.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •