Khuk Khi Kai


Chanthaburi

The notorious Khuk Khi Kai, just before Laem Sing beach, was built to hold Thais who were against the French occupation of Chanthaburi in 1893. A 7-metre high, square-shaped prison, it was built in bricks with each side measuring 4.40 metres. The walls were holed for ventilation. The porous roof is said to have been used as chicken coop through which the birds dropped their excrements.

Tuek Daeng


Tuek Daeng or Red Building near Khuk Khi Kai is the site of the Phikhat Patchamit Fort built in the reign of King Rama III. It was subsequently turned into living quarters and military command post by the French. A single storey, red-tiled roof building, today it serves as the Laem Sing district public library.

Khai Noen Wong


The ancient site of Khai Noen Wong, also at Tambon Bang Kacha, was established as the town in circa 1834 during the reign of King Rama III. The town was moved from Ban Lum to this location because of its high grounds which were more suitable for defensive purposes against the invading Vietnamese. The laterite walls and bricks from the old town were also dismantled and moved to the new site. A serve drought during the reign of King Rama V forced its return to the original site at Ban Lum.The old town at Khai Noen Wong was square-shaped with extensive laterite walls mounted with large cannons. Each side had its own ramparts and defensive moats. It was regarded as a powerful military camp of the time. The town's principal temple was Wat Yothanimit.Soon to be established as a national maritime museum, the Underwater Archaeological Office is located within Khai Noen Wong specialising in exhibits on Thailands merchant marine and items discovered from underwater archaeological explorations from all over the country. There are also exhibits of ancient sailing routes and products. An exhibition chamber deals with the history and culture of the people of Chanthaburi.