Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    21-05-2019 @ 09:36 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,810

    Koh Chang, where to stay?

    I'm going to have a few nights on Koh Chang next week with my parents, wife and 2 kids (4+11) and Sister in Law.

    I would like to rent 3 bungalows on or very near a beach or 3 good rooms.

    I would rather stay away from the 60 baht a night shit and pay for decent accomodation and enjoy my short break.

    Oh, and NO RUSSIANS (if poss) any recommendations?

    BTW, I know this is probably the wrong forum but I dare say most long stayers in Pattaya have stayed on Koh Chang.

    Cheers.
    I would post pictures but life's too short.

  2. #2
    Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    07-03-2019 @ 07:28 PM
    Posts
    326
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgen View Post
    I'm going to have a few nights on Koh Chang next week with my parents, wife and 2 kids (4+11) and Sister in Law.

    I would like to rent 3 bungalows on or very near a beach or 3 good rooms.

    I would rather stay away from the 60 baht a night shit and pay for decent accomodation and enjoy my short break.

    Oh, and NO RUSSIANS (if poss) any recommendations?

    BTW, I know this is probably the wrong forum but I dare say most long stayers in Pattaya have stayed on Koh Chang.

    Cheers.
    My wife and I have stayed at Koh Chang Lagoon Resort Hotel a couple of times. It's at White Sand Beach, so there is some night life there, but we got a bungalow right on the beach. It was nice and we liked it. Google it, see what you think. I think the last time we stayed there I reserved the bungalow for 1,950 baht per night. The first time it was more, Nov 09. Good luck.
    Last edited by scrapmetalband; 15-03-2012 at 09:03 AM.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat Jesus Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    22-09-2017 @ 11:00 AM
    Posts
    6,953
    White Sand was to busy for me when i lived there for a few months. I found 'Kai Bea' was great for kids and not to busy at night. Slightly cheaper than White Sands at the time. The Beach Resort is quite nice.

  4. #4
    On a walkabout
    Loy Toy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Posts
    28,174
    PM Pickel.

    He knows the highs and lows of the island better than most and is a good bloke to boot.

  5. #5
    Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    06-10-2013 @ 10:40 PM
    Posts
    74
    I liked blue lagoon in klong prao, between white sands and kae bae. Should be around 1000b per night for a/c. No russians, nice scenery close to my favourite beach on koh chang.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    18-05-2019 @ 07:26 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,805
    ^^ Yep, LT's right on both counts. He's yer man.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    18-05-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Posts
    16,638
    I was going down to Koh Chang the middle of October and not even going to stay at Pickels place. He pmed me and gave me a phone number so I could call him. He gave me daily weather reports, indeed he was most helpful. We ended up not going as the floods were coming. But thanks again Pickel for all your help.

  8. #8
    ...................
    sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    27-03-2019 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,030
    15 palms on whitesands would be a good bet, good value and good resturant beach bar

    alina grande do good promotion with breakfast if you book online, beach is just across the road


    top resort always a winner

    lots of good places in whitesands, klong prao is a bit quieter, and kae bae too
    ketamine-only fools and horses

  9. #9
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,693
    It sounds like your best bet would be White Sand Beach. It's the most commercial part of the island, and you are within walking distance of Restaurants and shopping. Klong Prao is good too, but not an easy walk for shopping, dining, etc. Kai Bae is now infested with Russians.

    My father stayed at Kacha resort in White Sand when he was here last year and had no complaints. The places sunsetter mentions are decent as well.

    Thanks for the praise LT, Sabang, and AO.

  10. #10
    Newbie Beautiful World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Online
    07-12-2012 @ 10:37 AM
    Location
    North phuket
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    It sounds like your best bet would be White Sand Beach. It's the most commercial part of the island, and you are within walking distance of Restaurants and shopping. Klong Prao is good too, but not an easy walk for shopping, dining, etc. Kai Bae is now infested with Russians.

    My father stayed at Kacha resort in White Sand when he was here last year and had no complaints. The places sunsetter mentions are decent as well.

    Thanks for the praise LT, Sabang, and AO.
    I stayed at the Beautiful Warapura Resort on Lonely Beach...great location not so far from the action...Rasta Restaurants on the beach in front.....if thats your cup of tea..

    I paid an amazing 1400bt a night for a poolside Villa...low season mind...8.2 Agoda rating does not lie!!...

    Warapura Resort Koh Chang (Trad) Thailand - Best discount hotel rates

  11. #11
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,693
    ^
    I live right near there. It is a nice resort, but the surrounding area is a backpacker party zone. So it's probably not a good option for the OP, who will have family in tow.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    kmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:01 AM
    Location
    Rayong.
    Posts
    10,390
    Quote Originally Posted by scrapmetalband View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgen View Post
    I'm going to have a few nights on Koh Chang next week with my parents, wife and 2 kids (4+11) and Sister in Law.

    I would like to rent 3 bungalows on or very near a beach or 3 good rooms.

    I would rather stay away from the 60 baht a night shit and pay for decent accomodation and enjoy my short break.

    Oh, and NO RUSSIANS (if poss) any recommendations?

    BTW, I know this is probably the wrong forum but I dare say most long stayers in Pattaya have stayed on Koh Chang.

    Cheers.
    My wife and I have stayed at Koh Chang Lagoon Resort Hotel a couple of times. It's at White Sand Beach, so there is some night life there, but we got a bungalow right on the beach. It was nice and we liked it. Google it, see what you think. I think the last time we stayed there I reserved the bungalow for 1,950 baht per night. The first time it was more, Nov 09. Good luck.
    Stayed at the same place in July, last year. Thought it was great value and very well run.

  13. #13
    Member kiwinev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:16 AM
    Location
    Khobar, Saudi Arabia
    Posts
    110
    Good tips here, I want to visit Koh Chang next month so will check these out.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    21-05-2019 @ 09:36 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,810
    The wifey has taken control, as always, and reckons it's between Kacha Resort and Chang Buri Resort.

    Mr P, any views on Chang Buri?

    Thanks for all replies.

  15. #15
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,693
    I know nothing about Chang Buri Resort other than it is located right next to the main strip of girly bars. The music does stop at midnight though, if it can be heard from the resort at all. There is also a big apartment block between the resort and bars, that should block the noise.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    sounds like lots of development happening there

    Never been to Koh Chang, I always go to one of the smaller islands a bit further off

  17. #17
    ...................
    sunsetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    27-03-2019 @ 02:27 PM
    Location
    underneath the sun
    Posts
    7,030
    you cant hear the bars from the changburi, i had one there, was an issue that was taken up at the time, chang buri didnt have aproblem with it, it was the new one directly accross the street that wanted the bars gone due to noise

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    21-05-2019 @ 09:36 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,810
    After phoning quite a few resorts it seems that Koh Chang is going to be very busy. We booked the Kacha Resort in the end.

    Thanks again for the replies.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    23-06-2014 @ 11:30 PM
    Posts
    1,235
    My wife and I stayed at the Emerald something-or-other. Quite pricey, but nice and quiet. Kind of far from all the main beaches though.

    I'm not much of a Koh Chang fan. Too expensive to get around IMO.

    Have a good trip anyway.

    RickThai

  20. #20
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    21-03-2012 @ 02:57 AM
    Posts
    1
    White Sand Beach Resort is convenient for me.
    ikohchang.com/whitesandbeachresort.htm
    The resort is quiet. You just walk along the beach to busy area - restaurants and other shops.

  21. #21
    My kind of town
    chitown's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    12,520
    : : - Plaloma Cliff Resort : Koh Chang Thailand , Koh Chang hotels & resorts,White Sand Beach,Koh Chang,Trat, Thailand, Asia by PlalomaCliff.com- : :

    An old Swiss guy owned it back on 2003. I am not sure if he is still kicking. It was just being built back then and I stayed at the old one. I got banged up pretty bad in an accident and ended up in the island hospital. It was unreal and I checked out and went back to the hotel and tended to my wounds myself.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    21-05-2019 @ 09:36 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,810
    Well I just got back and have to say everyone had a great time. I hired a self drive mini bus from Fairways Golf at a good price which was a great idea.

    Kacha resort was very nice although some of the older rooms could do with a revamp.

    The only downside is that Koh Chang is INFESTED with Ruskies, loads of Krauts too.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Kurgen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    21-05-2019 @ 09:36 PM
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    8,810
    Oh yes, another fukkin thing.
    My old man got some sort of ear ache/swimmers ear thingy. As we were driving about I saw there is a nice new Bangkok/Koh Chang Clinic so I thought maybe just get his ear checked, even though I run a hyperbaric chamber full of saturation divers for a living so I'm fairly well clued up on this sort of stuff.
    A nice Russian bird informed us that it was 4000 baht to MEET the doctor and any advice was extra !!!

    My exact words were "You can stick that right up your arse, it's swimmers ear"

    I know they are just screwing with insurance companies but come on, it's a clinic FFS !

    Needless to say, I got some drops from the pharmacy and the symptoms are almost gone.

    FUKKIN RIP OFF !!!!!

  24. #24
    Elite Mumbler
    pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Elephant Island
    Posts
    5,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurgen
    A nice Russian bird informed us that it was 4000 baht to MEET the doctor and any advice was extra !!!
    I've met her in there a few times. Sounds like the price has gone way up, or they found out you had good insurance. I get a locals price in there, and then buy my prescriptions in a pharmacy, but it's still expensive. There are smaller, little walk in clinics on the island that are way cheaper for minor things like scrapes and ear infections. One of those would have charged you about 100 baht, plus the cost of ear drops.

  25. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Last Online
    30-01-2013 @ 09:22 AM
    Posts
    10,902
    Quote Originally Posted by pickel View Post
    ^
    I live right near there. It is a nice resort, but the surrounding area is a backpacker party zone. So it's probably not a good option for the OP, who will have family in tow.
    We've stayed there a few times. Last time was in January. The second night there was an illegal rave next door until 3.30am. We moved out and down to some new quiet bungalows on Bang Bao beach.

    Will never return to Warapura.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •