Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827

    Dark Beer Lao - In Bangkok!!

    Newsflash!

    I went to Tapas on Soi 11 last night for something a bit different and I was delighted to see that they had Beer Laos on the menu. I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?'

    It was great. I had lots.

    Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Ratsima
    Posts
    3,717
    ^Perhaps the best news posted in weeks. Green for you.

    The owner of Pasinee here in Korat was in some sort of partnership to import Beer Lao but now the other partner alleges that the Pasinee owner has left the country with the cash. So, us upcountry folks will have to wait....

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    Newsflash! I went to Tapas on Soi 11 last night for something a bit different and I was delighted to see that they had Beer Laos on the menu. I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?' It was great. I had lots. Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?
    '

    Wanker I made a thread about my Dark Beer Lao months ago even years ago now and you poo-pooed it you fucking sponge.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    Good news Maar meat, Its a great little drop, hope it becomes more widely available, I usually buy a slab or two at Laos duty free, its as cheap as chips there.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    Newsflash! I went to Tapas on Soi 11 last night for something a bit different and I was delighted to see that they had Beer Laos on the menu. I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?' It was great. I had lots. Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?
    '

    Wanker I made a thread about my Dark Beer Lao months ago even years ago now and you poo-pooed it you fucking sponge.
    What are talking about Quirrel?

  6. #6
    Member sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    11-08-2018 @ 08:42 AM
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?'
    What was the dark worth?

  7. #7
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2017 @ 05:37 PM
    Posts
    684
    There is a trendy wine bar in Manchester that sells this stuff & describes it as the 'champagne of Asian beers' on the menu - £3.50 for a small bottle.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776

    Beer Lao delays export to Thailand

    Beer Lao delays export to Thailand


    Vientiane, Laos (dpa) - Lao Brewery Co's plans to flood Thailand with its popular Beer Lao next year have been put on hold until 2011, a senior executive said Thursday.

    Lao Brewery, one of little Laos' biggest companies, has invested 25 million dollars in an expansion project in southern Laos aimed at exploiting the export market, specifically neighbouring Thailand, under the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, which goes into effect in 2008 for the 10-country Association of South-East Asian Nations.

    But the government of Laos and Thailand recently decided that beer was too sensitive a product to be tariff-free in their respective markets.

    "Both governments decided to keep the tariffs on beer until 2011," said Sounthone Phommachak, senior deputy managing director of the Lao Brewery Co. "Each country is still trying to protect their own beer market."

    Lao Brewery, a joint venture between the Lao government and Denmark's Carlberg, is to open a new plant in Pakse in southern Laos at the end of this year with an initial annual capacity for 50 million litres of beer.

    The 25-million-dollar project was originally planned to tap the beer market of neighbouring Thailand, but now it is to focus on satisfying the growing local demand of Beer Lao, currently the only domestically brewed beer available in Laos.

    The Vientiane-based brewery, currently with an annual capacity of 140 million litres, is deemed a corporate success story in communist Laos, a land-locked country with a population of less than 6 million.

    Beer Lao is popular among visiting tourists and has won numerous international awards. It is one of the few brand names Laos can boast of.

    "The Swiss make watches, the Germans make cars, but Laos has nothing right now except Beer Lao," Sounthone said.

    In 2006, Lao Brewery's revenues were 80 million dollars with a profit of 15 million dollars and taxes to the government of 47 million.

    Sales in the first eight months of this year were up 16 per cent, Sounthone said.

    The brewery seemed happy with the government's decision to protect its domestic market, of which it claims a whopping 99-per-cent market share, even though it has meant a lost opportunity in Thailand.

    "I think it's good for us because we have more time to make ourselves strong," Sounthone said.

    Lao Brewery plans to boost its Pakse plant's capacity to 100 million litres in 2010 in preparation for the liberalization of the ASEAN beer market, but the company faces new competition at home next year when APN of Singapore plans to open a brewery in Laos to produce Tiger Beer.

    ASEAN is made up of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

    Under the group's free trade scheme, tariffs on most items will be slashed to less than 5 per cent next year, excluding beer and several other "sensitive" items.

    Todays Bangkok Post

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    In a rather cold and dark place
    Posts
    12,823
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    What are talking about Quirrel?
    I had a thread here about Dark Beer Lao a long time back. With pics of it.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    Beer Lao delays export to Thailand


    Vientiane, Laos (dpa) - Lao Brewery Co's plans to flood Thailand with its popular Beer Lao next year have been put on hold until 2011, a senior executive said Thursday.

    Lao Brewery, one of little Laos' biggest companies, has invested 25 million dollars in an expansion project in southern Laos aimed at exploiting the export market, specifically neighbouring Thailand, under the ASEAN Free Trade Agreement, which goes into effect in 2008 for the 10-country Association of South-East Asian Nations.

    But the government of Laos and Thailand recently decided that beer was too sensitive a product to be tariff-free in their respective markets.

    "Both governments decided to keep the tariffs on beer until 2011," said Sounthone Phommachak, senior deputy managing director of the Lao Brewery Co. "Each country is still trying to protect their own beer market."

    Lao Brewery, a joint venture between the Lao government and Denmark's Carlberg, is to open a new plant in Pakse in southern Laos at the end of this year with an initial annual capacity for 50 million litres of beer.

    The 25-million-dollar project was originally planned to tap the beer market of neighbouring Thailand, but now it is to focus on satisfying the growing local demand of Beer Lao, currently the only domestically brewed beer available in Laos.

    The Vientiane-based brewery, currently with an annual capacity of 140 million litres, is deemed a corporate success story in communist Laos, a land-locked country with a population of less than 6 million.

    Beer Lao is popular among visiting tourists and has won numerous international awards. It is one of the few brand names Laos can boast of.

    "The Swiss make watches, the Germans make cars, but Laos has nothing right now except Beer Lao," Sounthone said.

    In 2006, Lao Brewery's revenues were 80 million dollars with a profit of 15 million dollars and taxes to the government of 47 million.

    Sales in the first eight months of this year were up 16 per cent, Sounthone said.

    The brewery seemed happy with the government's decision to protect its domestic market, of which it claims a whopping 99-per-cent market share, even though it has meant a lost opportunity in Thailand.

    "I think it's good for us because we have more time to make ourselves strong," Sounthone said.

    Lao Brewery plans to boost its Pakse plant's capacity to 100 million litres in 2010 in preparation for the liberalization of the ASEAN beer market, but the company faces new competition at home next year when APN of Singapore plans to open a brewery in Laos to produce Tiger Beer.

    ASEAN is made up of Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.

    Under the group's free trade scheme, tariffs on most items will be slashed to less than 5 per cent next year, excluding beer and several other "sensitive" items.


    Todays Bangkok Post
    I imagine the pressure came from Thailand because if Beer Lao lost all of its domestic market and only gained 10% of the Thai market it would be in front.

  11. #11
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    15-12-2012 @ 03:35 PM
    Posts
    5,908
    ^ yes, I'm sure it was Thai pressure. That beer is great, and would seriously gain market share rapidly in Thailand if allowed to be mass distributed.

  12. #12
    born of a jackal
    colourful-era's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Online
    15-07-2008 @ 06:05 PM
    Location
    Phnom Penh
    Posts
    2,539
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog
    It was great. I had lots. Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?
    what was the price of such stuff?

    went to Laos recently - 30B for a big bottle - had a fair few of course

    if only they'd bring it here

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    Little Chuchok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Posts
    9,373
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Newsflash!

    I went to Tapas on Soi 11 last night for something a bit different and I was delighted to see that they had Beer Laos on the menu. I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?'

    It was great. I had lots.

    Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?
    It's been in Chiang Mai for quite a while.Tuskers has it.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by colourful-era
    what was the price of such stuff?
    I think it was the same as any other beer. 90B a bottle at Tapas.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsquirrel
    Wanker I made a thread about my Dark Beer Lao months ago even years ago now and you poo-pooed it you fucking sponge.
    Ahh yes. Here it is.

    http://teakdoor.com/the-captains-lou...secretary.html

  16. #16
    Member
    bar dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    03-12-2008 @ 10:23 AM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    297
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Newsflash!

    I went to Tapas on Soi 11 last night for something a bit different and I was delighted to see that they had Beer Laos on the menu. I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?'

    It was great. I had lots.

    Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?
    Don't know about Bangkok but it is available in a couple of bars in Chiang Mai

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Ratsima
    Posts
    3,717
    Quote Originally Posted by bar dog
    Don't know about Bangkok but it is available in a couple of bars in Chiang Mai
    I was in The Old Dutch last night and noticed that they have Beer Lao, regular and dark. I had a pint of Guinness instead....

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by buad hai
    I was in The Old Dutch last night and noticed that they have Beer Lao, regular and dark.
    I was out with Bustak last night. Boy, he knows how to get himself into trouble.

    Hmmm... funny about the Beer Laos in the Old Dutch; I've never noticed it there before, but I only go there, like, every day!

  19. #19
    Member sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    11-08-2018 @ 08:42 AM
    Posts
    310
    Soi 8 on Soi 8 has it. 90 baht a bottle. Well worth it.

    Brought back happy memories of Black Macs and Spights Old Dark

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge
    Soi 8 on Soi 8 has it. 90 baht a bottle. Well worth it.
    That's handy, I'm going there in a wee while.

  21. #21
    better looking than Ned
    Rigger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    17-01-2018 @ 12:27 PM
    Posts
    7,900
    The Kiwi cafe around the lake in Khon kaen is selling dark and normal beer loas very nice after a afternoon ride

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    DrAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    25-03-2014 @ 05:29 PM
    Location
    yes
    Posts
    32,028
    Quote Originally Posted by bar dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Newsflash!

    I went to Tapas on Soi 11 last night for something a bit different and I was delighted to see that they had Beer Laos on the menu. I asked the waitress for one and she replied 'Normal or dark?'

    It was great. I had lots.

    Does anyone know of anywhere else that sells it in Bangkok?
    Don't know about Bangkok but it is available in a couple of bars in Chiang Mai

    yes, it is, although one bar charges more for the dark!

    at the moment, it is genuine, made in Laos, but in the future it will be made in Thailand and not be the same at all (different water and who knows what else)
    I have reported your post

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by DrAndy
    at the moment, it is genuine, made in Laos, but in the future it will be made in Thailand and not be the same at all (different water and who knows what else)
    Not what I've heard.

    Anyway, I had lots of Beer Laos Dam tonight and it was lovely.

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,114
    So finally we agree on a beer marmers! Beer laos dark is indeed a nice drop.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat reinvented's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Location
    top of soi 2
    Posts
    1,760
    apart from Tapas and soi cowboy where can i buy it in Bangkok?

    do they sell it in any supermarkets?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •