Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Chang Beer

  1. #1
    Member
    ch1ldofthemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    25-10-2018 @ 11:50 PM
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    717

    Chang Beer

    I`ve just bought a case of Chang beer. 330ml bottles. Cost is : 16 a case of 24 bottles.
    My question is this : The alcohol content is 5%.....I thought Chang is 6%.
    Am I correct ??
    Seems like the alcohol content has been reduced for the British market.....?

  2. #2
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ldofthemoon
    Seems like the alcohol content has been reduced for the British market.....?
    Yes, indeed, just a sensible precaution on the manufacturer's side.
    Brits aren't known for mixing their beer with ice-cubes to bring it down to a drinkable flavour and strength.

  3. #3
    Not an expat
    Fabian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    04-09-2017 @ 09:31 PM
    Location
    Hamburg, cold dark Germany
    Posts
    5,381
    Chang beer and Singha beer are watered down for export.

  4. #4
    Northern Hermit
    friscofrankie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiangmai, Thailand
    Posts
    7,527
    IN the states we get Sing full strengthm only labeled as "Malt Liquor." Had a sweetie that imported the stuff, She got a few cases of large bottles, They had the Thai labels on them unsellable, Free beer! Even then it was too expensive.

  5. #5
    The Pikey Hunter
    Gerbil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roasting a Hedgehog
    Posts
    12,356
    ^ and undrinkable

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ldofthemoon
    I`ve just bought a case of Chang beer.
    Sick b'stard!

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    Well he will be after he drinks it.
    Chang Bottled Draught is not bad, hasn't got the terrible preservative taste that normal Chang has.

  8. #8
    Member
    ch1ldofthemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    25-10-2018 @ 11:50 PM
    Location
    London,England
    Posts
    717
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ldofthemoon
    I`ve just bought a case of Chang beer.
    Sick b'stard!
    I happen to prefer Chang to Singa.....at least the hangovers arn`t so bad.
    As for adding ice to your beer....you gotta be sick to do that.

  9. #9
    I am in Jail
    Mr Earl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    19-03-2019 @ 07:37 AM
    Location
    In the Jungle of Love
    Posts
    14,778
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ldofthemoon View Post
    I happen to prefer Chang to Singa.....at least the hangovers arn`t so bad.
    As for adding ice to your beer....you gotta be sick to do that.
    Pretty standard practice here in the tropics. Especially if you're drinking a lot every day.
    Chang is piss anyway so watering it down with ice cubes really can't hurt it.

    I agree with MTD with all the decent ales in the UK why drink Chang? Masochistic perhaps?

    Shit I'd rather drink warm Double Diamond than Chang. (do they still drink DD in the UK?)

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    sabang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Online
    21-04-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Location
    BackinOz
    Posts
    30,805
    Considering that a fair percentage of Chang is drunk out in the provinces and often not even chilled, ice cubes are necessary.
    Try drinking warm Chang, but have a bucket handy.

  11. #11
    I am in Jail
    stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    12-03-2019 @ 09:53 AM
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    23,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    do they still drink DD in the UK?
    But that's not an "ale".
    Beer is drunk at cellar temperature in the UK, "Lager" ice-cold.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ch1ldofthemoon View Post
    I`ve just bought a case of Chang beer. ...
    My hero!
    Last edited by hillbilly; 03-06-2007 at 11:23 AM.

  13. #13
    Part time poster
    slimboyfat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:59 AM
    Location
    Singapore / Kanchanaburi
    Posts
    9,368
    I dont have any problem drinking Thai beers in Thailand, but when I have tried drinking them in Singapore they taste awful. Maybe I am just not drinking enough.

  14. #14
    Member
    dantilley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    09-04-2019 @ 06:54 PM
    Posts
    534
    The UK stuff tastes very different too. Like it's a different beer altogether.

  15. #15
    RIP
    klongmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Nonthaburi
    Posts
    4,382
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian
    Chang beer and Singha beer are watered down for export.
    Not exactly Fabian...both beers are batch brewed so they can 'control' the alcohol levels...

    in Thailand of course there are no alcohol levels on the labels which explains why sometimes you drink a heap and it has no effect and other times you have a couple of bottles and wake up with a monumental hangover...batch brewing means that the alcohol level can vary...and vary it does...

    .

  16. #16
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    23-09-2007 @ 11:56 AM
    Location
    Bangna , heading for Cambo
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabian
    Chang beer and Singha beer are watered down for export.
    Not exactly Fabian...both beers are batch brewed so they can 'control' the alcohol levels...

    in Thailand of course there are no alcohol levels on the labels which explains why sometimes you drink a heap and it has no effect and other times you have a couple of bottles and wake up with a monumental hangover...batch brewing means that the alcohol level can vary...and vary it does...

    .
    Well that solves a puzzle !

    (I have experienced this phenomenum).


  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    Marmite the Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    08-09-2014 @ 10:43 AM
    Location
    Simian Islands
    Posts
    34,827
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster
    in Thailand of course there are no alcohol levels on the labels
    Yes there are. Put your glasses on Granddad!

  18. #18
    Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    23-09-2007 @ 11:56 AM
    Location
    Bangna , heading for Cambo
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster
    in Thailand of course there are no alcohol levels on the labels
    Yes there are. Put your glasses on Granddad!
    Chang even has it in English : alc 6.4% vol


  19. #19
    Thailand Expat
    peterpan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pleasantville
    Posts
    10,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmite the Dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klongmaster
    in Thailand of course there are no alcohol levels on the labels
    Yes there are. Put your glasses on Granddad!
    Give the poor old codger a break, it Is in very small print and hard to read when ya have had a few.

  20. #20
    Member sledge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Last Online
    11-08-2018 @ 08:42 AM
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Earl
    Pretty standard practice here in the tropics. Especially if you're drinking a lot every day. Chang is piss anyway so watering it down with ice cubes really can't hurt it.
    Yes an unfortunate part of drinking here sometimes , but it is needed. Nothing worse than warm beer

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •