Phayao Wats - Temples

Phayao Province

Wat Ananlayo

About 7 kilometres north of town on Highway No.1 and further 9 kilometres after a left turn is a hilltop temple, Wat Ananlayo covers an extensive area.

Wat Analayo Thipphayaram

Wat Analayo Thipphayaram is situated on Doi Butsarakham, Ban San Pa Muang, Mu 6, San Pa Muang Sub-district, 20 kilometres from the centre of the province in the north along the Highway No. 1 Phayao – Chiang Rai route. At Km. 743, proceed for approximately 7 kilometres and turn left into Highway 1127 - 1193 for 9 kilometres. Within the compound of the temple is enshrined a beautiful Buddha image in the Sukhothai style of art, as well as, other images in various postures such as the reclining, walking, seated and protected by a seven-headed Naga one. They were deliberately cast. The Rattana Chedi is in the Indian Bodh Gaya style of art. There is also a Chinese pavilion housing Kuan Yin Bodhisattva, a Buddha image hall where a golden replica of the Emerald Buddha image is enshrined, as well as those made of topaz, silver, gold, and gold-silver-copper alloy. From the summit of the mountain, the atmosphere of Kwan Phayao and Mueang Phayao can be clearly admired. There are both steps and a path for vehicles up to the top. Contact Tel. 0 5448 2226.

Wat Li

Wat Li is located at Ban Lai Ing, near the 3rd Municipality School, Wiang Sub-district. It is an ancient and significant temple of Phayao constructed in 1495 to be presented to Phrachao Yot Chiang Rai, the king of Chiang Mai Town. Li is its original name. It is an ancient northern Thai dialect, meaning Kat or Talat or market. Therefore, it means a temple in the area of the market community. Within the compound of the temple, there are important ancient remains; namely, Phrathat Wat Li, and many artefacts of the Phayao Kingdom, especially the sandstone Buddha images. Moreover, there is a museum collecting various artefacts..

Wat Nantaram

An interesting temple in Chiang Kham is Wat Nantaram, a Burmese-style site built entirely with teak. The woodworks on the windows, gables, corridors and other parts are beautifully chiseled in elaborate designs.

Wat Phrachao Nang Din

Wat Phrachao Nang Din is at 45 Mu 7, Wiang Sub-district, 4 kilometres from Mueang District along Highway No. 1148. The main Buddha image of this temple is different from those of other temples because there is no Chukkachi base supporting the image. In fact, local people once constructed the base and were about to take the image to be enshrined on it. However, the image could not be lifted. Therefore, the image has been continuously called “Phrachao Nang Din” – the image seated on the ground. According to legend, this image was cast since the Lord Buddha was still alive. Therefore, the image might be aged more than 2,500 years.

Wat Phra That Chomthong

Wat Phra That Chomthong, just opposite Wat Si Khom Kham, can be reached by the 1.5-kilometre-long uphill road. Surrounded by an arboretum, the temple offers a panoramic view of the town and the lake.

Wat Phrathat Khing Kaeng

Wat Phrathat Khing Kaeng is 10 kilometres from Chun District along Highway 1021. Turn right and walk for 300 metres. The temple is located on the That Khing Kaeng mound, where the view of Khing Kaeng Village can be clearly seen. The Phrathat is in the Lanna style, similar to Phrathat Sop Waen in Chiang Kham District, but bigger in size.

Wat Phra That Sop Waen

Another place of interest in Chiang Kham is Wat Phra That Sop Waen. The temple houses a 700-year-old Lanna-style Chedi.

Wat Saen Mueang Ma

Wat Saen Mueang Ma is located at 113 Ban Mang, Mu 4, Yuan Sub-district. It was constructed during the reign of King Rama I in approximately 1808. The ruler of Nan during that time herded the Thai Yai people from Mueang Mang in Myanmar to Chiang Muan District and named this village “Ban Mang”. He persuaded the town people to construct a temple called “Wat Mang” whose name was later changed into “Wat Saen Mueang Ma”. The distinctive point of this temple is the roof of its wihan which is layered into many tiers. The roof was decorated with Chofa, in the shape of a swan or Naga holding a crystal ball in its mouth, as well as, an adornment of colourful low-relief fretwork. All the door panels were also carved from wood, while the entrance to the wihan was made into three porticos. Each of them were created into the shape of 3 kinds of animals, believed to help protect the religion; namely, Naga, tiger, and lion or Simha. The sculptures of Naga were also decorated with the horns of deer, different from other Thai Lue temples. Moreover, inside are mural paintings depicting the lifestyles of the Thai Lue people and the main Buddha image in the Chiang Saen style of art. Within the compound of the temple is a museum hall which can be contacted at Tel. 0 5445 1399.

Wat Si Khom Kham

Wat Sri Khom Kham is a temple located in the centre of Mueang Phayao by Kwan Phayao. It is a 3rd class royal temple and selected model of a developed one. Local people call it “Wat Phrachao Ton Luang”, after the largest Buddha image in the Chiang Saen style of art in the Lanna Thai Kingdom. It is a Buddha image with a lap width of 14 metres and height of 16 metres, and was cast during 1491-1524. Phrachao Ton Luang or Phrachao Ong Luang is not only a signature Buddha image of Phayao, but also one of the Lanna Thai Kingdom. During Visakha Puja Day of every year, there is a ceremony to pay respect to Phrachao Ton Luang, called “The Ceremony to Pay Respect to Phrachao Ong Luang in the 8th Northern Lunar Month”. Moreover, within the compound of the temple stands an ubosot in the water by the bank of Kwan Phayao, where there are mural paintings in elaborate designs by Achan Angkarn Kalayaanapong, a National Artist of Thailand.

Wat Si Umong Kham

The Chiang Saen-style Chedi at Wat Si Umong Kham is still in good condition. The Lanna-style Buddha statue, Phra Chao Lan Tue, is regarded as the most beautiful anywhere.

Wat Tha Fa Tai

Wat Tha Fa Tai is at Mu 11, Ban Fa Si Thong, Sa Sub-district, on the Pong – Chiang Muan Route. It was constructed in 1768 by Khru Thammasena and Phothao Saen-atthi, the leaders of the Thai Lue people who immigrated from Xishuangbanna, People’s Republic of China. The ubosot is low and made of bricks and cement. Its 3-tiered roof is covered with “Paen Klet” or the Thai Lue wooden shingles. The main Buddha image was engraved of Burma padauk wood in the subduing Mara posture, with a width at its lap of 117.5 centimetres and a height of 227.5 centimetres. It was taken from Xishuangbanna and enshrined on a rectangular Chukkachi base with redented corners, presenting the Thai Lue style of art. The base was decorated with stucco reliefs of vines with black lacquer applied, as well as, covered with gold sheets and adorned with colourful mirrors. Moreover, there is a sermon pulpit whose characteristic is similar to a mondop or prasat with a square base with 20 redented corners, decorated with stucco reliefs of vines and various kinds of animals such as deer, elephants, horses, and peacocks. The distinctive characteristic is the reflecting floral designs inlaid with colourful mirrors. The wihan is low and reflects the Thai Lue style of art made of bricks and cement. Its 3-tiered roof is covered with wooden shingles. The 1st tier is a hip roof, covering the 4 sides of the wihan, while the 2nd and 3rd tiers are in the Prasat style with gables and eaves on the East and West.

2324 Sacrificial Monument

2324 Sacrificial Monument is located 2 kilometres from Mueang Chiang Kham District along Highway 1021. It was constructed to commemorate the heroic deeds of the civilians, policemen and soldiers who sacrificed their lives in the fights to protect the sovereignty of the country at the frontiers in Phayao and Chiang Rai Provinces. Moreover, it is also a museum exhibiting photos, dioramas and military weapons, which were once used in those fights. It is open during official hours.

Pho Khun Ngam Mueang Memorial

The Pho Khun Ngam Mueang Memorial, located in the public park on the bank of Kwan Phayao, commemorates a former king of Phayao, or Phu Kam Yao, who was in power some 700 years ago. During his reign, the state prospered and expanded its territory. As a close ally of King Mengrai, the ruler of Chiang Rai, and King Ramkhamhaeng of Sukhothai, they formed an alliance of harmony, loyalty and non-aggression.