Wat Hin Mak Peng

Located at Ban Thai Charoen, Tambon Phra Phutthabat. The temple compound is spacious, clean and shady with various species of plants amidst tranquility. Its area on one side borders the Mekong River where a scenic view can be seen. Originally, this place was a Dharma practice place of Luangpu Thet Thetrangsi, a famous meditation master of Isan, who initiated it as a Dharma practice centre for Buddhist monks, nuns and pilgrims. After his death, a Chedi was built to enshrine his remains. Inside the temple, there is a statue of Luangpu Thet on display with the eight requisites (the three robes, the bowl, a razor, a needle, the girdle and a water-strainer) and his biography.

To get there : Wat Hin Mak Peng is 75 km. from town. Take Highway 211 (Nong Khai Si Chiang Mai) and switch to Highway 2186. The temple is on your right.

Phrathat Bang Phuan

Phrathat Bang Phuan is at Ban Don Mu, 11 kilometres from town on the Nong Khai-Udon Thani road, then a road on the right onto Highway No. 211 to Tha Bo for 10 kilometres. This old pagoda is 34 metres high and houses the holy relics of Lord Buddha. It underwent major renovation in 1976 because the original fired brick pagoda collapsed. The temple still has the old pagoda, temple boundary markers and an ancient stone inscription. Furthermore, there is an ancient pool from which water was once used in blessing past city lords.

Luang Pho Phra Chao Ong Tue

Housed in Wat Si Chomphu Ong Tue, Ban Nam Mong. This large Buddha image was cast from bronze by the royal artisans of the northern city and Lan Chang. Having graceful features, the 4 metre-high image is sitting cross-legged in the attitude of subduing Mara with a lap width of 3.29 m. It is a holy image which has gained much respect from the peoples on both of the banks of the Mekong River. According to a stone inscription, this image was built in 1562 by the royal command of Phra Chaiyachettha, King of Nakhon Wiang. The metals used included gold, brass, and silver, weighing a total of one Tue (an ancient scale of Isan) and it took seven years and seven months to finish the cast. The province has a fair to pay homage to Luangpho Phrachao Ong Tue every year on the full moon day in the fourth lunar month.

To get there : From the town of Nong Khai, take Highway 2 to Udon Thani and switch to Highway 211 (Nong Khai Tha Bo). At Km 31, follow a road sign on the left to the temple for around 1 km.

Phrathat Nong Khai

Phrathat Nong Khai collapsed into the Mekong in 1847. Over the years the pagoda drifted to the centre of the river where it is seen today.

Prap Ho Monument

Located in front of the old city hall. The cremated bones of those who lost their lives in the suppression of the Ho in 1886 have been contained inside the monument which was built by an order of Luang Prachaksinlapakhom, the suppression commander, to honour the good deeds of those who sacrificed their own lives for the nation. There are inscriptions in Chinese, English, Laotian and Thai on all four directions of the monument. A worshipping ceremony and a fair to celebrate the monument are held every year on 5 March.