Ang Thong

Wat Ang Thong Worawihan

Is located on the east bank of the river. This is the third-class royal monastery opposite Ang Thong City Hall. Originally, there were 2 small temples located next to each other called Wat Pho Ngoen and Wat Pho Thong constructed in the reign of King Rama IV. Later in 1900, King Rama V had these 2 temples combined into one and graciously named it Wat Ang Thong. This temple is famous for its beautiful ubosot and bell-shaped chedi decorated with gold mirror. Groups of neatly lying Thai monks' compartments are made of teak exhibiting the arts in early Rattanakosin period.

Wat Chantharangsi

Is located in Ban Na, Mu 9, Tambon Huaphai from the Asian Highway intersection entering Amphoe Mueang approximately 1 kilometer. When you see the sign of the road, take another 1 kilometer to reach this temple. Areas of this temple cover both sides of the road. On one side, there is a sacred Buddha image called Luangpho Yok. On the other side, it locates wihan of Luangpho Sod which housing the metal image, the largest of its kind in the world, was constructed in 1996. This golden Buddha image has a lap width of approximately 6 meters and 9 inches, and a height of 9.9 meters.

Wat Mathurotsatiyaram

Is located on the Asian Highway (Highway No. 32). From Asian Highway, when passing the intersection to Ang Thong province for approximately 500 meters to Nakhon Sawan province, turn right into PTT gas station for about 30 meters. This temple is formerly called Wat Kuti locating on the bank of the Prakamthong River, an ancient river currently called the Chao Phraya River. This temple was assumed to have been constructed in the late Ayutthaya period. The only evidence remains are crystal wall, ubosot, chedi, and wihan standing on the appropriate positions with magnificent figures. The 4x8 meters ubosot is built in the Chinese junk figure using brick and plaster, and the 6-meter roof is covered with fire-clay tiles. Luxurious arts of the ubosot are the carved angel pressing his hands together on top of lotus motifs in the center of front and back gables.

Wat Phinitthammasan

Is located on the east bank of Chao Phraya River in Tambon Bang Plakot on the route of Ang Thong - Pa Mok - Ayutthaya Km 15. Its former name was Wat Krasop. Main attractions are the old wihan constructed in the late Ayutthaya period and the large seated Buddha image made of plaster in the posture of subduing Mara built in the first Chiang Saen batch with the lap width of approximately 12 meters, enshrined in the open.

Wat Plotsat

Is located in Ban Hae, Mu 4, Tambon Ban Hae, approximately 7 kilometers from the downtown of Ang Thong province, taking Highway No. 3501 Km 3-4. In the temple compound, there is a tower made of brick, whose unique summit is covered with Ceylon-style chedi pagoda seen from a distance.

Wat Ratchapaksi (Nok)

Is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River. Take Highway No. 309 (Ang Thong to Ayutthaya) Km 52-53 from Amphoe Mueang 3-4 kilometers to the south. In this temple, there is a large reclining Buddha similar to the one enshrined in Wat Pa Mok, but of a little smaller size. The image was assumed to have been constructed during the Ayutthaya period. The original image was badly ruined and was renovated as shown. There is another Buddha image built during the reign of King Songtham, approximately in 1620, which was formerly placed on the bank of the Chao Phraya River. Prior, the image was fallen into the river, Phra Maha Wichian Khannak and Buddhist devouts moved the image to the current temple in 1947. Later the construction of wihan had been completed in 1959 after struggling through various obstacles. The image was then renamed as Phra Rod Wachira Molee and has been remained for everybody to worship and pay homage.

Wat Sa Kaeo

Is located in Tambon Bang Sadet approximately 200 meters away from Wat Tha Sutthawat along the irrigation canal road. If travel from Ayutthaya using Ayutthaya Ang Thong route (Highway No. 309) Km 39-40, entrance to the temple will be on the left side. This temple was constructed in 1699 when it was originally named Wat Sakae. This temple has become the orphans care center with many children under supervision. Therefore, Wat Sa Kaeo Orphanage Li Gay troupe has been established for earning income to cover the expenses in bringing up themselves, which in turn makes this temple become well known. Inside Wat Sa Kaeo, there is Samakkhisamakhan building, which is a center for hand woven fabrics project under Her Majesty the Queens initiation established in 1981, currently under the supervision of Cottage Industry Section, Ministry of Industry. Also, there are good-quality woven clothes e.g. sarong, bathing cloth, etc. In front of the temple is the location of Amphoe Pa Mok Cultural Center, providing demonstration of weaving, silverware and court doll production, and agriculture produce from housewives e.g. banana. This represents the dissemination of Amphoe Pa Mok workmanship skills to be known and sold to the public. Both attractions are open daily from 8 am. 4 pm. For more information, please contact Wat Sa Kaeo at Tel.0 3566 1169,0 3566 1273 or Wat Sa Kaeo School at Tel. 0 3566 1950-1

Wat Suwansewariyaram

Is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River in Tambon Taladkruat. Take the Asian Highway (Highway No. 32) Km 103-104 or 3 kilometers from Ang Thong City Hall along the irrigation canal road. The wihan houses approximately 20 meters in length of a reclining Buddha image. Other ancient relics are about 100 years old.

Wat Tonson

Is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River opposite Ang Thong Technical College. Wat Tonson is an ancient temple housing Somdet Phra Si Mueangthong, a very beautiful seated Buddha image in the posture of subduing Mara with the lap size of about 14 meters wide and 19 meters high molded in metal and gilded. Wat Tonsons abbot, Phra Ratchasuwanmalee, started the construction in 1973. Her Royal Highness, Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn performed a ceremony to complete the construction on March 7, 1985. This is regarded as the one of the largest metal molded Buddha images with beautiful posture.

Wat Chaiyo Worawihan or Wat Ket Chaiyo

Is located on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River, approximately 18 kilometers away from Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong, on Ang Thong Sing Buri route. This is the second-class royal monastery. Formerly it was a small ordinary temple constructed in the Ayutthaya period with the unknown building date. Later in the reign of King Rama IV, this temple was noted when Somdet Phra Phutthachan (To Phromrangsi) a revered monk of Wat Rakhangkhositaram in Thonburi constructed a large seated Buddha image in the posture of meditation made of white plaster. In the reign of King Rama V, His Majesty the King went to worship the image and had Wat Chaiyo renovated in 1887 but the vibration from ramming piles of the wihan caused the large Buddha image to collapse. The king then commanded to build a new large Buddha image following the pattern of the large Buddha image at Wat Kalayanamit. The new one has the lap width of 16.10 meters and the height (from radiance to feet) of 22.65 meters and was graciously named Phra Mahaphutthaphim. There was the biggest celebration for the image ever held in Ang Thong at that time. The molded statue of Somdet Phra Phutthachan (To Phromrangsi) constructed in 1894, having the lap width of 5 meters and the height of 7 meters, has been enshrined in the wihan facing the Chao Phraya River. The large Buddha image housed in this wihan is larger, more elegant, and more remarkable wihan than any other, therefore, Buddhists from various parts of the country have continuously paid homage to this image. In front of the wihan, the ubosot facing the Chao Phraya River was constructed using the magnificent Thai architectural design. Inside the ubosot, there are mural paintings depicting scenes of the Lord Buddhas chronicles painted by the artisan in the reign of King Rama V, and the molded statue of Somdet Phra Phutthachan (To Phromrangsi) from Thonburi. At present, Wat Chaiyo Worawihan has been renovated to exhibit its distinctive beauty.

Wat Phohom (Wat Pahuaphan)

Is located in Tambon Ratchasathit (Tambon Tanot) on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River. It is 12 kilometers from Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong. Taking Ang Thong Sing Buri route at Km 68-69 and turn at the intersection for 1.5 kilometers. Originally, this temple was constructed in the Ayutthaya period and was left deserted. The temple was rebuilt 10 years ago. Attractions in this temple are 2 large stucco of four-face Bhrama heads, found from the excavation of this temple placed on trays beside chedi. The object reveals original workmanship of a Khmer-style sculpture. It is assumed that those heads were the top parts of either the temple gate or the ubosot gate similar to the one on top of the palace gate in Ayutthaya period. Moreover, the new abbots' compartment displays a mixture of Asian and European arts.

Wat Saket

Is an ancient temple, built in the Ayutthaya period, located in Tambon Chaiyaphum, on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River, approximately 15 kilometers from Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong. Formerly, Tambon Chaiyaphum was called Ban Saket, administratively reported to Mueang Wiset Chai Chan District. In the Royal Chronicle, it is mentioned that in 1585 when Phrachao Chiangmai led his army to encamp at Ban Saket, King Naresuan the Great and Somdet Phra Ekathotsarot attacked and finally defeated Phrachao Chiangmais army. The present King and Queen visited this temple in 1970 to make merit for King Naresuan the Great.

Wat Pa Mok Worawihan

Is located in municipal Tambon Pa Mok on the west bank of the Chao Phraya River approximately 18 kilometers away from Amphoe Mueang. Take Highway No. 309 (Ang Thong Ayutthaya route) at Km 40, then take Highway No. 329 and 3501 to find a signage to Wat Pa Mok. In the temple compound, there is a beautiful gilded reclining Buddha made of brick, and plaster. The image is 22.58 meters from the topknot to the feet. It is assumed to have been constructed in the Sukhothai period. Legend of this Buddha image was that he floated along the river and sank in front of this temple. People offered sacrifices to the Buddha image before pulling him from the river to house on the riverbank. In the royal chronicle, it is mentioned that before leading his army to attack Phra Maha Upparacha, King Naresuan the Great stopped at this temple to gather his troops and paid homage to the image. Due to the erosion on the riverbank near wihan, King Sisanphet III commanded Phraya Ratchasongkhram to lead the removal of Buddha image from the riverbank. King Thai Sa controlled this removal and invited the Buddha image to enshrine in the new wihan in Wat Talad, 168 meters away from the river. Later the King commanded to merge Wat Talad and Wat Chipakhao into one temple and renamed as Wat Pa Mok due to the abundance of Wrightia religiosa (Mok) trees all around. Besides the reclining Buddha, this temple is famous for wihan Khian, where the wall confronting to the river has a tall stand formerly used by the King, mondop of 4-foot prints, and tower of monastic library, etc.

Wat Tha Sutthawat

Is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River in Tambon Bang Sadet. This ancient temple was constructed in the early Ayutthaya period. During the war, this site was the trooping route for the army crossing the Chao Phraya River. Take Ayutthaya Ang Thong route (Highway No. 309) Km 38-39, the temple entrance will be on the left side approximately 17 kilometers before reaching downtown Ang Thong province. At present, this temple is under the royal patronage of Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn. The temple compound is shaded with large trees exhibiting magnificent scene over the bank of the Chao Phraya River. The royal pavilion stands in the middle of the pond. Chedi (pagoda) exhibits ancient Buddha images and historical relics. Monuments of King Naresuan the Great and King Ekathotsarot are besides the pavilion. Inside the ubosot, Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn had her personal painters and drawers from the Royal Folk Arts and Crafts Project draw the mural paintings illustrating Phra Maha Chanok, history of Ang Thong province. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn graciously drew a mango on this temple wall as well.

Wat Thanon

Is located in Tambon Phongpheng. From Amphoe Pa Mok, passing municipal market to the inner route of Pa Mok Bang Ban (Highway No. 3501) Km 19-20 approximately 7 kilometers, you will find Wat Thanon. This temple was constructed approximately in 1780 in the Thonburi period. A wooden Buddha image in the standing posture, carved in a human size of approximately more than 2 meters, is enshrined in the wihan called Luangpho Phraphut Rampueng. From the chronicle, the raft with the Buddha image floated along the river and stopped in front of this temple and did not go any further. Phra Thong Yu, the abbot in that period, found that there was an engraved wooden Buddha image in the raft. Therefore, he offered sacrifices to the Buddha image before moving him from the river to house in the temple. People, who pay homage to this temple, like to make wishes and prove them by placing the eggs in front of the Buddha image. Whoever can make the egg stands, he/she has good luck. Offerings of boiled eggs, a play, and garland are used as the means to redeem a vow to the Buddha for the wishes that have been made. Other attraction is the floating 100-year Buddhas footprint of 30x70 in engraved wood on the ceiling of the temple hall.

Bats at Wat Chantharam

Wat Chantharam is an old temple locating in Ban Chang, Mu 5, Tambon Khok Phutsa, approximately 4 kilometers to the west of Pho Thong District Office. Take Pho Thong Sawaengha Road for approximately 1 kilometer and then turn left for another 3 kilometers. Inside the precinct of this temple is crowded with trees, which have become habitats for numerous basted birds for centuries. These bats look for food at night, whereas during daytime, they hang themselves upside down along the black-color branches to be seen from distance. Visitors can enjoy visiting them in every season.

Wat Khun Inthapramun

Is located in Tambon Inthapramun. It is an ancient temple constructed in the Sukhothai period. Considering the original line of brick remains, it is estimated to be a large temple. The largest and longest reclining Buddha in Thailand, 50 meters from the topknot to the feet, is enshrined here. Originally, the reclining Buddha image was housed in the wihan, but this temple was on fire and was left deserted with the Buddha image in the open for centuries. The image features and size are similar to those of Phranon Chaksi, a reclining Buddha image in Sing Buri Province. Therefore, it is assumed to have been constructed in the same period. The image possesses attractive Buddha features with a serene smiling face attracting respectfulness and faithfulness from people. Thai kings went to pay homage to the image e.g. King Borommakot in 1753, King Rama V in 1878 and 1908. The present king came to present the royal Kathin robes in 1973 and again in 1975. Buddhists from all over the country always make their visits to worship the image.Moreover, within Wat Khun Inthapramun compound, there are historical remains of basement, some parts of walls, and Buddha image in Luangpho Khao wihan. Inside the all-purpose pavilion, there is a statue of Khun Inthapramun and the skeleton found in the wihan of the reclining Buddha image in 1998 lying on his face with his hands and feet tied up. People believe that this skeleton is of Khun Inthapramun, but some say it is not. According to the legend, Khun Inthapramun was a revenue officer who secretly embezzled the government tax to build this reclining Buddha image as a holy object. When the King asked how he obtained the fund from, Khun Inthapramun did not reveal the truth because he was afraid that his merit from building the image would be passed on to the King. He was finally sentenced to death. And the temple was then called Wat Khun Inthapramun.How to get there : This site can be accessed by 3 routes. Ang Thong Amphoe Pho Thong (No. 3064), then take a right turn at Km 9 for approximately 2 kilometers. Or take the route from Sing Buri province to Amphoe Chaiyo at approximately Km 64-65, take a left turn for 4 kilometers to reach the temple. Or take the new route Amphoe Wiset Chai Chan Pho Thong (along the irrigation canal road) when arriving at Amphoe Pho Thong, take a right turn for 2 kilometers to reach the temple.

Wat Pho Thong

Is located in Ban Pho Thong, Tambon Khamyat, opposite the entrance of Ban Bangchaocha, 9 kilometers from Amphoe Mueang on Ang Thong Pho Thong route. In the royal chronicle, Wat Pho Thong was the place where Krommakhun Phornphinit (Prince Uthumphorn or Khunluang Hawat) entered his monkshood. King Rama VI spent his summer vacation in this temple during his boat trip visiting the Noi River and Yai River in Krungkao precinct in 1916.

Wat Ta It

Is located in Ban Ta It, Tambon Bangphlap, taking Highway No. 3064 Km 7-8. This temple was constructed in 1761. Originally, this site was for firebrick production and brick distribution center or port for building Wat Khun Inthapramun. After the completion of temple construction, it has then been called Wat Ta It (temple of brick port). Villagers called the principal Buddha image in the ubosot as Luangpho Phetch, while the principal Buddha image in the wihan was called Luangpho Khao. The latter, once enshrined in wihan Maha-Ut was constructed in the Ayutthaya period approximately over 200 years ago. When entering the temple, the outstanding Phrathat Chedi Sri Phothong in gold can easily be seen. Reasons for constructing Phrathat Chedi can be traced back to 1992 when Phrakhru Sukhonthasilakhun (Luangpho Hom) initiated to build the Ceylon Ayutthaya -Rattanakosin pattern chedi of 40-meter width and 73-meter height in the temple compound. The octahedron chedi holding bells and divided into 32 sections is to replace the former corroded chedi standing in front of the ubosot. This chedi is for housing the relics of Buddhas neck as well as various Buddha images in different postures, which represents the religious treasures in commemoration of Lord Buddhas kindness for preaching mankind to have good faith, concentration, and wisdom in order to achieve the virtue based on individuals ability. Later in 1995, Phrakhru Sukhonthasilakhun, acknowledged of King Bhumiphols sickness at the beginning of this chedis construction, had made a strong wish praying for His Majesty the Kings recovery in exchange for a construction of this chedi as a donation. His Majesty the King then named this chedi Phrathat Chedi Sri Phothong. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn presided at the opening ceremony of this chedi in 2000. Wickerwork Village Ang Thongs renowned wickerwork is mostly produced by the community of Amphoe Pho Thong. Almost every house situated in the vicinity along both sides of the Chao Phraya River establish groups of specialization for wickerwork, rattan, and bamboo wickerwork production e.g. Tambon Ongkharak Group, Tambon Bangchaocha Group, Tambon Bangrakam Group, Tambon Phlap Group, and Tambon Inthapramun Group.The noted wickerwork area of the province is in Ban Bangchaocha locating at Mu 8, Ban Yangthong

Wat Ban Phran

Is located in Tambon Sriphran. Take Pho Thong Sawaeng Ha route (Highway No. 3054) Km 21-22. It is unknown when this ancient temple was built. Regarding to Luangpu Chaimongkons (from Ayutthaya) narration, a couple called Mr. Phan and Mrs. Ngoen and their son, Mr. Krapukthong constructed Wat Ban Phran at the end of Sukhothai era during 1319-1327. After that, this temple was deserted and was overspread with thick weeds and trees for over 100 years. When hunters set up small village in this area, they helped renovate this temple. There is a legend saying that the laterite Buddha image called Luangpho Kraithong enshrined in this wihan was built by King Sri Intharathit in Sukhothai and removed into separated parts for assembly again as the principal Buddha image in Wat Ban Phran. Since the founder would like to build his own principal image, he constructed wihan to house the Buddha image called Luangpho Kraithong. Krai represents the robe, and shoulder clothes of Luangpho Kraithong. Some fine days at midnight, Krai will turn into sparkling light indicating good luck for those who happen to see. It is believed to be a sacred one being able to protect the worshippers from danger.

Wat Yang

Is located in Tambon Huaiphai and is presumably constructed in the late Ayutthaya period. The historical remains to be found now are ubosot with an upward curve base similar to junk, sandstone Buddha images, damaged stucco Buddha images and boundary stones. About half kilometer to the south of the temple, there is earthen mound where large quantities of amulets were found. Since it is not far away from Ban Bang Rachan, it is presumably a place for hiding precious treasures of the Thai people during that time.

Wat Khian

Is another ancient temple locating at Mu 8, Tambon Sanchao Rongthong, near Wat Wiset Chai Chan, which is 12 kilometers from Amphoe Mueang. Follow Highway No. 3454 for approximately 1 kilometer. Inside the ubosot are exquisite mural paintings featuring stories of 10 former incarnations of the Lord Buddha, which were presumably the workmanship of a painter school in Mueang Wiset Chai Chan in the late Ayutthaya period. The painting features are similar to those painted in the same period being in the ubosot to Wat Ko and Wat Yai Suwannaram in Phetchburi Province.

Wat Muang

Is located at Mu 6, Tambon Huataphan, approximately 8 kilometers from downtown. Go along Ang Thong Wiset Chai Chan route (Highway No. 3195) Km 29 for 1 kilometer, the temple will be on the left side. There are several important attractions in the temple. The ubosot of Wat Muang is surrounded by the biggest lotus petals in the world. Ground floor of Wihan Kaeo is a museum (open only on Saturday and Sunday during 9 am.5 pm.) exhibiting sacred objects, antiques, and figures of renowned monks from all over the country. The upper floor of the museum houses the first and largest silver holy Buddha image of the country, which was constructed in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of His Majesty the Kings throne ascendancy. Within the temple compound, there are figures of heaven and hell, Thai god paradise, Chinese god paradise, and a huge statue of Kuan Im female goddess. Besides, there are figures narrating the history of Thai-Burmese battle in Wiset Chai Chan. At the back of the temple, there is a fish park where you can also buy some local products of Ang Thong province here.

Wat Oi

Is an old temple representing a symbol of Mueang Wiset Chai Chan locating at Mu 10, Tambon Sanchao Rongthong, on the west bank of the Noi River. Follow Highway No. 3454 for approximately 2 kilometers and 1 kilometer from the north of Wat Khian. The temple is assumed to have been constructed in the Ayutthaya period, but there is no evidence by the reign of which king. The ubosot is a huge building consisting of 6 chambers made of brick and plaster in ancient design. The roofs were made of wood and covered with fire-clay tiles, as beautiful as the ubosot of Wat Ratchaburana in Ayutthaya. With Maha-ut design, there is no window in the ubosot. Special features of the ubosot are the pillars of the gallery in 8 directions. The principal Buddha image, called Luangpho Dam, is made of alloy of brass and tin. Wat Oi was used as a venue to hold the ceremony of taking the oath of allegiance to the king in the Ayutthaya period. In the precincts of Wat Oi, the Children Creation Foundation has provided accommodation for problem children: straying, drug addicted, or illegally behaved. The accommodation is called Ban Dek Klai Wat with the purpose of helping problem children to live better life. They can live with the beauty of natural surroundings and monks help to treat them mentally.

Wat Siroi

Is located on the bank of the Noi River, at Mu 4, Tambon Siroi. Follow Highway No. 3454 km.31-32 (on Pho Phraya Tha ruea or Ang Thong Wiset Chai Chan route about 12.5 km. kilometers to the west of Amphoe Mueang Ang Thong, take a left turn along the irrigation canal road for 5 kilometers). At Wai Siroi, there is a seated Buddha image in the posture of Pa Lelai, called Luangpho To - 21 meters high and 6 meters wide from knee to knee. Inside of the ubosot, there used to have exquisite mural paintings by the craftsmanship of painters school in Ayutthaya. At present, the paintings have been faded away.