Nonthaburi Temples (Wats)


Wat Boromracha Kanchanapisek Anusorn, Nonthaburi, Thailand

Wat Boromracha Kanchanapisek Anusorn, which took 12 years(1997-2009) to construct by Thailand's Chinese Buddhists, just completed in Nonthaburi's Bangbua-thong district.

Wat Sangkhathan 1

This monastery in Tambon Bang Phai possibly named Wat Sarikho in the late Ayutthaya period was built in Ceylonese Style by skillful craftsmen. The most notable spots of this temple are the glass Ubosot and the boat-shaped monk cells in a pleasantly shady area that tranquility is absolutely accessible. For more information, please call 0 2447 0799.

How to get there;
By car-Go along Rattanathibet road and cross Rama V Bridge. Then keep left, there will be a sign of direction to Wat Sangkhatan. Turn left at this sign and carry on around 2 kms.

By ferry-Take the ferry boat at Nonthaburi Pier to Bang Sri Mueang Pier, then get on the minibus heading to the temple.

Wat Sanghathan 2

Wat Borom Ratcha Kanchanapisek

Inside the Chinese-style temple Wat Borom Ratcha Kanchanapisek, Bangbuathong, Nonthaburi Province of Thailand.

Wat Bangkho,The beautiful temples

Wat Chonprathan Rangsarit

Wat Chonprathan Rangsarit is a peaceful temple located in the vicinity of Tambon Bang Talat, Amphoe Pak Kret on the Nonthaburi-Ha Yaek Pak Kret Road. Its multi-purpose bamboo shade compound is always popular with Buddhists who come to offer food to the monks and listen to the sermons given by the abbot, Phra Thep Wisutthi Methi (Panya Nandha Bhikku).

Wat Ku

This Mon style temple located on the bank of the Chao Phraya River in Tambon Bang Pud was constructed in the Thonburi period. Inside the old chapel, the walls are finely decorated with paintings in Mon style. The temple is known as the area where the shipwreck of King Rama V’s queen took place. Therefore, a palace has been built to commemorate her death. Her body was temporarily placed in the monastery before Lying-in-State in Bangkok. The ship was salvaged later and kept in the dock near Wiharn’s edifice enshrining a big reclining buddha. There is also a pavilion constructed as another remembrance to her death imitating Phra Thi Nang Aisawanthippaya Asna. in Bang Pa In Palace.
How to get there;
By car-From Pak Kret Pier, turn left into Soi Wat Ku on Sukhaprachasan Road. Pass Wat Bang Pud Nok and Suan Thip around 3 kms., the temple will be on the left.
By boat-Rent a boat at Pak Kret Pier and head towards north around 3 kms. It will take 10 minutes to see Wat Ku Pier on the right.

Wat Sao Thong Thong

Wat Sao Thong Thong was formerly called Wat Suan Mak .The temple was the first elementary school in Pak Kret. Behind the chapel lies the highest pagoda in Pak Kret. It is surrounded by two smaller pagodas. Beside the chapel, there are 2 large pagodas; one is a bell-shaped Lankan-style pagoda; another is a square-based pagoda. The chapel has beautiful gold-colored ceiling murals. The main Buddha image is a plaster image in the Man Wichai posture. The Mon people call this temple Phia A Lat.Wat Chim Phli consists of a small attractive chapel, which is still in good condition. The upper part of the chapel has woodcarving depicting an angel riding a chariot surrounded by floral patterns. The doorway has a pyramid (Mondop) shape). The windows are still lovely and the building base is in the shape of a junks hull. Wat Phai Lom was built in the late Ayutthaya period. A magnificent chapel features wood flower patterns. In front of the building are 2 small pagodas in the shape of a carambola fruit with a square base and plaster designs. Mons call this temple Phia To.

Wat Prasat

Wat Prasat was built in the reign of King Narai the Great (of the late Ayutthaya period). The ubosot possesses sophisticated craftsmanship: the upper part features a divine god riding garuda, the finial is decorated in Mon style while a royal lion is depicted beside the finial. The sampan-shaped ubosot base used no drilling during the construction. The reason behind the unusual shape of the building is that the shape would easily allow cool air to replace heat when it rises. The mural paintings here from the late Ayutthaya period are the works of advanced artists of the province. They are currently the oldest paintings of Nonthaburi. This temple has correctly preserved buildings and art. It is, therefore, a place of study for both Thais and foreigners. On the education building is a pulpit that is as old as the chapel.Getting there: It is located on the Bang Kruai-Sai Noi Road, Tambon Bang Krang.If taking a boat, the temple is accessible by walking through fruit orchards for 2 kilometres or if taking a car (more convenient), from Nonthaburi Pier get a ferry then a Song Thaeo of the Bang Yai-Tha Nam line. The stop is near Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat.

Wat Tamnak Tai

Another ancient temple is situated in Tambon Tha Sai on Sanam Bin Nam Road. According to the history, prior to the construction of this monastery, this area used to serve as King Krung Thonburi’s temporary royal pavilion. It is assumed that the Wiharn and the belfry were constructed in 1824 in the period of King Rama III.

Wat Saeng Siritham Floating Market

A floating market on Rattanathibet-tha It Marker Road, Tambon Tha It intends to promote the local products from the vicinity of the temple as well as from Ko Kret. This floating market is a wonderful place for relaxation not far from Bangkok. Opened on weekend and national holidays from 6 am. to 5 pm.

Wat Chalo

Established in the reign of King Barommagot of Ayutthaya period in the form of argosy, the temple is famous for its notably world’s biggest sworn-boat chapel. For more details, please contact 0 2447 5121, 0 2883 9277

Wat Pho Bang O

Wat Pho Bang O is a charming old temple dating from the Ayutthaya period that is accessible via a 200-metre walk from the temples pier.

It is in a dilapidated condition, but is being renovated by the Fine Arts Department.

During the reign of King Rama III, Prince Seni Borirak (the founder of the Seniwong family) renovated the temple.

The chapel that shares a similar style with the Temple of the Emerald Buddha has pillars which point to the same direction in order to maintain the balance.
The upper part of the chapel has woodcarving with Chinese patterns.
The sandstone temple boundary markers are located around the chapel and every corner of the chapel is surrounded by pagodas.
The door frames are decorated with beautiful sculptures that are made from sugarcane cement.

Getting There :By Boat Take a Tha Chang-Bangkok Noi-Bang Yai ferry line from Chang Pier. It operates from 06.30 to 23.00 hrs. and leaves from the pier every 30 minutes.
The best time for the visitors to ride a ferry is from 08.30 to 15.30 hrs.By Car From Phra Nang Klao Bridge turn left to Bang Kruai for 17 kilometres at Bang Bua Thong junction, turn right to Nonthaburi District Office at Wat Chalo, continue driving for 500 metres. Wat Bang O will be found on the right.

Wat Suan Kaew

Wat Suan Kaeo is a Buddhism diffusion centre. An innovative monk named Phra Phisal Dhamma Phati or Phra Phayom Kanlayano has initiated several projects for the Suan Kaeo Foundation. The Foundation aims to upgrade living standards of the poor and to develop society. Successful projects include the Rom Pho Kaeo, the shelter for the elderly, the supermarket for the poor, and the Suan Kaeo nursery projects. For donation and tours, contact tel. 0 2595 1444.

Getting there: The temple is reached by driving over Phra Nang Klao Bridge, turn left at the second intersection for 2 kilometres. Taking no.63 bus from Victory Monument is also another way to the peaceful temple.

Wat Amphawan

Wat Amphawan from the late Ayutthaya period was formerly called Wat Bang Muang. The most striking feature is a wooden scripture hall in the middle of a pond. This most complete example of Thai architecture has 2 rooms. Some of the features of the hall are wooden bars, a two-tiered roof covered with earthen tiles and woodcarving with exquisite designs. The entrance door is primed with gold leaves, the mullion is crafted into flowers and gourds, above the doors are birds on each side, and beyond them the radiant sun and moon are depicted. At the rear, a tray on a pedestal and wooden Buddha images are housed.

Getting There:

- The 5-minute ride on a long tail boat from Bang Yai District Office can make the journey.By Car Driving on Bang Bua Thong-Taling Chan outer ring road, turn left at Tambon Bang Muang.

Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat

This temple is a royal monastery located to the west of the Chao Phraya River. It was constructed under the royal command of King Rama III to dedicate to his mother and grandparents who resided in this area. The construction was completed in the reign of King Rama IV. The combination of Thai and Chinese-style ubosot (chapel) can be seen in an attractively peaceful temple compound. This unique architectural ubosot possesses an earthen mosaics roof of natural colors, which had been laid in a Chinese style and beautiful Chinese mosaics crafted into a striking flower on its upper part.

The chapel consists of a colorful mural painting of falling flowers, door and window panels have lacquered gold leaf designs, gables have raised plaster flower designs, the floor is decorated with mirrors, and the inside part of the door and window panels has drawings of lotuses, birds and aquatic animals.

The main Buddha image enshrined in this chapel is in the Sadung Man posture. It is made entirely of copper. According to legend, King Rama III commanded that copper be mined in Amphoe Chanthuk in Nakhon Ratchasima Province. A sizable quantity of high-grade copper was subsequently obtained. The king wished for the copper to be used in religious affairs and ordered the molding of Buddha images to be housed as main images within 2 new temples that were Wat Ratchanadda and Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat. He also ordered the molding of images in 34 other postures. The image at Wat Chaloem Phra Kiat was completed in 1846. However, misfortune accompanied the transfer of the main image to Wat Ratchanadda when the carriage carrying the image rolled over and killed Chao Phraya Yommarat (Bunnak) and 2 other officials. In the reign of King Rama IV, he named the image Phra Phutthamaha Lokaphinanthapatima to mark the tragedy.

In 1858, King Rama IV placed the main Buddha image in the royal chapel here. It is in the Man Wichai posture flanked by servants. It sits on a pedestal and is the only one of its kind.

Other interesting historical artifacts include a Lanka pagoda and Phra Si Maha Pho Phan Phothikhaya dating from the reign of King Rama IV can be seen in the temple.

Wat Chompuwek

This monastery is located in Tambon Tha Sai, on Sanam Bin Nam-Nonthaburi Road. The temple’s old name was Chompuwiweg because of its location on a tranquil hill. Built in the late Ayutthaya era by Mon in 1757, Wat Chompuweg still has the beautiful mural paintings in the Wiharn and Ubosot, as well as the Mon style pagodas constructed by Mon monks in 1917.

How to get there;
By bus Take the bus number 69 or take a minibus from Phra Nang Klao Bridge. For more information, call 184.

Wat Chotikaram

Wat Chotikaram Constructed in 1807 in Tambon Bang Phai, Wat Chotikaram’s old name was Wat Sam Chin. The most beautiful spot of this monastery is Viharn Song Rong where not only the walls, but also floor and ceiling are covered with splendid mural paintings.

How to get there; Use the same direction of Wat Sangkhatan. It is easy to go there by following the signs of direction.

Wat Khemaphirataram

Wat Khema Phirataram Ratchaworawihan is located on the east bank of the Chao Phraya River in Tambon Suan Yai, 2 kms. south of the town centre. The temple covers an area of 10.4 acres, its back facing Phibun Songkhram Road. The lovely temple was built during the Ayutthaya period and later in the reign of King Rama II, it was given the name Khema. Under Queen Srisuriyenthramats patronage, the temple was renovated.In the reign of King Rama IV, it was renamed Wat Khema Phirataram as well as was refurbished.Behind the ubosot lies the main 30-metre tall pagoda called Phra Maha Chedi containing Lord Buddhas relics and Ayutthaya-style Buddha images that were brought from Chan Kasem Palace. The Monthian Throne Hall and the Daeng Royal Residence can be seen in the temple compound.Getting there: The temple is accessible by various buses. For more information on buses contact tel. 184. Alternatively, take a Rewadi-Pak Nam local truck (Song Thaeo) line or the Chao Phraya Express Boat, get off at Nonthaburi Pier, and then ride no. 203 bus or take a ferry from Bang Si Muang pier to Nonthaburi Pier, and then connect with another no. 203 bus.