Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 80
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118

    Need some travel ideas

    I will be landing in Bangkok in August.

    I have three days to go where ever I want to.

    I don't want to go anywhere in Thailand.

    I would like my travel experience to be less then three hours if possible and on a fairly frequent route (so I am not waiting around airports etc - must be a direct flight)

    I have already been to most mains places in Laos, Vietnam, Singapore, Indonesia (only Bali though) Hong Kong /Macau and Cambodia.

    I am seeking something different but not all that keen on Burma or China.

    Is there any special place that I am missing?
    Last edited by MeMock; 29-05-2014 at 09:24 PM.
    News is what someone, somewhere is trying to suppress - everything else is just advertising.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    aging one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:11 PM
    Posts
    16,932
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock
    I would like my travel experience to be less then three hours
    Typo mate?

    3 days in Burma with pre planning might be great. Take a look at Terry's threads on Burma..

  3. #3
    Banned

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    03-06-2014 @ 09:01 PM
    Posts
    27,545
    Try Yunnan Province, China.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock
    I am seeking something different but not all that keen on Burma or China.
    Must have missed this bit!

    Quote Originally Posted by aging one
    3 days in Burma with pre planning might be great. Take a look at Terry's threads on Burma..

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Rural Surin View Post
    Try Yunnan Province, China.
    Ermmmm you as well!

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Why not Burma ? It's pretty good.

    Or Nepal ?

    Sri Lanka ?

    Tibet ?

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    taxexile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,354
    penang, wonderful little place. good food. easy to get around. history. one hour flight from bkk.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Ok, I'll bite KW. Sell me Burma. What is so good about it?

    I looked up Nepal and Tibet but the direct flights are few and far between.

  9. #9
    loob lor geezer
    Bangyai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Last Online
    02-05-2019 @ 08:05 AM
    Location
    The land of silk and money.
    Posts
    5,984
    Gotta be Penang.

    Not too far
    Frequent flights
    Nice quiet beaches
    Lots of History
    Great Indian, Chinese food etc.
    Old fort to explore
    Penang hill with jungle canopy walk and bikes for hire
    Penang Tower ..great views ( forget its name )
    Botanical gardens
    Nice night market for cheap grub and beer
    Cheap motorcycle hire for round island drive ( great roads especially north coast towards Batu Firinghi )
    Pretty girls
    Interesting little museums


    For a small island it is tough to beat.

    Langkawi is nice if you only want beaches but for a real mix of everything ..........Penang.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    penang, wonderful little place. good food. easy to get around. history. one hour flight from bkk.
    Ahhhh Penang. It is a place I was considering. Please tell me more about it.

    *edit* just saw Bangyai's response

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Quote Originally Posted by MeMock
    Sell me Burma. What is so good about it?
    Bagan plains, thousands of old temples, flat country side you can ride a bike around. friendly people, delicious food. Hot air balloon. horse and cart rides.

    Mandalay - interesting city, more old stuff to see and visit. temples. indian influence to the food, markets.

    Inle lake, beautiful. boating or biking.

    towards Shan state, forests.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    Albert Shagnastier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    22-03-2015 @ 09:09 PM
    Location
    City of Angels
    Posts
    7,164
    Nepal

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 10:06 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,716
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    penang, wonderful little place. good food. easy to get around. history. one hour flight from bkk.
    I'd go for Penang, good few day sight seeing, good food etc.
    Are you coming up my way, could do with a beer with an English speaker. Jim

  14. #14
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    03-12-2018 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668
    Penang is great lived there for a yaer but very sticky and hot in July better enjoy in Nov Dec or Chinese New year.

    Kandy an easy $30 taxi from Colombo Airport

    Dail or Lijiang in Yunan China need a visa unles have a PRC card etc
    My pick at this time of year Taiwan or Macau cooler both short hop on Ai Asia anyhwhere south stinking hot unless you fork out for real nice time at Freemantle about 5hrs from KL perhasp 6 from BKK always go on $99 early specials of AA or Tiger.

    You can come sit in my pool free supping chang free massage wifi just bring lots of Cheese and Marmite (not MtD) the vegemite substitute
    I used to have a job at a calendar factory.
    I got the sack because
    I took a couple of days off.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    Roobarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Online
    23-04-2016 @ 12:30 AM
    Location
    UAE
    Posts
    1,617
    OK, it's four hours flight but

    Day 1:

    Hop over to Delhi, get a taxi from the airport to Agra (about three hours on the new Noida Expressway) and if there's time when you get to Agra then have a wander around Agra Fort.



    Day 2:

    In the morning go and see the Taj Mahal.



    Get there early and leave by mid-morning then get the car to take you to Neemrana Fort Palace Hotel (about 6 hours on fairly decent back roads through rural Rajasthan).



    Day 3: Chill out at the hotel, taxi to Delhi airport takes about an hour and a half from there on the highway.

    Delhi airport is decent and quick to get through. All in all the trip is a great little flavour of India with very little of the traditional Indian hassle.

    In case you do go then its worth bearing in mind that the Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays. I did exactly the same trip about 6 or 7 weeks ago (and yes, I have been meaning to post a travel thread but, you know...). PM me if you want any info.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by taxexile View Post
    penang, wonderful little place. good food. easy to get around. history. one hour flight from bkk.
    I'd go for Penang, good few day sight seeing, good food etc.
    Are you coming up my way, could do with a beer with an English speaker. Jim
    A few votes for Penang - will do a little more research on the place.

    Decided against heading to Ubon on this trip Jim as I only have a few days spare.

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Quote Originally Posted by david44 View Post
    Penang is great lived there for a yaer but very sticky and hot in July better enjoy in Nov Dec or Chinese New year.

    Kandy an easy $30 taxi from Colombo Airport

    Dail or Lijiang in Yunan China need a visa unles have a PRC card etc
    My pick at this time of year Taiwan or Macau cooler both short hop on Ai Asia anyhwhere south stinking hot unless you fork out for real nice time at Freemantle about 5hrs from KL perhasp 6 from BKK always go on $99 early specials of AA or Tiger.

    You can come sit in my pool free supping chang free massage wifi just bring lots of Cheese and Marmite (not MtD) the vegemite substitute
    I have done Macau/HK and went to Taiwan 2 years ago although must admit all I did for 5 days was watch baseball world cup qualifiers and so only saw the hotel and the stadium.

    I actually live Western Australia so Fremantle is out.

    Where do you live david44?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat
    MeMock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Baan Nok Ubon / outback Australia
    Posts
    11,118
    Roobarb - thanks heaps for the in depth suggestion but that sure sounds like a lot of time sitting in a taxi!

  19. #19
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    03-12-2018 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Roobarb View Post
    OK, it's four hours flight but

    Day 1:

    Hop over to Delhi, get a taxi from the airport to Agra (about three hours on the new Noida Expressway) and if there's time when you get to Agra then have a wander around Agra Fort.



    Day 2:

    In the morning go and see the Taj Mahal.



    Get there early and leave by mid-morning then get the car to take you to Neemrana Fort Palace Hotel (about 6 hours on fairly decent back roads through rural Rajasthan).



    Day 3: Chill out at the hotel, taxi to Delhi airport takes about an hour and a half from there on the highway.

    Delhi airport is decent and quick to get through. All in all the trip is a great little flavour of India with very little of the traditional Indian hassle.

    In case you do go then its worth bearing in mind that the Taj Mahal is closed on Fridays. I did exactly the same trip about 6 or 7 weeks ago (and yes, I have been meaning to post a travel thread but, you know...). PM me if you want any info.
    Don't miss deserted city of Fatepuri Sikhri over the Yumna river,more interesting to me than Agra,If you grew up in Uk Red Fort is like many railway stations!
    Fatehpur Sikri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Arrive early at Taj to avoid crowds.
    I was v lucky day I went said closed some Commonwealth pm official tour but as they all left at lunch myself and 6 others had the place to ourself free.
    There is really not much more to see than the photo the mausoleum to Mumtaz is an empty shrine albeit in lovely white like a large shower room,Better Gardens at KRS near Bangalore or Lake Dahl in Kasmir

    As for my location golden triangle area if you don't break early end up in the Mekhong,pm for directions,Fly Bangkok Kunming bail out half way.
    Only 2 house rules,piss in the pool,refill,piss on the cat come again.

    PS at this max heat time of year I'd sooner be if not Terry frre Freo then Burwood,Dunsborough or Margaret River,each to their own.

    If your hiker N Borneo while Jesselton (Kota Kinabalu cheap 2 hrs on AA from ASEAN) is clammy the Mount Kinabalu climb will make you swaet but cool at top.

    If you like Islands thePerehantians opp side to Penang,The duty free Labuan off Brunei but part of Malaysia or Sulawesi Manado and then the sheer drop sea verigo stuff.Chegdu for Pandas.

    As another poster noted for climate Nepal ,Mustang and the western heights and with Everest climbers restricted probably some bargains can visit a school project if you pm me.For Nepal bring your own hygiene,despiite 4 millenia of Hindu wisdom kunterleany and 2 millenia of Buddhism the are still learning to wash!

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    pseudolus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    18-08-2019 @ 10:50 PM
    Location
    On the range
    Posts
    17,608
    Kota Kinabalu.

    A great place to stay a few days.

  21. #21
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    03-12-2018 @ 01:21 PM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,668

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
    Kota Kinabalu.

    A great place to stay a few days.
    Isn't a bit more 'sticky' than normal now or as near equator sticky all year?

    I think Joffrey and a few others may advise

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat
    Ratchaburi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:55 AM
    Location
    Ratchaburi
    Posts
    5,194
    I would go for Penang , I have not been there myself, but I have traveled from the Thai border with Malaysia to the bridge across to Singapore many time.
    I very much like Malaysia very clean & easy to get around.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    60,017
    Or Indonesia, spend a lazy week at Lake Toba then head towards Aceh to visit the Orangutangs and some pristine beaches.

  24. #24
    Member Drainpipe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Last Online
    13-06-2014 @ 07:19 PM
    Posts
    191
    Yes, Sumatra is well worth a visit

    Lake Maninau is less touristy than Toba, similar volcanic origin

  25. #25
    Philippine Expat Davis Knowlton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    17,873
    Penang sounds good; I was there for a few days and enjoyed it. I would have put up some Philippine ideas, but none fit Mock's travel criteria.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •