Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45
  1. #26
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    Quote Originally Posted by [I]Nimu Makaje[/I]
    "They would be detained, interrogated. That can lead to mistreatment and torture," he said.
    What a ridiculous thing to say, it's a well known fact that Thailand treats its prisoners humanely, just like America does.

  2. #27
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    from the blogworld ..................
    Host: [examining the bottom of the device] At first, I thought this was where the battery was, but there is no battery here or way of powering it. [Using the pen] As you can see there is there is nothing in the bottom of the device. Therefore, the sensor or some other component must be in the top half of the device [as she is indicating with her hands]. We can't open the top half of the device. [Turning to the guest] Is there anything in the top part of the device?

    Guest: There is nothing. Once there is an accident and and the device came apart. There was nothing inside.

    Host:So it is just two pieces of plastic put together.
    BP: The guest is not just some "evil-scientist-in-the-pay-of-foreigners-and-Thaksinto-discredit-the-Thai-military", but is actually a senior official at Central Institute of Forensic Science,* namely Pol. Lt. Col. Somchai Chalermsuksan (พ.ต.ท.สมชาย เฉลิมสุขสันต์).

    Stories: Bangkok Pundit | Asian Correspondent

  3. #28
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    Angkhana Neelapaijit, head of the Working Group on Justice for Peace, claimed 400 Thai-Malay Muslims had been forced into "occupational training" by the Army after they were wrongly detected with traces of explosives by the GT200.

    Southerners got 'training' after tests by dodgy device - Nationmultimedia.com

  4. #29
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    26-06-2015 @ 01:33 AM
    Location
    โรงแรมม่านรูด
    Posts
    4,290
    PB reports today that the latest military scam is The Alpha 6:

  5. #30
    Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Last Online
    20-10-2018 @ 08:15 PM
    Location
    khon kaen
    Posts
    237
    Quote Originally Posted by Mid View Post
    Angkhana Neelapaijit, head of the Working Group on Justice for Peace, claimed 400 Thai-Malay Muslims had been forced into "occupational training" by the Army after they were wrongly detected with traces of explosives by the GT200.
    what exactly does "occupational training" mean ? Do they force them to learn how to become bricklayers ?

  6. #31
    Mid
    Mid is offline
    Thailand Expat
    Mid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    1,413
    guidance on correct thinking to become a useful member of society .........

  7. #32
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    27-07-2013 @ 03:49 PM
    Posts
    25
    Good to see a lot more people questioning the useless GT200, we are keeping the pressure up in the UK and are pushing the authorities to take action against, Gary Bolton the MD of Global Technical makers of the GT200.
    Gary Bolton is the same guy that originally made the MOLE, which is exactly the same as the, Alpha 6, the Quadro Tracker and all the other useless scam devices. The Mole was actually tested by the Sandia Labs in 2002 and fouind to perform 'no better than chance'.
    regards

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat
    dirtydog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Pattaya Jomtien
    Posts
    58,776
    The Thai results on their testing of the GT200 are most likely to be dependent on how much money is being passed around, don't be suprised to read great reports in the Thai press about these life saving devices

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Last Online
    20-10-2012 @ 04:24 PM
    Posts
    7,959
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtydog View Post
    The Thai results on their testing of the GT200 are most likely to be dependent on how much money is being passed around, don't be suprised to read great reports in the Thai press about these life saving devices
    Surely not in Thailand?

  10. #35
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    27-07-2013 @ 03:49 PM
    Posts
    25
    Great news the UK cops have finally raided and arrested Bolton for his fraudulent device the GT200, see the link for the story;

    BBC News - Police raids expand bomb detector probe

    regards

  11. #36
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    26,936


    “Faith” plays a part in determining if GT200 bomb detectors are worth the money

    When trying to determine the worthiness of the controversial GT200 hand-held bomb detectors, another factor should be taken into consideration: faith.


    At least that’s what a member of the National Anti-Corruption Commission believes.


    The purchases of the GT200 hand-held bomb detectors, produced by a British firm, by the army and other law enforcement agencies about 10 years back became a major scandal after they were found to be nothing more than worthless pieces of metal that were not designed to detect bombs.


    The scandal was taken up by the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) but nothing has come out of the investigation so far.


    Mr Surasak Srivichien, a member of the NACC, admitted Wednesday the case is particularly complicated because the value of the controversial bomb-detectors cannot be measured in financial term alone. “It’s sometimes a matter of faith as well. Like faith that some people have in amulets,” he said.


    He said if soldiers in the fields have faith in the bomb-detectors and believe they work, then they would consider the equipment worth the money spent. But he admitted that there are people who question their worthiness considering the prices paid.


    The army under then commander-in-chief Gen Anupong Paochinda spent about 500 million baht to procure GT200 bomb detectors which are made of empty plastic boxes attached with antennae at about 900,000 baht apiece from a private British company.

    A top executive of British manufacturer of GT200 Global Technic, James McCormick, was sentenced to 10 years in 2013 by British court on fraud charges for selling fake bomb detectors to several countries, including Thailand.


    Mr Surasak, however, reaffirmed that the investigation of the GT200 procurement case was still on going and the NACC would wrap up the case before the expiry of the statute of limitations.
    ?Faith? plays a part in determining if GT200 bomb detectors are worth the money |

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,560
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    He said if soldiers in the fields have faith in the bomb-detectors and believe they work, then they would consider the equipment worth the money spent.

    FFS. TIT. FFS.

    I'm hatching a plan. Empty plastic boxes with antenae AND amulets attached that will, purportedly, make the bearer invulnerable to everything including theft and fraud and, most importantly, criticism.
    Should be able to sell them for a cool mill each to every hiso in the country.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    Troy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:44 AM
    Location
    In the EU
    Posts
    6,105
    I believe he has a point, although it may sound a little silly in the way it has been translated.

    Without a detection device making any progress with infantry in a hostile area can be very slow and painful. With a device that people have faith in that progress will be improved considerably whatever its failings.

    Shot instead of HE shells and even wooden rifles, during WW1 gave people something. Fitting sidewinders to Nimrods during the Falklands gave the crews something, however futile against a fighter.

    Just gives people enough to keep going in the face of danger.

  14. #39
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    11,560
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    I believe he has a point, although it may sound a little silly in the way it has been translated.

    Without a detection device making any progress with infantry in a hostile area can be very slow and painful. With a device that people have faith in that progress will be improved considerably whatever its failings.

    Shot instead of HE shells and even wooden rifles, during WW1 gave people something. Fitting sidewinders to Nimrods during the Falklands gave the crews something, however futile against a fighter.

    Just gives people enough to keep going in the face of danger.
    I take your point.
    There's 2 issues though. One from the OP is that it's about corruption (or at the very least dumb ignorance and sackable incompetance) to buy patently fake gadgets without testing them. The other thing is lives were put at risk and in fact lost because of that faith in a piece of junk.
    A grunt wielding a wooden rifle knows it doesn't shoot bullets and won't pull the imaginary trigger and yell "bang bang", instead he'll duck for cover. A security guard with faith in his bomb dectector will let bombs through.

  15. #40
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,422
    When you can distinguish chatter con from Jatukom you'll have true no ledge

    Seems pongy had a better handle on the bung than the mere technical details, no charity utterly hopeless but faithful , sums up an entire mentality where the armed rich thugs and their cocksuckers amass demerit for the next life and come back as Pizzaboys.

    P.S what happened to DrBob is he banned/miserabled or dead?
    I used to have a job at a calendar factory.
    I got the sack because
    I took a couple of days off.

  16. #41
    Thailand Expat
    Farang Ky Ay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    1,403
    Worth the money? At 900k bahts a piece, that's quite an expensive amulet, the people saying it wasn't a bad bargain clearly didn't have to pay for it from their own pocket...but as it's public money, who cares?!

    Some politics have been charged with dereliction of duty for unwise spendings but unsurprisingly that seems not to apply to military purchases (GT200, blimp, carrier vessel, submarines...) In NAAC's eyes.

    Nothing to see, carry on folks

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    26,936
    GT200 bomb detector company charged with selling fake products

    BANGKOK, 10th October 2018 (NNT) - Don Mueng Kwaeng Court has sentenced an exectuive of Avia Satcom Co. Ltd, to nine years in prison for selling sub-standard GT200 remote substance detectors to the Central Institute of Forensic Science (CIFS).

    Three members of Avia Satom Co. Ltd, including Mr. Suthiwat Wattanakit , Mrs. Sasakorn Pluemjai and Ms. Panthaweesap Sudyajai were accused of selling remote metal detectors worth 6.8 million baht that failed to work to CIFS.

    Don Mueng Kwaeng Court however, dropped all charges against Mrs. Sasakorn Pluemjai and Ms. Panthaweesap Sudyajai due to insufficient evidence to indicate that they were conspiring with Mr. Suthiwat . The court has ordered Mr. Suthiwat , a company executive, to pay a fine of 10,000 baht and return 6.8 million baht to CIFS. He will also be imprisoned for nine years.

    His lawyer, Mr. Wora-att Soonthornaphichart , claimed his client was merely a salesperson not a manufacturer of the products. Mr. Suthiwat was just selling the remote metal detectors as there had been no reports of any malfunction when they were previously sold to military units. Mr. Suthiwat was granted bail of 700,000 baht.

    http://thainews.prd.go.th/website_en...C6110100010022

  18. #43
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    26,936
    GT200 bomb detector company charged with selling fake products

    BANGKOK, 10th October 2018 (NNT) - Don Mueng Kwaeng Court has sentenced an exectuive of Avia Satcom Co. Ltd, to nine years in prison for selling sub-standard GT200 remote substance detectors to the Central Institute of Forensic Science (CIFS).

    Three members of Avia Satom Co. Ltd, including Mr. Suthiwat Wattanakit , Mrs. Sasakorn Pluemjai and Ms. Panthaweesap Sudyajai were accused of selling remote metal detectors worth 6.8 million baht that failed to work to CIFS.

    Don Mueng Kwaeng Court however, dropped all charges against Mrs. Sasakorn Pluemjai and Ms. Panthaweesap Sudyajai due to insufficient evidence to indicate that they were conspiring with Mr. Suthiwat . The court has ordered Mr. Suthiwat , a company executive, to pay a fine of 10,000 baht and return 6.8 million baht to CIFS. He will also be imprisoned for nine years.

    His lawyer, Mr. Wora-att Soonthornaphichart , claimed his client was merely a salesperson not a manufacturer of the products. Mr. Suthiwat was just selling the remote metal detectors as there had been no reports of any malfunction when they were previously sold to military units. Mr. Suthiwat was granted bail of 700,000 baht.

    National News Bureau Of Thailand | GT200 bomb detector company charged with selling fake products

  19. #44
    POTUS HOCUS
    david44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Location
    Inner Wrongholia
    Posts
    13,422
    Of course the recent "crackdown" on poor foreigners reveals the TD mods plimsoll line

    BUM detector

    working fine


  • #45
    Thailand Expat
    Farang Ky Ay's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:17 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    1,403
    Still not going after those who spent loads of public money on theses bogus devices though?

  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •