Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 206
  1. #26
    Balls to Monty
    Looper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 PM
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Since she escaped trouble to seek our help... we will not send anyone to their death
    Why did the BBC doctor the quote to remove the comedy bit?

    Since she escaped trouble to seek our help, we are the Land of Smiles, we will not send anyone to their death
    https://www.xxx.xxx.xx/news/2019-01-...ngkok/10693516



    We are being sold a dummy here fellow ockers. She is not as cute as her airbrushed facefart pic with fake western blue eyes suggests.



    Having said that I do still have a couple of student rooms free even at this late date just before the semester starts if that helps to swing the deal with the Thai/Oz authorities w.r.t. accomodation logistics.

  2. #27
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,121
    Saudi woman ends airport hotel standoff




    An 18-year-old Saudi woman who fled her family at the weekend has left Bangkok airport "under the care" of the UN refugee agency, the head of Thailand's immigration police says.

    Thai immigration officials had tried to return Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, to Kuwait, where her family is.

    But she refused to board a flight on Monday and barricaded herself into her airport hotel room.

    She said she feared her family would kill her as she had renounced Islam.

    "My brothers and family and the Saudi embassy will be waiting for me in Kuwait," Ms Mohammed al-Qunun told Reuters.

    The Thai authorities said her status would be assessed by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR).

    On Monday evening local time, Thailand's chief of immigration police Surachate Hakparn confirmed that Ms Mohammed al-Qunun was "allowed to stay", and that she "left the airport with the UNHCR".

    Mr Surachate said he would meet Saudi diplomats on Tuesday to clarify Thailand's decision.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46777848
    signature

  3. #28
    Member
    KiCanCummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Last Online
    15-07-2019 @ 11:00 AM
    Location
    Kanada
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I've never transited the US to go elsewhere, so I wouldn't know.

    But I know you can clear US immigration in Canada and land "domestically" so to speak.

    Having said that, the US doesn't trumpet (excuse the pun) its tourism numbers like Thailand does.
    A few years ago in transit from AKL to YUL, via LAX we had to go thru US Immg' at LAX, if one is on the same A/C traveling onward the US put all onward passengers in a "Secure" holding "pen", noted this with the NZ 1 flight from LHR to AKL via LAX at the time.
    Not sure if it is still done since 9/11. As I DO NOT travel onward thru the US since the 9/11 fiasco.

    Canada has allowed the US to "setup shop" in Canadian Airports to facilitate the travel to the lower 48.
    Moved back to LOS, living in Issan

  4. #29
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Mr Surachate said he would meet Saudi diplomats on Tuesday to clarify Thailand's decision.
    Why? It's none of their business. He's opening himself up to some persuasion; I'd be very careful if I was her and get to the Australian embassy, get permissions and papers, and get the hell out of Dodge asap.

    Luckily this young woman has balls enough to fight and seek help. Had she not had a phone, or had she been a little bit meeker, Thailand would have simply run roughshod over her individual rights and caved in to the Saudis.

  5. #30
    Thailand Expat
    YourDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Location
    Council flat. Thanks suckers!
    Posts
    2,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Why? It's none of their business. He's opening himself up to some persuasion; I'd be very careful if I was her and get to the Australian embassy, get permissions and papers, and get the hell out of Dodge asap.

    Luckily this young woman has balls enough to fight and seek help. Had she not had a phone, or had she been a little bit meeker, Thailand would have simply run roughshod over her individual rights and caved in to the Saudis.
    I appreciate the story and I appreciate the intelligence. I don't know how I would have reacted in a similar situation. I panic easily.

    There was some shit when I was immigrating to Canada back in 1992 when Serbia was completely shut from the rest of the world. I had to take a bus to Budapest then a plane to Canada with my mom who is Croatian. We had to be composed and happy about our "tourist" visit to Hungary while Serbs could have separated me any time if they suspected I was deserting the army (19 years old).

    I hate Thailand for what they have done here. I don't think I can live in a place like this anymore. Normally the stories don't upset me much here as I accept a lot of things as they are..... but this one did. They can have their Big Joke.

  6. #31
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Location
    SW Australia
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Luckily this young woman has balls enough to fight and seek help.
    Pity she didn't stop the Saudi arsehole taking her passport, or at least call for help.
    But she's only a kid and has done well so far.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by docmartin View Post
    Pity she didn't stop the Saudi arsehole taking her passport, or at least call for help.
    But she's only a kid and has done well so far.
    As I understand it, she was duped into handing it over. She has done well.

  8. #33
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Saudi woman ends airport hotel standoff




    An 18-year-old Saudi woman who fled her family at the weekend has left Bangkok airport "under the care" of the UN refugee agency, the head of Thailand's immigration police says.

    Thai immigration officials had tried to return Rahaf Mohammed al-Qunun, 18, to Kuwait, where her family is.

    But she refused to board a flight on Monday and barricaded herself into her airport hotel room.

    She said she feared her family would kill her as she had renounced Islam.

    "My brothers and family and the Saudi embassy will be waiting for me in Kuwait," Ms Mohammed al-Qunun told Reuters.

    The Thai authorities said her status would be assessed by the UN refugee agency (UNHCR).

    On Monday evening local time, Thailand's chief of immigration police Surachate Hakparn confirmed that Ms Mohammed al-Qunun was "allowed to stay", and that she "left the airport with the UNHCR".

    Mr Surachate said he would meet Saudi diplomats on Tuesday to clarify Thailand's decision.

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46777848
    The only thing we know without a shadow of doubt is that she will not end up in Britland.

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Why? It's none of their business. He's opening himself up to some persuasion; I'd be very careful if I was her and get to the Australian embassy, get permissions and papers, and get the hell out of Dodge asap.

    Luckily this young woman has balls enough to fight and seek help. Had she not had a phone, or had she been a little bit meeker, Thailand would have simply run roughshod over her individual rights and caved in to the Saudis.
    Yes, they owe the Saudis quite a lot.

  10. #35
    Thailand Expat
    YourDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Location
    Council flat. Thanks suckers!
    Posts
    2,864
    Blue Diamond affair often mentioned was a bit before my time, so I googled


    In 1989, Kriangkrai Techamong, a Thai worker, stole jewellery and other valuable gems from the palace of Prince Faisal bin Fahd, where he was employed as a servant.[2] Kriangkrai had access to the prince's bedroom and hid the stolen jewellery in a vacuum cleaner bag at the palace. It included a valuable blue diamond and other gems, which Kriangkrai then shipped to his home in Lampang Province, Thailand.


    Recovery
    A Royal Thai Police investigation by a team headed by Lieutenant-General Chalor Kerdthes led to Kriangkrai's arrest and the recovery of most of the stolen jewellery. Kriangkai was sentenced to seven years in prison, but he was released after three years as he cooperated with the police and had confessed.


    Lieutenant-General Chalor's team flew to Saudi Arabia to return the stolen items. However, the Saudi Arabian authorities discovered that the blue diamond was missing and that about half of the gems returned were fake.[3][4]


    In Bangkok, rumors spread in the local press that charity gala photos captured a number of government wives wearing diamond necklaces resembling those stolen from the palace. This fueled Saudi suspicions that Thai police and VIPs had taken the jewels for themselves.


  11. #36
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I'd be very careful if I was her and get to the Australian embassy, get permissions and papers, and get the hell out of Dodge asap.
    I very much doubt she's going to Australia now.

  12. #37
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:52 AM
    Posts
    16,104
    Yeah, that's because you think she should apply for an asylum visa.

    Which is nuts.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Last Online
    26-03-2019 @ 11:28 AM
    Location
    across the street
    Posts
    4,111
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    I very much doubt she's going to Australia now.
    Aussie's not denied her entry and is showing support for her.....going to Oz looks like a possibility at this point

  14. #39
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Posts
    59,205
    Quote Originally Posted by KiCanCummins View Post
    A few years ago in transit from AKL to YUL, via LAX we had to go thru US Immg' at LAX, if one is on the same A/C traveling onward the US put all onward passengers in a "Secure" holding "pen", noted this with the NZ 1 flight from LHR to AKL via LAX at the time.
    Not sure if it is still done since 9/11. As I DO NOT travel onward thru the US since the 9/11 fiasco.

    Canada has allowed the US to "setup shop" in Canadian Airports to facilitate the travel to the lower 48.
    If you're transiting in a Gulf airport, you get off the plane, go through a metal detector and then straight into the departures lounge.

    I have been through Swampy before and just gone up the escalator to departures, but I guess they want to get the tourist numbers up these days.

  15. #40
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Location
    SW Australia
    Posts
    450
    A person who recognises a bullshit culture for what it is and wants to go somewhere saner should be welcomed in Australia.
    Especially as it takes courage to stand up for yourself and that is lacking here.
    Aussies think of themselves as rough, tough, don't-take-crap-from-anyone types but in reality are the biggest bunch of forelock-tugging crawling snivellers imaginable.

  16. #41
    Thailand Expat
    YourDaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Location
    Council flat. Thanks suckers!
    Posts
    2,864
    I wish I had a respectful job like that bald U.N. guy.

  17. #42
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    If you're transiting in a Gulf airport, you get off the plane, go through a metal detector and then straight into the departures lounge.

    I have been through Swampy before and just gone up the escalator to departures, but I guess they want to get the tourist numbers up these days.
    I'm not familiar with Swampy but if you take Changi for example and you're in transit but your next flight is with a different code-share airline and departing from a different terminal, you have to go out through SIN immigration, check in with your airline, and go back out to airside again.
    Is it possible that's what happened in this case?

  18. #43
    The Fool on the Hill
    bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:41 AM
    Location
    alone on a hill
    Posts
    4,018
    Quote Originally Posted by Looper View Post
    We are being sold a dummy here fellow ockers. She is not as cute as her airbrushed facefart pic with fake western blue eyes suggests.

  • #44
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,841
    Quote Originally Posted by docmartin View Post
    in reality are the biggest bunch of forelock-tugging crawling snivellers imaginable.
    I disagree, quite strongly. Depends on your social circles though

  • #45
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Location
    SW Australia
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I disagree, quite strongly. Depends on your social circles though
    My circle has a lot of people with arrest and conviction records for being stand-up types.
    But the proles are pathetic generally.

  • #46
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Posts
    59,205
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I'm not familiar with Swampy but if you take Changi for example and you're in transit but your next flight is with a different code-share airline and departing from a different terminal, you have to go out through SIN immigration, check in with your airline, and go back out to airside again.
    Is it possible that's what happened in this case?
    No - it's one building, arrivals on 2, departures on 4.

  • #47
    Member
    harrybarracuda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Posts
    59,205
    Quote Originally Posted by docmartin View Post
    A person who recognises a bullshit culture for what it is and wants to go somewhere saner should be welcomed in Australia.
    Especially as it takes courage to stand up for yourself and that is lacking here.
    Aussies think of themselves as rough, tough, don't-take-crap-from-anyone types but in reality are the biggest bunch of forelock-tugging crawling snivellers imaginable.
    She isn't an Australian citizen. If her passport has been taken away, I would imagine their option is to grant her asylum and issue her an emergency travel document.

    That may be what is going on behind the scenes now that she's out of Swampy.

    However, it's up to the Thais, and they are not very keen on upsetting the Saudis for obvious reasons.

    If you think China is bad for tit-for-tat arrests, I would not be feeling comfortable as a Thai in Saudi Arabia right now.

    I also wouldn't want to be a Saudi returning from a lads trip to Thailand for that matter.

    Also, Australia has a A$1.5Bn trade surplus with Saudi which might influence things.

  • #48
    Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:34 PM
    Location
    SW Australia
    Posts
    450
    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post

    Also, Australia has a A$1.5Bn trade surplus with Saudi which might influence things.
    Wot ? Money is more important than principles ??

    Who'd a thought .....

  • #49
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    17-07-2019 @ 10:57 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    17,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Is it possible that's what happened in this case?
    Any thing is possible. According to the OP;

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    She was trying to head to Australia via a connecting flight in Bangkok.
    Was she in possession of a return ticket/and boarding cards, KWI - BKK - SYD and hence as 'arry suggests looking to take the escalator up to the departure floor in swampy?

    Quote Originally Posted by harrybarracuda View Post
    I have been through Swampy before and just gone up the escalator to departures,
    OR

    Was her passport confiscated by a SA official in swampy?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    her passport was seized by a Saudi diplomat when he met her coming off the flight at Suvarnabhumi airport.

    A Saudi envoy in Bangkok denied any official Saudi involvement in Ms Mohammed al-Qunun's detention.

    "The embassy does not have the authority to arrest (anyone) at the airport or elsewhere," Abdellilah al-Shaayibi told news website Sabq. "She was stopped by airport authorities because she violated Thai laws".
    OR

    Was her passport confiscated by a Thai IO when she admitted she didn't have a return ticket to Kuwait?

    OR

    Was it being kept secure for, as happens to many who cannot be admitted into a country due to "paper work mistakes", handing over to the captain of her return flight to KWI.

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverna View Post
    Thai police Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn told the BBC that Ms Mohammed al-Qunun was escaping a marriage. Because she did not have a visa to enter Thailand, he said police had denied her entry and were in the process of repatriating her through the same airline she had taken, Kuwait Airways, by Monday morning.

    Gen Surachate said he was unaware of any passport seizure.

    Meanwhile, Thailand's immigration chief Surachate Hakparn told AFP the case was a "family problem" and the teenager "had no further documents such as [a] return ticket or money".
    OR

    Rules and regs don't apply to this particular person because of she is female, her age, her citizenship, her "daddies" connections, or her lack of knowledge regarding international travel when one does not fly in a private plane owned by someone with diplomatic passports for themselves and their entourage?

    OR

    Her credit card had been stopped by her "guardian".?


    .................................................. ..
    Last edited by OhOh; 08-01-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  • #50
    Custom user
    Neverna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Behind a rhododendron bush
    Posts
    17,121
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrille View Post
    Yeah, that's because you think she should apply for an asylum visa.

    Which is nuts.
    Umm. Do I suspect sarcasm in your post? And was it directed at me or Maanaam? (Maanaam I hope!)

  • Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •