Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 337
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,822

    Health Insurance Now Required for Long Stay Expats

    ...I guess we can ask Tod as to when this latest edict comes into effect: https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/110..._campaign=news

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Posts
    10,561
    love it

    Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    Sumatra
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    love it

    Asked about foreigners who cannot buy health insurance because their health risks are considered too high, Nattawuth said relevant authorities might consider requiring them to have higher deposits in bank accounts so as to make sure that they have enough to live in Thailand.
    ..... or more accurately. Enough to die in Thailand.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,178
    Why is it not seen, if married with children, that as per the Thai way, the children will care for the parent(s). There once was an extension, based on being supported by a Thai child, where a farang could get an extension without showing money in the bank. I obtained one in 2006-7, as I recall. So what happened to the 'Thai way?'

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:54 PM
    Posts
    10,561
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    ..... or more accurately. Enough to die in Thailand.
    ... and make someone happy with his bank balance

  6. #6
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,425
    Well, it took a while, but looks as though they finally found a deal breaker for the majority of farangs.

  7. #7
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Well, it took a while, but looks as though they finally found a deal breaker for the majority of farangs.
    Too soon to tell. Immigration has been floating all sorts of "requirements" too see reaction. This is likely another.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat terry57's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:07 PM
    Posts
    25,919
    Once again it will only be the Farang peasants who will piss their pants over Lielands latest Brain Fart.

    Many other cuntrys require Health Insurance from Foreign scum who want to stay long term so why do you shitters think you should be immune from the new regulations just because ya been here long term and are a round eyed White boy. ??

    Cashed up Farang in, Farang peasant fook orf.

    Pack ya bags shit stains.
    Stroller is a Yerman faggot.

  9. #9
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,425
    Oh do fuck off terry. The adults are talking.

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat misskit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    28,545
    It’s really the shits if one is planning to live out their days in Thailand. Costs for over the over 75 gang gets too high.

    Can’t see why the government couldn’t let the “old timers” buy into the 30 baht plan if they want to die like a Thai, that is, without all the life extending treatments.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    charleyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Location
    Cha-am.
    Posts
    3,695
    Tewwy, you're a coont. Now fook off and clean your air conditioner, you scruffy piece of shite!

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Can’t see why the government couldn’t let the “old timers” buy into the 30 baht plan if they want to die like a Thai
    They actually did try it a few years back but cancelled it after about a year. Thailand government claimed it was only meant for migratory foreigners.

  13. #13
    The poster you can trust Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    22,093
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    Why is it not seen, if married with children, that as per the Thai way, the children will care for the parent(s). There once was an extension, based on being supported by a Thai child, where a farang could get an extension without showing money in the bank. I obtained one in 2006-7, as I recall. So what happened to the 'Thai way?'
    What happened?

    As usual, dodgy farangs abusing the system.

    2 of my mates got it at the time, one got the extension based on being supported by a 14 year old, the other based on being supported by a 3 year old.*


    Little wonder it was foked off after a year, and back to 400k in the bank or documented 40k p/m income based on wife or child.





    * I didn't have a child at the time, but was willing to steal one.

  14. #14
    disturbance in the Turnip baldrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:44 PM
    Location
    Heidleberg
    Posts
    21,048
    Quote Originally Posted by terry57 View Post
    Many other cuntrys require Health Insurance from Foreign scum who want to stay long term
    name them


    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    Can’t see why the government couldn’t let the “old timers” buy into the 30 baht plan if they want to die like a Thai,
    pallative care insurance - enough to pay for a nurse and morphine

  15. #15
    The Fool on the Hill
    bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Location
    alone on a hill
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    pallative care insurance - enough to pay for a nurse and morphine
    In a nutshell that's pretty much all that's really required.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat tomcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    9,822
    Quote Originally Posted by bowie View Post
    In a nutshell that's pretty much all that's really required.
    ...nonsense: swollen prostates, fatty livers, high blood pressure, morbid obesity, etc may all require medical attention well before a trip to the oven...

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Darkside, Pattaya
    Posts
    5,833
    Quote Originally Posted by misskit View Post
    It’s really the shits if one is planning to live out their days in Thailand. Costs for over the over 75 gang gets too high.

    Can’t see why the government couldn’t let the “old timers” buy into the 30 baht plan if they want to die like a Thai, that is, without all the life extending treatments.
    Wouldn't that "person" be on a permission to stay extension rather than a visa ?

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,558
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    Long Stay Expats
    Define long stay and how it relates to a one year visa or extension at the time of application.

  19. #19
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    They actually did try it a few years back but cancelled it after about a year.
    They did and like then, this too shall pass. No need to panic. As always, will be at discretion of your local immigration office.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:46 PM
    Location
    Sumatra
    Posts
    3,229
    Indonesia requires life insurance. All handled by honest (cough) agents here.

  21. #21
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    29,197
    Quote Originally Posted by Switch View Post
    Indonesia requires life insurance. All handled by honest (cough) agents here.
    Likely same will transpire here if this health insurance requirement prevails.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat Pragmatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Last but who gives a shit.
    Posts
    11,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Norton View Post
    As always, will be at discretion of your local immigration office.
    It surely was, being as when I got mine the IO said that I had to show some money in that I had to prove I could sustain myself. But the logic behind the extension was that I didn't have to sustain myself as my child was looking after me.
    As I recall, we settled on showing 200,000 in the bank. But I can't recall if I had to have a bank letter confirming such.

  23. #23
    The Fool on the Hill
    bowie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:47 AM
    Location
    alone on a hill
    Posts
    3,900
    Quote Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
    ...nonsense: swollen prostates, fatty livers, high blood pressure, morbid obesity, etc may all require medical attention well before a trip to the oven...
    hmm... sounds like a shit load of pre-existing conditions you let yourself fall into, good luck getting an insurance company to "foot-the-bill" of your lifestyle

  24. #24
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
    I had to prove I could sustain myself.
    If the logic is that the foreigner has to show he can sustain himself for a year, they'd accept seeing the balance, expiry date and limit of his overseas credit card. Future extensions could be based on that credit card being maintained.

  25. #25
    CCBW
    JPPR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    5,493
    Man there are some people losing their minds over this (Not on this site but the other). I can understand being it appears that many live on the ragged edge and a financial set back like this could be a lot of stress especially if they are all in. But one has to believe that they know things would change, they always do.

    For now, its life as usual. Like all new rules and regs anywhere in the world there will be adjustments, considerations and likely allowances and as we all know every immigration office will have their own spin on it. There is nothing defined yet. The Nation news clip had nothing in it, it just started mass hysteria.

Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. Phuketrichard

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •