Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 146
  1. #1
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,873

    Amendments to Police Order 138/2257 (using monthly income)

    Okay you wing-nutz

    Here are the amendments to ONE of the two police orders that are in effect concerning extensions of stays

    This is 138/2557 and covers the supporting documents and provisos for extensions and 327/2557 is the criteria and conditions. You really use them in conjunction with each other but all I have is the first one.

    • For countries that still issue the income affidavit they will still be accepted like normal.
    • For countries that don't issue them any more you need to show 40K baht (for marriage/raising kids) per month (every month). This can be in the form of tax statements based on employment here in thailand OR in transfers to a thai bank account from overseas for 12 months before you apply for your extension and for retirement you need to show 65K baht a month per month (every month) for 12 months before you apply for your extension.


    There is a post on the thai visa forum where someone says the immigration office is going to "work" with people this first year and allow less than a full year's worth of transfers to be shown

    BUT

    Unfortunately that's not how I'm reading the thai version.

    It says for the first year when someone retires they are not obligated to show the 12 months of deposits via bank transfers. They use an example of IF you retire in Oct you only need to show the deposits from Nov on. It doesn't make any reference to an allowance for the first year THIS new amendment takes effect.

    I am hoping that in the other police order 327/2557 they will address this because it's the one that lists seasoning of funds etc. Until I get my hands on that one you know as much as I do.

    I am sorry if this raises more questions than it answers..
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    20,312
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    OR in transfers to a thai bank account from overseas for 12 months before you apply for your extension
    Finer details may be required for some. Does this have to be from your home country (passport) or can it be from any country? For example oil workers or sandpit fellas, getting paid from the Middle East, Columbia or wherever, can that be sent directly to Thailand and used without having to first go through their passport country?

    Could a drug dealer from Holland have money transferred from Ibiza every month and that be used simply by showing monthly transfers from Spain to Bangkok Bank?

    • For countries that still issue the income affidavit they will still be accepted like normal.
    What if their embassy still does offer the affidavit, do they have to use that or could they use the proof of income sent directly from Bongobongoland to a Thai bank?


    It sounds like a step back in security if so. It was often the case that it had to come from their home country.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    12-01-2019 @ 07:27 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,873
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Finer details may be required for some. Does this have to be from your home country (passport) or can it be from any country? For example oil workers or sandpit fellas, getting paid from wherever in the Middle East, Columbia or wherever, can that be sent directly to Thailand and used without having to first go through their passport country?
    There is no mention of the funds originating in country of passport origin, only "from abroad". It would just have to show on their bank book as an international transfer in.


    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    What if their embassy still does offer the affidavit, do they have to use that or could they use the proof of income sent directly from Bongobongoland?
    IF the country still issues the affidavit of income from abroad notary letter and you want to use monthly income to meet the financial requirements it appears you have two choices; use the consulate notary letter as proof (like everyone has been doing) OR transfer in 65K baht a month for the previous 12 months before you apply for your extension .

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    20,312
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    only "from abroad"
    That will open up a lot of options for people. Those working online or those being paid by non-Thai, non-home country companies, or those with multiple clients in different countries.

    To further it, I presume it doesn't mention that the xx,xxxthb has to be transferred as one sum each month, but if someone has numerous overseas clients that pay bit by bit from different countries, totaling more than the monthly amount than that could be used.


    If so, it will probably help quite a few people that previously had to go the Multi-Entry Non-O route as they couldn't get extensions without a lot of ballache.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,157
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    For countries that don't issue them any more you need to show 40K baht (for marriage/raising kids) per month (every month). This can be in the form of tax statements based on employment here in thailand OR in transfers to a thai bank account from overseas for 12 months before you apply for your extension and for retirement you need to show 65K baht a month per month (every month) for 12 months before you apply for your extension.
    So what's to stop a person with less than that simply revolving the money in and back out every month? The Thai bank book will show 40/65 k coming in monthly, and obviously that money is for spending so will be withdrawn, but could be withdrawn to send back home and once again be transferred to Thailand.
    Obviously there's a cost, but I'm just looking at it academically. It might just suit some. Say the GBP dropped drastically and a retiree's pension was now 50k baht. The retiree could transfer his pension plus a revolving 15k each month.

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,134
    Ok, here's a question. I have transferred funds from my US bank to my wife's Bank of Bangkok account for the past 13 years. What are the chances of the Thai government accepting these funds as a monthly income? Zero to none? The reason I ask is because I would have to make a trip back to the US to change everything to my Thai bank account.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,157
    Quote Originally Posted by rickschoppers View Post
    Zero to none?
    I would say zero. I've read that even funds to a joint account are not accepted. You may find it cheaper and quicker rather than go to the US, slip over to Malaysia, open an account there, and have your wife's account send money to the Malay account, and the Malay account send the money to your Thai account.
    To save costs, I'd assume 120/195k per 3 months would satisfy Thai requirements of 40/65 per month?

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat jabir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    6,057
    In the old days I used my own account for the requirement, switched it for convenience to a joint account which was rejected, then changed it back to what was working.

    Glorious Thai leaders constantly fantasise about shedding their 3rd World status, in true Thai fashion without acknowledging that part of this involves growing up to become friendly and welcoming toward significant income sources, rather than instituting vanity projects that create new hoops for its expats.
    /daily moan
    Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,157
    Quote Originally Posted by jabir View Post
    Glorious Thai leaders constantly fantasise about shedding their 3rd World status, in true Thai fashion without acknowledging that part of this involves growing up to become friendly and welcoming toward significant income sources, rather than instituting vanity projects that create new hoops for its expats.
    This.

    I have a German neighbour. He's in his 70's and has been here for 12 years. The other day he went to "renew his visa" (as he put it) as he has done for the last 12 years at the Immigration office. He was handed a new form which his landlord has to fill out and the landlord has to personally take the form in to Immigration. The guy lives in an apartment block and the owner is always busy, but apparently if the landlord doesn't go in with the form, he will be fined.
    How to ingratiate yourself with your landlord. It's just another hoop, this time one that landlords have to jump through.
    Big Joke's idea on how to catch the bad farang.

  10. #10
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    This.

    I have a German neighbour. He's in his 70's and has been here for 12 years. The other day he went to "renew his visa" (as he put it) as he has done for the last 12 years at the Immigration office. He was handed a new form which his landlord has to fill out and the landlord has to personally take the form in to Immigration. The guy lives in an apartment block and the owner is always busy, but apparently if the landlord doesn't go in with the form, he will be fined.
    How to ingratiate yourself with your landlord. It's just another hoop, this time one that landlords have to jump through.
    Big Joke's idea on how to catch the bad farang.
    Personally? Strange. They started issuing a new form 2 or 3 years ago - that gets passed to the landlord who fills it in, and attaches a signed copy of her ID - but its part of my submission package. If we start needing landlords to go - a lot of farangs going to be homeless!

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat Humbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:25 PM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    12,021
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    This can be in the form of tax statements based on employment here in thailand
    I guess this would apply to visa for marriage to a Thai national but I don't understand why someone who is employed in Thailand and presumably has a work permit which allows them to obtain a one year non-immigrant B visa, would want a visa based on marriage?

    Other than that it seems pretty straight forward and simpler than using an embassy letter.
    This post has not been authorized by the TeakDoor censorship committee.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    20,312
    Landlords have always had to register any aliens staying in their property within 24 hours of their arrival.

    Getting a new extension sorta resets the clock, so not surprised they tie it into getting an extension as it's killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Also get a multiple re-entry permit while there. 3 birds with 1 stone.

    It wasn't enforced until around 3 years ago, when the immigration rozzers started going around to various condos fining the Westerners that hadn't been registered there. Even though it is legally up to the landlord to register them, and them that should be fined.


    One of my agents rang in a a bit of a tizzy around 2 years ago, when a Canadian tenant got on to her that he had the rozzers on him about it. Anyway, he paid up as directed to by the coppers, probably not knowing the landlord was a Westerner or they'd probably have tried to fine both of us.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,157
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    Personally? Strange. They started issuing a new form 2 or 3 years ago - that gets passed to the landlord who fills it in, and attaches a signed copy of her ID - but its part of my submission package. If we start needing landlords to go - a lot of farangs going to be homeless!
    That's what he said, personally. He may be mistaken, but he was worried in case the apartment block owner was late. Yes, it will be a kerfuffle and I suspect will be dropped soon. All I have had to do is get my landlords blue book and my tenancy agreement.

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    20,312
    That's odd.

    If you're neighbours, you (would) go to the same Immigration Office as him, if you've ever been.

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    16,050
    What is the effective date of this revised police order? I suspect that may be an area to haggle.

    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    To save costs, I'd assume 120/195k per 3 months would satisfy Thai requirements of 40/65 per month?
    I would like to assume one payment of THB 800K per year would satisfy Thai requirements of 40/65 per month.

    I would like the exchange rate to go back to THB 50/GBP.

    I would like to win the lottery.

    I would like to get into Noi's pants more often.

    Maybe it's my lucky year.

    Last edited by OhOh; 05-01-2019 at 05:55 PM.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,134
    Any thoughts on this translation?

    https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic..._campaign=news

  17. #17
    Thailand Expat
    rickschoppers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Thailand
    Posts
    7,134
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I would say zero. I've read that even funds to a joint account are not accepted. You may find it cheaper and quicker rather than go to the US, slip over to Malaysia, open an account there, and have your wife's account send money to the Malay account, and the Malay account send the money to your Thai account.
    To save costs, I'd assume 120/195k per 3 months would satisfy Thai requirements of 40/65 per month?
    Something to look into and I would need to look into the fees and requirements to open a Malay bank account.

  18. #18
    Days Work Done! Norton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Roiet
    Posts
    28,492
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    I am sorry if this raises more questions than it answers
    Good info. Moves things to more clarity. In my case, showing 65k+ per month over year prior to extension is straight forward.

  19. #19
    lom
    lom is online now
    Thailand Expat lom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:32 PM
    Location
    Trapped in an old mans body
    Posts
    7,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    To save costs, I'd assume 120/195k per 3 months would satisfy Thai requirements of 40/65 per month?
    I wouldn't assume that since the amendment says monthly transfer.
    You can of course, as before, transfer the whole amount 400k/800k in one go but they must have been in the bank for the last three month when you do your extension renewal. After that you are free to do whatever you want with them for 9 month, rinse and repeat.
    I do not have Twitter or Instagram so instead I walkabout in the streets. shouting to randomly selected
    people what I've eaten, drunk, and what my home looks like.
    It is after all important to build networks.
    So far I have 3 followers, one is apparently a doctor and the others are policemen.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:31 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    16,050
    As many have implied this appears to be an amendment, dated 26th December 2018, to existing orders. Announcing some changes or additions but not rescinding many existing alternative methods of compliance.


    That will allow your local TI officer ample "leeway" in their decision making. Wonderful.

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    That's odd.
    Your obsession with me is what's odd.
    The old German is on a retirement visa and has money stashed away in a Thai bank account. Neither of those things apply to me.
    I go to that same office once a year to report where I'm living. Will have to wait until June/July before I find out if my landlord has to present himself, as the German guy claims.
    As I said, blue book and tenancy agreement is all I've had to show in the past.
    Do keep up. Your desperation to find a flaw is making you overlook things, as usual.

  22. #22
    Pedantic bastard
    nidhogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    14,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I go to that same office once a year to report where I'm living.
    No 90 day reporting then.

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    13,157
    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    No 90 day reporting then.
    No. Border runs.
    Cue Lu and his WP tirade

  24. #24
    festive member stroller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    out of range
    Posts
    22,661
    Quote Originally Posted by Luigi View Post
    Does this have to be from your home country (passport) or can it be from any country?
    Do your bank statements show the country of origin or is there just a short for overseas remission?

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat Luigi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Abuja
    Posts
    20,312
    ^^ Hello.

    Quote Originally Posted by nidhogg View Post
    No 90 day reporting then.
    Works illegally without a WP, licensing etc.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •