Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 139
  1. #1
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 11:50 AM
    Posts
    11

    Non O visa based on marriage savannaket

    Hi

    Would appreciate very much up to date info about the above.

    Never done this before. Remember reading you can get a 1 year non o based on marriage from savvanakhet in laos.

    Is it 5k baht?

    What documents do i need to take?
    What's the best timing (i.e drop off before noon day one and pick up afternoon day 2 etc?

    Cheap ok hotel to stay at

    Any other tips about the trip (will be doing it from BKK)

    Thanks a lot in advance for your help guys. Cheers

  2. #2
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 11:50 AM
    Posts
    11
    forgot to mention the main point too - this is possible without proof of funds?

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,696
    Did Sav 3 months ago, no money needed to show, depending where you are coming from [distance] stay the night on the Thai side of the river.

    Morning cross over, take $30 US with you, Lao visa $30 US or 1500 Baht, save 500 Baht.
    On the Lao side, tuk tuks and mini buses will be waiting, if your wife {Thai} is with you, let her make the deal, driver will charge 200 baht per passenger {farang] and fill the Tuk Tuk up, I take the wife and 2 kids all the time, bit of a road trip, 200 baht for the family.

    Paper work, I take everything, form filler across the road, nice guy, Lao with a yank accent will photocopy what's needed, 100 B sometimes they want more, sometimes less, this time, wedding certificate, blue house book and wife's ID.

    Hand it in to the Embassy office, before 11 am, this time, never looked at the original documents, guessing the form fillers word is good enough.
    5000 Baht and think 3 photo's and you get a number ticket, to pick up the next day.

    Avalon hotel [ drink a bit when there, memory is not good ] 10 min walk from the Embassy, get a room, cross the road turn left, 100 meters and there is a bar, sit down and get drunk on beer Lao.

    Next day, pay 200 Baht for a tuk Tuk or walk 10 minutes to the Embassy, get your passport and make a deal to get back to the border.

    Done, have done this for years.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrandom View Post
    forgot to mention the main point too - this is possible without proof of funds?
    Did mine April. Not asked for proof of funds.
    What you need is Thai marriage cert or certified foreign marriage cert, signed by your wife (heaven knows why she needs to sign it),and your wife's Thai ID. The Savanakhet Thai consulate has a website with the application form so you can download, print, and see what else you need...I think that's all.
    Biggest thing to consider is this: You can only submit in the morning and only recieve back in the afternoon, next day. It does require an overnight stay, or if you're flying in from BKK, with flights only on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, you need to get in Monday afternoon, submit the application Tuesday morning, receive back Wednesday arvo (too late for flight) and return to BKK Friday arvo so a few night's stay. Crossing over the bridge (Mukdahan) means only one night stay.
    Boring place, but the people are lovely.

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    17,434
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrandom View Post
    Any other tips about the trip (will be doing it from BKK)
    There is a bus from Bangkok, Mo Chit Bus Station, to Mukdahan.

    From ฿502 one way, times and various companies at this web site:

    https://12go.asia/en/travel/bangkok/...ection=forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    and your wife's Thai ID
    Original plastic card or a signed photocopy? Does she need to be there in person?
    Last edited by OhOh; 28-11-2018 at 09:35 PM.
    A tray full of GOLD is not worth a moment in time.

  6. #6
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 11:50 AM
    Posts
    11
    Thank you so much guys.

    James, brilliant info, thanks bro.

    Maanaam - filled in the gaps - many thanks.

    Ohoh - thanks also.

    For a moment I thought I wasn't going to get the info and would have to go and talk to the wankers on Thai Visa

    Top work chaps - muchas gracias

    A very merry Christmas and New Year to you all.

    Cheers!

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    17,434
    Some pictures and a story of your adventure posted here, will be ample reward.

    There is plenty to be found here and a lot to be disregarded. Amusement, info, heartbreaking stories, but generally fun. Come back soon.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Original plastic card or a signed photocopy? Does she need to be there in person?
    No, wife was with me, kids in tow, Consult never asked for a letter from the wife, even thought she was there.

    Think the form filler ticks a box. and makes it all ok.

  9. #9
    Newbie

    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 11:50 AM
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Some pictures and a story of your adventure posted here, will be ample reward.

    There is plenty to be found here and a lot to be disregarded. Amusement, info, heartbreaking stories, but generally fun. Come back soon.
    Nice one OhOh, I just arrived on a VOA and have 3 weeks left, so I'll be heading off on this trip in about 2 weeks from now. For sure, I'll take pictures and post up a report, least I can do for the sterling advice I've received here.

    Cheers!

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    17,434
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrandom View Post
    I just arrived on a VOA and have 3 weeks left
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    Thai marriage cert or certified foreign marriage cert,
    This is a Thai Official marriage certificate obtained from the local government office.

    I hope you've known the lady you married a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    Think the form filler ticks a box. and makes it all ok.
    It might be useful if you have contact details for the "form filler" to send "mrrandom" any location details, "across the road from xxx bar/hotel.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,696
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    t might be useful if you have contact details for the "form filler" to send "mrrandom" any location details, "across the road from xxx bar/hotel.
    Other side of the road from the consulate.

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by OhOh View Post
    Original plastic card or a signed photocopy? Does she need to be there in person?
    I don't know. When I went, the wife was with me. But it brings up an interesting detail. At the consulate, you queue up for your turn at the counter window. It's like at a secure bank where you can just pass things under a glass barrier, except here it's not glass and you can not see who you're dealing with... and they can not see you, just your hands. In theory, you could hire a person to do the whole thing as no clients are looked at, just their documents, hands, and money.

  13. #13
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    18-06-2019 @ 08:44 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    I don't know. When I went, the wife was with me. But it brings up an interesting detail. At the consulate, you queue up for your turn at the counter window. It's like at a secure bank where you can just pass things under a glass barrier, except here it's not glass and you can not see who you're dealing with... and they can not see you, just your hands. In theory, you could hire a person to do the whole thing as no clients are looked at, just their documents, hands, and money.
    you certainly don't need to drag your wife with you and ONLY need signed copies of the required documents
    original Kor Ror 3 marriage certificate (the one with the roses around the border) <- they want to see its real
    You need copies of the following
    • front & back of the Kor Ror 3 marriage certificate
    • front & back of the Kor Ror 2 marriage paper <- looks like a form all in thai (not always required by Savannakhet)
    • front & back her your wifes thai i/d card
    • thai wife's house book listing
    • your passport data page
    • your lao visa and entry stamp

    you sign everything with your name on it, she signs everything with hers meaning you BOTH sign the marriage certificates

    A filled out application, two passport sized photos and 5000baht gets you a year-long, multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type O visa

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Thanks for clearing that up. As a matter of interest, we only have our NZ marriage certificate and so had to go to BKK to get the Australian Embassy (NZ marriage, but I'm Aussie passport) to get a photocoy of the marriage cert, signed and stamped as a true copy by the head honcho. Took about 5 minutes and cost 600 baht. Funny how it's only a certified copy, not certified as being genuine. Of course, it being a non-Australian marriage cert, and the copy was done by Australia, the original could very well have been a fake

  15. #15
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    26,425
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    you certainly don't need to drag your wife with you
    You do if you don't wanna be bored to tears in that shithole that is Savannakhet.

    Treat her and pay for the suite with jacuzzi at Dao Savannh hotel(3,500 baht and well worth it)which has a great river view, swimming pool and cable tv, instead of staying in those box room motels.They have a nice buffet breakfast and a tandem you can ride around on There's a nice rooftop restaurant overlooking the river just up the road with live music for somewhere to go at night, i forget the name, turn right out of hotel. The hotel will also drop you off for free in there tuktuk at the Thai consulate when you are ready to go. I heard they pick you up too.

    You can find the Non o application form and Laos visa forms online, which will save you time.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    You do if you don't wanna be bored to tears in that shithole that is Savannakhet.

    Treat her and pay for the suite with jacuzzi at Dao Savannh hotel(3,500 baht and well worth it)which has a great river view, swimming pool and cable tv, instead of staying in those box room motels.They have a nice buffet breakfast and a tandem you can ride around on There's a nice rooftop restaurant overlooking the river just up the road with live music for somewhere to go at night, i forget the name, turn right out of hotel. The hotel will also drop you off for free in there tuktuk at the Thai consulate when you are ready to go. I heard they pick you up too.

    You can find the Non o application form and Laos visa forms online, which will save you time.
    That's where we stayed. Peaceful. I don't know when you were there last, but the place is a bit run down now. Nice enough though. That place with the live music, we went there too. Very nice sitting above the water, but the music (stereo not live when we went) was ridiculously loud and I couldn't wait to finish my beer and get out.
    A bit of a walk, but further up that road and turn right, there's a market of food stalls every night.

    Another thing. Past the Thai embassy, there's an OTOP shop. Worth a visit if for nothing else than the various fruit liquors they have for a pittance.

  17. #17
    Member
    thaiguzzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Location
    Udon Thani province
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    You do if you don't wanna be bored to tears in that shithole that is Savannakhet.

    Treat her and pay for the suite with jacuzzi at Dao Savannh hotel(3,500 baht and well worth it)which has a great river view, swimming pool and cable tv, instead of staying in those box room motels.They have a nice buffet breakfast and a tandem you can ride around on There's a nice rooftop restaurant overlooking the river just up the road with live music for somewhere to go at night, i forget the name, turn right out of hotel. The hotel will also drop you off for free in there tuktuk at the Thai consulate when you are ready to go. I heard they pick you up too.

    You can find the Non o application form and Laos visa forms online, which will save you time.
    I used to think similar, especially compared to VTNE.
    But now i disagree. Things have moved on and there are some very nice bars (some with bands & music) set up mainly for the young locals, all near the main Christian church & evening market, near the well know French resto.
    The last two times i've been there (ie 2 years) i've had a thoroughly enjoyable evening.
    Been coming to SVKT for over 10 years, always solo. Drive the truck to Mukdahan and leave it overnight.
    As for 3 & a half k for an overnight room, i prefer to stay in a shithole for a tenth of the price.
    Each to their own.

  18. #18
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    near the well know French resto.
    If it's the same one we went to, on a soi heading towards the river from the market... I was not impressed. So much so that I got a refund for one of the dishes. I'm not usually one to complain in restaurants and can eat most anything but the "slow cooked beef with tomatoes" was in fact fried boot leather with tomato ketchup poured over it and sprinkled with raw onion slices.

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    26,425
    Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    As for 3 & a half k for an overnight room
    Its not one room, you get a huge living room, a huge bedroom, a big double balcony with river views and a step in whirlpool.

    The free tuk tuk saves you a good few baht, the breakfast is thrown in with the price too and its on the river so youve got no reason for return tuk tuks.


    Quote Originally Posted by thaiguzzi View Post
    Been coming to SVKT for over 10 years, always solo
    I'd stay in Avalon too if alone, I prefer to turn it into a family trip nowadays though and even take in the Missus family on the road trip up and back.

  20. #20
    Thailand Expat
    OhOh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:14 PM
    Location
    Where troubles melt like lemon drops
    Posts
    17,434
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrandom View Post
    I just arrived on a VOA and have 3 weeks left, so I'll be heading off on this trip in about 2 weeks from now.
    I'm more concerned the OP may have only known his wife for a few weeks.

  21. #21
    Member
    thaiguzzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:49 AM
    Location
    Udon Thani province
    Posts
    420
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
    Its not one room, you get a huge living room, a huge bedroom, a big double balcony with river views and a step in whirlpool.

    The free tuk tuk saves you a good few baht, the breakfast is thrown in with the price too and its on the river so youve got no reason for return tuk tuks.




    I'd stay in Avalon too if alone, I prefer to turn it into a family trip nowadays though and even take in the Missus family on the road trip up and back.
    Avalon -
    too posh
    too close to the consulate.
    I said i like shitholes. Real shitholes.
    Enclosed pic of the quality bathroom wiring.
    Never taken a tuk tuk in central downtown - walk or cycle everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    26,425
    ^Would that be Nouansavan Guesthouse...



    Think I'd sooner sleep on a cardboard box

  23. #23
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,842
    There's a nice house up for sale across the road from the consulate. I remarked to my wife it would be good to buy and convert to a boutique guest house. The fact that visa applications are only accepted in the morning and only given back the next afternoon means everyone has to sleep a night. A guest house right there could be good, especially if you built a pool. You'd always have 2 or 3 guests, and you probably wouldn't want any more. Rake in the bucks at the bar, too.

  24. #24
    Member
    tunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Last Online
    26-03-2019 @ 04:33 PM
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by jamescollister View Post
    Did Sav 3 months ago, no money needed to show, depending where you are coming from [distance] stay the night on the Thai side of the river.

    Morning cross over, take $30 US with you, Lao visa $30 US or 1500 Baht, save 500 Baht.
    On the Lao side, tuk tuks and mini buses will be waiting, if your wife {Thai} is with you, let her make the deal, driver will charge 200 baht per passenger {farang] and fill the Tuk Tuk up, I take the wife and 2 kids all the time, bit of a road trip, 200 baht for the family.

    Paper work, I take everything, form filler across the road, nice guy, Lao with a yank accent will photocopy what's needed, 100 B sometimes they want more, sometimes less, this time, wedding certificate, blue house book and wife's ID.

    Hand it in to the Embassy office, before 11 am, this time, never looked at the original documents, guessing the form fillers word is good enough.
    5000 Baht and think 3 photo's and you get a number ticket, to pick up the next day.

    Avalon hotel [ drink a bit when there, memory is not good ] 10 min walk from the Embassy, get a room, cross the road turn left, 100 meters and there is a bar, sit down and get drunk on beer Lao.

    Next day, pay 200 Baht for a tuk Tuk or walk 10 minutes to the Embassy, get your passport and make a deal to get back to the border.

    Done, have done this for years.
    That nice guy across the street with the yank accent is Tony. Thats an American accent. He can be very helpful. He knows exactly what you need for every visa. He is right there, sees and hears about it 5 days a week. I also think he has connections inside the consulate.

  25. #25
    Thailand Expat Dillinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    26,425
    Quote Originally Posted by Maanaam View Post
    There's a nice house up for sale across the road from the consulate. I remarked to my wife it would be good to buy and convert to a boutique guest house. The fact that visa applications are only accepted in the morning and only given back the next afternoon means everyone has to sleep a night. A guest house right there could be good, especially if you built a pool. You'd always have 2 or 3 guests, and you probably wouldn't want any more. Rake in the bucks at the bar, too.
    Good idea that, could also offer an intensive course on how to fill a form in to our Yank and Aussie friends

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •