Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    07-11-2018 @ 05:58 PM
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    23

    Best visa option to get Thai Mrs to Australia permanently?

    I have a mate who has been seeing this Thai chick for about 12 months, plenty of proof of relationship stuff, shes been to Australia on 1 tourist visa (3 months). The thing is she has a bun in the oven now (4 weeks) and he is keen to do whatever it takes to get her here on a permanent basis asap. The critical thing is he wants her to have bub here and stay here from that point on. I reckon he could apply for a fiance visa but that would entail taking the risk of not getting approved in time before bub arrives? Anyone out there know of any other options? Would tourist visa do the job then while shes here get married and stay here? Any help would be appreciated Cheers.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    7,077
    Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) ... ​Processing time = 13 months (75 % of applications processed)
    https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300-

    As for having the bub 'here' ... she doesn't qualify for Medicare.
    Private births can be $1,000's of dollars.
    If the infant is born prematurely, a humidicribs (Neonatal intensive care unit) are circa $1,000 a day alone.

    Consider this, if the push is for the baby to have Australian Citizenship then that can easily be achieved by
    the birth in Thailand and applying through the Embassy in Bangkok for 'Citizen by Descent' ... same same
    as Australian Citizenship.

    The couple doesn't have to be married.

    We had our kids in Thailand ... http://teakdoor.com/the-family-room/...periences.html (Thailand - Childbirth - Private Hospital - our experiences)

    “Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago”

    .

  3. #3
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 05:13 AM
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Browndog View Post
    I have a mate who has been seeing this Thai chick for about 12 months, plenty of proof of relationship stuff, shes been to Australia on 1 tourist visa (3 months). The thing is she has a bun in the oven now (4 weeks) and he is keen to do whatever it takes to get her here on a permanent basis asap. The critical thing is he wants her to have bub here and stay here from that point on. I reckon he could apply for a fiance visa but that would entail taking the risk of not getting approved in time before bub arrives? Anyone out there know of any other options? Would tourist visa do the job then while shes here get married and stay here? Any help would be appreciated Cheers.
    Post # 3 ^ ploy withstanding, have you also considered having a direct, open & honest discussion with Australian Immigration,...regarding your particular circumstances?
    Last edited by TuskegeeBen; 25-10-2018 at 10:21 PM.

  4. #4
    Member
    moose65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Location
    by the seaside.
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by TuskegeeBen View Post
    Post # 3 ^ ploy withstanding, have you also considered having a direct, open & honest discussion with Australian Immigration,...regarding your particular circumstances?

    have you ever tried to deal with Australian immigration ?

  5. #5
    Member
    Ennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    17-05-2019 @ 10:46 PM
    Location
    Paradise, near Lamphun
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) ... ​Processing time = 13 months (75 % of applications processed)
    https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/300-

    As for having the bub 'here' ... she doesn't qualify for Medicare.
    Private births can be $1,000's of dollars.
    If the infant is born prematurely, a humidicribs (Neonatal intensive care unit) are circa $1,000 a day alone.

    Consider this, if the push is for the baby to have Australian Citizenship then that can easily be achieved by
    the birth in Thailand and applying through the Embassy in Bangkok for 'Citizen by Descent' ... same same
    as Australian Citizenship.

    The couple doesn't have to be married.

    We had our kids in Thailand ... http://teakdoor.com/the-family-room/...periences.html (Thailand - Childbirth - Private Hospital - our experiences)
    Good advice here mate - I went the fiance visa way 20 years back... the pregnancy, will complicate things as David points out. I have found if you are open & up front, with immigration, centrelink, etc.. Aussies are usually fair dinkum and not the "ogres" one thinks...

  6. #6
    Member
    Ennis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Last Online
    17-05-2019 @ 10:46 PM
    Location
    Paradise, near Lamphun
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by moose65 View Post
    have you ever tried to deal with Australian immigration ?
    A man who was traveling came upon a farmer working in his field and asked him what the people in the next village were like. The farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The man responded "They were kind, friendly, generous, great people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

    Another man who was traveling to the same village came up to the same farmer somewhat later and asked him what the people in the next village were like. Again the farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The second man responded, "They were rude, unfriendly, dishonest people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,530
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Consider this, if the push is for the baby to have Australian Citizenship then that can easily be achieved by
    the birth in Thailand and applying through the Embassy in Bangkok for 'Citizen by Descent' ... same same
    as Australian Citizenship.
    Yep. 33 years ago my daughter was born in Fiji. Fijian birth certificate. I registered her birth at the Australian Embassy in Suva, and despite living in NZ until 5 years ago, she got her Australian passport as a matter of course, no problems.

    OP, another reason to have the baby in Thailand is that he/she will have a Thai birth cert, and this may help later on in life if he/she grows up and wants to spend time in Thailand. Give the child options that most people don't have, like my daughter who can live in Fiji if she wanted by dint of her Fijian birth cert.

  8. #8
    Valve Master
    Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,214
    ^ Do you mean that the child will not be able to get Thai citizenship by descent if it is born O/S ?

    Does the actual birth certificate make a difference ?

    I would suggest that, to remove any possibility of prejudicing their individual case, the guy in question have a friend contact the Australian Embassy to get the facts on different options.
    Last edited by Latindancer; 26-10-2018 at 09:18 AM.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Latindancer View Post
    Do you mean that the child will not be able to get Thai citizenship by descent if it is born O/S ?
    I don't know, but TIT and paperwork is important, particularly official, original paperwork. I'm just guessing that an original Thai birth registration is better than Mum applying at the Thai Embassy in Australia....if that's even possible. I don't know.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    07-11-2018 @ 05:58 PM
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    23
    Thanks for your advice mate, that great!

  11. #11
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Last Online
    07-11-2018 @ 05:58 PM
    Location
    Perth Australia
    Posts
    23
    ^ smart arse comments withstanding, no why would I consider doing this when I have a Thai wife and children in Australia already and have done for 8 years?

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    20-05-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,686
    My kids born in Geelong Vic, Thai birth certificates issued by the embassy in about 2 weeks, no real problems.

    Next time in Thailand, 4 days and Thai passport issued.

  13. #13
    Member
    bindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 10:09 AM
    Location
    Sydney / Buriram
    Posts
    225
    Ditto all of that - my daughter was born in Thailand 26 years ago and we registered her birth at the Australian embassy, got her a passport straight away to travel home at three weeks old. We actually took a tuk tuk from the hospital to the embassy with our three-day-old daughter - we were young and stupid, embassy staff were horrified! (No meter taxis in those days.)

    The only downside to 'citizen by descent' is that if my daughter has kids born outside Australia they do not automatically qualify as Australian Citizens.

    So that all went smoothly and we got our daughter a Thai passport no problem two or three years later when back living / working in Bangkok. The only trouble she has ever had with officialdom was the TIT factor - when she applied for her Thai identity card a few years ago on a visit to Bangkok the Thai officer refused to issue her one - only for people who can speak Thai she said. Good old Thai xenophobia on display is my guess. A visit to a different office to see an officer who was in the the network of someone in my wife's network solved the problem. I'm sure if we had stamped our feet we were in the right, but solving it the Thai way was so much easier.

    Back when my daughter was born my wife had no right to remain in Australia. Part of the reason we had the baby in Thailand was so that my wife could apply for permanent residency at the same time - it is not automatic just because she was married & pregnant, but the marriage did earn her a handful of qualifying points.

    Totally irrelevant, but a mate of mine I worked with in Bangkok had a 100% Farang kid born while we were there. That kid - adult now - likes to tell everyone he is Thai. Don't know if he has any actual Thai rights, but I'd love to be a fly on the wall should he take his birth certificate and line up to apply for his Thai identity card!

  14. #14
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by bindog View Post
    The only downside to 'citizen by descent' is that if my daughter has kids born outside Australia they do not automatically qualify as Australian Citizens.
    Mate, great story.

    Interesting your point made above ... I haven't heard that before.
    For the sake of my boys I'll try and see what the current thinking is.

  15. #15
    Member
    bindog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 10:09 AM
    Location
    Sydney / Buriram
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Mate, great story.

    Interesting your point made above ... I haven't heard that before.
    For the sake of my boys I'll try and see what the current thinking is.
    Hopefully I simply misunderstood the embassy people at the time or the policy has changed - always thought it was a bit unfair.

    According to the 'Home Affairs' website I am wrong:
    If your Australian citizen parent became an Australian citizen by descent or by adoption under the Hague Convention or a bilateral arrangement, then that parent must have spent at least two years lawfully in Australia (except for stateless applicants).
    https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/...nt/eligibility

    That 'two years lawfully in Australia' sounds like a fair, logical policy.

    I am pleased to be wrong on that one - I'll let my daughter know.

  16. #16
    Thailand Expat
    jamescollister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Last Online
    20-05-2019 @ 10:36 PM
    Location
    Bunthrik Ubon
    Posts
    4,686
    [QUOTE=bindog;3844156]when she applied for her Thai identity card a few years ago on a visit to Bangkok the Thai officer refused to issue her one - only for people who can speak Thai she said./QUOTE]Got to love Amphor officers, never did that before, so can't be done now.
    Blue book registration, kids need to have Thai names, meaning, I've never registered a foreign born Thai before, don't know how and can't ask as I would lose face.

    Looked at the guy in disbelief, pointed to the Thai birth certificate, names written in Thai.

    Went to the district Gov. phone call and names on the blue book.

  17. #17
    Your local I.Q. Monitor
    Hugh Cow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:55 PM
    Location
    Qld/Bangkok
    Posts
    1,985
    I would suggest you tell Oz immigration she is a mentally handicapped one eyed lesbian muslim in a wheelchair with unresolved gender issues. They'll have her in Australia in a jiffy with a federal parliamentary nomination as the next green candidate for the electorate of Melbourne.

  18. #18
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 05:13 AM
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by moose65 View Post
    have you ever tried to deal with Australian immigration ?
    Yes ^, and I did not have a problem. Immigration (bureaucrats),...have the exact same mentality everywhere. Australia is definitely not uniquely different, in that regard.

    For example: If they (Immigration) catch an applicant either lying or playing dubious interview games, then that applicant gets the "rejection" treatment,...period.
    Last edited by TuskegeeBen; 27-10-2018 at 09:18 PM. Reason: add-on for effect

  19. #19
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by moose65 View Post
    have you ever tried to deal with Australian immigration ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TuskegeeBen View Post
    Yes ^, and I did not have a problem. Immigration (bureaucrats),...have the exact same mentality everywhere. Australia is definitely not unique, in that regard.

    For example: If they (Immigration) catch an applicant either lying or playing dubious interview games, then that applicant gets the "rejection" treatment,...period.
    Ben, please share your dealings with Australian immigration, specifically in relation to the OP

  20. #20
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 05:13 AM
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Ben, please share your dealings with Australian immigration, specifically in relation to the OP
    Lord Sir David,..please try to "mind" your own business,...for a welcomed change...Thank you,..sir!
    Last edited by TuskegeeBen; 27-10-2018 at 08:04 PM. Reason: oo add appropriate punctuation "marks"

  21. #21
    Thailand Expat David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:43 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    7,077
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Ben, please share your dealings with Australian immigration, specifically in relation to the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by TuskegeeBen View Post
    Lord Sir David,..please try to mind your own business,...for a welcomed change...Thank you,..sir!
    ^ Ben, just a simple Sir David would suffice, Lord is just OTT, even for you

    Just trying to help the OP with your extensive experience of dealing with Australian immigration.

  22. #22
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    15,530
    Quote Originally Posted by bindog View Post
    That 'two years lawfully in Australia' sounds like a fair, logical policy.
    Yes it does. Not OTT xenophobic, not limp-wristed tree hugger let anybody in.

  23. #23
    I am in Jail

    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Last Online
    05-05-2019 @ 05:13 AM
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    1,495
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    ^ Ben, just a simple Sir David would suffice, Lord is just OTT, even for you

    Just trying to help the OP with your extensive experience of dealing with Australian immigration.
    DITT_TROUBLE_MAKER!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TuskegeeBen; 27-10-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •