Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Walk-in Entry

  1. #1
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    02-08-2017 @ 04:02 PM
    Location
    slow lane
    Posts
    1,059

    Walk-in Entry

    If I do a land crossing from Laos, will I get a 30 day or a 15 day VOA?


    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Laos into Thailand by land should get you a 30 day permission to stay stamp, assuming you don't have any other visas or anything. Not a "Visa On Arrival"

    You *might* be requested to show *proof* of onward travel though, but in practice, its never been asked of me before.

    Used to be 15 days by land but I think that isnt being followed or it was cancelled.

    Be aware if you already have a stack of 30 day permission stamps back to back. Starts to get questionable then.

  3. #3
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    02-08-2017 @ 04:02 PM
    Location
    slow lane
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Laos into Thailand by land should get you a 30 day permission to stay stamp, assuming you don't have any other visas or anything. Not a "Visa On Arrival"

    You *might* be requested to show *proof* of onward travel though, but in practice, its never been asked of me before.

    Used to be 15 days by land but I think that isnt being followed or it was cancelled.

    Be aware if you already have a stack of 30 day permission stamps back to back. Starts to get questionable then.
    Thanks. I should be OK then.

  4. #4
    Thailand Expat
    Phuketrichard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:48 PM
    Location
    Phuket
    Posts
    1,196
    what passport??

  5. #5
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:32 PM
    Posts
    35,086
    So you can do that twice a year...I suppose you could keep on crossing after that if you had a visa?...Is there a restriction on the number of visas per year?...

    Used to get a double-entry visa in the old days...60 days, I think, then extend it for 30...Good for 6 months, total...Then back for another trip to Vientiane...Rinse and repeat...

  6. #6
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    02-08-2017 @ 04:02 PM
    Location
    slow lane
    Posts
    1,059
    I have one VOA from the airport for 2017. I should be able to walk-in and get my 30 days then.

  7. #7
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by fred flintstone
    I have one VOA from the airport for 2017.
    What Visa on arrival? I think you mean a 30 day permission to stay stamp or 30 day visa exemption. When you walk in without a visa or anything- you get a 30 day permission to stay/visa exemption. Thats not a visa. Its not a VOA. Just a stamp in your passport, thats it.

    And yes you will be fine to get another 30 day permission to stay/visa exemption by land from Laos.

    When you ENTER Cambodia or Laos you get a VOA (sticker) and have to provide a pp photo & fill out a form & pay money. Thats a Visa On Arrival.

    Im assuming you're American.

  8. #8
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    02-08-2017 @ 04:02 PM
    Location
    slow lane
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    What Visa on arrival? I think you mean a 30 day permission to stay stamp or 30 day visa exemption. When you walk in without a visa or anything- you get a 30 day permission to stay/visa exemption. Thats not a visa. Its not a VOA.
    Yeah, it's a 30 day stamp you get at the airport. I thought they called them visas on arrival. But, yeah thats the one. I just want to make sure I get a 30 day stamp and not a 15 day.

    Sounds like like I will.

  9. #9
    Thailand Expat
    Slick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    5,502
    Quote Originally Posted by fred flintstone
    Sounds like like I will.
    You will. And they don't call them VOA's

    That terminology will just confuse people because you don't have a Visa

  10. #10
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Last Online
    02-08-2017 @ 04:02 PM
    Location
    slow lane
    Posts
    1,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fred flintstone
    Sounds like like I will.
    You will. And they don't call them VOA's

    That terminology will just confuse people because you don't have a Visa

    More confusing signals from thai immigration.....They ought to try looking visa up in the dictionary.

  11. #11
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:32 PM
    Posts
    35,086
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick
    Im assuming you're American.
    Fred Flintstone?...California, through and through...Who's your Daddies?...Hanna-Barbera...

  12. #12
    Thailand Expat cyrille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    9,659
    Quote Originally Posted by fred flintstone
    More confusing signals from thai immigration....
    Yes, and they interchange the terms themselves, of course, just to add to the fun.

    Slick's right though...remembering this difference helps.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •