Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 85
  1. #26
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022

    Angry

    I am making some effort for her but she says she knows nothing .

    Which I believe . Totally bloody useless .

    And papers !!!!!! PAPERS ????? Evidence that might help her claim ??????????

    Remember what country we're dealing with here .
    The Land of Shrug.


    Wasp

  2. #27
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    Have you ascertained if they are actually legally married yet? As if they aren't and no will, she will get fuk all, if there is a will the solicitor will contact her letting her know what she's been left providing the solicitor has the contact details of course.

    If they are legally married and no will, going by memory she'd get the house and half of any cash with the other half of any cash split equally between any kids.
    Independence day - June 23 for Brits.

  3. #28
    Member Thedogsbollix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post

    If there is no will and they are not legally married she has a claim to exactly fuk all.
    And further more to that, if the Pomgolian actually give a fuck about her he would of had a bank account in Thailand flush with cash and had a Thai Will written up giving her access to it in the event that he kicked off.

    He ain't done that so the chances of her getting anything given her limited means is fuk all.

    Tough shit department innit.

  4. #29
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    If nothing else this thread has reminded me to sort my will out, haven't updated it for best part of 20 years before I even met my wife or had my daughter.

  5. #30
    Member Thedogsbollix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Last Online
    06-09-2017 @ 08:11 AM
    Posts
    694
    ^

    Any Expat who feels any responsibility to his partner would have provisions in place to take care of her if he strokes out or gets hit by a truck.

    It's only common sense and if ya aint done it ya bint and kids if ya got any will end up at the rubbish tip eating dog shit for breakfast.

    Thailand is fuked if ya not cashed up.

    This guy didn't give a fuk.

    Fookin Pom Eh.

  6. #31
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Thedogsbollix View Post
    ^

    Any Expat who feels any responsibility to his partner would have provisions in place to take care of her if he strokes out or gets hit by a truck.

    It's only common sense and if ya aint done it ya bint and kids if ya got any will end up at the rubbish tip eating dog shit for breakfast.

    Thailand is fuked if ya not cashed up.

    This guy didn't give a fuk.

    Fookin Pom Eh.
    House in the UK is in joint names and owned outright so she'd automatically get that if I suddenly dropped dead, if fact everything else would probably go to her and my daughter anyway as when I made my will left everything to my mother as was a single 18 year old man at the time and had to name a beneficiary and she died back in 2009.

  7. #32
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    21-11-2017 @ 11:44 PM
    Posts
    11,413
    poor woman probably topped herself because of the shame.


  8. #33
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Seekingasylum View Post
    poor woman probably topped herself because of the shame.

    I would certainly never claim to have been the apple of her eye.

  9. #34
    Thailand Expat
    Iceman123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Online
    17-10-2017 @ 07:39 PM
    Location
    South Australia
    Posts
    3,441
    Sounds to me like the deceased had an arrangement only. (Based upon his actions, the and small stipend he sent her) Compound this with the fact that she is clueless about any of his personal and financial affairs and it looks like it for once will be Farang 1 Thai 0

    Her best bet after establishing the facts will be to contest, even on her spurious grounds
    Ambulance chasers may have a go hoping the other side will pay something to settle the estate.

    As she has presumably very little funds the cost of the action could be paid for by the estate.

    Legal advice required at this stage!

  10. #35
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman123 View Post
    Sounds to me like the deceased had an arrangement only. (Based upon his actions, the and small stipend he sent her) Compound this with the fact that she is clueless about any of his personal and financial affairs and it looks like it for once will be Farang 1 Thai 0

    Her best bet after establishing the facts will be to contest, even on her spurious grounds
    Ambulance chasers may have a go hoping the other side will pay something to settle the estate.

    As she has presumably very little funds the cost of the action could be paid for by the estate.

    Legal advice required at this stage!
    By the sounds of it the estate will be worth fuk all anyway, but if you want to contest a will the expense is on you, the executioner of the will maybe able to use any funds of the estate to defend against any such actions in which case only winners will be the lawyers which will do their best to eat up in fees as much of the estate as they can. If there is no will UK law is pretty clear in how any assets are divided up.

  11. #36
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,804
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    he executioner of the will
    <snigger>

  12. #37
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy
    he executioner of the will
    <snigger>
    Executor if you want to be your normal pedantic self, I blame it on another afternoon chilling in my garden drinking copious amounts of beer if it makes you feel a bit better about yourself.

  13. #38
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Apparently there is no Will .

    I know they had a formal marriage in Thailand but I don't know what status that gives in the UK .

    When it comes to Probate .... how do you find what the assets are if the family doesn't want to say ?

    There are plenty of UK women who , in their marriages , have no clue about where assets are being held or what Accounts exist .
    In this case the guy wasn't planning on dying just yet . He was only 54 .

    " I must get my papers and Will sorted out .................. next week . Another beer first . "

    The guy definitely had some cash . Maybe around 20 000 . Owned a decent van . Received disability Pensions. Owned a caravan . But was never healthy enough to move to Thailand and now he's just an urn of dust and it doesn't matter what the legalities are if you can't get your hands on his paperwork to see what Bank Accounts he had . And the family won't say .

    It's very easy for dogsbollix to say that any farang who cared would make sure his wife was provided for . So it must mean if you haven't done it then you don't care . But that's just stupid thinking .
    There are plenty of people who mean to do the work and don't get round to it . They are not expecting to be struck down first .


    Wasp

  14. #39
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    When you say a formal marriage it needs to be legal under British law as otherwise she has no rights as in if just a Buddha marriage that don't mean Jack shit, but if married in an amphur office and has the marriage paper regardless whether or not he registered the marriage in the UK he was still legally married under UK law.

    So basically you need to first find out her marriage status before moving forward as there is no will if they were not legally married regardless of how long they have been together she is entitled to fuk all and his estate will go to nearest relatives. However if legally married and she can prove it she will get at least 50%.

  15. #40
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Posts
    35,130
    There should be someone who can advise this woman...I've seen MP's (in Canada) help with anything from expediting surgery in certain cases to getting a passport in a matter of days...It's their job to help you...

    It's no surprise she knows nothing...What's the first "level" of government in Thailand that she should see?...Starting with a visa on compassionate grounds makes sense...

    And SeekingAss, go forth (or fifth, heh) and multiply, you cantankerous old bitch...

  16. #41
    Hiso member
    buriramboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Last Online
    @
    Posts
    8,686
    As there is no will it's quite simple if they were legally married then she is the main beneficiary if they weren't legally married then as far as the law is concerned she is non existent. While UK law can be a pain in the ass at times in terms of death and who gets what if no will it's crystal clear and totally unambiguous.

  17. #42
    Valve Master Latindancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    9,249
    Quote Originally Posted by buriramboy View Post
    When you say a formal marriage it needs to be legal under British law as otherwise she has no rights as in if just a Buddha marriage that don't mean Jack shit, but if married in an amphur office and has the marriage paper regardless whether or not he registered the marriage in the UK he was still legally married under UK law.

    So basically you need to first find out her marriage status before moving forward as there is no will if they were not legally married regardless of how long they have been together she is entitled to fuk all and his estate will go to nearest relatives. However if legally married and she can prove it she will get at least 50%.
    Exactly.

    So the question is : was the marriage just a Buddhist ceremony ? Or did they sign papers in the Registry / Amphur office ?

  18. #43
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    21-11-2017 @ 11:44 PM
    Posts
    11,413
    WASP you seem to be getting into a bit of a tizzy over this. It is straight forward.

    Did the woman and the farang register their marriage at an Amphur? This is not a complex issue, even for gormless peasants - they are only too well aware of the significance. There are two original copies of the marriage certificate and in the normal way most farang will have obtained certified translations - she was issued with several UK visit visas and I am assuming some evidence of their relationship was submitted in order to obtain them and the most likely document was the marriage certificate.

    Therefore, find out from speaking to the woman - if there was an Amphur "wedding" then she can obtain a further certified copy of the certificate if none is to hand although I would be astonished to learn that the wife did not have her copy in her possession.

    A wedding contracted and sealed within a Thai Amphur and duly registered is recognised by the British Register Office as lawful. It has the same weight as if the marriage was contracted in the UK.

    If it is right there is no will and the man died intestate, then under the Rules the entire estate must go to his lawful wife. Period.

    If he was unmarried and he died intestate then the estate is distributed among surviving relatives - a partner living elsewhere who was not married to the deceased or in a civil partnership has no automatic right of inheritance. She can make her pitch though and argue her position - this will of course delay things and the surviving relatives may decide to do the decent thing to simply cut things short.

    Assuming she is lawfully married and the brother is a cvunt, then she will have to assert herself quickly and write to the brother notifying him that under the intestacy laws she is entitled to the full estate and will apply for a Caveat to be issued preventing probate if he seeks to obstruct her claim. The Caveat is valid for six months and will prevent anyone from being granted probate - either as an Executor or as an Administrator of the estate.

    Simple really, given what we seem to know and assuming an Amphur marriage, then she is entitled to a reasonable sum.

    Otherwise it's uphill but still worth a punt.

  19. #44
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    My thanks to a good number of people writing on this matter .

    SA ......... no I'm not getting into a tizz.
    Several folks asked if there was a Will so I was just reporting that apparently there was no will . ( Say the family ) .

    There may have been a Will which got cremated before he did.

    It's clear though that the state of the Marriage is the crucial item here .
    Despite what you all say .............. I have a sinking feeling that this dense Thai lady is going to say " Mayy Cow Jye " when I ask about the status of the marriage ceremony .

    But I'll give it a try .

    Thank you all again .


    Wasp

  20. #45
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    A question ............ to all and sundry .............. well a request really .

    Can anybody write " Amphur " to me in Thai symbols .

    Two Thai ladies here in England just don't understand what I am trying to ask when I say " Amphur " .


    Wasp

  21. #46
    PAG
    PAG is offline
    Thailand Expat
    PAG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:29 PM
    Location
    Chalong, Phuket
    Posts
    1,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    A question ............ to all and sundry .............. well a request really .

    Can anybody write " Amphur " to me in Thai symbols .

    Two Thai ladies here in England just don't understand what I am trying to ask when I say " Amphur " .


    Wasp
    อำเภอ

  22. #47
    Thailand Expat
    Wasp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Online
    12-09-2017 @ 03:44 AM
    Posts
    2,022
    Thank you PAG .

    Now they are able to read it and they still don't know what it is !!!!



    Wasp

  23. #48
    Semi member
    Jack meoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:50 PM
    Location
    momo's Y-fronts
    Posts
    2,467
    Jesus Christ give me hope.

  24. #49
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Last Online
    21-11-2017 @ 11:44 PM
    Posts
    11,413
    Personally, if they are this stupid I would just fuck them off.

    Life is too short to worry about Thai imbeciles. She's obviously lying to you because she thinks that if the truth were known she's fucked and no one will help her. By affecting cretinism and ignorance she might think she has a chance. No Thai woman doesn't know what a fucking Amphur is.

    Thai peasants are such a bore.

  25. #50
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Posts
    35,130
    Sooner or later, if indeed she isn't a liar (as Crusty up there has hinted), she will need to speak to a Thai who knows where to take it...Same as any country...Lawyer has already been mentioned, but there must be others who have a clue as you "head up the chain"...

    And most of the stuff that's been discussed here will most likely be relevant...

    It's not like this hasn't happened before...

    But it seems you've hit a severe language barrier...For whatever reason...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •