Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 149
  1. #76
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumbitch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo
    There is a practical thing... there are some jobs you couldn't get in your original country... I can think of jobs where I would require security clearance and checking where having any other nationality - even a top-notch Anglophone or NATO country one, could be a problem (maybe not so much for the ones where the Queen is head of state).
    Casual browsing raises other questions to do with tax: http://nomadcapitalist.com/2015/11/2...assport-value/
    And to get back to the OP, why would you risk your first world citizenship for one in a country under military rule and where a single gateway for all internet connections could soon be implemented? LOS is hardly the land of the free...

    Prawit: Single gateway is a must | Bangkok Post: news
    I'm not going to argue about the benefits of dual citizenship.
    You're beginning to sound like a Thai already.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    I am not risking my UK citizenship in the slightest.
    Says who? A Thai lawyer?! Where were they called to the bar? Pattaya?
    My lawyer is an American. He qualified as a lawyer in the US and also got a Thai law degree(yes all in the Thai language).
    So you, as a British citizen are getting immigration advice from an American lawyer?

    Does he work for a proper firm? I mean, if he's good, and has his facts right, then I'm sure he would appreciate the additional business he might get if you were to give us his firm's website URL...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1F2i0rYMj8

    we are all figments of our own imagination.

  2. #77
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    There are more than a few erroneous postings and information on this thread concerning IF a person can hold dual citizenship after becoming a naturalized thai or if a thai who gets citizenship to another country must renounce their thai citizenship.

    No matter what you think you may have read or heard to the contrary the short answer is; NO

    There is not a single law on the books which says a thai has to renounce their thai citizenship when getting citizenship to a different country. Neither is there a law on the books which states a foreigner who becomes a naturalized thai has to renounce their original citizenship.

    Now do not confuse the law with what clueless mid-level gov't paper-pusher at passport control or the immigration office tries to tell you.

    This thread has some good and very relevant posts in it, once you wade thru the b/s posts..
    Is dual citizenship in Thailand allowed ?

    FWIW: most of you people who are "retired" or married to thais, but not working here legally, at the required salary based on your nationality, who don't file thai income tax, etc., can't qualify for thai citizenship or permanent residence status anyway..
    Good post with an excellent link - thanks. Too many people here offering barstool rumours and speculation.
    Quite...
    ...which is why I keep asking you to answer the question and present verifiable facts, instead of just rants and rumour.

  3. #78
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Barty
    This is where I am at now. I am waiting for the phone call to make the appointment to go to McDonalds.
    Got the call yesterday afternoon, need to front up to the McDonalds at the appointed time on this coming Thursday. Was told not to be late.
    Is this for a McVisa?

  4. #79
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    There are more than a few erroneous postings and information on this thread concerning IF a person can hold dual citizenship after becoming a naturalized thai or if a thai who gets citizenship to another country must renounce their thai citizenship.

    No matter what you think you may have read or heard to the contrary the short answer is; NO

    There is not a single law on the books which says a thai has to renounce their thai citizenship when getting citizenship to a different country. Neither is there a law on the books which states a foreigner who becomes a naturalized thai has to renounce their original citizenship.

    Now do not confuse the law with what clueless mid-level gov't paper-pusher at passport control or the immigration office tries to tell you.

    This thread has some good and very relevant posts in it, once you wade thru the b/s posts..
    Is dual citizenship in Thailand allowed ?

    FWIW: most of you people who are "retired" or married to thais, but not working here legally, at the required salary based on your nationality, who don't file thai income tax, etc., can't qualify for thai citizenship or permanent residence status anyway..
    Todd, there is a law that says they have to renounce it, and I've shown it earlier.
    If you believe that information is incorrect, please show how - because I would like the facts to be clear. I'm not interested in winning a debate, I just want to establish what the verifiable facts are.

    If the info you have read comes from a correct and legitimate source - which in the case of the UK would be a government website that states official government policy, or our national legislation site, which contains the actual law for all to read, then in those cases "what you read online" is not "what you think you may have read" (I know you mean forums like this, or personal websites).
    The data laws in the UK mean even if info changes, you can obtain accurate information from any point in time that it was there. It will be verifiable, and stand up to scrutiny.
    This is important, for British people who decide - for whatever reason - to get another nationality, and make potentially legally-binding statements about their domicile, residency, or citizenship, that may affect their ability to return to their country of origin. That point is not about Thai law at all, but British law only.

    Thais only have "effective" dual nationality - they go abroad and get a foreign citizenship, and always have the right to resume Thai citizenship (originally it applied to women only), but technically, even though they may get their passport renewed in consulate in whatever country they've emigrated to, they are no longer Thai. As you allude to, in practice, Thai authorities turn a blind eye to this.
    I don't believe they would turn a blind eye to it for a "farang", and I think anyone who does this, needs to really check their own country's law on this, so they don't end up trapped in a developing country just because they didn't get something official in writing letting them resume their original citizenship. That's all my point is.
    I might well grab dual Thai nationality if the pros outweighed the cons; but I wouldn't do anything like that lightly... who wants to end up as a hard luck story?

  5. #80
    Member John Lennon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    On the outside looking in
    Posts
    547
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.

  6. #81
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    So, it seems increasingly likely that despite the "confidence" and bluster of ChalkyDee, that what he is doing is paying a lawyer to sell him a thing that he cannot buy - namely, dual Thai-British citizenship. What ChalkyDee seems to be at
    risk of doing is either:
    a. losing money to a lawyer who either has his facts wrong or may not be being honest; or
    b. giving up his British citizenship to get Thai citizenship, without the supporting documentation required to be able to resume his British citizenship.

    The former seems to be the more likely outcome... you pay someone money to give you the answer you want; then years down the line, something may happen that completely pulls the rug from under you, and you have no recourse for action - you're fucked. That would wipe the smug grin off anyone's face.

    That's not the kind of "experience" anyone needs...

    ...if you are at risk of doing a very stupid thing, being abusive to people who are trying to protect you from yourself seems rather silly.



    I think this map is not up-to-date, because I don't think Cambodia allows dual nationality.

  7. #82
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Online
    13-11-2017 @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    east of sun west of moon
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by JOHNyoLENNON View Post
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.
    would you like to have a Thai citizenship?

  8. #83
    Thailand Expat

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Online
    13-11-2017 @ 05:57 AM
    Location
    east of sun west of moon
    Posts
    2,790
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    So, it seems increasingly likely that despite the "confidence" and bluster of ChalkyDee, that what he is doing is paying a lawyer to sell him a thing that he cannot buy - namely, dual Thai-British citizenship. What ChalkyDee seems to be at
    risk of doing is either:
    a. losing money to a lawyer who either has his facts wrong or may not be being honest; or
    b. giving up his British citizenship to get Thai citizenship, without the supporting documentation required to be able to resume his British citizenship.

    The former seems to be the more likely outcome... you pay someone money to give you the answer you want; then years down the line, something may happen that completely pulls the rug from under you, and you have no recourse for action - you're fucked. That would wipe the smug grin off anyone's face.

    That's not the kind of "experience" anyone needs...

    ...if you are at risk of doing a very stupid thing, being abusive to people who are trying to protect you from yourself seems rather silly.



    I think this map is not up-to-date, because I don't think Cambodia allows dual nationality.
    tha map is NOT up tp date

  9. #84
    Thailand Expat
    Sumbitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2017 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,596
    ^ This is a definition of the Master Nationality Rule:
    it means that when a multiple citizen is in the country of one of his or her nationalities, that country has the right to treat that person as if he or she were solely a citizen or national of that country. This includes the right to impose military service obligations, or to require an exit permit to leave.

  10. #85
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    26-10-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon View Post
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.
    Do you think this is unfair?

    I wonder if Thais can retire to my country(Scotland) and gain citizenship. Probably, if they married a local. Then again, I doubt there is a long line of people waiting to marry old foreigners, unlike here.

  11. #86
    Thailand Expat
    toddaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Online
    15-11-2017 @ 02:40 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    1,790
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon View Post
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.
    Actually there is NO chance at all that anyone on either a Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa (based on being over 50 and gotten at a thai consulate in your country before you wash up here) OR on a yearly extension of stay (based on being over 50) can get permanent residence status granted.

    Unless you legally work here on the correct visa and unbroken chain of extensions, with a work permit for the requisite number of years, paying & filing taxes, you got no way to get it.

    That's just how the law is written.

  12. #87
    Thailand Expat
    Sumbitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2017 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels
    Actually there is NO chance at all that anyone on either a Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa (based on being over 50 and gotten at a thai consulate in your country before you wash up here) OR on a yearly extension of stay (based on being over 50) can get permanent residence status granted.
    But permanent residence status is different from a retirement visa, innit? The granting of a retirement visa is subject to where you are from, your age and finances, as I understand it.

  13. #88
    R.I.P.
    DrB0b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Last Online
    @
    Location
    ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD
    Posts
    15,804
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    I wonder if Thais can retire to my country(Scotland) and gain citizenship.
    Scottish citizenship? Not yet. Give it time

  14. #89
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    26-10-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by DrB0b View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee
    I wonder if Thais can retire to my country(Scotland) and gain citizenship.
    Scottish citizenship? Not yet. Give it time
    lol, hopefully sooner than later.

  15. #90
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    26-10-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon View Post
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.
    Actually there is NO chance at all that anyone on either a Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa (based on being over 50 and gotten at a thai consulate in your country before you wash up here) OR on a yearly extension of stay (based on being over 50) can get permanent residence status granted.

    Unless you legally work here on the correct visa and unbroken chain of extensions, with a work permit for the requisite number of years, paying & filing taxes, you got no way to get it.

    That's just how the law is written.
    I have heard that it could be possible if one voluntarily pays tax. I can't confirm this though. The tax is the important thing.

  16. #91
    Thailand Expat
    wasabi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:17 PM
    Location
    England
    Posts
    10,435
    You guys know absolutely nothing about Thai citizenship compared to Flukes experienced knowledge in obtaining Thai citizenship.

  17. #92
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    26-10-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    You guys know absolutely nothing about Thai citizenship compared to Flukes experienced knowledge in obtaining Thai citizenship.
    What's your motive here?

    Who is Fluke?

    This thread is to find out information from those who have more experience, duh.

    If you haven't any, why on earth are you posting?

  18. #93
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    this map is not up-to-date
    tha map is NOT up tp date
    That's what I said (albeit in better English ).


    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon View Post
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.
    Actually there is NO chance at all that anyone on either a Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa (based on being over 50 and gotten at a thai consulate in your country before you wash up here) OR on a yearly extension of stay (based on being over 50) can get permanent residence status granted.

    Unless you legally work here on the correct visa and unbroken chain of extensions, with a work permit for the requisite number of years, paying & filing taxes, you got no way to get it.

    That's just how the law is written.
    I think this whole thing is fool's gold. All the evidence points to it being not possible to have real and actual dual nationality, but simply *potentially temporary* Thai nationality, with the proviso that you need to ensure that you have belt and braces documentation from your country of origin to be certain of being able to resume that nationality if this little adventure all goes wrong further down the line.

    Even if you can really actually get it (which, based on lack of evidence, I doubt, despite what any paperwork might say), you face the probability of having to keep going through the rigmarole of proving it to sceptical Thais, especially ones in officialdom and in uniform. They're just not going to believe you; some might even get shirty, and just refuse to deal with you in English, making life difficult.

    You've got to ask the question, what is the point? Is it just to own land, run a business, and stay as long as you want? If so, why bother with dual at all?

  19. #94
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    You guys know absolutely nothing about Thai citizenship compared to Flukes experienced knowledge in obtaining Thai citizenship.
    What's your motive here?

    Who is Fluke?

    This thread is to find out information from those who have more experience, duh.

    If you haven't any, why on earth are you posting?
    ...because his motive is to direct you to someone who has "more experience", duh.

  20. #95
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    26-10-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    You guys know absolutely nothing about Thai citizenship compared to Flukes experienced knowledge in obtaining Thai citizenship.
    What's your motive here?

    Who is Fluke?

    This thread is to find out information from those who have more experience, duh.

    If you haven't any, why on earth are you posting?
    ...because his motive is to direct you to someone who has "more experience", duh.
    I disagree as he didn't post any useful links.

  21. #96
    Member
    ChalkyDee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Online
    26-10-2017 @ 04:54 PM
    Posts
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by melvin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainNemo View Post
    this map is not up-to-date
    tha map is NOT up tp date
    That's what I said (albeit in better English ).


    Quote Originally Posted by toddaniels View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lennon View Post
    In the other forum, there is a comprehensive analysis of this matter. For those of us who came here & have an O-A 'retirement' visa, the chances of gaining permanent residency or citizenship are about zero.
    Actually there is NO chance at all that anyone on either a Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa (based on being over 50 and gotten at a thai consulate in your country before you wash up here) OR on a yearly extension of stay (based on being over 50) can get permanent residence status granted.

    Unless you legally work here on the correct visa and unbroken chain of extensions, with a work permit for the requisite number of years, paying & filing taxes, you got no way to get it.

    That's just how the law is written.
    I think this whole thing is fool's gold. All the evidence points to it being not possible to have real and actual dual nationality, but simply *potentially temporary* Thai nationality, with the proviso that you need to ensure that you have belt and braces documentation from your country of origin to be certain of being able to resume that nationality if this little adventure all goes wrong further down the line.

    Even if you can really actually get it (which, based on lack of evidence, I doubt, despite what any paperwork might say), you face the probability of having to keep going through the rigmarole of proving it to sceptical Thais, especially ones in officialdom and in uniform. They're just not going to believe you; some might even get shirty, and just refuse to deal with you in English, making life difficult.

    You've got to ask the question, what is the point? Is it just to own land, run a business, and stay as long as you want? If so, why bother with dual at all?
    lol, what a heap of baloney!

    It is possible to have dual citizenship - who told you otherwise?

    Do you think someone going for Thai citizenship can't speak Thai lol?

  22. #97
    Thailand Expat
    Sumbitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Online
    13-09-2017 @ 03:03 PM
    Location
    Chiang Mai
    Posts
    5,596
    SPOILER ALERT!!!

    (see below to continue)














    someone

  23. #98
    Fresh Seaman CaptainNemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Online
    20-11-2017 @ 10:59 AM
    Location
    in t' naughty lass
    Posts
    5,050

    Re: "baloney"

    Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDee View Post

    lol, what a heap of baloney!

    It is possible to have dual citizenship - who told you otherwise?

    Do you think someone going for Thai citizenship can't speak Thai lol?
    Your lolling isn't remotely convincing. If you can read, then read the law, it's quoted earlier. If you think it says something different from what the letters and words on the page actually say in real life, then please explain with quotes... it's can't be that hard.

    This isn't a willy-waving competition, this is simply about reading and establishing the facts. All you have presented is a claim from a lawyer who you are paying money to, without any actual substantiation in fact in any way whatsoever at all, ever.

    You may speak Thai, I may speak Thai, but neither you nor I are native speakers, and someone can still make your life difficult in a second language, no matter how fluent you think you are. Large documents, scribbly handwriting, talking fast etc...

    I don't mind if you want to pay someone to tell you what you want to hear, but I do think if you're attempting to post it on here as if it's fact, it needs challenging for simple corroboration. Just prove it... that's all! What's so difficult about that?!

    You seem to be misinterpreting this challenge as something personal, and whilst evading answering simple questions and trying to distract with responses that are not about the topic but just look like personalisation of what is a simple question.

    Why don't you just scroll back through all the questions I've asked you; filter out all your silly remarks; and just front up with up-to-date, credible facts. I'm sure lots of people would like to know what the facts are about this question, and not anything else.

  24. #99
    Thailand Expat
    David48atTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:24 PM
    Location
    Palace Far from Worries
    Posts
    3,414
    Mate, have a read of this thread ... http://teakdoor.com/thai-visas-and-v...-how-does.html (2 passports - Thai and US - how does it work for travel?)

    I never knew that ...

    "DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exceptions: Child born abroad to Thai parents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, person must choose which citizenship to retain."
    Pragmatic gave me the heads and the original article is here
    Perspective is everything ... it's the difference between going through an ordeal or going through an adventure..

  25. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Last Online
    02-09-2017 @ 10:04 AM
    Location
    Bangkok
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by David48atTD View Post
    Mate, have a read of this thread ... http://teakdoor.com/thai-visas-and-v...-how-does.html (2 passports - Thai and US - how does it work for travel?)

    I never knew that ...

    "DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED. Exceptions: Child born abroad to Thai parents, who obtains the citizenship of the foreign country of birth, may retain dual citizenship until reaching the age of majority (18). At this point, person must choose which citizenship to retain."
    Pragmatic gave me the heads and the original article is here
    The information on that Website, at least the information regarding the Thai situation, is totally incorrect.

    Although the Thai Nationality legislation does not specifically allow Dual Nationality, nor does it specifically legislate against it, all it states is that during the year after a Dual Citizen reaches the age of 20 he / she MAY choose to renounce their Thai Citizenship; it is not an obligation and there is no penalty for not doing so.

    Most Dual Citizens simply do nothing and continue to hold Dual Nationality.

    You can also be confident that there is virtually NO chance of Dual Citizenship ever being legislated against in Thailand. Literally thousands of Thais hold Dual Citizenship - many of them in positions of power or influence - and they want the status quo to continue. (I once did an informal survey of Thai friends at the RBSC, and more than 30 percent either held Dual (or in some cases Multiple) citizenships or had children who did).

    Patrick

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •